NHL by Nike: Expansion: San Diego

colinturner95

First of all, good work. Looks very professional, I love the attention to detail and presentation. The eggplant Wild Wing and Buffalo's reverse retro look great, I'd buy those. As a Habs fan, sorry but I hate that concept! You didn't change the Wings and Devils much so I'm not sure why you felt like you need to change the Canadiens so much. I know the red they use is a little darker than usual but this one is way too dark, also the chest stripes definitely need to go around the back. You could have used the 1945 white jersey if you don't like the current one maybe? The white jersey and both retro options just don't feel like Habs jerseys to me. Maybe in red instead of cream?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2020 at 5:48 PM, LordD said:

not ok. Need the next one ;)

Oh, alright fine. 

gFEu8MO.png

Home-Away: From one O6 team to the next, we land in Chicago. And in a realistic sense, no changes were needed really. But that doesn't make concepting fun for me. So I returned the Blackhawks back to their mid-50's style uniforms, with the fuller stripes on the red jerseys and both jerseys have the C-Tomahawk logos on the stripes again. Black tie-down collars on both jerseys. I can't remember my rationale for flipping the colors on the stripes on the away jersey. I'm not totally sure if I even like it looking at it right now, but I'll let some outside voices speak on it before I make a decision. Other than that, the socks match their jerseys, the pants remain unchanged. 

2BZUGNk.png

Alternate - If their arena mates can use the Chicago flag on their uniforms, the Blackhawks should be able to as well. Black base, striping around the chest and arms. Used what I'm calling the "modern roundel", took the roundel from the 40's and 50's and put the modern Chief head in the circle. The weight of the stripes is the same as the flag, but it rounds out looking very similar to the triple stripes of the pants. 

Legacy - Trying to keep all options open for the Reverse Retros, I color flipped the last Winter Classic jersey into the white version, with more era appropriate pants.  Not too much to say about these. 

KI93ZbN.png

Reverse Retro - I put their real life Reverse Retro in the Islanders category: somewhat expected but lazy IMO. but like the Canadiens, I ran into a pretty hefty wall on what to do for them. I ended up with a flip on the inspiration for the 2009 Winter Classic jerseys.  Again, it was difficult trying to find something different enough so we ended up with these. Not necessarily my favorites, but hey, its the way the snow falls. 

C&C welcome!

On 12/13/2020 at 11:09 PM, Bruins said:

Been meaning to comment some feedback on this thread for a while, I've loved following it:

LA: I personally like the Kings with black shoulders on their black jersey, but a very solid, clean look for them. Alternate's great. I can't even like the RR ironically, it's that bad. Kudos. 6/10

ANA: See, I almost always prefer teams to keep things traditional with striping, but the Ducks are an exception. I feel like their jerseys should always be a little unusual. So while the H/A look great, it just doesn't feel like the Ducks to me. But WTH do I know, they're sharp and balanced so I'm probably overcriticizing here. Kinda hate the version of the Mighty Duck logo with the oval around it, so just using the one w/out it would make the Alt. jump a few points for me. RR's an upgrade for sure. 6/10

NJ: The perfect New Jersey Devils uniform set. Only reason not a 10 is for lack of creativity on the H/A. But the old look needed no changes, so why should you? Eh, I'm finicky. 9/10

BUF: My favorite so far, truly flawless. Love the H/A shakeup, the Legacy kicks butt as well. I can't express how much I love the Alternate, that just has to be realized. 10/10

MTL: 100% agree, the Habs roads need more blue so a really nice look there. I like the Alt. and Legacy a lot too, smart idea to implement the barber pole and I'm a fan of the sash, real or not. I wonder even if that's not true to the 'original" if the C might look better blue? Just a thought. 8/10

Excellent stuff, keep it coming!

LA: I wanted something different, and I felt like that era of the purple and gold has been forgotten and that felt like a good way to call back to it. I love that the RR is hated! With Wild Wing coming back, I just had to try it 😂

ANA: It does feel like a departure and not very Ducks in that way, but I think that after the uniforms they've been wearing since 2007, a calming down would be helpful for the brand. 

NJ: I definitely think they changed for the sake of changing and I mean, it's not bad but it's unnecessary.  

BUF: Again, what they did IRL was good and great, I felt that they could have gone away from a direct throwback almost, but I'm not gonna complain. Better uniforms from where they had been. 

MTL: Incoming hot take: the current white jerseys are overrated and ugly. Traditions be damned. 

Glad you're enjoying the series so far!!

