What if Every NHL Logo Passed The "Doodle on a Notebook" Test?

Bruins

So I'm not entirely sure where or when it started, but I've heard bandied about the notion that the best sports logos, or maybe even best logos in general, should be able to be drawn by a bored 3rd grader on his notebook during class. I agree with this opinion generally, even if there are quite a few exceptions.

The Flyers, 80's Phillies, Hawks, Whalers, Atlanta Flames, Buffalo Braves, etc. all have that classic 70's style logo look to them and are some of my personal favorite Big 4 logos thanks to that.

So I got to thinking, what would the NHL look like if every logo passed the doodle test? And after a good while and a whole lot of doodling myself, here's my answer.

I redesigned every team's emblem and tried to keep each as simple and easily replicated as possible.

For creativity's sake I redid iconic and already very simple logos like Philly, St. Lou, and Montreal, and even remade the NHL logo itself.

Let me know what you think of these little nuggets and whichever teams you'd like to see tweaked or elaborated, I'll tweak or do a few jersey sets and maybe small merch sets.

Thanks People!

IoqW5qP.jpg

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

I can see a child drawing these logos without any difficulties. Great job there! My fav would be the Flyers, the Blackhawks, the Habs, the Leafs, the Jets and the Canucks. The Rangers and the Isles are well made in the sense of integrating the letters in an imagery tied up to their branding.

How about taking a step further and do the same with the defunct teams?

These are excellent! I've thought about doing something similar in the past, but never got around to it, and mine wouldn't have been this good anyway. I do agree with @WideRight about Tampa; I had to think about it to figure out what it was (thought part of that is the unfamiliar colours) and it does seem unnecessarily complex. The LA one is my favourite, maybe one of my favourite logos from this board. The genre of logo you describe is my favourite too, and your Kings mark fits it perfectly. Others near the top of my list are Columbus, Detroit, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Vancouver. Great work.

Cool!  I especially like Ana, Chi, Car, NYI, Sea, StL, SJ.  Personally I think improvements could be done for Bos (what's on the right?), Col (blue is hard to see on burgandy... I remember drawing the real thing many times as a youngster!), LA (maybe move the crown up more?), Tor (appears to form "Y", could that morph to a "t"?).

This is incredible, love concepts and ideas like this!! I saw somebody mention doing this for the other major 4 sports, and I would totally love to see what you could come up with there, especially for the NBA. Some of my favorites include Arizona, Buffalo, Colorado, Florida, the Islanders, Seattle, and St. Louis. Can we talk about how cool that Sens logo is tho! Shame with such cool branding and colors they went for the old 2d logo this time around, I absolutely love your abstract take on their helmet with the two tone red and black circle, and how the red makes the plume of the helmet... so cool. 

Guest darkpiranha

Neat concept, but I'm with some of the others in being confused why you went away from the obvious easily-doodle-able existing logos like a lightning bolt or Vancouver's rounded rectangle with hockey stick?  There are just some that are iconically doodle-able. Anaheim, Boston, Montreal, New Jersey, Rangers, Toronto and St. Louis are all easy to make doodles of from memory.    If your mandate was to REdesign each logo as a minimalist new version, then sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great concepts.  Growing up in the 70s I would doodle logos and interlocking letter.

Well done Bruins !!!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived