H4H57VV.pngb3m1a0C.pngT1npk4P.pngQU6KCU5.pngFEVPOQN.png

P3P72NW.pngNjf1LGX.pngPUS0hCk.pngLrsJWB6.png2acVSue.png

REZ3xy8.png4cfO3ZE.pngskxxBnL.pngJT1IyOv.pngVDhzXut.png

5BstgJp.pngDr981C0.png1Xj138S.pngiJnsuOc.pngcTgbrNL.png

gBw4u0O.png0rpu84p.pngcbVf0HU.pngk46boqj.pngtp6lIlT.png

GtFWI1r.pngeNophYO.pngwWDvVjH.pngGxtv7xh.pngQcIAHn9.png

FtSP3ih.png9o65DUU.png6hF5tpS.pngv9zfTCL.pngkH3Pxo6.png

tiSMULR.pngyXiUwGB.pnglAUmgCE.pnglEZKhX6.png

With my 72 Project winding down, I thought to myself, "Maybe a break would be nice, get through the semester, and then start a new series." Well then the Reverse Retros were officially released. And then I said screw the break, let's jump into my next project, because honestly, I have no self control. Since the NBA style of doing jerseys is all the rage right now in the concept world, that was the genesis for this idea. 4 jerseys for every team, though there will be no "Association, Icon" style names. Home, Away, Alternate and a Legacy slot were the original four jerseys. Then it became 5 with the advent of the Reverse Retro jerseys. 

I'll be doing teams in order of how they finished the regular season, starting with the dregs of the league (Detroit *sheds tears*) and ending with Boston. Seattle will be featured, likely after Boston. 

PsApIGu.png

Home - Away: If you were expecting sweeping changes for the home and away jerseys, then you're in the wrong thread. I tried that in the last NHL thread of mine, simply trying to match the home and away jerseys. So the away jersey is unchanged. The home jersey does change ever so slightly. The hem stripe, formerly running into the hem, moves up to match the away jersey as a stripe. Other than that, the pants, socks and helmets are all the same. 

5tA2xMX.png

Alternate - I always felt an affinity to the Stadium Series uniforms and felt that with some tweaks, they could be a good alternate that doesn't hurt the Red Wings brand. So I decreased the slant on the chest stripe from the original, and allowed it to continue on the back of the jersey. The sleeves now have stripes and don't run off the ends of the sleeves anymore. Winged Wheel moves to the shoulders. Modern D logo on the chest. Slightly larger stripes on the socks. No changes to the pants. Gloves change up the colors a little. 

Legacy - Revisited the '27/'28 and 75th anniversary jerseys. Kept it largely the same. Bevy of stripes on the chest, DETROIT in the middle of the big one. Stripes on the sleeves to almost match the chest. Socks match the chest stripes. Pants change the Winged Wheel logo to the Old English D. Helmet also uses the Old English D. 

TlDGlwZ.png

Reverse Retro - Literally anything would have been better than what the Wings actually went with. White and Grey? I get it, how do you RR a team that has had 4 total uniform styles in their history? Maybe dig just a little deeper? I went with the '28/'29 Cougars uniforms, and Reversed Retro'd them! Red base, white elements. Rolled with the 2014 WC script and the shorter wing. Used the pants from the Legacy jerseys. Also the red helmet now has the Old English D instead of the wordmark

C&C is welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1972 Project is officially wrapped up, meaning I can devote my time here fully now. That should mean no more long layoffs between teams. 

zpRFRHx.png

Home - Away: Count me in the camp that isn't a fan of the Sens going back to basically their inaugural look. Don't get me wrong, it's better than the uniforms they're replacing, but I don't like the move. So what I tried to do for Ottawa, was try and capture the sense of history of professional hockey in Ottawa in a unique uniform. What I mean there is "capture the essence of the Barberpole, without going full barberpole" The double stripe that has come into play in recent years was a good start. So on the jerseys, the stripes on the sleeves double up, creating a sense of the barberpole without destroying your retinas. I went with the criminally underused profile Senator logo on the chest. Double stripe on the hem. Went back to the more "romanesque" number font, with the blocky NOB font. Socks match the stripes on the sleeves, pants match the hem line. I also kept the split shield logo with Ottawa Senators as the pants logo. 

V3m6FjB.png

Alternate - I was hesitant to go with a black home and a black alternate jersey, but ultimately, the design didn't work as well on red. Anyways, still with the barberpole in mind, I kept an early draft for what the primary uniforms were going to look like. This time with a triple stripe, heritage/vintage white (I always thought Ottawa made good use of it) and the O logo. Tie down, striped collar. Still with the Roman font and blocky NOB font. No stripes on the pants. Brought back the striped O logo as a pant logo and a helmet logo. Socks have the same stripes as the jerseys. 

Legacy - NORMALIZE WHITE ALTERNATES!! NORMALIZE WHITE AT HOME (sometimes, not full time). Returned the Senators back to their original white jersey, in its original glory. Original logo on the chest, S logos on the sleeves. Bigger double hem stripe on the, well, hem line, which follows the curve of said hem. Back to the block number font, which is on top of the stripes on the sleeves. 

W7ElE5i.png

Reverse Retro - I really have no complaints with what Ottawa did for their RR. It makes sense, but really just feels like an alternate jersey when looked at with the new set, which was probably done by some degree of design. So I decided to go with the alternate from 2000-2007 and with red and black flipping places on the jersey and on the socks. Almost went with a red helmet, but I didn't like it.  Front facing Senator logo back on the chest, Peace Tower logos on the shoulders. Same pants as the Legacy jersey, love how that works out. Laurel leaf pattern on the sleeves and hem line. Same style stripes on the socks, sans leaf pattern 

C&C welcome!

On 11/18/2020 at 4:14 PM, builtbymachines said:

Can you place the source uniforms for your Reverse Retro presentation(s) somewhere? I don't think you need to get fancy, but just placing the pictures next to / above / under would IMO be greatly appreciated.

Here is the Cougars one that influenced your Redwings Reverse Retro in case anyone wanted to see.

That was my bad on the Detroit post. I meant to link those but forgot it before I posted it

Moving forward, the inspiration for the Legacy and Reverse Retros will be posted in the descriptions. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Awesome work so far! I'm glad to see someone else take a shot at Nike-fying the NHL since it reminds me that I need to get back to mine. I've still got work to do.

I really like the use of the updated 2D centurion on the Senators. It's a much better logo than the original.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

ECNfJSp.png

Home-Away: These are probably the first big "risk" I'm gonna take. At first the "stripped down, make players skate faster" thing seemed dumb, but after comparing those uniforms to the first Edge uniforms, the stripped down ones win hands down. So I continued the asymmetricity by taking off the bottom white stripe, making the orange stripe just a little bit bigger. Oh, big change. I retired the chomping shark. They have two different shark logos going on, and personally, I wanted to give the newer shark logos a chance to stretch their fins. Fonts stay the same. On the shoulders is the SJ monogram logo with the new full body shark. Pants are stripeless, and on the front, the orange shark fin logo returns. 

ohP2w6T.png

Alternate - So the alternate stays black. This time, the Fin logo becomes the chest logo, moving the mean shark to the shoulders. The stripes on the sleeves and the socks is inspired by the waves from the chest logo, starting with a thinner orange stripe and moving down through a teal gradient. The numbers are also outlined in a similar gradient, which I do admit does get hard to see next to the white, but I feel like it won't be a huge issue with white numbers on a black background. Pants, helmets and gloves stay the same as from the home uniform. 

Legacy - We're gonna party like it's 1991! Back to the popular inaugural teal uniforms, in their complete existence. Spoiler alert, I attempted to reverse retro these in black, but that flat out failed and I see why they went elsewhere for the RR's

svU2O8Z.png

Reverse Retro - It does feel like a cop-out to copy the actual Reverse Retro, but realistically, I have no complaints about them. And since we don't have a full look at the uniforms, I took my own stab at the socks. It might technically make it a little less "reverse retro" but I tweaked the socks so that the color blocking matches the jersey stripes. You can compare these socks to the real uniforms here if you need to. 

C&C appreciated!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I like the vibe you've got going for Ottawa, though I've always thought the laurel jerseys would be a good base for their home/away look.  My only problem is that the numbers as shown are far too wide; I'm picturing a double-digit number, and the numbers would at best take up the entire back of the jersey, and I have my doubts they'd fit at all.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ehhhh, I don't think you'll be able to finish this series. You seem like a quitter. /S

Detroit's darn near perfect. The RR is superb, those'd look real sweet on ice. 10/10

Ottawa's great as well, the home uni is such an effortlessly coherent combination of their many design directions.

