NHL ЯEVERSE RETRO best guesses (all 31 teams as of 11/15)

Edubdesign

If you're a hockey fan and a uniform nerd, you've probably heard about Adidas' latest design idea - something it calls the ЯEVERSE RETRO series, basically a special fauxback uniform for every NHL team this coming season. The brand released a video this week showing what we can assume are the colours and the season the jersey will throw back to.

So, naturally, I took that and ran with it - in the past two days, I've made mockups of all 31 uniforms we *could* see once this comes out. Some of these are outright guesses, while others are concepts using what we know as a jumping off point - a few are just what I'd like to see. Anyway, here it goes.

Let's start with the eight Pacific division teams.

99ySsoL.png5Dn0WYv.png5qFuSSS.png8UqWxh0.pngrFEeeEA.pngkR8Tfad.png1pBlD6Y.pngPy3LMN1.png

Very nice job with your concepts! My thoughts on your predictions...

Anaheim Ducks

Quite close to what they are unveiling. Only question remains is the sleeve striping. I hope the Ducks eventually go back to their original uniforms, minus the shoulder logo.

Arizona Coyotes
Very very nice. I quite dig it despite me usually being very traditional in my jersey design preferences. Your landscape design looks better than the original alternate jersey.

The only thing I find doubtful the team will use is the exact logo because it has Phoenix on it. I hate the team changed its name and they are avoiding the former name publicly.
Evidently the case when they upgraded the current Kachina alternate jersey and removed that city name on the crescent moon logo and it just says "Coyotes".

Calgary Flames

We do know it is black with a white flaming C logo on the shoulders. I cannot stand the flaming horsehead logo, but I fear that will be what is on their Reverse Retro jersey.

Edmonton Oilers

Looks pretty good to me. I have a feeling they are going to reverse the colors in the primary logo on this jersey.

Los Angeles Kings

Likely what they are going with except the name and numbering fonts will be the traditional block style as they were on the Gretzky era uniforms.

San Jose Sharks

I LOVE your concept. I wish the Sharks would try wear this jersey. From what I saw in the teaser, it appears the sleeve numbers are white against a black background.

Vancouver Canucks

That actually looks better than I expected. Not bad for that gradient jersey with the current colors.

Vegas Golden Knights

Looks almost exactly what they are going to unveil except it will be gold outlining the numbers instead of black. Will have the primary logo on the shoulders.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your Reverse Retro predictions.

I will now comment on your Metropolitan Division predictions...

Carolina Hurricanes

Absolutely gorgeous. I would buy that immediately. Based on their teaser, a green Pucky logo will be on the shoulders. Looks like the name is navy blue.

Columbus Blue Jackets

Not a fan of their likely Reverse Retro as I have not for any of their logos. Except perhaps the current alternate logo with the cannon.

New Jersey Devils

No complaints at all. Not a Devils fan, but they did exactly what reversing a retro means. If Lou Lamoriello was still running that team, he reluctantly allows it.

New York Islanders

Knowing they would get ridiculed again by many if they brought back the "fisherman" jersey, Lou likely again went ultra conservative with something from 1980.

I prefer the name and numbers fonts on their navy jerseys from 1998 to 2007. The current ones are too big and blocky. May be a yawn for many on what they are putting out.

New York Rangers

Very nice! If they use the same arched nameplate and its font style as their current uniforms, this would look even better.
The teaser does not have a red collar, so that might be the notable difference so far. I worry they will flip the sleeve colors from the original "Lady Liberty" jersey.

Philadelphia Flyers

I dig it! I fully expect that to be the final design.

Pittsburgh Penguins

Your design is exactly what they should have went with. I'm not a fan of that shoulder yoke they had back the jersey back then (the grey with the pinstripes).
But the leaked design stinks. I do not know what people see in a lazy, disjointed look. I personally hate wordmarks on hockey jerseys, so that is already a strike against it.
The Rangers are the only team that can pull that off and still look good. Other teams like the Penguins and Avalanche tried to copy it and looked crappy.
A reversed jersey with "PITTSBURGH" on it looks terrible and highly disappointing.

Washington Capitals

Your design is better than what likely is the reverse retro jersey. Cleaner, and without that cartoonish Capitol Building logo. I hope the number doesn't overlap the hem stripe.

Looking forward to your next set of predicted designs!

If the original Calgary striping is swapped to be primarily yellow, then I think the collar should swapped around to be more yellow than red as well. Yours definitely looks good without any white; bummer that the logo from the real teaser was white.

Love that you went with the fin logo for San Jose. Definitely prefer that over the original shark-in-triangle logo.

For the Whalers one, the white name & numbers are kinda hard to read. You might go green or blue instead. I like the gray helmets!

I'm not a fan of the real-life desert landscape jersey or their decision to go with purple, but despite that I think your take on the Coyotes is really nice! The moon logo goes well there, and the silhouetted mountains look good. I might make the black sleeve stripe thinner to match the black hem stripe, but that's it. It's not accurate to the teaser, but I'd love to see a version in burgundy instead of purple!

My thoughts on the rest of your predicted jerseys...

Chicago Blackhawks

I know they are based on the 1940 style uniforms, but I just hope the Blackhawks do not put the large numbers on the front. Big two thumbs up on the red shoulder yoke.

Colorado Avalanche

I would have preferred the route you took, but their teasers already show the Fleur-de-lis on the shoulders and hem. Only question is what the crest logo will be.

Dallas Stars

I much like your design over what has been widely predicted. The current primary logo I did not like at first but has grown on me. Looks great here.

Minnesota Wild

Good concept and prediction, but for me it is a no go if they don't make that a North Stars throwback complete with the N logo on the front.

Nashville Predators

How you arranged the sleeve striping is better than what the team originally had. I like the current numbers better, Ibut  won't be surprised if they go with the original here.

Saint Louis Blues

Totally in love with them going with a red version of their 1990s throwback, the definition of what the purpose of a reverse retro jersey is supposed to be.
I'm hoping for white lettered names. Unsure if the numbers should also be white or stay gold outlined in blue to match the original blue jersey.

Winnipeg Jets

Absolutely perfect. I really hope that is exactly it. And it is BETTER than the original Jets' actual 1979 uniforms.

Boston Bruins

That is likely to be exactly what they are going with. Plus that angry bear on the shoulders.

Buffalo Sabres

Based on their teaser, the "goat head" primary logo is on the shoulders, so I really do not know what to expect on the front. Never was a fan of that era of those jerseys.

Detroit Red Wings

Just a flip of everything from their home red jersey. I like you using red sleeve stripes instead of what Icethetics is predicting with silver.

Florida Panthers

Excellent take on their reverse retro, but I hope it is exactly a throwback to the original navy blue alternate jersey. So far, the teaser suggests it and I love it.

Montreal Canadiens

As long as it is the regular number font, the teased jersey is perfect! I love it that they are trying blue for a change.

Ottawa Senators

That is perfect as well for their current look. I'm hoping the sleeve numbers are also white.

Tampa Bay Lightning

I like it! I just hope the pit stripes are not that easily visible. Only if the player lifts their arms.

Toronto Maple Leafs

I know some people especially in Toronto did not like the previous logo, but I wish they kept it. Hoping for the standard block font for the name plate.

Again, great job. We shall see what the real ones look like tomorrow!

Archived