RBronish

NFL Reverse Retro (16/32 NE/NYJ)

As you’re surely aware by now, the NHL unveiled its “Reverse Retro” program, which attempts to reimagine a chapter from each team’s visual history in a new color scheme. Today I'm going to start to imagine the NFL team-by-team for all 32 franchises.

Before we get to that, it’s worth mentioning that like IRL Reverse Retro, it’s a fun idea that works really, really well in some cases … and not so well in others. As we see with so many league-wide uniform programs, attempting to force-fit an every team into a certain template or concept doesn’t always work. So there will be some home runs, but there will be some that swing and miss. I am well aware there may be some stinkers, but feel free to comment and criticize either way.

Let's kick things off...

Chicago Bears

spacer.pngspacer.png

Inspiration: 1936

Recolored version of the Bears' current throwback jersey which debuted in 2019 with orange and white flipped. Hall of famer Bronco Nagurski wore the original '36 uniform.

Excited for this!

The above uni is so much better than the wannabe Broncos jersey Chicago sported last night

Excited for this as well.

I can’t think of a better league wide program than reverse retro, and wouldn’t be surprised if other leagues start adapting it. 

bears look great!

I love applying this idea to leagues other than the NHL, and I’m looking forward to this series. 

Detroit Lions

spacer.pngspacer.png

Inspiration: 1957, Detroit's last NFL Championship

Color swap of the Lions' current throwback. This uniform was worn by Bobby Layne and during the season where San Francisco blew a 20-point 3rd quarter lead against Detroit in the playoffs.

Green Bay Packers

spacer.pngspacer.png

Inspiration: 1967; 2nd straight Super Bowl win and Vince Lombardi's final season with Green Bay

Yellow jersey, green numbers with GWGWG sleeve stripes. Current helmet, pants and socks are used

Minnesota Vikings

spacer.pngspacer.png

Inspiration: 1969 road uniform

Purple colored with YWY UCLA stripes. Worn during last NFL championship season and first Super Bowl appearance

Cincinnati Bengals

spacer.pngspacer.png

Inspiration: 1988 AFC Champions

Orange version of the jersey worn by Norman "Boomer" Esiason and Elbert "Ickey" Woods

Cleveland Browns

spacer.pngspacer.png

Inspiration: 1950 NFL Champions

• Orange jersey with BWBWB stripes
  • Socks matching sleeves
  • Helmet stripe removed

Baltimore Ravens

spacer.pngspacer.png

Inspiration: 1996 inaugural season

This one is one of the more extreme reversals

• Black jersey
  • Gold numbers
  • Purple pants with large white stripe and current alternate logo on right thigh
  • Hybrid helmet and sleeve logos

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 11/23/2020 at 12:57 PM, RBronish said:

Baltimore Ravens

spacer.pngspacer.png

Inspiration: 1996 inaugural season

This one is one of the more extreme reversals

• Black jersey
  • Gold numbers
  • Purple pants with large white stripe and current alternate logo on right thigh
  • Hybrid helmet and sleeve logos

spacer.pngspacer.png

Always wanted to see these uniforms in a black jersey and purple pants, and it is surprisingly good!

Very cool! I like that Baltimore one more than expected, I'm excited to see what you've got for the Panthers!