Potential new Sydney Swans (AFL) logo?

-kj

Looks like the official AFL online store may have prematurely leaked a new logo for the Sydney Swans.  A Google image search turned up a match from theaflstore.com.au, but the image link is now just a data:image URL, meaning the actual image on the AFL store site has already been deleted.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I believe I saw that they cant use the opera house because of licensing? So does this mean teams in America can get license fee'd for using city skylines in designs? Seems a little wild to me. I like the upgraded swan but the logo feels off for good reason

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

8 hours ago, flyersfan said:

I believe I saw that they cant use the opera house because of licensing? So does this mean teams in America can get license fee'd for using city skylines in designs?

Skylines, probably.  Individual buildings on their own, no.

It’s that way in the US. Individual buildings have secured trademark protection over their distinctive design.  They can be used in context, but not alone.  So the Mets can use the Empire State Building in their logo alongside several others (if they weren’t already grandfathered, which they might be), but no team could come out today with a logo featuring the building on its own.  Not without securing a license, anyway. 

I used to work in film, and this came up all the time.  You can shoot a scene in a supermarket without having to secure permission from every product on every shelf, but if a character sits down to a bowl of breakfast cereal you better have a clearance for the box.  To get back to our ESB example, you can pan past it in an establishing shot of the city, but you can’t set any scenes inside unless you’re willing to pay for the privilege. 

Still doesn’t excuse the terrible new Swans logo, though. 

8 hours ago, flyersfan said:

I believe I saw that they cant use the opera house because of licensing? So does this mean teams in America can get license fee'd for using city skylines in designs? Seems a little wild to me. I like the upgraded swan but the logo feels off for good reason

The Sydney Opera House is a publicly owned building, but for some reason the government have allowed the Opera House trust responsible for the running of the building to enforce this licencing issue, which is just garbage. The Opera House is arguably Australia's most famous monument. It certainly is for Sydney. I completely disagree with how this has been handled, and it's not only the Swans. A few other Sydney based sports teams, like the NRL Sydney Roosters and A-League Sydney FC have had the same issue.

I don't really mind the Swan, but it's a big downgrade. The aesthetic has gone from upmarket and timeless to bush league. The overall style has totally changed and it doesn't have the same feeling of history and class.

@Gothamite shared my exact feelings about the choice to use just a head. To get it to read as a swan they've had to include a pronounced face ballsack when just showing the neck would have done that in a much better way.

"It's important to note that the design of our guernsey isn't changing and our jumper will continue to retain the Opera House sails." 
- Sydney Swans CEO Tom Harley

If a licensing issue with the Opera House Trust is truly at the heart of the logo change, how is it that the structure's signature sails will still feature prominently, front and center, in the team's guernsey design?  

Eh, it looks less classic and more 'trendy-sports-team-design' that will need to be updated again in 15 years when styles change.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

A swan would so easily be incorporated into the letter 'S', and I would have liked to see this explored more. 

On a lighter note, I always knew the Opera House silhouette was on the guernsey but liked to think of it as a swans feathered bum. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived