From the US to the World (1984 Expansion unveilings)

neo_prankster

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the Stars, wonder how it would look if they wore yellow on the road (red pants to avoid mono yellow)

For the Generals, they seem too plain, how about the five star symbol on the shoulders like you see on real army generals? And maybe more use of the gold (striping, trim, however you interpret it)

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

5 hours ago, qckgnc said:

I like what you did with the Gens, I also appreciate the name change to Washington Sentinels. Will you be diving into some of the failed expansion attempts?

I don't know about any failed expansion attempts.

However...

There will be expansion in '84, but there will only be four teams added instead of six, sticking to what David Dixon originally wanted.

18 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

I don't know about any failed expansion attempts.

However...

There will be expansion in '84, but there will only be four teams added instead of six, sticking to what David Dixon originally wanted.

I know Charlotte had a bid that was being put together by then-Hornets owner George Shinn and another individual. 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-02-01-sp-5994-story.html

I know some other teams were supposed to merge personnel going into 86 but idk of any other bids.

3 hours ago, qckgnc said:

I know Charlotte had a bid that was being put together by then-Hornets owner George Shinn and another individual. 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-02-01-sp-5994-story.html

I know some other teams were supposed to merge personnel going into 86 but idk of any other bids.

I'll keep Charlotte in mind. But I also have Columbus as a possibility too.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, qckgnc said:

I'm obviously going to be looking forward to Charlotte the most, will you be reshuffling the divisions now? Or does each team slide into a preexisting division? 

Here's how the divisions will look in '84

Atlantic

Charlotte

New Jersey Generals

Philadelphia Stars

Washington Sentinels

Southeast

Birmingham Maulers

Jacksonville

Memphis

Tampa Bay Bandits

Central

Chicago Fire

Denver Gold

Michigan Panthers

San Antonio

Pacific

Arizona Wranglers

Los Angeles Action

Oakland Condors

Portland Breakers (Formerly Boston)

The tricky part is trying to create a brand for Charlotte that won't spoil the introduction of the NBA Hornets.

I was going to ask about/suggest identities of former teams so I'm glad you went that route. 

Memphis, the Showboat name has always been my favorite but the Hounds and Southmen were cool identities. 

Jacksonville, the Sharks (WFL+Arena) easily the best former pro team imo. The Bulls nickname always felt out of place to me. 

San Antonio was always tough for me because I've never hated a San Antonio brand (the Gunslinger logo is rough but the name was awesome, Commanders in double red was clean, Calvary Blue and Brown was...different) the Gold and Brown of the Texans just seems right.

Charlotte is odd, only teams I know of are the WFL Hornets, and a few obscure minor league teams like the Charlotte Clippers. The original plan was to build a stadium at the Speedway though, that might help with influencing their identity. Assuming you havent decided on one yet.

As you can see, I'm enjoying this series.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:51 AM, qckgnc said:

I was going to ask about/suggest identities of former teams so I'm glad you went that route. 

Memphis, the Showboat name has always been my favorite but the Hounds and Southmen were cool identities. 

Jacksonville, the Sharks (WFL+Arena) easily the best former pro team imo. The Bulls nickname always felt out of place to me. 

San Antonio was always tough for me because I've never hated a San Antonio brand (the Gunslinger logo is rough but the name was awesome, Commanders in double red was clean, Calvary Blue and Brown was...different) the Gold and Brown of the Texans just seems right.

Charlotte is odd, only teams I know of are the WFL Hornets, and a few obscure minor league teams like the Charlotte Clippers. The original plan was to build a stadium at the Speedway though, that might help with influencing their identity. Assuming you havent decided on one yet.

As you can see, I'm enjoying this series.

I actually haven't found an identity for Charlotte yet. The tricky part is how the Hornet name was used by teams in other sports prior to the NBA Hornets coming into existence, but I plan to have the Hornets still be a thing in this universe.

10 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Here is a cleaned up and repurposed version of the WFL Sharks logo, but in a few color variants.

3 and 4 I like , but that boy needs to bare his teeth. He looks bored, even sad that he’s the logo.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Archived