Instances of Transitional Rebranding

Not sure if this counts or what you mean, but after backlash from fans, New York Islanders put their old iconic logo on the fisherman jerseys in 1996 before switching back to their old uniforms in 1998, just in darker colours.

spacer.png

The Vancouver Canucks made their original blue jersey into their alternate in 2006, one year before switching back to their original colour scheme and jerseys with the Reebok Edge makeover.  Unfortunately, the Orca remained.  

In 1979 and 1980, the Mariners wore the trident-star logo on the left sleeve and on the helmet, while retaining the original trident logo on the cap. The trident-star logo would not appear on the cap until 1981.

61DJjE4pnrL._AC_SY445_.jpg

538b973419c632593e9949f1bab189e1.jpg

Here is a shot of Maury Wills during 1981 spring training wearing the 1981 cap with the 1980 uniform.

b57593c011d71e476528281fd0a9eabf--maury-

The Mets introduced the racing stripe uniform on the road in 1982, while retaining the two-button pullover with no racing stripe at home.

71BaJdd2E6L._AC_SY445_.jpg

71J+lpmhwVL._AC_SY445_.jpg

The racing stripe would appear on the home uniform as of 1983.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6579_1996-1997%20CoreStates%20Center%20i

Forgive the video game render. 76ers debuted in the (then) CoreStates Center in 1996 wearing red-white-blue but on a black-heavy court. They'd switch to the black/gold heavy super-turn-of-the-2000s logo/unis the following season.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Can't find a photo, but the Minnesota North Stars had the ST^RS logo on the ice while still wearing the N* jerseys in the SCF against Pittsburgh.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, PepMan33Conde said:

2012-13: Suns' last year with the iconic Nash era uniforms coupled with the new court containing the Suns' now-current branding elements, which was revealed the next year. 

Talking of the Nuggets, they had their own version of a transitional redesign. The first year with Nike, the team went with a navy blue recolor of their previous set. The next year, they unveiled a new rebrand, complete with navy as the new primary color.

A complete guide to the Nuggets' 2018 offseason

There was also a period of 2 years before this where the team briefly wore a powder blue version of the first Nike set, but with more yellow and navy.

Breaking down the Denver Nuggets 2015-16 schedule - Denver Stiffs

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Isn’t WFT technically going through transitional rebranding?

I wouldn’t say that. They just stripped away everything that was associated with the old name and logo because they aren’t ready to change their name. 

10 minutes ago, walkerws said:

I wouldn’t say that. They just stripped away everything that was associated with the old name and logo because they aren’t ready to change their name. 

I would say that if Washington does end up changing their name, then what they're doing now could be called transitional. However, if they decide to remain as WFT and not change anything significantly, then this isn't transitional.

So in other words, it remains to be seen whether what WFT is doing is transitional.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

One year before changing to a black and silver color scheme, the Kings recolored their primary logo to feature mostly black and silver. Minor changes, like the addition of wings to fully enclose the shape, were made before it was showcased when Gretzky came to town to the following year.

spacer.png  spacer.png  spacer.png

The mothership has these primary logos listed as being used from 1975-87, 1987-88, and 1988-98, respectively.

spacer.png

On 10/14/2020 at 7:27 AM, BBTV said:

Can't find a photo, but the Minnesota North Stars had the ST^RS logo on the ice while still wearing the N* jerseys in the SCF against Pittsburgh.

I remember watching that live. I recall a rectangle with that logo on the boards. Being into logos and uniforms, it struck me. I think I knew they were changing their uniforms but for some reason, it did not occur to me that this was going to be the new logo. I thought it was just something they threw out there as a cutesy thing because fans so frequently referred to them as "the Stars."

Another one, but maybe this doesn't count because it might be common...In 1987 I knew the Twins were getting new uniforms, but obviously, leaks didn't get out to the masses back then so I tuned into a spring training game just to see the new uniforms. And they were wearing the previous set (Batting practice jersey and "TC" hats/helmets.  They may have been wearing pinstriped pants; I'm not certain. But I recall being really let down that I was going to have to wait another month to see the new uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 10/14/2020 at 5:27 AM, BBTV said:

No picture, but video.  Around 18 seconds.  Focus top right on Modano.

Archived