MLB Offseason 2021: Hot Stoves, Bat Flips, & Bubbleball

CS85

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And let this be an official moderator warning.  The politics/religion talk has hit the point of going too far.  All that's needed to have been said about Schilling, Coonrod, and BLM has been said.  Next topic, please.  Or continued mockery of the Rockies.  Whichever you prefer.

VmWIn6B.png

Don't understand what "expanded powers" the players were afraid of Manfred having.  I would have expected the MLBPA to like the DH and expanded playoffs, as that should equal more money for their players, while the other temporary rule changes like the runner on second and 7-inning DH would theoretically reduce risk.

162 games is too much - 154 probably is too, but I'd take the reduced innings if they're paying me the same either way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Don't understand what "expanded powers" the players were afraid of Manfred having.  I would have expected the MLBPA to like the DH and expanded playoffs, as that should equal more money for their players, while the other temporary rule changes like the runner on second and 7-inning DH would theoretically reduce risk.

162 games is too much - 154 probably is too, but I'd take the reduced innings if they're paying me the same either way.

I heard somewhere that the language in the proposal made it seem like he would have the ability to cancel or pause games at will, or something to that effect. Don't know how accurate that is.

16 hours ago, Cujo said:

Has there ever been a worse trade in the history of the game?

To St. Louis:
Nolan Arenado
Fifty million dollars cash

To Colorado: 
Austin Gomber
Elehuris Montero (14)
Tony Locey (26)
Mateo Gil (28)
Jake Sommers (unranked)
(STL system prospect rank)

I can think of two Cardinals trades that were more lopsided than this one

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Tony Clark’s taking whatever sympathy last season garnered and is proceeding to drive a steamroller over it. MLB is giving them things they want, even giving them a full paycheck, but the hill the players decide to die on is game cancellations in a pandemic? The “we’re big boys and we know the risks” argument is not a good one PR-wise with (most of) the general public.

VmWIn6B.png

So when I posted about the Arenado trade last week, I didn't realize that it was the Rockies sending the 50 million to St Louis instead of the other way around. Good lord. Seems like with Goldschmidt two years before, Arenado should've been a Rocky for life.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

On 1/31/2021 at 3:24 PM, BBTV said:

His main stated reason for not kneeling is that he's a Christian and can't kneel for anyone but god.  Don't get me wrong - if I was as pea-brained as this guy and was a multi-millionaire despite it, I'd probably believe I was blessed by a higher power too.  But if one can't do a simple act like take a knee because of a god?  That one is a loon.  

Not for nothing, but there are plenty of sane, rational people who believe in a "higher power." How about you dial down the ridicule by about 85%?

FWIW, I won't take a knee for anyone or anything. Period. Doesn't matter if I believe in the cause or a higher power, or whatever, I ain't doing it. What does that make me? 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

FWIW, I won't take a knee for anyone or anything. Period. Doesn't matter if I believe in the cause or a higher power, or whatever, I ain't doing it. What does that make me? 

A stand-up guy?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, LMU said:

Tony Clark’s taking whatever sympathy last season garnered and is proceeding to drive a steamroller over it. MLB is giving them things they want, even giving them a full paycheck, but the hill the players decide to die on is game cancellations in a pandemic? The “we’re big boys and we know the risks” argument is not a good one PR-wise with (most of) the general public.

My issue with this is I'm not sure what the alternative is.  If they can't postpone or cancel games, what do they do when there's an outbreak?  Even if they follow all the rules, it's just gonna happen, and it seems like if I'm a player, I'd actually prefer that games could be postponed for safety reasons.  Starting a month later also increases the chances that some of the team staff (even if not the players) have received the vaccine.  It just seems to make to much sense.

It kinda seems like they're not going with it just because it wasn't their idea and they're afraid to actually agree to anything.

Cardinals trade Dexter Fowler and cash (reported to be $12.75m) to the Angels for a player to be named later. Only seems to free up about $1.75m, so not necessarily much of a "salary dump". 40-man roster wasn't full either, but it does allow for some younger players to get in the line-up while also keeping open the possibility of adding another OF.

On 2/2/2021 at 1:32 PM, BBTV said:

Under the current CBA more playoffs do not actually get more money for the players IIRC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just now, rams80 said:

Under the current CBA more playoffs do not actually get more money for the players IIRC.

Maybe.  I don't know how that works.  But if a guy that's a FA after next year can say that he lead his team to the playoffs, that probably earns him more than if not, and more playoff slots = more guys with playoff experience.  Also more opportunities for guys to earn World Series and playoff shares.  I'm still not sure how it would be a negative from a player perspective.

I see you haven't been paying attention to the free agent market the last few years.  Most of baseball has decided it won't spend on FAs period, regardless of past accomplishments.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

12 minutes ago, rams80 said:

I see you haven't been paying attention to the free agent market the last few years.  Most of baseball has decided it won't spend on FAs period, regardless of past accomplishments.

Is that really any difference than it's ever been?  It's almost always the same handful of teams that are willing to pay, and in the past couple of seasons, outsiders like San Diego and Toronto have given some guys really big deals in addition to the usual suspects like NYY, NYM, LAD, LAA, PHL, and WAS.  I think even Cincinnati paid a few guys a lot of money.

1 hour ago, ninersdd said:

Dodgers get Trevor Bauer. Kinda like the Red Wings adding Marian Hossa after they won it all. The best get better. :(

Seriously? A big-named player is going to a team in big market LA? I'm speechless.

At least he stays in the NL, if you're one of those people who root for the leagues (ASG, etc.).

Archived