Sign in to follow this  
CS85

MLB Offseason 2021: Hot Stoves, Bat Flips, & Bubbleball

7:56AM:  Biden takes the lead in PA, America's attention is diverted

8:16AM:  "Steve - STEVE!  Tweet it out!  Hurry!

6 hours ago, DEAD! said:

It is nice of the red Sox to use the recycling cart...

it does have a whiff of the way European soccer teams repeatedly recycle the same coaches — even on the same team! — letting old bygones be bygones, but also it makes the most sense of any other candidate.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

it does have a whiff of the way European soccer teams repeatedly recycle the same coaches — even on the same team! — letting old bygones be bygones, but also it makes the most sense of any other candidate.

Bygones... like cheating?

10 minutes ago, QCS said:

Bygones... like cheating?

Yes, the cheating for which he’s served out his punishment.

continuing the soccer metaphor, nothing new about a dramatic scandal evaporating a few years later, so the point stands.

Justin Turner isn't gonna be punished. What a joke... He should've been at least fined.

17 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Justin Turner isn't gonna be punished. What a joke... He should've been at least fined.

I'm completed disgusted by this, but I wonder if this is the fault of the MLBPA/CBA as much as it is Rob Manfred being feckless. Like with the Astros scandal, there wasn't a punitive code put in place to give the commissioner's office the ability to fine and/or suspend. Even if Manfred wanted to punish Turner, it probably wouldn't survive the appeal, given how weak MLB's safety protocols and enforcement have been all season long. That's probably why the league is admitting some responsibility here. I would have given him a 30 game suspension and/or forced him to forfeit his World Series bonus. Obviously that would be a total non-starter with the MLBPA in the picture.

However, the rhetoric from all parties (Turner, MLB, and the Dodgers) really sickened me because none of them really seemed to acknowledge how potentially devastating his selfish actions could have been. They all seem to build up what kind of stand-up player and member of the community is, although one should have guessed that was the PR angle they would take. Turner's statement read like a long excuse and did not truly reflect on the severity of his actions. If he wanted to truly sound contrite, he should make a sizable donation to a pandemic relief fund.

The bottom line is that MLB really needs to beef up its protocols for next season and have an actual system to enforce them. All other professional sports are making them look bad.

I think Manfred should have made an example of Turner. In a time where cases are on the rise again, Turner was reckless and downright ignorant with his actions.

There needs to be zero tolerance in each and every sport around the world during the pandemic and baseball just gave up a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th. (Please excuse my bad analogy)

2 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I think Manfred should have made an example of Turner. In a time where cases are on the rise again, Turner was reckless and downright ignorant with his actions.

There needs to be zero tolerance in each and every sport around the world during the pandemic and baseball just gave up a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th. (Please excuse my bad analogy)

I have a feeling that there may be a new... let's just say, "influencer" leaning on the pro sports leagues to enhance and enforce their protocols next year.

Considering it's highly unlikely that Average Joe will be vaccinated by March, and that the sports leagues shouldn't get any preferential treatment with he vaccine like hey did with the tests, the protocols will likely need to be in place for at least a few months into the MLB season.

Unfortunately I don’t think anything will change unless and until they trace a death or close to it to a sports team being careless.

I thought the fact Eduardo Rodriguez missed the entire season with virus-induced heart inflammation might be a scared-straight moment. Guess not!

I don't know. Some new national mandates on testing and mask wearing and contact tracing -- what other successful countries have done to combat COVID -- may make a huge dent in rate of infections and ultimately the rate of recovery. There are no silver bullets, but having federal partnership in attacking COVID rather than embracing it may help all sports leagues recover quicker.

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't know. Some new national mandates on testing and mask wearing and contact tracing -- what other successful countries have done to combat COVID -- may make a huge dent in rate of infections and ultimately the rate of recovery. There are no silver bullets, but having federal partnership in attacking COVID rather than embracing it may help all sports leagues recover quicker.

I don’t think who’s in the White House has much to do with baseball players being unaccountable dumb putzes about the killer pandemic, if that’s what everyone is getting at.

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

I have a feeling that there may be a new... let's just say, "influencer" leaning on the pro sports leagues to enhance and enforce their protocols next year

MOD EDIT: No politics.

Edited by officeglenn

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Well, today, at least one person is a Cardinal.

The Cardinal Way:

When reached by ESPN on Monday night, La Russa said, "I have nothing to say," and he hung up the phone.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30288007/chicago-white-sox-manager-tony-la-russa-charged-dui-stemming-february-arrest-court-docs-show