MLB Reverse Retro (AL West 12/4)

coco1997

Inspired by the awesome new NHL Reverse Retro promotion, I decided to try my hand at crafting some new MLB uniform designs with the same concept in mind--throwbacks designs with flipped color schemes. I'll go division by division, starting today with the NL Central:

CUBS
spacer.png

A blue version of their 1933 home uniform.

REDS

spacer.png

A black sleeveless jersey, inspired by their black-heavy early 2000s look.

BREWERS
spacer.png

The '70s BiG era Brewers using the green from their late '90s look

PIRATES
spacer.png

A wild one--A gold version of their mid-2000s pinstriped unis with red scripts and numbers. 

CARDINALS
spacer.png
The Cards' 1940s look using the yellow from the bird logo.

C&C appreciated!

Much like the NHL's reverse retro thing reminds me of all my 50th Anniversary series, except for the most part they didn't do nearly as much era mixing & matching as I did, these, most notably the Brewers, feel like something I'd do if I ever did a baseball version.  You do 70s top + 80s pants and cap + Motre Bame colors, I flash back to stuff like 70s Kings + Gretzky era colors & crest, Capitals original/modern mashup, 90s Sabres goathead jersey + Buffaslug, 3-in-1 Canadiens fauxback, Flying V + orca, Columbus Chill + Blue Jackets, Hartford Wolf Pack + Whalers, et al.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

8 hours ago, Discrim said:

Much like the NHL's reverse retro thing reminds me of all my 50th Anniversary series, except for the most part they didn't do nearly as much era mixing & matching as I did, these, most notably the Brewers, feel like something I'd do if I ever did a baseball version.  You do 70s top + 80s pants and cap + Motre Bame colors, I flash back to stuff like 70s Kings + Gretzky era colors & crest, Capitals original/modern mashup, 90s Sabres goathead jersey + Buffaslug, 3-in-1 Canadiens fauxback, Flying V + orca, Columbus Chill + Blue Jackets, Hartford Wolf Pack + Whalers, et al.

Thanks for the reply. Yep, there will definitely be more mixing and matching than in the actual NHL promotion. Part of the reason for that is that if I just did reversed colors for throwback uniforms, I would probably just end up reusing a bunch of designs from my MLB Historical Alternates project, which I wanted to avoid doing. Having said that, a few of the designs here will be repurposed designs from that project, but hopefully not many.  

Great start! I think some teams might get tricky, since some of them have followed the same colour scheme throught (almost) their whole history.

I really like the unique main colours for the Brewers, Pirates and Cardinals 👏🏻 I also think the mix of eras (at least for the Brewers) is a great touch.

4 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Great start! I think some teams might get tricky, since some of them have followed the same colour scheme throught (almost) their whole history.

I really like the unique main colours for the Brewers, Pirates and Cardinals 👏🏻 I also think the mix of eras (at least for the Brewers) is a great touch.

3 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

The Brewers’ one is phenomenal. 

Thank you both! The Brewers are one of the designs I'm most pleased with. 

3 hours ago, Vincady said:

Mets black jersey or im gonna riot

I better get my riot gear on because sadly I will not be putting the Mets in black. I think you'll like what I came up with for them, though. 

Let's hop over to the AL Central today!

WHITE SOX

White-Sox-3-0.png

A navy version of the White Sox 1939-41 home set. Thanks to @Carolingian Steamroller for the suggestion. 

INDIANS

Indians.png
A Wahoo-less version of the Tribe's late '80s "Major League" look in red. 

TIGERS
Tigers.png

A solid orange version of their road unis from their 1984 championship season

ROYALS
Royals.png

A royal gold take on their 1983-94 home set using the crown color from their 1979-92 primary logo

TWINS
Twins.pngL
And lastly, the double knit era Twins in red with powder blue accents from their road set

C&C appreciated! The NL East will be up next. 

On 11/20/2020 at 7:35 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Thank Twinkies set is so clean. 

Love the Sox in blue!

Thanks!

Up today is the NL East:

BRAVES
Braves.png

The feathered sleeve, 1970s Hank Aaron-era Braves in red instead of blue.

MARLINS
Marlins.png

The '90s Marlins in teal.

METS
Mets.png

The one-year 1987 Mets road set in orange with racing stripes.

PHILLIES
Phillies-2-0.png

The '70s era burgundy Phils with white pinstripes and powder blue trim. 

NATIONALS
Nationals.png

The Nats 2006-07 "DC" alternate with beveled numbers in Expos colors. 

C&C appreciated! The AL East will be up soon. 

1 hour ago, Victormrey said:

Good to see you've kept up the good quality! I specially like the Twins and the Mets 👌🏻 I can't wait to see more!

Thank you!

Up today is the AL East!

ORIOLES
Orioles.png

This one was tough. Since the O's have worn the same colors their whole existence, I threw back to the late '90s home uniform with double outlines and emphasized the yellow and burgundy from the Maryland flag

RED SOX
Red-Sox.png

A red version of their '70s pullovers

YANKEES

Yankees-w-script.png

This was another tough one. I inverted the Yankees classic home pinstripes and added a dash of red to evoke this awesome dugout jacket from the '50s along with the arched "YANKEES" script from the late '20s

RAYS
Rays-w-placket-piping.png

This one is pretty wild. A reversed version of their inaugural Devil Ray home uniforms, with a gradient jersey and white scripts and numbers.

BLUE JAYS
Blue-Jays.png

The late '90s-early 2000s Jays (before the Dark Times...before the Black Jays) using turquoise as the primary color. 

C&C appreciated! If anyone has any requests or suggestions for some different ideas they'd like to see, feel free to let me know.

On 11/25/2020 at 2:02 PM, coco1997 said:

Thank you!

Up today is the AL East!

ORIOLES
Orioles.png

This one was tough. Since the O's have worn the same colors their whole existence, I threw back to the late '90s home uniform with double outlines and emphasized the yellow and burgundy from the Maryland flag

What would a design look like that incorporated the St. Louis Browns colors?

Up next is the NL West:

DIAMONDBACKS
D-Backs.png

The inaugural D-Backs' look in turquoise instead of purple.

ROCKIES
Rockies.png

Not much you can do with the Rockies since they've always worn black and purple, so I threw waaaaay back to the Denver Bears MiLB team and gave them a red-dominant look. 

DODGERS
Dodgers-2-0.png

A monochrome royal blue look inspired by the Brooklyn Bums' 1944 road uniform, complete with t-bars and McAuliffe numbers. 

PADRES
Padres.png

An orange version of their 1990s-early 2000s navy alternate

GIANTS

Giants.png

Their 1977-82 pullover look in metallic gold

Archived