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

As a Habs fan, sorry but I hate that concept! You didn't change the Wings and Devils much so I'm not sure why you felt like you need to change the Canadiens so much. I know the red they use is a little darker than usual but this one is way too dark, also the chest stripes definitely need to go around the back. You could have used the 1945 white jersey if you don't like the current one maybe? The white jersey and both retro options just don't feel like Habs jerseys to me. Maybe in red instead of cream?

The Canadiens are a team that has worn the same basic thing for so long that it's almost always a challenge to come up with something new. Do they need new uniforms in real life? I'd like to see them move on from the mismatched white jerseys but in a more realistic sense, no. Montreal would probably get burnt to the ground if they departed from the classic look. But for a concept series, I don't see anything wrong with trying something new. 

The Red Wings had a minor correction that just helps the home and away match a little bit more. The Devils changed for the sake of changing and I felt their old jerseys were stronger than the new ones. That's why those changed. 

I can't explain why the red looks so dark. It's the official team red from TruColor. It could be your monitor, your screen or my monitor and screen. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

9 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

I can't remember my rationale for flipping the colors on the stripes on the away jersey. I'm not totally sure if I even like it looking at it right now, but I'll let some outside voices speak on it before I make a decision

I like it, I've always though the away jersey wasn't red enough. This helps slightly with the color balance. Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that I also like the attention paid to the gloves in your concepts, I've always been a gear nerd first, then a jersey nerd lol. With that being said, all black gloves with red text outlined in white would look even better with the alternate imo

On 12/15/2020 at 8:27 PM, LordD said:

I’m sure this is an unpopular opinion but I’d love to see that alternate include the powder blue from the flag on the jersey. Great job still.

ifAFxfZ.png

Doesn't mean we can't at least try it. Unlike the bulls who made the middle of the stripe black, I kept it red and left the stars white. The white outside stripes now become powder blue on the chest, sleeves and socks. I also changed the stripes on the pants to match. It looked weird otherwise. I also changed the helmet logo to the four stars from the flag. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I think the alternate is clever because you seem to have split the difference between Chicago-flag blue and white, the shade I remember from my dad's Berol art sets as "non-photo blue." The normal light blue would have been offputting, but a very pale blue seems to work, even if it's not true to the flag nor the organization. 

I can't endorse the roundel. I've never liked a roundel the Hawks have used. With all the positive attention the Indian Head has gotten as the Best Logo In Sports, it doesn't make sense to minimize it by making a smaller part of a whole, to say nothing of the whole "Blackhawks Chicago" style that I've never cared for. Can't get on board with the black and white at all; any Blackhawks stuff before the addition of red is just plain unsightly. Concepteers should beware of forcing themselves into systems where every team has at least two alternates. Some teams shouldn't even have one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think the alternate is clever because you seem to have split the difference between Chicago-flag blue and white, the shade I remember from my dad's Berol art sets as "non-photo blue." The normal light blue would have been offputting, but a very pale blue seems to work, even if it's not true to the flag nor the organization. 

1. I can't endorse the roundel. I've never liked a roundel the Hawks have used. With all the positive attention the Indian Head has gotten as the Best Logo In Sports, it doesn't make sense to minimize it by making a smaller part of a whole, to say nothing of the whole "Blackhawks Chicago" style that I've never cared for.

2. Can't get on board with the black and white at all; any Blackhawks stuff before the addition of red is just plain unsightly.

3. Concepteers should beware of forcing themselves into systems where every team has at least two alternates. Some teams shouldn't even have one.

1. kdUhvfD.png

That's fair. The original idea was to have the C-Tomahawks on the front, but it wasn't strong enough to stand on it's own as a chest logo so that's where the roundel came in. So we go back to the Best Logo in Sports on the front, this time.

2. I don't know, I'd take the Blackhawks in black and white over their barberpole attempts.

3. In a real life sense, absolutely. Do the Canadiens need an alternate at all? Nope. But I just wanted to have a little bit of fun with the NHL. 

On 12/15/2020 at 10:00 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

I like it, I've always though the away jersey wasn't red enough. This helps slightly with the color balance. 

There's some historical precedent for it that I wasn't even aware of. 

http://nhluniforms.com/Blackhawks/Blackhawks12.html

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Yeah, it's much better with the primary un-encircled. And yeah, you're right, the crossed tomahawks are a really good secondary, but have never stood up as a primary in any attempt I've seen. Which is fine -- hockey is, after all, a game of playing one's role accordingly. 

The barberpoles are fine as a one-off for anniversaries or outdoor games but such appearances should be few and far between. The problem those and the black-and-whites share is that they have a very rudimentary version of the Indian Head, which I find unpleasant to look at. One thing John McDonough was smart about was putting his foot down on alternates for many years: one team, one logo is a good policy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Since I'm here and have some down time, I have the next team ready as well: 

mhd8uPC.png

Home - Away: The original idea was to bring back the Kachina full time, but in the current team colors. But the Reverse Retro program came out and flipped that idea, and you'll see how shortly. So instead, the hanger effect pattern elevates from the collar to the sleeves, in a style pretty similar to what they have now with some changes. The upper black sleeve stays, but now the "spiritual successor" to the Kachina stripe is just under it. The logo package stays pretty much the same, with the Howlin' Coyote on the chest, and the A-Paw print and the State logo sharing the shoulders. Socks are a pattern-less version of what's on their sleeves. Pants simply have the AZ logo on the front. 

C9tHeca.png

Alternates - Alright so, owning to my own indecisiveness, we end up with two alternates that look incredibly similar. Allow me to explain: The first idea was the sand colored alternate. Owning to the history of turquoise in the state, I introduced it as a trim color above a sublimated state flag pattern on the sleeves. The AZ logo and the Coyote flip places, and the AZ logo gains a turquoise outline as does the number. Now where does the black version come in? So when I got started to work on the Legacy jersey, I immediately color flipped the sand to black, just to get started. My wife (Arizona native) happened to see it and thought it was a good look alongside the sand version. So both versions of the same jersey became an option. While the Winnipeg White-Out has moved back north of the Border, maybe Arizona could start a new tradition with the black jerseys and a blackout in the playoffs? 

tpFAyvT.png

Legacy: The ever popular Kachina jerseys stick around as the Legacy uniforms, in their completely throwbacked goodness

Reverse Retro: In a similar vein the Peyote Coyote jerseys stay as the Reverse Retros, this time with the desert scene continuing on to the jersey sleeves.

C&C welcome! 

16 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, it's much better with the primary un-encircled. And yeah, you're right, the crossed tomahawks are a really good secondary, but have never stood up as a primary in any attempt I've seen. Which is fine -- hockey is, after all, a game of playing one's role accordingly. 

The barberpoles are fine as a one-off for anniversaries or outdoor games but such appearances should be few and far between. The problem those and the black-and-whites share is that they have a very rudimentary version of the Indian Head, which I find unpleasant to look at. One thing John McDonough was smart about was putting his foot down on alternates for many years: one team, one logo is a good policy.

Agreed on the anniversaries/outdoor games. In this concept world, I'd like to imagine that even with teams having 5 uniforms or in the Coyotes' case 6, that the NHL would have some form of rules on how many times they can be worn in a season, in contrast to the NBA. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

18 hours ago, LordD said:

Good look for Arizona. Undecided on if I like sand or black better, but thinking sand just due to the fact that it would give Arizona something different ala the reverse retro. 

can’t wait for minny

You couldn't have had better timing: 

F0Dn9Rr.png

Home - Away: Adidas brought Minnesota that much closer to matching uniforms. I nudged it just a little bit further. I personally like the new green jersey and thought it was strong enough to be the base for the road jersey as well. So lets dive in. Like I said, fan of the home jersey, just time to make the roads match. Rather than just go with a white away jersey, I went with the cream color the Wild use. Only real change on the home is the M patch on the shoulder is now a roundel, that replaces the bear head with the M logo. Cream helmet to go with the cream jersey, socks match their jerseys. Pants are stripeless, bear head on the front. 

Vyw9VZa.png

State of Hockey - I wanted to try something different for the alternates for Minnesota. since they are the highest level of hockey in the state, I thought that it would be fitting that they pay tribute to where so many NHLers and hockey players in general got their start. The State of Hockey uniforms pay tribute to past State Champions, players of note and important figures in the world of Minnesota high school hockey. The first iteration (might make a mini series out of this, stay tuned for that later) starts with Eveleth, winners of 5 out of the first 7 State Tournaments. These particular uniforms are based off of the 1951 State Championship team. On the inside of the collars is the high school that is being honored along with a number of stars corresponding to their State Championships won. 

Legacy - Along with uniforms that I felt didn't get a fair shake, the Legacy train for Minnesota stops in between the years 2003-2007 which leads us to the pre-Edge bastardization of the then alternate uniforms. Again, these uniforms I felt deserved more time and also deserved to not have the hem senselessly removed for "design's" sake. 

0TuFu6F.png

Reverse Retro - the Wild's RR is one of my favorites, but in the spirit of creativity, I'm trying my best to not copy the real ones moving forward for all the teams. The North Stars colors stick around, but this time I worked with the inaugural green jerseys from the Wild. Recolored Bear head sticks around, along with the recolored shoulder logo from that era. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

15 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

You couldn't have had better timing: 

F0Dn9Rr.png

Home - Away: Adidas brought Minnesota that much closer to matching uniforms. I nudged it just a little bit further. I personally like the new green jersey and thought it was strong enough to be the base for the road jersey as well. So lets dive in. Like I said, fan of the home jersey, just time to make the roads match. Rather than just go with a white away jersey, I went with the cream color the Wild use. Only real change on the home is the M patch on the shoulder is now a roundel, that replaces the bear head with the M logo. Cream helmet to go with the cream jersey, socks match their jerseys. Pants are stripeless, bear head on the front. 

Vyw9VZa.png

State of Hockey - I wanted to try something different for the alternates for Minnesota. since they are the highest level of hockey in the state, I thought that it would be fitting that they pay tribute to where so many NHLers and hockey players in general got their start. The State of Hockey uniforms pay tribute to past State Champions, players of note and important figures in the world of Minnesota high school hockey. The first iteration (might make a mini series out of this, stay tuned for that later) starts with Eveleth, winners of 5 out of the first 7 State Tournaments. These particular uniforms are based off of the 1951 State Championship team. On the inside of the collars is the high school that is being honored along with a number of stars corresponding to their State Championships won. 

Legacy - Along with uniforms that I felt didn't get a fair shake, the Legacy train for Minnesota stops in between the years 2003-2007 which leads us to the pre-Edge bastardization of the then alternate uniforms. Again, these uniforms I felt deserved more time and also deserved to not have the hem senselessly removed for "design's" sake. 

0TuFu6F.png

Reverse Retro - the Wild's RR is one of my favorites, but in the spirit of creativity, I'm trying my best to not copy the real ones moving forward for all the teams. The North Stars colors stick around, but this time I worked with the inaugural green jerseys from the Wild. Recolored Bear head sticks around, along with the recolored shoulder logo from that era. 

C&C welcome!

Love it! 

N3d5IIl.png

I really like this set! The alternate idea of honoring different high school teams across the state is amazing! That would be a great series to follow up with as well! Although the state would probably riot over an Edina-based jersey...

The cream road jersey also doesn't work the best. I believe that the Wild added the chest stripe on the home to have the mostly green logo stand out on the green jersey, so having a green chest stripe seems to defeat the purpose. The cream base also seems like it's just a little too dark. I understand that it's the Wild's color, but it doesn't work the best. The road jersey is really what brings down an otherwise fantastic set.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

While I mull over options on the Wild's away jersey, I'll leave you with the Canucks before the holiday break. 

eoAu5bS.png

Home - Away: Before we begin, the Orca has been let out and is swimming free. These are a holdover from my last NHL series but I thought they had some merit to them as a unique design. It's reminiscent of the old V jerseys sleeves with some minor edits here and there. The new, is it really new?, Stick in Rink logo finds itself as the logo on the front. Double stripe on the hem. Single color NOB and numbers on the back. The double stripe makes its way to the pants and to the socks. S-I-R on the front of the pants. 

KFGUChT.png

Alternate - Finally. A green (full green) jersey for the 'Nucks. Also a first for Johnny C, as he is now on the front chest of the jersey. This moves the S-I-R to the shoulders. Stripes are similar to the home and road jerseys, they just continue as full stripes. Socks are similar to their jersey, pants are the same from the home and road. 

Legacy - Went with the 85-89 uniforms, in this case the yellow versions. 

C6WFHgB.png

Reverse Retro - I know that I cannot be the only one that was thinking the Canucks would do the unthinkable and bring the V's back. Well I did the unthinkable and brought the V's back, this time in blue and green. Are they gaudy as hell in different colors? Yes. Do I still love it? Yes! 

On 12/23/2020 at 10:35 AM, chcarlson23 said:

The cream road jersey also doesn't work the best. I believe that the Wild added the chest stripe on the home to have the mostly green logo stand out on the green jersey, so having a green chest stripe seems to defeat the purpose. The cream base also seems like it's just a little too dark. I understand that it's the Wild's color, but it doesn't work the best. The road jersey is really what brings down an otherwise fantastic set.

You know what? I see it now and I think i'll revisit those before the next team. I think i'll be keeping the jersey cream, but I might tweak it to be a touch lighter. 

C&C welcome! Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and depending on how things go, a Happy New Year!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 12/23/2020 at 10:35 AM, chcarlson23 said:

MTCJVu4.png

So in the name of consistency, the chest stripe on the green now fully matches the arm stripes and the chest stripe on the cream away jersey now moves down to the hem and matches its sleeves. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived