NHL by Nike: Expansion: San Diego

colinturner95

10 minutes ago, LordD said:

No Robo pen???? i'm not upset, just disappointed ;)

2 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

RoboPen is on the home, away and alternate helmets

It was definitely a thought. I did have Robo P on the alternate originally, though I'm now struggling to remember why I changed it. 

And since I'm here now, the other half of the Keystone State rivalry has been ready for a while now: 

Irj2kGm.png

Home - Away: Not much to see here, The Flyers have a pretty unique thing going that works for them, and I saw no reason to mess that up. As much as I don't like the Flyers as a team, they've got some nice uniforms, nameplates too (unpopular opinion, but I love them.) Only change is the wide stripe on the pants that I felt tied the uniforms together a little more. 

vrP11pn.png

Alternate - The Stadium Series alt kinda works for me, but I was trying to take it in a slightly different direction. I was trying to work with the Quakers identity and mix a little flyers into it. Which resulted in a black version of what the Quakers wore, with an obvious twist to the Flyers. Script Flyers on the chest, winged P logo on the shoulders. 

Legacy - At first glance, you might be thinking, "okay it's not that different. no hem stripe, tweaked shoulder stripes, no contrasting nameplate". But then you get down to the pants and socks and notice the changed stripes on the pants, and then the awkward stripes on the socks. Welllllll, I can't remember what MN High School team I thought I saw using this same idea (maybe @Section30 or @chcarlson23 can help me out here or tell me if I'm crazy) but I thought the only appropriate throwback for the Flyers had to somehow acknowledge the Cooperalls days. 

uz0drR7.png

Reverse Retro - The Flyers RR does nothing for me. It just is meh, not like Red Wings RR meh, but it just, idk, isn't it. Plus I've always wanted to see a black version of the home and away jerseys, so I saw that play out here. But like the Pens RR, which had a twist, the first real recolor of the Flyers logo takes hold. The logo is also reversed with the dot becoming black and the body becoming orange. Also for retro purposes, I made use of the skinnier stripes on the sleeves, but added the hem back. 

C&C welcome!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: Philadelphia Flyers
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/5/2021 at 1:44 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Good stuff, I really like the alternate jersey, but the contrasting nameplates need to go on all 3 jerseys

Cbs Fbi GIF by Wolf Entertainment - Find & Share on GIPHY

8 hours ago, Section30 said:

The last few teams have been really good as usual, I really like the Quakers alt for Philly. As for that Cooperall style, I think you might be thinking of Burnsville from a few years ago... that was quite a look

Skaters denied spot in the state field | Savage Sports | swnewsmedia.com

I knew it was a black and yellow team. I just couldn't figure out which one. Thank you for the help 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

GBhNkSW.png

Home - Away: Winning a Stanley Cup in the current uniforms can't save them. It's beyond time for new uniforms for the Caps. First and foremost, its about time to give the Weagle a f'kn day, as it takes the chest finally as a logo. The stripe pattern is inspired by the stripes on the flag of DC with two additional stripes flanking it. The stripes on the sleeves are interrupted by 3 stars, also from the flag of DC. Also the rounded font has been retired and it's back to a block font. The Winter Classic W logo with the stars becomes the new alternate logo, as opposed to the Helvetica Black W on the new alternate. The now previous primary logo isn't completely abandoned, but it's now relegated to the helmet sticker. Socks match their jerseys. Pants have the 3 stars down the sides. 

zEms6WG.png

Alternate - It's not a radical departure from the home uniform, but it does have a difference here and there. The Winter Classic logos come back in full force on this one, with the W star logo on the chest and the Seal of the DC hockey team logo going on the shoulders. The stripes change to a triple stripe on the jerseys and the socks, but still have the stars on the sleeves interrupting the stripes. 

Legacy - Spoiler Alert: I didn't change up the Reverse Retro jersey for the Capitals. With that in mind, I also didn't have any intention of bringing back the inaugural uniforms. They're not good IMO and we've seen enough of them. but the steel blue jerseys never got their due as I thought that they should have, so they came back instead as the Legacy throwback. 

yLDQtao.png

Reverse Retro - Easily a Top 5 RR uniform. One of the few of them I think could be used as the base for a new uniform set. I saw no reason to mess with that. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

nzFXXJj.png

Home - Away: If Tampa Bay wants to go down the minimalist road, fine by me, but why not try something out that makes you look less like the Toronto Maple Wings? Black is now gone from the home and away jerseys, which are really stripped down to just blue and white. The blue is closer to the original shade than the darker blue. The logo also dumps the awkward Incredibles looking shape for a more uniform circle. Rather than single color stripes on the sleeves, its now shoulder length stripes that end in a lightning bolt. The bolt sticks around on the pants, and the socks keep the single stripe. 

zNC9CdF.png

Alternate - I've made my thoughts on the current Lightning alternate pretty clear on these boards before. It's bad in execution. But I think there was something there to be fixed. So the new alternate is set on a double grey color scheme. The dot gradient pattern actually sticks around, but this time fades from dark grey at the top of the sleeves down the arms where it becomes blue. The bolts from the home and away jersey are now a reflective silver throughout their uses. The Bolts wordmark returns on the chest of this jersey, this time blue with a silver outline, which the numbers and NOB follow suit. The hem line changes to be closer to the sleeves, with a silver bolt and dark grey fill. Socks are similar to both the sleeve and hem, silver bolt with the gradient. 

Legacy - Not much of a decision to be made here. First Stanley Cup winning jerseys return here, victory stripes and all. 

9Yc0Snx.png

Reverse Retro - It feels like a cop out to have two similar uniforms and not change up the Reverse Retro at all, but after even trying with the old Thunder Storm alternate, I fully understand why this is what was chosen. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Yeah that Lightning primary logo is really good. The last few weeks I've thought in my head that the unbalanced oval would look better as silver while the bolt was white or blue, so your concept essentially proves it out. 

I still think black could be used minimally in your home and away...somehow...but not sure how I'd do it. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

ENo1xgs.png

Home - Away: Nike's involved and you didn't think at least one team was going to have a total completely and utterly Earth-shattering change? To me the Avalanche's look is tired. It's not bad, but over time, the look has been chipped away at and reduced how good it once looked. And recent tweaks, to me, just don't seem to be helping it any. Combined with this recent move towards minimalism, it was time for a top to bottom new look. The debate between black and navy blue? Settled. Get rid of both. A chest stripe with angled points to mimic mountains, with the alternate logo taking place on the chest, akin to the highest mountain point. Sleeve stripes also come to a point. Socks have a flattened version of the stripes to match their jerseys. Pants have the A logo from the Stadium series jerseys as do the helmets. 

sHMvpnn.png

Alternate: Hey remember the Stadium Series jersey that looked like the players had a napkin tucked in their collar? I felt like I was in the minority that actually liked the jersey and felt that with a tweak or two, it would be much more passable. The biggest changes are that A: the mountain on the front now actually comes to a point separate of the collar, and B: the stripe no longer is around the chest, but rather a much more extended hem stripe and features the addition of silver as a trim color. Those changes are reflected in the socks as well, with equipment being recycled from the Home and Away uniforms. 

Legacy: My feelings about the Avs' Reverse Retro are very similar to my thoughts on the Hurricanes Reverse Retro. Unlike the Canes, the Avs RR looks much better than just a shoehorned addition of grey. But even with my opinions on that, it still doesn't feel right to me to RR those jerseys. So I instead just straight threw it back to the Nordiques last home jerseys. 

lv2sdkS.png

Reverse Retro - there's not much of a history to reverse back on, so the last option was the only option really, but to go back to the pre-Edge bastardization of the OG away jerseys, this time on a steel blue base with the return of black equipment. 

C&C welcomed!

On 3/16/2021 at 12:52 PM, WSU151 said:

Yeah that Lightning primary logo is really good. The last few weeks I've thought in my head that the unbalanced oval would look better as silver while the bolt was white or blue, so your concept essentially proves it out. 

I still think black could be used minimally in your home and away...somehow...but not sure how I'd do it. 

I wanted to try in the early going to have black used on the home and away, and no matter what I tried, it just felt out of place. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

23 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Incredible. Good stuff once again. My only gripe is the color balance on the away jersey, which is almost always a problem, even with concepts. Maybe an additional burgundy stripe? Burgundy sleeve cuffs? Shoulder yoke?

I'm hesitant to do a shoulder yoke because I think that would shift the balance too far. I might take a stab with some burgundy cuffs. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I don't think that a chest stripe is the best look for the Avs. Maybe you could take it a step further and try making the jersey half-and-half, like the Kings' Stadium Series jerseys? The color balance feels off as-is, and I don't know if cuffs or yokes would help.

This is also a personal gripe, but I'm not a fan of the blue gear. Black or burgundy would work better, especially in this set.

Don't get me wrong, the designs themselves are great, and I really like how you reworked the Avs' Stadium Series jerseys into the alternate, but I think some slight color/design tweaks would bring them from an 8/10 to a 10/10.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:00 PM, DTConcepts said:

I don't think that a chest stripe is the best look for the Avs. Maybe you could take it a step further and try making the jersey half-and-half, like the Kings' Stadium Series jerseys? The color balance feels off as-is, and I don't know if cuffs or yokes would help.

This is also a personal gripe, but I'm not a fan of the blue gear. Black or burgundy would work better, especially in this set.

Don't get me wrong, the designs themselves are great, and I really like how you reworked the Avs' Stadium Series jerseys into the alternate, but I think some slight color/design tweaks would bring them from an 8/10 to a 10/10.

dPh1zuJ.png

Can't tell if this is going in the right direction or not, but here's some progress. Color doesn't wrap around the back to keep the numbers and name legible and stuff. The pants change to burgundy to break up the blue at the end of the jerseys. The away gloves change to burgundy, but I left the remaining equipment blue. Idk. Making it burgundy felt like too much. 

I can't tell if this is a good move or not, but let me know what y'all think. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I think it's as good as you're gonna get with the Avs. The team doesn't do a good job of choosing either burgundy or blue as its solid primary color, so it's kinda hard to make concepts that maintain that really weird balance the team has. I think the latest concept does about as good of a job as it can.

y5ECs6J.png

Home - Away: Unlike the Avalanche, the Blues are not in need and therefore are not getting a top to bottom make over. The biggest, and really, only changes are the elimination of the gap in the stripes on the sleeves. They don't do anything for me and for the jerseys in all honesty. Also made the socks match the jerseys, because that was an inexplicable decision IMO. 

XFkWL65.png

Alternate - Back to a navy jersey for the Blues as an alternate. This one leans into the history of the team a little bit more, using the lighter blue from the early days of the team, the alternate logo from the red days as the chest logo, as well as stripes inspired by the throwbacks. Minimal white used throughout, except for the NOB and numbers. Yellow just felt too overpowering here. 

Legacy - With St. Louis set to face off in the next Winter Classic, something I will take on at the end of the team list, I wanted to leave all options open for uniforms there, so their previous Winter Classic jersey gets recycled to the Legacy slot. 

HYBtgxh.png

Reverse Retro - The red is certainly unique, but for the BLUES (named for the music not color, I know), I just don't feel like it clicked. So instead I went with navy instead of red and used the current colors to reverse the 95-98 uniforms. 

C&C welcome!

On 3/26/2021 at 5:17 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The reverse retro is gorgeous. I think the avs need black equipment to balance out their color scheme.

I was really trying to avoid black or navy blue with the Avs. I think they've got too much going on as it is and need to pare things down a little bit. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

CoxdsEY.png

Home - Away: After looking back through the uniforms that the Bruins have worn, I found myself liking the mid 70's-90's uniforms more than the ones with the shoulder yokes. So from there, the design really stayed the same, except I got rid of the shoulder yokes. Since I have a longstanding disagreement with white jerseys with the ends of the sleeves being colored in, I got rid of those in exchange for much smaller trim around the bottom of the sleeves. I also went back to a single color NOB which is much easier to read, especially on the black jersey, Also went back to yellow socks on the home jersey. The all-black looks wrong. 

kKB8CFA.png

Alternate: So I saw this image , featuring Torey Krug (at least I think it's Torey Krug) in a yellow sweatshirt with some historical inspiration from the 1940's Bruins. So I rolled with it. Used the stripes on the sweatshirt, with some vintage white mixed in for some razzle-dazzle. Script Bruins on the chest. Used a closely era appropriate B logo, the same one used on the gold Winter Classic jerseys, on the sleeve stripes. The sweatshirt had a tie-down, I just stuck with the normal collar. I also went with those era pants, so it rounds out as a fauxback-sort of throwback. Just trying to get away from a double black alternate scheme the B's have been going with. 

Legacy: Photos | Bobby Orr: Through the Years

Do I need to say more? 

y4SHljH.png

Reverse Retro - Having gone back to the 90's era uniforms already, keeping the same Reverse Retro would have felt like just another alternate. So instead, I RR'd a uniform I have some history with.  I for some reason think that this is a better take on this jersey than the actual yellow jersey it's based off of. 

So that ends the list of teams who are actually playing this season. I've got plans to take a stab at the Kraken, and then the special events (All-Star, Winter Classic, Stadium Series) and that would wrap us up here. 

C&C welcome! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: Boston Bruins

A minor hang-up I have with the Caps' jersey set is I personally think doing the Capitol alternate design for either the Legacy or Reverse Retro would be a bit more interesting than just repeating the dark Screaming Eagle design twice for those two slots, especially if you don't want to use the original jerseys. Using a single base design in two color schemes for both feels kinda repetitive.

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

A minor hang-up I have with the Caps' jersey set is I personally think doing the Capitol alternate design for either the Legacy or Reverse Retro would be a bit more interesting than just repeating the dark Screaming Eagle design twice for those two slots, especially if you don't want to use the original jerseys. Using a single base design in two color schemes for both feels kinda repetitive.

I had a feeling that was going to be an issue. I ran into the same problem with Tampa Bay since I recycled the same design for Legacy and Reverse Retro. I think I'll take a stab at doing something new for both teams just to break up that repetition. 

The Caps RR is just too nice to get rid of 😂

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 3/23/2021 at 10:46 AM, colinturner95 said:

ENo1xgs.png

Home - Away: Nike's involved and you didn't think at least one team was going to have a total completely and utterly Earth-shattering change? To me the Avalanche's look is tired. It's not bad, but over time, the look has been chipped away at and reduced how good it once looked. And recent tweaks, to me, just don't seem to be helping it any. Combined with this recent move towards minimalism, it was time for a top to bottom new look. The debate between black and navy blue? Settled. Get rid of both. A chest stripe with angled points to mimic mountains, with the alternate logo taking place on the chest, akin to the highest mountain point. Sleeve stripes also come to a point. Socks have a flattened version of the stripes to match their jerseys. Pants have the A logo from the Stadium series jerseys as do the helmets. 

sHMvpnn.png

Alternate: Hey remember the Stadium Series jersey that looked like the players had a napkin tucked in their collar? I felt like I was in the minority that actually liked the jersey and felt that with a tweak or two, it would be much more passable. The biggest changes are that A: the mountain on the front now actually comes to a point separate of the collar, and B: the stripe no longer is around the chest, but rather a much more extended hem stripe and features the addition of silver as a trim color. Those changes are reflected in the socks as well, with equipment being recycled from the Home and Away uniforms. 

Legacy: My feelings about the Avs' Reverse Retro are very similar to my thoughts on the Hurricanes Reverse Retro. Unlike the Canes, the Avs RR looks much better than just a shoehorned addition of grey. But even with my opinions on that, it still doesn't feel right to me to RR those jerseys. So I instead just straight threw it back to the Nordiques last home jerseys. 

lv2sdkS.png

Reverse Retro - there's not much of a history to reverse back on, so the last option was the only option really, but to go back to the pre-Edge bastardization of the OG away jerseys, this time on a steel blue base with the return of black equipment. 

C&C welcomed!

I wanted to try in the early going to have black used on the home and away, and no matter what I tried, it just felt out of place. 

I would stick with your original design.  I don't mind when home and road don't exactly match color balance with each other, unless the color balance is off on the individual uniform (like it currently is).  The only note on those would be the logo gets a little lost in the stripes since the stripes and the logo are balancing all three colors equally.

All that said, the reverse retro is perfect, and my sensibility is to use that to make a complete set with the marroon based home and keep the black pants, gloves and helmet.  I know some people don't like it, but it is still the best look for them.  The black helps frame the colors of the jersey/socks and make it stand out more.  The current look is so damn muddy; it's just a mess.

Archived