MLB Offseason 2021: Hot Stoves, Bat Flips, & Bubbleball

CS85

It'd be one thing if Schilling were a surefire Hall of Famer who was also a dumb dick, but he's more or less the same pitcher as Jack Morris, who was a hell of a pitcher but still a borderline case, so I can see how poor character can be the deal-breaker. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Schilling, he just went off the deep end (again) against a Philly radio guy.  For context, the radio guy in question is an older guy that's not a 'hot take' guy or a troublemaker at all.

Full context here: https://www.crossingbroad.com/2021/01/now-weve-got-curt-schilling-tangling-with-glen-macnow-calling-him-a-fraud.html

glen-macnow.jpg.webp

glenn.jpg.webp

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, Curt Schilling was in the same theater as me when we saw Star Trek First Contact.  I remember saying to a friend "god, he's so fat in real life!"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Toronto is going to be stacked in the lineup this year. Vlad Jr., Bichette, Biggio, Teoscar, and adding Springer and Siemien. They also added to the bullpen with Kirby Yates.

I feel like it's going to take a year for the team to gel together, but adding to shore up the back end of the rotation, and making sure they don't grind Ryu into dust; 2022 is shaping up to be a year that may have Toronto kicking down the door in the AL.

Their starting lineup is strong enough to keep them in a lot of games this year. It's just can the pitchers pick up the slack if the lineup has an off day; and vice versa.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

3 hours ago, ninersdd said:

St Louis gets Nolan Arenado from Colorado. 2nd time in 3 years getting a star player from the NL West. Return appears to include 50 million in cash.

"Cardinals, please have our best player. We only ask for a few warm bodies to fill our double-A roster in return. Oh, don't forget to also take this $50 million!"

Man, fxck the Rockies. Poverty ass franchise. 🚮

6uXNWAo.png

16 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Please do some basic research before furthering the myth that Ty Cobb was an evil racist caricature

Ty Cobb was just an example for the argument that "Player A was a Bad Person and He Got In So Why Not Schilling?". I'm not editorializing on the goodness of Ty Cobb, only saying that our standards can and should improve over time. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, Cujo said:

"Cardinals, please have our best player. We only ask for a few warm bodies to fill our double-A roster in return. Oh, don't forget to also take this $50 million!"

Man, fxck the Rockies. Poverty ass franchise. 🚮

And for all teams to send him to... ugh. Was hoping for a few years without St. Louis in the hunt. I am curious to see his production when he’s not playing half of his schedule in Coors Field. His stats should come back to reality a little bit. 

59 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

And for all teams to send him to... ugh. Was hoping for a few years without St. Louis in the hunt. I am curious to see his production when he’s not playing half of his schedule in Coors Field. His stats should come back to reality a little bit. 

The Cardinals just reload whenever they feel, giving up virtually nothing, getting mega-stars at their peak because they can take on money. Fleeced the Dbacks for Goldschmidt. Now Aernado, Would've had Stanton had he not invoked his no-trade clause. Just another day in St. Louis really. 😒

6uXNWAo.png

I think my favorite part of Schilling's "you can't fire me, I quit" screed is the part when he tries to drum up pity for his wife with cancer that she has to hear all these horrible things at HOF time every year. Like, if you want to protect your wife from the mean world, why not just go away for a while instead of spending 15 hours a day arguing with strangers on Twitter? Even as someone who is online enough to post on a message board, I cannot fathom what is so wrong in this man's brain.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

John Smoltz is a pretty outspoken conservative, is he not? He's not a loon like Curt Schilling, but I think he's one of those FCA types and has certainly leaned old-school in his television analysis in a way that's distasteful to the liberal hegemony that has taken over sportswriting. But what was anyone gonna do, not elect John Smoltz? 

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

John Smoltz is a pretty outspoken conservative, is he not? He's not a loon like Curt Schilling, but I think he's one of those FCA types and has certainly leaned old-school in his television analysis in a way that's distasteful to the liberal hegemony that has taken over sportswriting. But what was anyone gonna do, not elect John Smoltz? 

In the words of pre-total crazy Olbermann: "If the Hall of Fame discriminated against conservatives, there'd be like five people in it." Baseball players generally skew conservative, but given the sport's demographics, it's not going to cause as much uproar.

However, I am glad the Giants have ostracized Aubrey Huff. He can cry in front of his 2012 participation trophy/ring. 

17 hours ago, BBTV said:

Also, Curt Schilling was in the same theater as me when we saw Star Trek First Contact.  I remember saying to a friend "god, he's so fat in real life!"

He always looked fat when I saw him on TV. I just always thought that was the camera adding several pounds. I guess that isn't the case.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Mo Rivera has been a Trump guy since the start and a dear friend to New York's conservative Jewish community. His HOF thing turned out alright.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I would not have guessed either of those things. But yeah, exactly, even if Schilling just tweeted Beyonce gifs all day, he would barely make it over the finish line if he did at all. Classic liminal guy.

Speaking of complete loons, the Phillies traded for this POS.  He's one guy I won't cheer for unless it's the final out of the World Series.

Prior to the Giants’ Opening Night matchup with the Los Angeles Dodgers on July 23, 2020, Coonrod was the only member of either club to remain standing during a “moment of unity” intended to support the Black Lives Matter movement.

Coonrod cited his faith as a Christian as his rationale to remain standing, explaining he believed he would be a “hypocrite” to kneel “before anything but God, Jesus Christ.”

“I’m a Christian,” Coonrod said at the time. “I can’t get on board on a couple of things I’ve read about Black Lives Matter, how they lean toward Marxism and said some negative things about the nuclear family.”

Archived