NHL by Nike: Expansion: San Diego

colinturner95

Wow - this is such a fun and well executed series.  You have nailed so many of these jerseys.  My favorites so far are the Ducks in orange, the kachina striping in sand color on the H/A set for Arizona, the updated Senators logo, and full sets on Buffalo and Chicago!

I like the San Jose set a lot, but I keep getting drawn to the whole shark logo.  What does that look like on the H/A set? 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

d6qjsW2.png

Home-Away: After the success of the Winter Classic jerseys, and by extension a more classic style of jersey work for the Preds, I felt that taking things in that direction for the home and away jerseys would be a good idea. 6 navy stripes to match the existing font, you know, 6 strings, guitar, music, Nashville? catch my drift? On the hem, same weight as the sleeve stripes, just a lot less stripes. Predator head still on the front, guitar pick on the shoulders. Keeping the yellow helmet around. Pants just have two gold stripes down the sides. 

37yKZbs.png

Alternate - Remember the aforementioned Winter Classic jersey? I wonder if what I've done here counts as a Reverse Retro... But I recolored the WC jersey to have a navy base, along with a few other changes. The Winter Classic patches are gone, meaning the fauxback predator head now is on both shoulders. I also went with just the Predators half of the script on the chest, and moved the Nashville half to the helmet. Pants have nothing but the fauxback panther, socks match the chest stripe. Also the stripes on the hem change to match the ends of the sleeves. 

Legacy - Went right back to the beginning for Nashville, to the 1998-2007 uniforms, in as close to their original glory as I could possibly get. 

1GTlE9d.png

Reverse Retro - Well since the Legacy uniform exists, I was left with a question mark on what to do here. Then it hit me. MUSTARD TIGER.  Took one of the most under the radar ugliest alternate jerseys of all time and flipped it into Nashville's current colors, save for the logos. 

C&C welcome!

On 12/30/2020 at 9:50 AM, SEANL said:

Wow - this is such a fun and well executed series.  You have nailed so many of these jerseys.  My favorites so far are the Ducks in orange, the kachina striping in sand color on the H/A set for Arizona, the updated Senators logo, and full sets on Buffalo and Chicago!

I like the San Jose set a lot, but I keep getting drawn to the whole shark logo.  What does that look like on the H/A set? 

Honestly not sure. I never really gave much thought to the whole shark on the chest. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: Nashville Predators

That’s a fantastic set! That nailed the Preds look! The old mustard jersey for the Reverse Retro is great. That definitely was one of the most underrated jerseys. If they had used the normal gold as the base instead of the gold over navy mesh, then it would have been the Gold Smashville vibe they have now, just in the early 2000s. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

ugltOzG.png

Home - Away: Florida's uniforms are still newish for me and I'm still sort of in that space where I think that their uniforms are still in a feeling out process. But one big issue I have with them is that the uniforms feel red, gold and white, and navy is just there as somewhat as an afterthought and makes some of the elements feel disjointed from each other. With that, I sought to bring a little more continuity from a color perspective. The uniform construction stays mostly the same, with the chest stripe and sleeve stripes staying mostly in place. There's now a navy stripe in between the gold and white stripes. Panthers shield on the chest of the home, Florida shield on the road. Went with the leaping panther as the shoulder logo rather than the state flag logos. Socks match their jerseys. Pants are navy with the leaping panther on the front. 

0DNmaJ7.png

Alternate - In what is probably the closest thing to an NBA style City jersey in this series, I went with a different approach on these alts. I celebrated the idea of the Sunshine State. Navy is minimized to just the state flag logos on the shoulders. Brought the old FLA sun logo out of the grave on a white jersey. Red and yellow stripes on the sleeves, sublimated Florida flag design on the front and back of the jersey. Socks and pants have the same style stripes. 

Legacy - Went with the 03-06 home jerseys. I always struggle with what to say here, because I'm just recreating old uniforms for y'alls viewing pleasure. 

I3Ncv9m.png

Reverse Retro - Florida's RR underwhelmed me. Not that it's bad or anything, it just doesn't feel very different from the actual retros. So to that end, staying with the same era as the the Legacy jersey, we see the alternate red jersey turn yellow, with red and yellow flipping places. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I'd say that Panthers' alt needs some blue (either navy or light blue) somewhere...kinda has a KC Chiefs crossover vibe. Your update to the regular home and roads is excellent and what they really should have gone with.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:02 AM, WSU151 said:

I'd say that Panthers' alt needs some blue (either navy or light blue) somewhere...kinda has a KC Chiefs crossover vibe. Your update to the regular home and roads is excellent and what they really should have gone with.

As soon as I posted it, I could see it

UhvO1Bf.png

Went back to my original idea for the alternate, that just utilized red and white for the striping like the flag itself and left the yellow for trim and logos. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

ax9ssIs.png

Home - Away: In a real world sense, the Flames did the right thing by going back to the throwback look full time, but there was a different avenue that I wanted to go down for these. I went back to the pre-Edge uniform sock striping for the stripes on these. It also kept black in the scheme, rather than holding onto one of the worst designs to come out of the Edge system. I also retired the old chunky font and went with the old red alternate font. The logos and the numbers share the same outline scheme. Also brought the logo from the aforementioned red alternate jersey back onto the shoulders (goodbye flags). 

8GbV9fs.png

Alternate - The alternate sees a slimming down of the stripes into an asymmetrical triple stripe pattern. The logos from the home and away jerseys swap places, with the roundel taking center stage, and the Flaming C moving to the shoulders. This uniform uses the same equipment as the home/away uniforms. 

Legacy - It might not be the home uniform here, but it still gets its time to shine. the 80's era red uniform sticks around as the Legacy uniform for the Flames. 

Cd9qblc.png

Reverse Retro - No disrespect to Blasty and his Reverse Retro, but I was more meh about it than I was excited by it. So I instead flipped the 1995-98 uniforms to a black base. These to me fly under the radar as some of the more unique uniforms in NHL history but for some reason, you don't seem to hear about them all that much, so I wanted to give them a new lease on being seen. 

C&C always appreciated!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Just started school again and I'm gonna just keep posting along with these. 

iH7MdPt.png

Home - Away: In a realistic sense, the Rangers don't need to change much of anything at all. In a concept sense, there's not much fun in that. I did make a move for more unity between the two uniforms. Got rid of the colored ends to the sleeves on the white jersey and added the shoulder stripes to the home blues. Beyond that, much of everything else stays the same. 

87zr72q.png

Alternate - Much like the Canadiens and to a degree the Red Wings and Blackhawks, the Rangers' uniform history is largely the same. With that in mind, I brought the 2018 Winter Classic Jerseys across the manufacturer divide to the Nike template in their total glory. I was a big fan when they came out with them, thus still a big fan now. 

Legacy - Owning to the same problems with the alternate, the Legacy jersey was going to prove to be an issue. I then looked at the first Winter Classic jersey and wanted to work around with that in some way. What the end result was, was a fauxback really, same shell as the 2012 WC uniform, using the same pants and gloves from the Alternate. The "crest" is a script wordmark with the shield and player number underneath it. 

aWJWQHN.png

Reverse Retro - Come on Rangers, if you're gonna reverse a retro uniform, at least make an attempt at flipping colors around. A lot of firsts here. This would would be the first red jersey in Rangers' history, built around the ever popular Lady Liberty uniforms, which sees the red and navy flip places throughout. Also making a first time appearance, are navy/blue pants for the rangers in any capacity.

C&C welcome for Calgary and New York!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

UyxwzpF.png

Home-Away: Right off the bat, I don't like the Jets logo. The more and more I look at it, the less and less I like it. I didn't get rid of it, but moved it to secondary status. While it's simple, I think that the new wordmark is more befitting to be on the chest. And so there it is. I also wanted to make the light blue feel like it's a part of the identity. Collar to shoulder stripes like the Jets 1.0, with four military bars ( I apologize if I misnamed those) on the sleeves interrupting the stripes. Wordmark on the chest. I de-italicized the number font as well. Socks match the stripes down the sleeves, stripes bleed off the hem. Military bars on the sides of the pants. Fighter jet logo on the leg of the pants. 

3wG35sH.png

Alternate - Paying homage to the Winnipeg White Out from the Jets 1.0 days, with a jersey that well, has a lot of white elements. Same basic design as the home and away, just pared down to navy and white. White pants were on the table, but quickly taken off of it. 

Legacy - Brought back the 2019 Heritage Classic, which themselves are based off the WHA Jets uniforms, but with the appropriate shade of blue, even though, I personally prefer the navy in this case, but was in the interest of historical accuracy. 

plCIr1q.png

Reverse Retro - While it's not the most radical of the Thrasher's uniforms I could have borrowed from, it certainly was fun to create. The 2003-2006 Thrashers baby blue uniforms serve as the inspiration for the Jets' Reverse Retro, even though it still has the same/similar base color. Stripe down the one arm, this time spelling out Winnipeg. Stripe on the hem now has little jets instead of the Atlanta arrows. Navy stays navy, light blue stays light blue, but yellow gives way to the Jets' red. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: Winnipeg Jets
On 1/9/2021 at 2:44 PM, colinturner95 said:

ax9ssIs.png

Home - Away: In a real world sense, the Flames did the right thing by going back to the throwback look full time, but there was a different avenue that I wanted to go down for these. I went back to the pre-Edge uniform sock striping for the stripes on these. It also kept black in the scheme, rather than holding onto one of the worst designs to come out of the Edge system. I also retired the old chunky font and went with the old red alternate font. The logos and the numbers share the same outline scheme. Also brought the logo from the aforementioned red alternate jersey back onto the shoulders (goodbye flags). 

8GbV9fs.png

Alternate - The alternate sees a slimming down of the stripes into an asymmetrical triple stripe pattern. The logos from the home and away jerseys swap places, with the roundel taking center stage, and the Flaming C moving to the shoulders. This uniform uses the same equipment as the home/away uniforms. 

Legacy - It might not be the home uniform here, but it still gets its time to shine. the 80's era red uniform sticks around as the Legacy uniform for the Flames. 

Cd9qblc.png

Reverse Retro - No disrespect to Blasty and his Reverse Retro, but I was more meh about it than I was excited by it. So I instead flipped the 1995-98 uniforms to a black base. These to me fly under the radar as some of the more unique uniforms in NHL history but for some reason, you don't seem to hear about them all that much, so I wanted to give them a new lease on being seen. 

C&C always appreciated!

For the home uniform, I think the outline scheming sequence for the "C" and numbers should be yellow-black-white and not black-yellow-white. Flip black and yellow basically. It makes the text stand out more and it just looks better.

I'm also bothered by the red and yellow being separated by a black line in the middle for the jersey. It's inconsistent with the pants. I know that pattern was done on the red Pedestals, but it just didn't look awesome at all.

And the C on the crest, in my opinion, should look like this:

2603_calgary_flames-primary_dark-1995.pn

Other than that, great work. 

2 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

For the home uniform, I think the outline scheming sequence for the "C" and numbers should be yellow-black-white and not black-yellow-white. Flip black and yellow basically. It makes the text stand out more and it just looks better.

I'm also bothered by the red and yellow being separated by a black line in the middle for the jersey. It's inconsistent with the pants. I know that pattern was done on the red Pedestals, but it just didn't look awesome at all.

And the C on the crest, in my opinion, should look like this:

Other than that, great work. 

nLcE0ga.png

Changed the color pattern on the logo and the numbers. Definitely does work better for the numbers. Not sure about the logo. 

3c3Qbnd.png

Creative liberties aren't the worst thing in the world. Changed up the outlining on the logo and added a smaller black line on the pants to match the color blocking on the jersey. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

And since I'm here, I might as well delight you guys with a new team 

xGG07z6.png

Home - Away: While there's nothing wrong with their current home and away uniforms, I wanted something new and I personally believe that when they move into their new arena, they should explore a new uniform direction. So remember those Islanders teams of the '80s that won four Stanley Cups? Four Stripes? Seems logical enough. Slightly tweaked number font. Newish NY logo on the pants, along with the four stripes. as a little short stripe on the side. 

87VZc29.png

Alternate - Thought it was about time for a true orange alternate for the Isles. Nothing crazy major different. Two big stripes on the sleeves and the hem. This time, the newish NY on the chest. Blue shoulder yokes with a white smaller stripe, in a similar way to the stripes. Orange helmet too, first time for that as well. 

Legacy - If you're a huge fan of the Dynasty era uniforms, don't fret, because they stick around as the Legacy alternate uniforms. 

GG4KMLy.png

Reverse Retro - Can words justify what I have done here? 

C&C welcome!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

23 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

nLcE0ga.png

Changed the color pattern on the logo and the numbers. Definitely does work better for the numbers. Not sure about the logo. 

3c3Qbnd.png

Creative liberties aren't the worst thing in the world. Changed up the outlining on the logo and added a smaller black line on the pants to match the color blocking on the jersey. 

Urban Dictionary: Nailed it

Thank you very much, Colin! This set is as good as it gets.

vLJnKlh.png

Home - Away: Not that I think they have bad uniforms, but like the Islanders, I wanted to go in a different direction. Unlike the Islanders, where I knew the direction in which I was taking things, I think I just tried a bunch of stripes and landed on some that I think worked for Columbus. It does seem weird to not see them with shoulder length stripes, but again, something new. But outside of the stripes and things, the identity stays intact, with the Flag Star logo on the front, Cannon patch on the shoulders and the newer number and name font. Socks match the jerseys. Pants stay red with a triple stripe down the side. 

PB92M25.png

Alternate - While not deviating too far from the existing alternate, I did strip things down and make some changes. First off, no more grey, which I felt cluttered things up a little big from a color standpoint. This meant the stripes change to a more traditional hockey style stripe. I added to the sleeves an additional stripe with a star on the base of the sleeves. This serves two purposes: a callback to the previous uniforms that had a star or stars on the ends of the sleeves and to the Union Army's uniforms, many of which had a single stripe of some variety close to the ends of the sleeves. The pants now also fit more with the uniform with a slightly different triple stripe. 

Legacy - If you think that I brought back the 2000-2003 white jersey, just to get Stinger back on the uniforms in some way, you bet your ass I did. 

y2Xd8bk.png

Reverse Retro - Rather than color flip a uniform of their own, I instead worked with a team that they had no historical connection to, the Cleveland Barons. This mean re-working the logo to say Columbus Blue Jackets and changing the black elements to navy. 

C&C Welcome!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

5VrJeKS.png

Home - Away: Realistically, the Leafs don't need a change. I like the direction their uniforms went in starting 2016, but I wanted to try something else out. I basically ended up with the '67 era uniforms with a new branding package attached to it, along with some small colored sleeve trim. Pants stay the same as they've pretty much been since the Leafs have existed as a hockey team. Biggest difference between these and the 67 uniforms are that the socks match the jerseys rather than a multitude of stripes. 

IOwVVI6.png

Alternate - Remember the Digital 6? So take that, which already had some influence from Team Canada, add a little more influence from Team Canada and some Maple Leafs distinction and this is what you get. Other than that there isn't much else to say about these. Other than the socks, which are singularly striped, the equipment used is the same as the home and away jerseys. 

Legacy - In what I consider to be an underrated era of uniforms for the Leafs, I went with the blue uniforms worn in some variance from 1970-1992. Their appearance here means that there is indeed something different planned for the Reverse Retros. 

eWiXPk7.png

Reverse Retro - I'm finding it more and more difficult to Reverse Retro the Original 6. But with no documented proof of a white Arenas jersey, it seemed to make a lot more sense than the Frankenjersey the Leafs actually came up with. In this case, a more accurate description would be a reverse of the 2017 Next Century game which use the areTnas look with the modern font. 

C&C welcome! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: Toronto Maple Leafs

Gonna keep things rolling along here: 

IFh4z4e.png

Home - Away: Just make the damn things match at this point. I brought back the full color hurricane flag to the stripes, along with an adapted northwestern stripe to fit the stripe, similar to the now previous white jersey. Even though I personally don't mind it, the CANES wordmark is now replaced with the logo. Socks match the jerseys. Pants are blank red with with the Hurricanes logo on the front. 

iH4tOUo.png

Alternate - While it is just a color flip in essence of the home and away jerseys, it's a more stealthy approach to said uniforms, with black becoming the base color, white gives way to two shades of grey. The primary logo is replaced with the newer alternate logo, which I added the triangle from its predecessor to. Flag logo and primary logos make their way to the shoulders. But at the base of it all, again, a color flip of the primary uniforms. 

Legacy - 

UIbLhKO.png

Reverse Retro - I can look past the Hurricanes wearing the Whalers uniforms as throwbacks, given that it is part of their history. I personally took some level of offense to them using it as their Reverse Retro. That didn't feel right to me. So I instead RR'ed the Cup Championship era uniforms, keeping grey as the base for the jersey and socks, along with using a grey helmet. Black pants and gloves. 

C&C welcome as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived