NHL by Nike: Expansion: San Diego

colinturner95

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While this may offend some of you, it really warmed my heart to see all three of the California NHL teams near the bottom of the standings this season. 

... he said as his Red Wings flounder ... 

BhD9X0a.png

Home - Away: Everyone of my NHL threads (save for the NHL Habs one) has seen me flip flop between Mighty Ducks identity and Anaheim Ducks identity. This time, I think I landed somewhere in the 2/3rds split between the two. On the jerseys, if you look close enough at the white jersey, the color blocking is actually the same as the current IRL white jersey. This time however, there's no swoop to the stripes, they are angled. Hem line is straight, with the same stripe applied. I tried reversing the design exactly to the orange jersey, which is now the primary home jersey, but the black cuffs, as it worked out, didn't work for me, so the home jersey takes on a similar, but more refined, appearance to the Stadium Series jersey from a few years back. D logo on the chests, and on the pants. Old Chest logo from the Stanley Cup jerseys finds its way to the helmets.  Socks match their respective jersey sleeves. 

f89ILF6.png

Alternate - I almost settled on a straight color swap (think Vegas gold jersey) but I tweaked the striping enough to be different in that respect, but the overall structure is still the same. This time the D logo moves to the shoulders, moving the era confused oval logo down to the chest. Socks match the sleeves. I can't think of too much else that needs said on these. 

Legacy - This felt like an absolute layup. Either option from this era would have worked, but I went with the white jersey this time. These feel like the more widely known of the Mighty Ducks uniforms. I can't quite explain why, I think it was because I saw them in a movie or two when I was younger. Maybe you guys have seen them, I think they're called "The Mighty Ducks" or something like that. 😂 /s. 

q1iiOJ1.png

Reverse Retro - Back to back layups IMO. They brought it back in white for the IRL program which has led people claiming Wild Wing is crashing through a pool rather than ice. Well making it eggplant fixes that issue pretty quickly. Other than that, stays pretty much era correct, save for the now straight nameplate which also sits on the shoulder yoke due to the template. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

So much good stuff here.

• Sens: Every version of the Sens uniforms is right on the money. Would love to see them use all of those permanently.
  • Ducks: Beautifully done but I never liked the gold color. Would love to see the gold replaced with the plum purple to see how that would look. 
  • Kings: I'm more of a fan of the 90's logo on the front instead of the crown. 
  • Detroit: Just awesome. Historic, simple yet all concepts are varied enough to give it a difference. 

These are all my personal opinions but these concepts are on the money. 

Joe

I'd add the shoulder patch to the Ducks' legacy jersey. They vastly improved their look when Nike added that shoulder patch back in the day.

On their alternate, that modern shoulder patch really doesn't work as a primary. I'm not feeling it.

In all, though, if you're not going to make them wear the Mighty colors full-time like I did in my Nike series, going with orange as the primary color is the best choice.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

8 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I'd add the shoulder patch to the Ducks' legacy jersey. They vastly improved their look when Nike added that shoulder patch back in the day.

On their alternate, that modern shoulder patch really doesn't work as a primary. I'm not feeling it.

In all, though, if you're not going to make them wear the Mighty colors full-time like I did in my Nike series, going with orange as the primary color is the best choice.

XIDPEpa.png

Swapped having shoulder logos in essence. Without another real alternate logo, I left the oval on the chest and left the shoulders blank. Legacy jersey gets the shoulder logos from 1995-2006 restored. 

20 hours ago, Elf Plus Productions said:

So much good stuff here.

• Sens: Every version of the Sens uniforms is right on the money. Would love to see them use all of those permanently.
  • Ducks: Beautifully done but I never liked the gold color. Would love to see the gold replaced with the plum purple to see how that would look. 
  • Kings: I'm more of a fan of the 90's logo on the front instead of the crown. 
  • Detroit: Just awesome. Historic, simple yet all concepts are varied enough to give it a difference. 

These are all my personal opinions but these concepts are on the money. 

I'm not sure how black, orange and eggplant would work together. With the current color scheme you have black (darkest color), orange (lighter color) and gold (change of pace trim color). If you replaced the gold with eggplant, you'd have two dark colors competing with each other and it would muddy the look IMO. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

If would say if you're going to add eggplant to the modern color scheme, it should replace black for the reasons you said. These have been great so far, that Kings reverse retro is perfectly cheesy.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I have the next team ready and I don't really feel like sitting on them too long. 

w1x0ZBK.png

Home - Away: Back to basics. There's nothing inherently wrong with what Adidas did, but it doesn't feel like the Devils. So it's back to the 1992-2017 look, which is the quintessential NJD look. Only real change is the nameplate now sits on the shoulder yoke and is now just one color, as opposed to outlined like it had been in the past. 

