NBA Uniforms | Houston Rockets (1/22)

jb1322

• jb1322 changed the title to NBA Jersey Concepts-8/30 (Lakers Added!)
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • jb1322 changed the title to Adding Some Color to the NBA: Jersey Concepts-8/30 (Lakers Added!)
  • jb1322 changed the title to Colorful NBA Redesigns-9/30 (LA Clippers Added)
1 hour ago, jb1322 said:

Los Angeles Clippers

Association:

hGYbnoC.png

Showtime:

cyubasE.png

Icon:

yu5mHCA.png

Statement:

Vm38MEB.png

Community:

Inspired by the flag of Los Angeles.

QFheVT1.png

Full Set:

iUxQHG6.png

I dig the Icon one.

• jb1322 changed the title to Rebranding the NBA-11/30 (Update: Orlando Magic Added)
48 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

A lot of these just have too much going on...throwing five or six elements onto a uniform just looks bad. 

The whole point of this thread is to go against the Nike minimalistic approach and add something more to the unis. If you want 5 recolors of the same jersey, this is the wrong thread. I've updated some with what I think are improvements like the Raptors set. I already see certain sets I want to redo (maybe streamline the Thunder) so these are all considered a work in progress. The whole point of concepts is to make something different and that's what I'm trying to do with this thread. 

You are improving with the last sets, and I'm glad you embraced the 90's inspiration. While some of them still feel saturated, you made some gems like the Orlando "Showtime". Maybe doing the entire uniform with the night pattern you used at the sides would look great.

Some fonts might need work. The "Philadelphia" one is nice, but it looks thick and might be illegible from far. The "Magic" looks kinda generic, too.

Keep it up!

57 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

A lot of these just have too much going on...throwing five or six elements onto a uniform just looks bad. 

I agree with this.  There is a real disconnect with logos from different eras being shoved together and accompanied by loud, overly busy fills and patterns.  The numbers get lost in many of these because they're forced into busy background images or they're given a busy fill pattern that clashes with everything around them.

Another issue is font choice.  Most of the wordmarks that aren't part of the team's actual package are very generic and clash with the rest of the look.

VmWIn6B.png

I'm sorry, there's just too much here. I applaud the creativity on display but the designs are just overloaded. Everything's too loud and cluttered. 

I understand what you're setting out to do but it's not my cup of tea. 

I think the best jersey you've made so far is the Magic's "Showtime" - it's simple, reads well, and has a very solid foundation. All that's going on is the wordmark and number on the front, the collar striping, the space side panels, and the stars at the bottom of the shorts. That said, in general, like others have said, you've got way too much going on in each jersey. I fundamentally disagree with giving every team a black jersey, but it works for teams like Orlando or Toronto who already use black. It looks out of place on the others. Additionally, and this is something that I'll never like, but each set feels disconnected from each other, there's little to no connecting elements between each jersey. The sails on the shorts of the Clippers is a good start, it helps keep every jersey connected within the same set. Not every jersey has to be color swaps of each other, but it would do well to have at least the white and primary colored jersey to share a design.

You've got some good ideas, but I would recommend making the designs simpler.

the user formerly known as cdclt

26 minutes ago, jb1322 said:

The whole point of this thread is to go against the Nike minimalistic approach and add something more to the unis. If you want 5 recolors of the same jersey, this is the wrong thread. I've updated some with what I think are improvements like the Raptors set. I already see certain sets I want to redo (maybe streamline the Thunder) so these are all considered a work in progress. The whole point of concepts is to make something different and that's what I'm trying to do with this thread. 

I realize the point is to make something different and creative, and I appreciate it...but at the same time, it has to be easy on the eyes.

There's very little cohesion among any of them for any team (which might be the point but I'm not sure it's a good thing). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I realize the point is to make something different and creative, and I appreciate it...but at the same time, it has to be easy on the eyes.

There's very little cohesion among any of them for any team (which might be the point but I'm not sure it's a good thing). 

I appreciate the feedback. I see it as Nike has 3 different templates: usually one is used for association and icon, one is used for statement, and one for city.

I added a showtime jersey to all the sets so I have 4: usually I have my white and primary jerseys similar (look at the Orlando set), and the black and secondary similar and then the community edition.

In my sets, I view the white and the primary color (ex. blue for Magic) jerseys are the standard set. Just those two. The other three are alternates that would not be worn nearly as much as the white and primary so I try to do something a little different with them. I'm just trying to explain my reasoning for some of them but I do want to expand their brands and allow them to have different looks.

1 hour ago, QCS said:

I think the best jersey you've made so far is the Magic's "Showtime" - it's simple, reads well, and has a very solid foundation. All that's going on is the wordmark and number on the front, the collar striping, the space side panels, and the stars at the bottom of the shorts. That said, in general, like others have said, you've got way too much going on in each jersey. I fundamentally disagree with giving every team a black jersey, but it works for teams like Orlando or Toronto who already use black. It looks out of place on the others. Additionally, and this is something that I'll never like, but each set feels disconnected from each other, there's little to no connecting elements between each jersey. The sails on the shorts of the Clippers is a good start, it helps keep every jersey connected within the same set. Not every jersey has to be color swaps of each other, but it would do well to have at least the white and primary colored jersey to share a design.

You've got some good ideas, but I would recommend making the designs simpler.

I'm taking all these comments into consideration and I'll begin looking back on some sets to simplify before creating anymore. 

• jb1322 changed the title to NBA Rebrands V2: Updating the Phoenix Suns

Welcome to V2 of my rebrands. Let's go back to the beginning with the Phoenix Suns.

Phoenix Suns (V2)

Association:                                     Icon:                                     Statement:                                   Showtime:                                 Community:

q1ob46L.png

How do you feel about the new simplified V2 set?

The constellation doesn't add anything behind the number.  It clutters and looks like a mistake in the embroidery process.

Also, the community wordmark doesn't work.  It's way too generic.

Another general issue - the front numbers need to be scaled down.  They take up WAY too much space.

VmWIn6B.png

7 hours ago, jb1322 said:

Welcome to V2 of my rebrands. Let's go back to the beginning with the Phoenix Suns.

Phoenix Suns (V2)

Association:                                     Icon:                                     Statement:                                   Showtime:                                 Community:

q1ob46L.png

How do you feel about the new simplified V2 set?

Yes! Constellation is my only problem, but that's a nice set!! Gaudy enough to look awesome and keep with the theme of this thread, but restrained enough to really work in the league. How about trying a white star on the white shorts to match the rest, and orange arm and neck holes on the icon? This looks really dope, can't wait to see more teams with these connected designs 👌

Archived