NHL by Nike: Expansion: San Diego

colinturner95

45 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

v6CyeFy.png

P6XCLku.png

That's actually a great idea. 

If I can solve the divisions issues I've been struggling with, then this might not be the end. 

Hoping that this is not the end. Would love to see some expansion teams. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/27/2021 at 8:18 PM, Silence of the Rams said:

Well if this truly is the end, might as well go out with a bang. However this was more of a Nuclear explosion than a small bang, Well, to be fair this whole set has been fireworks but I digress 

On 5/28/2021 at 2:21 PM, Karnage84 said:

Hoping that this is not the end. Would love to see some expansion teams. 

Alright. Y'all convinced me. After some more looking and figuring :censored: out, I think I have a plan. 

So the NHL is nowhere ready to expand to 36 teams in real life, but what if they were? 

The first question I had, was 4 - nine team divisions or back to 6 divisions with six teams. Geographically, I knew that some teams were going to be somewhat awkward fits, but I think that going back to the six division spread would lessen the geographical oddities. 

Without further explanation: 

AJUB359.png

bDX61yg.png

So please note that I worked the realignment in before I had expansion locations chosen, so sorry to the NHL to Houston supporters. 

When I had this figured out in the early stages, Detroit was always going to rejoin Chicago in the Central Division, which precipitated Nashville joining the Southeast, even though Detroit and Columbus are further east than Nashville is. Which also makes Columbus the odd duck in the Atlantic division, but there wasn't a much better fit that I had found. 

With the realignment in mind the four open spots and cities I decided on are: Portland, San Diego, Orlando and Quebec. 

Now, does California and Florida need more hockey teams? No, probably not, but after the dust settled and I had my openings, they just made the most sense. 

I'll leave you guys with this for now, and within the next week, we should have a team up for scrutiny and praise! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I can understand the overall predicament and I think you've done a nice job overall in balancing things out.

You might be able to achieve a similar result if you were to have a team based in Houston instead of Orlando while retaining the same division breakdowns. For being such a large state, it feels like it could support two NHL teams and you're not throwing the balance out that you've worked hard to achieve. Portland, Quebec and San Diego are all good choices and align well geographically. 

Regardless of which direction you go, I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 

Heck, I'd also argue for Atlanta as the SE expansion team over Orlando; it fills out the gap between Tampa/Florida and Nashville/Carolina and adds another large US market into the NHL while keeping things balanced. I feel like three teams in Florida risks squeezing one out, whereas having two in Florida and one in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and D.C. helps spread things out a little more.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Heck, I'd also argue for Atlanta as the SE expansion team over Orlando; it fills out the gap between Tampa/Florida and Nashville/Carolina and adds another large US market into the NHL while keeping things balanced. I feel like three teams in Florida risks squeezing one out, whereas having two in Florida and one in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and D.C. helps spread things out a little more.

Another really good solution. Out of curiousity, looked up the population for each

Houston - 6.9M

Atlanta - 6.0M

Orlando - 2.6M

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I can understand the overall predicament and I think you've done a nice job overall in balancing things out.

You might be able to achieve a similar result if you were to have a team based in Houston instead of Orlando while retaining the same division breakdowns. For being such a large state, it feels like it could support two NHL teams and you're not throwing the balance out that you've worked hard to achieve. Portland, Quebec and San Diego are all good choices and align well geographically. 

Regardless of which direction you go, I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Another really good solution. Out of curiousity, looked up the population for each

Houston - 6.9M

Atlanta - 6.0M

Orlando - 2.6M

With no disrespect intended, I am going to stick with the four teams I had chosen. Orlando got the nod because I already had a halfway cooked idea so it wasn't incredibly hard to push that one over the finish line. Now does it squeeze every drop out of the Florida hockey market, even over squeeze it? Absolutely. There's no way in hell Florida is getting a third team. 

Atlanta has had two teams already and they've found new homes. I don't see the NHL going back there with a third attempt. Of course money talks, and I just draw pictures. Hell, I might just make a second thread for all the expansion ideas I can't fit in here. 

Also, Houston never even crossed my mind at the time, mostly because I had a dumb idea set up for Oklahoma City. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

11 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

With no disrespect intended, I am going to stick with the four teams I had chosen. Orlando got the nod because I already had a halfway cooked idea so it wasn't incredibly hard to push that one over the finish line. Now does it squeeze every drop out of the Florida hockey market, even over squeeze it? Absolutely. There's no way in hell Florida is getting a third team. 

Atlanta has had two teams already and they've found new homes. I don't see the NHL going back there with a third attempt. Of course money talks, and I just draw pictures. Hell, I might just make a second thread for all the expansion ideas I can't fit in here. 

Also, Houston never even crossed my mind at the time, mostly because I had a dumb idea set up for Oklahoma City. 

Hey man, it's your show. We're just here to see what you come up with. Good point on Atlanta. 

Overall this is pretty solid, but I would personally make some changes.

-Move Winnipeg to the NW division

-Colorado to SW division

-San Diego to Atlanta and SE division

-Nashville to Central division

-Orlando to Houston

-Dallas and Houston to SE division

-Columbus to Central division

-Washington to Atlantic division

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

NHL 21's custom team builder has taken bunny hops in the last few iterations, but still lacks in many areas. But it does help launchpad a designer, like myself, when coming up with new teams, case in point, my take on the then unnamed Seattle NHL team, which I took in the direction of the Seattle Pilots

I gave Orlando the nod because 1: They're my current NHL 21 expansion franchise, thus halfway designed already & 2: They were a geographical fit. 

nhDOCve.png

What comes out of an aborted, but not abandoned rebrand for UCF from the 1972 Project, was a dumb but also kinda fun idea for Florida's 3rd NHL entry. With the entendre of the name in place, comes with some influence from NASA, particularly in the wordmark fonts, as well as in the alternate Space Shuttle logo. The asterisk is not a part of the logo, but in fact the logo isn't mine by design. It belongs to Dylan Nowak, which you can see here, but I really didn't have a strong enough logo, and resorted to the team logo I use in game. 

7kXsWsX.png

Home - Away: With the exception of Philly and Edmonton in real life, and Anaheim and Philly in this universe, wearing orange as a primary color, it made logical sense, especially for a team in Florida to go all out on the orange. Two thick stripes on the sleeves and the socks, single stripe on the hem. Citronaut logo on the chest, alt on the shoulders. 

4EaUTLp.png

Alternate: Similar to the home and away jerseys. with two big stripes, this time, spaced out slightly, and running across the chest. Citronauts wordmark in the middle of the stripe, with the Citro logo on the shoulders now. Everything else that was orange now becomes black. 

No Legacy or RR uniforms for the four expansion teams. 

C&C welcome!

14 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Overall this is pretty solid, but I would personally make some changes.

-Move Winnipeg to the NW division

-Colorado to SW division

-San Diego to Atlanta and SE division

-Nashville to Central division

-Orlando to Houston

-Dallas and Houston to SE division

-Columbus to Central division

-Washington to Atlantic division

I did say above that for the purposes of this thread, I'm gonna run with the teams I picked out, but I am thinking about another thread for just throwing expansion ideas out there. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: Expansion: Orlando
2 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

NHL 21's custom team builder has taken bunny hops in the last few iterations, but still lacks in many areas. But it does help launchpad a designer, like myself, when coming up with new teams, case in point, my take on the then unnamed Seattle NHL team, which I took in the direction of the Seattle Pilots

I gave Orlando the nod because 1: They're my current NHL 21 expansion franchise, thus halfway designed already & 2: They were a geographical fit. 

nhDOCve.png

What comes out of an aborted, but not abandoned rebrand for UCF from the 1972 Project, was a dumb but also kinda fun idea for Florida's 3rd NHL entry. With the entendre of the name in place, comes with some influence from NASA, particularly in the wordmark fonts, as well as in the alternate Space Shuttle logo. The asterisk is not a part of the logo, but in fact the logo isn't mine by design. It belongs to Dylan Nowak, which you can see here, but I really didn't have a strong enough logo, and resorted to the team logo I use in game. 

7kXsWsX.png

Home - Away: With the exception of Philly and Edmonton in real life, and Anaheim and Philly in this universe, wearing orange as a primary color, it made logical sense, especially for a team in Florida to go all out on the orange. Two thick stripes on the sleeves and the socks, single stripe on the hem. Citronaut logo on the chest, alt on the shoulders. 

4EaUTLp.png

Alternate: Similar to the home and away jerseys. with two big stripes, this time, spaced out slightly, and running across the chest. Citronauts wordmark in the middle of the stripe, with the Citro logo on the shoulders now. Everything else that was orange now becomes black. 

No Legacy or RR uniforms for the four expansion teams. 

C&C welcome!

I did say above that for the purposes of this thread, I'm gonna run with the teams I picked out, but I am thinking about another thread for just throwing expansion ideas out there. 

I love it. I FRIGGIN love it. I do wonder though; what about a whiteout third uniform instead of the black to reflect an astronauts spacesuit? The black ain't bad; it just seems a little disconnected and a bit more in line with Flyers branding to me. Home and away and fantastic though

ZUH86xc.png

12 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

Oh yeah, that wasn't me giving suggestions as to how you should take this series, it was really just me saying what I'd personally favor if the NHL ever expanded to 36.  

Back on topic with the series, I REALLY like what you did with Orlando.  Ive always been a big fan of the orange Magic city edition uniforms, and this follows that theme very well.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

Moving on to the second easiest team in this expansion: Quebec

zFIU2OH.png

If Winnipeg can get a second stab at their team, so too can Quebec. No real frills, nothing really no nonsense. I wanted to keep a lot of the charm of the original igloo logo. It was an igloo right? This new logo now bears the shape of an N, but retains much of the original logo's charm and look. The Fleur-de-Lis returns as a secondary logo. A pretty simple and easy set of wordmarks, from which the tertiary Q logo comes from. 

yLfsq9z.png

Home - Away: The biggest change from the old uniforms is that these bear almost no resemblance to the previous Nordiques uniforms we all know and love. The biggest change, is that navy comes over from the aborted rebranding that would have taken place had they stayed put. These actually bear more of a resemblance to the early WHA uniforms than anything, with a northwestern stripe on the sleeves and hem line, FDL on the shoulders. Primary logo on the chest. Pants are navy with a solid stripe down the side which leads us into our alternates. 

D1cjpja.png

Alternate: The all navy alternate goes back further than the WHA and goes all the way back to even before the NHA. These were inspired by the Quebec Bulldogs of amateur status and NHA days, with a solid stripe across the chest and sleeves and the socks. FDL moves down to the sleeve stripes, with the numbers above it. QUEBEC wordmark on the chest contained within the stripes. 

C&C welcome!

On 6/3/2021 at 1:45 PM, johne9109 said:

I love it. I FRIGGIN love it. I do wonder though; what about a whiteout third uniform instead of the black to reflect an astronauts spacesuit? The black ain't bad; it just seems a little disconnected and a bit more in line with Flyers branding to me. Home and away and fantastic though

LFwDt1Z.png

I'm not sure that I'd elevate this to full-time alternate, but this is something I think I'd bring out for special occasions or the eventual special event game. I used elements from the Extravehicular Mobility Unit, the suit you most commonly see the astronauts in, usually when their outside the ISS, which is where the solid stripe on the sleeves, hem line and on the pants comes from. The patch on the front also comes from those suits. The black lines on the sleeves, as well as the stripes on the socks come from the more modern Sokol Launch and Entry Suit. 

You can see the suits at the link posted below. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/spacesuit-design-history-timeline-changes-nasa-2018-3#sokol-launch-and-entry-suit-present-8

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: Expansion: Quebec
1 hour ago, colinturner95 said:

I wanted to keep a lot of the charm of the original igloo logo. It was an igloo right? This new logo now bears the shape of an N, but retains much of the original logo's charm and look.

The original was also a stylized lowercase N; just in a very Bauhaus-like font. The stick is what turned it into an igloo shape.

But this is a very nice update, in general. Only thing I think could improve it is if you put some fleur-de-lis in the striping to tie back to the original Nordiques.

23 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The original was also a stylized lowercase N; just in a very Bauhaus-like font. The stick is what turned it into an igloo shape.

But this is a very nice update, in general. Only thing I think could improve it is if you put some fleur-de-lis in the striping to tie back to the original Nordiques.

d2fvEW5.png

A minor update, but the hem stripes now have three smaller FDL's sublimated into the larger part of the northwestern stripe. 

17 hours ago, ATolly66 said:

San Diego & Orlando gets an NHL team over Hartford??? Colin Turner was never my friend! 

In all seriousness, the way the divisions shook out, it just wasn't going to work out. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 6/10/2021 at 3:38 PM, colinturner95 said:

d2fvEW5.png

A minor update, but the hem stripes now have three smaller FDL's sublimated into the larger part of the northwestern stripe. 

In all seriousness, the way the divisions shook out, it just wasn't going to work out. 

Really sharp update on QC. I think the FDL's bring something unique/texture-like (maybe not the right way to put it but I can't think of another way to describe it) to it without overpowering the rest of the design. Even if you removed the logo, someone would be able to determine which team that the jersey is for - which makes it iconic. So well done.

Archived