9rQAdKS.png

Alternate - But if you were a fan of what the Devils and Adidas changed to. Don't worry too much. So the rumor on the street is, is that the striping change was done in homage to the stripes on the old Colorado Rockies uniforms. Okay, I'll respect that. But I took it a step farther and honored the KC Scouts who became the Rockies who became the Devils. So the big triple stripes come from the Rockies, and the smaller stripes flanking the big stripe are an homage to the KC Scouts. I also broke the NJ out of the circle for the first time in franchise history. 

Legacy - Kept the ever-popular red and green throwbacks around. In contrast to the Home/Away jerseys, I shortened up the shoulder yoke on the back so that for historical accuracy, the nameplate would sit under the yoke. Otherwise, it's pretty much all the same. 

TY5GfEb.png

Reverse Retro - If you're saddened by me going back to the red throwback, instead of sticking with the white jersey, well I have a halfway compromise. Kept the RR green like in real life, but reversed the white jersey instead of the red one. Even threw in a green helmet for fun!

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Once again great work...

Only nitpick on the Devils black alt - the sleeve stripes...at a small scale on a computer screen...blur into something that Ohio State would wear. I'm sure it'd look different in real life. 

Great job on the Reverse Retros...all of your designs are on par with this year's adidas set (which is a very good thing, as I love the RRs and wish I had more money). I was hoping adidas would make your eggplant Wild Wing...maybe next year. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Once again great work...

Only nitpick on the Devils black alt - the sleeve stripes...at a small scale on a computer screen...blur into something that Ohio State would wear. I'm sure it'd look different in real life. 

Great job on the Reverse Retros...all of your designs are on par with this year's adidas set (which is a very good thing, as I love the RRs and wish I had more money). I was hoping adidas would make your eggplant Wild Wing...maybe next year. 

Nwa6Tdh.png

Ooh. I see it now. I had a couple other options in mind before I went with the one I settled on. You can see the stripes I referenced to create the new stripe, along with the one I used, plus a couple possible options. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

24 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

Nwa6Tdh.png

Ooh. I see it now. I had a couple other options in mind before I went with the one I settled on. You can see the stripes I referenced to create the new stripe, along with the one I used, plus a couple possible options. 

The intent was great, it just looked weird in a three--by-three-inch space. In real life I bet it'd be awesome.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

EKSq5mu.png

Home - Away: Buffalo absolutely did the right thing with their uniform updates. Minor things I would have done differently for those uniforms, but I cannot complain about them as a whole. But for my series, I wanted to stray completely away from an almost straight up throwback. Instead I chose to go with the Winter Classic jerseys as the base, which feels throwbackish but not a straight up throwback, but made use of the updated logos and things of that nature. So to that end, the white jersey is basically the same as the WC jersey with the addition of some yoke trim. The home jersey is the same as the white jersey with the appropriate colors swapped and I did something that the Sabres jerseys of the past hadn't: mixed yellow and white on the blue jerseys. With that, one half of the triple stripe down the sides of the pants. Socks match their jerseys. Buffalo logo that was introduced with the WC jerseys serves as the helmet logos. 

JT4eNwc.png

Alternate - For the first time, a true gold alternate for the Sabres. Unpopular opinion: the 2013-2015 Alternate was only a couple changes from being salvaged. We can debate that somewhere else if you wish. Here though, the gold alternate stays on theme and brand. I find that the Buffalo logo is strong enough to stand as a chest logo, which it does here. This moves the crossed sabre roundel to the shoulders. Like the pants, just one instance of the triple stripe around the arms and the hem and thus the socks. 

Legacy - with the return to the retro colors, a throwback felt like it wasn't really needed. I'd basically have been replicating a very similar uniform. So I instead worked with the history of hockey in Buffalo as a whole. I took a look at the Buffalo Bisons, the AHL team that was basically shuttered to make room for the incoming Sabres. In essence, a Reverse Retro thing occurs, with the 60's era uniforms serving as the base, with the Sabres colors and identity coming in. Big changes are in the stripes, where I keep the Sabres new triple stripes rather than using the Bisons era stripes. It felt right to use the Sabres script that was very much inspired by the old Bisons Pepsi logo.  Pants are blank, socks match the shoulder stripes. 

mVNjLVV.png

Reverse Retro - For those that wanted to see the Goathead back on the front of a jersey, look no further! Went with the 1996-2006 uniforms if that wasn't clear enough. I did my best to fit this onto this template, which was a bit of a struggle, with the "stripe-horns" that come up from the hem. Otherwise, I think it's a fairly honest RR attempt. I also wouldn't have been upset had post-2006, something like this would have happened, with just a return to the blue/gold with the goathead-centric identity. 

C&C always welcomed!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

7LFvigY.png

Home - Away: Be honest. Those of you that do NHL concepts, what do you do when you get to the Canadiens? They've had the same basic look since the 1910's. How do you you mess with that? Well I think I found a way. On the home jersey, things stay pretty much the same in a lot of respects. Same stripes on the arms, chest and the smaller stripes on the hem. On the chest is where I begin to mess with things. The stripe no longer wraps around behind the numbers. I could say it's a legibility thing, but that excuse is more for the white jersey than anything. I unified the weight of the pant stripes to match the jersey stripes. Socks match their jerseys. On the white jersey, I scrapped the current white jersey. I think it's overrated. I don't like it. I did an almost straight over color swap, with a slight striping change. The stripe more closely resembles that of a northwestern stripe, which has some historical significance to the Habs. 

tC6lJ5j.png

Alternate - The Canadiens are a team that doesn't need an alternate, but where is the fun in that for a concept thread? With that in mind, this alternate is more of a "Heritage" jersey. In this case, it's an attempt at reviving the Barberpole jerseys without burning the retinas of fans. To do a Heritage jersey, there's gotta be heritage white added to the mix. Other than that, it stays pretty close to the home and away styling. The stripes on the back do come in further. I used a box on the back for the number, in this case, the same color as the base of the jersey, again like the Barberpoles. Pants now have the Olde English C on the leg and the helmets. 

Legacy - Throwing it back beyond the NHL life of the Canadiens, we enter into the NHA days. These jerseys are modern replicas of jerseys worn in 1911-1912. Sash designs in hockey are rare and fun to see every now and again. Although, even though the Canadiens say these were worn by the team, that isn't for a for sure thing. If you're interested, read more here:  http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2014/01/setting-record-straight-1911-12.html

But for our purposes, let's pretend there's no controversy or debate over whether these jerseys were actually worn by the team. Sash stripe that runs from the shoulder down the corner of the hem, where it meets with the same stripe running around the hem line. Same stripe on the ends of the arms. Olde English C on the chest. Canvas colored pants and gloves to add to the throwback facade. Sock stripes match the jersey stripes. The modern additions are the sleeve numbers, name on the back, and a white helmet with the Olde English C on it as well. 

EU3fgkv.png

The Stars My Destination 

I honestly had no other ideas here. It feels dumb to do this being that it's so close to the concept jerseys. But again, unlike the Blackhawks or the Red Wings even, the Habs have had such minor uniform deviations that there was really no real alternatives. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Been meaning to comment some feedback on this thread for a while, I've loved following it:

LA: I personally like the Kings with black shoulders on their black jersey, but a very solid, clean look for them. Alternate's great. I can't even like the RR ironically, it's that bad. Kudos. 6/10

ANA: See, I almost always prefer teams to keep things traditional with striping, but the Ducks are an exception. I feel like their jerseys should always be a little unusual. So while the H/A look great, it just doesn't feel like the Ducks to me. But WTH do I know, they're sharp and balanced so I'm probably overcriticizing here. Kinda hate the version of the Mighty Duck logo with the oval around it, so just using the one w/out it would make the Alt. jump a few points for me. RR's an upgrade for sure. 6/10

NJ: The perfect New Jersey Devils uniform set. Only reason not a 10 is for lack of creativity on the H/A. But the old look needed no changes, so why should you? Eh, I'm finicky. 9/10

BUF: My favorite so far, truly flawless. Love the H/A shakeup, the Legacy kicks butt as well. I can't express how much I love the Alternate, that just has to be realized. 10/10

MTL: 100% agree, the Habs roads need more blue so a really nice look there. I like the Alt. and Legacy a lot too, smart idea to implement the barber pole and I'm a fan of the sash, real or not. I wonder even if that's not true to the 'original" if the C might look better blue? Just a thought. 8/10

Excellent stuff, keep it coming!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Archived