Sign in to follow this  
CS85

MLB Offseason 2021: Hot Stoves, Bat Flips, & Bubbleball

Recommended Posts

I am posting this both here and in the COVID thread.

 

Dave Dombrowski to continue Nashville's baseball expansion team effort while in Phillies post

 

https://twitter.com/NashvilleStars/status/1337467270994554884

Edited by Walk-Off
fixed the links

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Expansion into Bravesland still feels like fool's gold to me. I wish there were two places to put new teams but I'm not even sure there's one. I feel like the Nashville expansion talk was just a way to goose Dave Dombrowski's joining-and-leaving-front-offices numbers. Now he's churning through teams that don't even exist!

 

Las Vegas will probably be interested because they probably feel like they can host NHL, MLB, NFL, MLS and NBA.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s still Portland Diamond Project, but that has all the momentum of a gastropod at the moment. 
 

MLB expansion is a fool’s errand. Finding optimal land for a stadium, getting financing approved (hopefully private money), and building a team organization is a lot more complicated and requires more long-term thinking than the NFL or NBA/NHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mania said:

Wasn't expecting this to break on a random Sunday night...

 

 

Just stay Indians for 2021. Don’t be the “Baseball Team” If they wanna remove Indians from their uniforms and just have “Cleveland” on them, ok. But you don’t have to have that in between boringness. Washington was necessary because their name was a derogatory term and they waited too long to keep it while selecting a new name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

They're coming after the Blackhawks next.


There’s still the Braves and Chiefs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:


There’s still the Braves and Chiefs. 

 

Not to mention the Pacers and Colts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BBTV said:

 

Not to mention the Pacers and Colts.

And the Lions, Tigers and Bears.

 

Oh my.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, McCall said:

Just stay Indians for 2021. Don’t be the “Baseball Team” If they wanna remove Indians from their uniforms and just have “Cleveland” on them, ok. But you don’t have to have that in between boringness. Washington was necessary because their name was a derogatory term and they waited too long to keep it while selecting a new name.

I saw this on CBC Sports, so I say, call them the CBC (Cleveland Baseball Club)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Word on the street is that JT Realmuto wants something like 4/100 or 5/125 to resign with the Phillies.  He's probably the best in the game, but those sound like absurd numbers for a 30-year-old catcher.  Even with the DH in the NL now, it doesn't make sense since when he eventually becomes a part-time or no-time catcher, he's not a $25M/year hitter.  He's good, but not that good.

 

With the Mets now out of the running, who's going to give him that kind of $?  I doubt it'll be the Phillies since they just laid off all their employees and said they need to trim payroll since they lost so much money last year.  The "managing partner" is a billionaire and willing to spend, but with their ownership model, it's not necessarily up to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 6:35 PM, SFGiants58 said:

There’s still Portland Diamond Project, but that has all the momentum of a gastropod at the moment. 
 

MLB expansion is a fool’s errand. Finding optimal land for a stadium, getting financing approved (hopefully private money), and building a team organization is a lot more complicated and requires more long-term thinking than the NFL or NBA/NHL.

By the time it's all said and done, Portland Diamond Project will end up as nothing more than an apparel brand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BBTV said:

Word on the street is that JT Realmuto wants something like 4/100 or 5/125 to resign with the Phillies.  He's probably the best in the game, but those sound like absurd numbers for a 30-year-old catcher.  Even with the DH in the NL now, it doesn't make sense since when he eventually becomes a part-time or no-time catcher, he's not a $25M/year hitter.  He's good, but not that good.

 

With the Mets now out of the running, who's going to give him that kind of $?  I doubt it'll be the Phillies since they just laid off all their employees and said they need to trim payroll since they lost so much money last year.  The "managing partner" is a billionaire and willing to spend, but with their ownership model, it's not necessarily up to him.

The NL has reverted back to no DH. And MLB has instructed teams to plan as if there will not be a universal DH in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McCall said:

The NL has reverted back to no DH. And MLB has instructed teams to plan as if there will not be a universal DH in 2021.

 

Where did you see that?  I could have sworn that DH was sticking in the NL for another 'temporary' run in '21, and then adopted for real after the season.

 

Doesn't necessarily change my point since he'd still be primarily a catcher in '21, but any NL team would need to know for sure if/when universal DH is coming if they're going to give him a long term deal.  He could always play 1B, but typically you have a power guy there so you'd be weakening your lineup (in theory.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BBTV said:

 

Where did you see that?  I could have sworn that DH was sticking in the NL for another 'temporary' run in '21, and then adopted for real after the season.

 

Doesn't necessarily change my point since he'd still be primarily a catcher in '21, but any NL team would need to know for sure if/when universal DH is coming if they're going to give him a long term deal.  He could always play 1B, but typically you have a power guy there so you'd be weakening your lineup (in theory.)

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/will-mlb-have-universal-dh-in-2021-league-is-currently-not-planning-on-it-per-report/

 

They announced during the World Series that all pandemic-implemented rules would revert back to the status quo upon completion of the 2020 season, including universal DH, runners on 2B to start extra innings, 7-inning doubleheaders and rosters back to 26 player max. Doesn't necessarily mean it won't eventually happen for 2021, just that it's not clear enough at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive deal with Snell going to San Diego for a prospect haul. 
 

I hope SD lets Snell go deeper into games than TB did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DDR said:

Massive deal with Snell going to San Diego for a prospect haul. 
 

I hope SD lets Snell go deeper into games than TB did.

 

Another great deal by the Rays IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Fans" (and I use the quotes only because I'm suspect they actually follow the team) always lose their collective minds when someone of note gets traded from the Rays.

 

I get it, it sucks, but its the Rays front office's MO.  For the most part it usually pays off in the end too, and I do like the return for Snell with top pitching prospect Luis Patiño and a catcher like Mejia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

"Fans" (and I use the quotes only because I'm suspect they actually follow the team) always lose their collective minds when someone of note gets traded from the Rays.

 

I get it, it sucks, but its the Rays front office's MO.  For the most part it usually pays off in the end too, and I do like the return for Snell with top pitching prospect Luis Patiño and a catcher like Mejia.

I'm still livid that the Rays traded Archer for Glasnow and Meadows.

 

Worst trade in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 9:30 AM, TBGKon said:

"Fans" (and I use the quotes only because I'm suspect they actually follow the team) always lose their collective minds when someone of note gets traded from the Rays.

 

I get it, it sucks, but its the Rays front office's MO.  For the most part it usually pays off in the end too, and I do like the return for Snell with top pitching prospect Luis Patiño and a catcher like Mejia.


I figured Snell would be gone after he reacted like he did for getting pulled during the WS, but it’ll be interesting to see how he handles having to hit most outings, as well as how he handles a lineup after the second time through. I guess we’ll learn if he is a true Cy Young pitcher or just an average one. He’ll have a huge advantage with that SD ballpark, but, and a favorable matchup depending where he lands in that rotation. I think the Rays made the right move and got a great return

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this