The smallest of sugs, maybe an extra black outline around the back # on the alt? 8/10

San Jose's H/A are very realistic, if not a tad underwhelming. A good look. The Alt. just doesn't do it for me, feels a bit too 'conceptual' if that makes sense. Could be the sleeve stripes, they're very novel, but maybe a little muddy visually. 6/10

Great start, looks like another incredible series!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Before I jump into the next teams, I'll get a couple updates out of the way. 

17 hours ago, NoE38_Concepts said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the white and orange stripes on the hem for the home and away, but other than that, This is a beautiful Sharks look.

0qXeDkH.png

Matched the stripe on the hem to the ones on the sleeves. 

13 hours ago, Bruins said:

Ottawa's great as well, the home uni is such an effortlessly coherent combination of their many design directions.

The smallest of sugs, maybe an extra black outline around the back # on the alt? 8/10

9gYIhvO.png

Added that extra outline to the back numbers. 

17 hours ago, -kj said:

I like the vibe you've got going for Ottawa, though I've always thought the laurel jerseys would be a good base for their home/away look.  My only problem is that the numbers as shown are far too wide; I'm picturing a double-digit number, and the numbers would at best take up the entire back of the jersey, and I have my doubts they'd fit at all.

Yeah the more I look at it, you're probably right about the numbers. I can never seem to get those right ... 

13 hours ago, Bruins said:

San Jose's H/A are very realistic, if not a tad underwhelming. A good look. The Alt. just doesn't do it for me, feels a bit too 'conceptual' if that makes sense. Could be the sleeve stripes, they're very novel, but maybe a little muddy visually. 6/10

I might sleep on the alternates for right now and come back to those. It does feel very conceptual and best left on the cutting room floor. I might take a stab at it again, but I also might not if I can't find a better alternative. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I wish the Sharks used a lighter teal, the color teal is just really nice in sports. 

Grizzlies (Vancouver) used it and looked amazing with it. 

I hate that the orange/yellow in the logo, it should be Teal, Silver, Black, and White. 

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

As I look at my schedule and realize that the amount of free time I'm gonna have is gonna be small for a couple weeks, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get another team up. 

YmZhMBH.png

Home - Away: I could have just fixed the problems with their IRL home and away uniforms, matching the hem stripes. But where is the fun in that? So the home and away's are sort of a "Forward Retro", I guess you could say? I recolored the '80-'88 jerseys to fit the black and silver themes right now. Back to the crown logo as the main jersey logo. Used the new wordmark logo to form a new LA monogram which takes its place on the shoulders. I did keep the font, despite not exactly matching the new wordmark, it still fits the vibes in my opinion, so it sticks around. Socks match the hem stripes. I also reformed the primary logo, into one more reminiscent of the Gretzky era logo. It currently takes it's place on the front of the pants. 

XFymEvV.png

Alternate - I almost went with a straight color swap for the alternate. But I changed from that, reworking the 2014 Stadium Series jersey into a more normal uniform. Complete shoulder yokes, more normal stripes and just more normalcy in general. The new "global" logo is on the chest, LA still on the shoulders. I almost went with a silver helmet on these, after seeing it used with the 2020 SS jersey, but it didn't mesh with the design. Idk, maybe it's me, I just think the black helmet works better with it. 

Legacy - Not much of a debate here on these. Going with the original (between all the variations from '67-'80)  Forum Blue uniforms, this time with the era appropriate hem stripe treatment, but otherwise it all stays the same as from the previous Heritage Nights uniforms. 

5yR1lDq.png

Reverse Retro - Come on. Once you saw Wild Wing was coming back, I know there's at least a few of you that wanted to see good ole Burger King come back 😂. Now granted, the real RR that the Kings went with is gorgeous and easily the better choice than this, but just for the shock factor, I wanted to try it out. Yellow base, with purple to white gradients found throughout. Burger King head on the chest, era-appropriate Kings logos on the shoulders. Tried my best to replicate the number and name fonts. I got probably as close as I could. Since they wore their normal white socks with these, I recolored those to fit here. Helmet and gloves come over from the Legacy jerseys, plain purple pants for these. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived