NBA Uniforms | Houston Rockets (1/22)

jb1322

Hi there,

I am a college student with a vision of an NBA without generic or ugly uniforms. I want each team to have an identity and a strong brand that defines them. Each team will be equipped with five uniforms. 

Each team will have: 

1. Association-HOME.standard white jersey. Nike logo.  

2. Icon-AWAY.team's primary, iconic color. Nike logo.   

3. Statement-ALTERNATE. team's secondary color. Jumpman logo. Alternate jersey.  

4. Community-ALTERNATE. basically an experimental jersey that fills the role of the city jersey. Nike logo. Alternate that can be worn either home or away.  This uni will always feature the location name. In my vision, community jerseys are reserved for weekend games to sort of differentiate them and make them special. 

5. Legacy-PLAYOFF EARNED ALTERNATE. Every team that makes playoff qualifies for these unis. Embroidered chrome nike logo.  This uni will always feature the team's name. 

COMPLETED SET

1. Atlanta Hawks
  2. Boston Celtics
  3. Brooklyn Nets
  4. Charlotte Hornets
  5. Chicago Bulls
  6. Cleveland Cavaliers
  7. Dallas Mavericks
  8. Denver Nuggets
  9. Detroit Pistons
  10. Golden State Warriors
  11. Houston Rockets

OLD:

Completed Sets on Old Templates [Outdated]:

1. Phoenix Suns 
    1. UPDATE: Phoenix Suns V2
    2. UPDATE: Phoenix Suns V3
  2. Golden State Warriors 
  3. Toronto Raptors 
  4. Houston Rockets
  5.  Atlanta Hawks
  6.  New York Knicks 
  7. Oklahoma City Thunder 
  8. Philadelphia 76ers 
  9. Los Angeles Lakers 
  10. Los Angeles Clippers 
  11. Orlando Magic 
  12. Miami Heat
  13. New Orleans Pelicans
  14. Washington Wizards
  15. Brooklyn Nets
  16. Dallas Mavericks
  17. Minnesota Timberwolves
  18. Portland Trail Blazers
  19. Boston Celtics
  20. Cleveland Cavaliers
  21. Detroit Pistons
  22. Memphis Grizzlies
  23. Charlotte Hornets
  24. San Antonio Spurs
  25. Utah Jazz
  26. Chicago Bulls
  27. Sacramento Kings
  28. Indiana Pacers
  29. Milwaukee Bucks

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll do some general considerations. I appreciate you trying to bring some colour and 90's flair to the teams, something I can relate because I'm a big fan of that era.

But I do agree with @Blindsay, there's just too much going on with the jerseys, a lot of elements feel thrown together just for the sake of it (the side patterns for the Suns Icon, they clash together), and the wordmarks in general need a lot of refinement. Speaking of wordmarks, I notice a pattern where you use a different wordmark for every jersey. Example, for the Suns you used two different wordmarks for "Phoenix", two for "Suns" and one more for "The Valley". That's five different wordmarks. How can you create an identity for a team using five different wordmarks?. My advice is to use one for every name, and try to make it as similar as possible.

With the Raptors, you used both jagged pinstripes and chevrons, but made them both very noticeable. One of them should be more subtle, sublimated.

As for the good things, I like both the Association for the Warriors and the "North" for Toronto, paying homage to the Huskies in an unique way.

Like I said, you have very good ideas, but you might need to take a "less is more" approach to them so they can reach their potential. Choose one element from that jersey and design the jersey around it, not throwing every element into it.

1 hour ago, Agus said:

I'll do some general considerations. I appreciate you trying to bring some colour and 90's flair to the teams, something I can relate because I'm a big fan of that era.

But I do agree with @Blindsay, there's just too much going on with the jerseys, a lot of elements feel thrown together just for the sake of it (the side patterns for the Suns Icon, they clash together), and the wordmarks in general need a lot of refinement. Speaking of wordmarks, I notice a pattern where you use a different wordmark for every jersey. Example, for the Suns you used two different wordmarks for "Phoenix", two for "Suns" and one more for "The Valley". That's five different wordmarks. How can you create an identity for a team using five different wordmarks?. My advice is to use one for every name, and try to make it as similar as possible.

With the Raptors, you used both jagged pinstripes and chevrons, but made them both very noticeable. One of them should be more subtle, sublimated.

As for the good things, I like both the Association for the Warriors and the "North" for Toronto, paying homage to the Huskies in an unique way.

Like I said, you have very good ideas, but you might need to take a "less is more" approach to them so they can reach their potential. Choose one element from that jersey and design the jersey around it, not throwing every element into it.

Thanks for the critiques. I'll keep all this in mind for future sets. I genuinely appreciate the feedback. 

You gotta simplify these. They all got some good elements but jeez there's a lot going on. Certain elements are really nice, I think the design of the purple jerseys could be a good base to start. Try to model the others after that, create a cohesive brand, and you got a nice start

1 minute ago, jaytavo305 said:

You gotta simplify these. They all got some good elements but jeez there's a lot going on. Certain elements are really nice, I think the design of the purple jerseys could be a good base to start. Try to model the others after that, create a cohesive brand, and you got a nice start

When I said this, I was talking about the suns set, didn't see the new ones you posted. Some of em are really cool, I would just try to create one unified look instead of 5 totally different jerseys that all have different word marks/logo placement/stripes, etc. That works for a city jersey, but try to base the set off one jersey design and keep em consistent. Speaking of city sets I love what you did for Toronto and Atlanta's city jerseys, they look sweet. Much improved as this set has gone on👍

Again, thanks for the criticisms. I'm trying to better them and I hope you can see like with the Atlanta set that as more sets are released that I'm taking all of this feedback into consideration. 

• jb1322 changed the title to NBA Jersey Concepts (5/30 SETS COMPLETE)

These are great but very busy. Have you considered adopting Nike's minimalistic approach in your concepts? Less is always more, or so I believe - this said great to see new NBA concepts and these are colorful and fun!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

• jb1322 changed the title to NBA Jersey Concepts - 6/30 (UPDATE: KNICKS ADDED)

Archived