On 4/24/2021 at 7:15 AM, John1988 said:

Arizona Cardinals v2.0

For this go around, I decided to steal an idea from one of my favorite looking college teams, the Arizona State football team. Sleeves use a sublimated pattern based on the Arizona state flag, and uniform template switches to the new Nike Vapor Fusion system. For the alternates, I brought out 2 new looks: an all-black alternate, and a uniform based on the Arizona State flag that includes desert sand colored helmet and pants. Throwback uniforms stay as is (RIP to Pat Tillman, a true hero). 

IBJv11r.png

3546ZbA.png

knPNB0x.png

Cma4LEm.png

Br2zFNZ.png

Love the Tillman throwback. Great job there. 

I really like the overall set except for that odd salute to the flag alternate. Just doesn't really work for me. For the black, I'd go cardinal red on black without the white. Lean into the blackout but keep the red. What's the point of a team being called the "Cardinals" if you don't have cardinal red. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mrcubfan415 said:

As an Iowa Hawkeyes fan, I highly approve of this Steelers throwback uni!

Haha well if you're gonna steal a look, you might as well steal from the best right?

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Love the Tillman throwback. Great job there. 

I really like the overall set except for that odd salute to the flag alternate. Just doesn't really work for me. For the black, I'd go cardinal red on black without the white. Lean into the blackout but keep the red. What's the point of a team being called the "Cardinals" if you don't have cardinal red. 

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate you checking my stuff out. The Arizona flag set is for sure over the top, I just loved the colors and was trying stuff out. I'll play around with the red on black look, maybe there's a better way to do a blackout look. 

On 5/3/2021 at 9:05 AM, nuordr said:

I was mainly referring the plain pants. I believe every NFL team needs stripes on the pants as they are not high school football teams. 

That's fair, sorry if I misunderstood where you were coming from. And I do tend to agree, although there are exceptions (Penn State, Notre Dame, etc.). 

On 11/19/2020 at 5:17 PM, John1988 said:

TEAM #11: Jacksonville Jaguars

Jacksonville has always been an enigma to me. They have an amazing color scheme and primary logo... yet somehow, they always fall short. The previous generation ones were a trainwreck, and the current ones (while not bad) are basically glorified practice uniforms. I went back and forth on what I wanted to do with these. In the end, I decided to combine some of the best aspects of the different generations.

For the helmets, I went with the two-toned black and teal color from the 2009-2012 era, with the current primary logo.  This would give them something unique compared to the rest of the league (shoutout to this guy for the inspiration). Added in the full-bodied jaguars from the 1995-2008 era on the sleeves. Numbers and player names follow the previous-generation style. I also added the Jags shield logo on the pants/shoulders, and a DUVAL wordmark inside the collars. The end result is basically a modern take on their throwback uniforms

gYJNZoE.png

2rq3eLN.png

8MMqN5X.png

XRunJYt.png

XjC3Nr2.png

fuLq0Aa.png

I really like these uniforms a lot, its a mix of the eras in Jacksonville

18 hours ago, John1988 said:

That's fair, sorry if I misunderstood where you were coming from. And I do tend to agree, although there are exceptions (Penn State, Notre Dame, etc.). 

I agree with those two and would add Florida State and Michigan. But I personally believe that all NFL teams should never have plain pants. By the way, I love that Jacksonville uniform! 

spacer.png

Carolina Panthers v2.0

For this go-around, I decided to go in a more traditional direction than my first set. Uniforms are basically an updated version of their current look. 

M7z00hX.png

IX66ipA.png

enxlGJ0.png

b52XgpD.png

Houston Texans 2.0, aka Houston Oilers reborn

I know, I know - Houston doesn't actually own the naming rights to the Oilers anymore. But this is concept land, and in concept land, the Oilers jerseys are too good to leave on the shelf. 

Nothing against the Texans, but I honestly find their whole brand to be kinda boring. They have a cool logo, but the rest of their look is kinda generic. Also, considering that they play in the same state as the Cowboys, Texas Longhorns, and Texas A&M Aggies: it's pretty clear they're far from the most popular team in their own state. Which kinda makes the whole "Texans" moniker suspect, in and of itself. The Oilers are just a more unique and iconic brand.

Furthermore, considering the current state of dysfunction (worst trade in modern historyforcing out the most popular player in franchise historywhatever is going on w/ Deshaun Watson) maybe a hard reset on the Houston Texans era isn't the worst idea in the world. 

AzMQjZq.png

6G1R0cv.png

0YuPyV6.png

PUb9oMJ.png

On 5/3/2021 at 3:31 PM, DNAsports said:

Adding to what @nuordr said-

The fact of the matter is, the Cardinals uniforms you’ve created are too plain. Having an alternate uniform heavily influenced by the Arizona state flag doesn’t really justify it being different either and it feels like a “just because” uniform.

Try incorporating the state flag colors throughout the entire set instead of limiting it to one uniform. By incorporating, I don’t mean just slapping the flag design on the uniform and calling it a day. Use the colors and only the colors.

I disagree and find the criticism in here way off base for this set.

The Arizona Cardinals are the oldest NFL franchise with a look that is obviously in need of a back to basics refresh. This eliminates the piping mess without an over-reliance on black. While I can see thinking this is too far of a pendulum swing, I think it hits the mark. I love striping on an NFL uniform, but the only element this team has ever owned are their stripeless classic helmets. A solid color look makes perfect sense for this team (moreso than the Jags, for instance), and the sublimated flag elements brings it to the current day.

Adding more colors to the other uniforms would be a mistake IMO. The weakest portion is probably the full flag jersey, as it's a big garish next to the rest. I think it works as a "city" style alt, but you wouldn't want an identity built around it, given the long history with red, white, and black.

20 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I disagree and find the criticism in here way off base for this set.

The Arizona Cardinals are the oldest NFL franchise with a look that is obviously in need of a back to basics refresh. This eliminates the piping mess without an over-reliance on black. While I can see thinking this is too far of a pendulum swing, I think it hits the mark. I love striping on an NFL uniform, but the only element this team has ever owned are their stripeless classic helmets. A solid color look makes perfect sense for this team (moreso than the Jags, for instance), and the sublimated flag elements brings it to the current day.

Adding more colors to the other uniforms would be a mistake IMO. The weakest portion is probably the full flag jersey, as it's a big garish next to the rest. I think it works as a "city" style alt, but you wouldn't want an identity built around it, given the long history with red, white, and black.

What the OP is doing is essentially a rehash of what the Jaguars did IRL. Attempting to readjust too much by doing too little. Removing any identifiable elements and stripping the character away from the uniform. The current Cardinals set may be universally hated by NFL fans, but at least you know who you’re looking at. I’m not blasting the design done here, I’m just trying to get the point across that more could be done.

The Utah Utes are a great example of what can be done with red, white, and black

As is Cincinnati as well

Ball State ain’t too bad either

3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

What the OP is doing is essentially a rehash of what the Jaguars did IRL. Attempting to readjust too much by doing too little. Removing any identifiable elements and stripping the character away from the uniform. The current Cardinals set may be universally hated by NFL fans, but at least you know who you’re looking at. I’m not blasting the design done here, I’m just trying to get the point across that more could be done.

The Utah Utes are a great example of what can be done with red, white, and black

As is Cincinnati as well

Ball State ain’t too bad either

I think the Cardinals could own a simple look, though, because all you need is the helmet to know who's playing already. If we're going to use college comparisons, it makes more sense to go the Penn State/Notre Dame route (teams with history versus up-and-coming little brother programs). And this is still more detailed than the Jags: number outlines, sublimated elements, plus alternates that feel like distinct looks while staying within the identity.

1 minute ago, -Akronite- said:

I think the Cardinals could own a simple look, though, because all you need is the helmet to know who's playing already. If we're going to use college comparisons, it makes more sense to go the Penn State/Notre Dame route (teams with history versus up-and-coming little brother programs). And this is still more detailed than the Jags: number outlines, sublimated elements, plus alternates that feel like distinct looks while staying within the identity.

Sublimated elements in a uniform almost never look good and they’re borderline pointless. For example, the Seahawks and Browns helmet stripe. Thankfully, the latter of two got rid of it in the new redesign. Seattle would look perfectly fine and I doubt anyone would notice or care if it was gone.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I get why the OP chose to include the sublimated flag, but it’s not needed either. Like you said, the helmet is the most distinguishable part of the Cardinals identity. You should know it’s the Arizona Cardinals without having to include the flag itself in any capacity.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, John1988 said:

Los Angeles Rams, v2.0

Same as my original Rams concepts, but w/ royal blue instead of navy. I think it integrates better with the Rams' history, and pops a little bit nicer w/ the gold pants and trim. 

60hHFXH.png

GGZ31UB.png

p3pLCzp.png

2fQXFgo.png

4M1UUgf.png

zKghXoZ.png

I love this one!

On 1/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, John1988 said:

Los Angeles Rams, v2.0

Same as my original Rams concepts, but w/ royal blue instead of navy. I think it integrates better with the Rams' history, and pops a little bit nicer w/ the gold pants and trim. 

60hHFXH.png

GGZ31UB.png

p3pLCzp.png

2fQXFgo.png

4M1UUgf.png

zKghXoZ.png

I love this set. Modern touches but keeps the traditional feel. Hopefully the Rams go this direction when they inevitably dump the current disaster. 

I would like to see you integrate the Fibonacci curve notch in the pant stripes like you did in the first version. 

• 3 weeks later...

Minnesota Vikings 2.0

Vikings definitely upgraded big time with their 2013 rebrand; however, I'm still not convinced their current look is as good as their throwbacks. As such, this iteration blends the current look with some elements from the past.

PnC5HV6.png

FBHLRtx.png

E7ohvrw.png

Rp9l5Ym.png

gwCID8f.png

BCLGyKA.png

Dallas Cowboys 2.0

For this iteration, I tried to accomplish two things:

1. Unify the colors across all sets (no more 3 different shades of blue, 2 different shades of silver, etc.)
  2. Blend the modern and throwback styles together

In the end, I decided to use the silver/green color for the helmets and pants and navy blue for the jerseys. Admittedly, silver is probably cleaner.... but that seafoam green/silver is so synonymous with the Cowboys that at this point, it just feels wrong to take it out. Number style is the old-school font.  Alternate and throwback looks stay as is. 

4OR7Eya.png

xMMuIqn.png

FgaJRhH.png

ls8Y3Sc.png

Washington 2.0, aka "Washington Warriors"

It's been a full year, and Washington still hasn't decided what they're gonna call themselves in 2022 (although there's apparently  over 30 contenders). So it's still essentially open season for ideas. This one is a little more traditional than my first go round, I just simply called them the Washington Warriors instead of the Washington Football Team. I think this name change would be a respectful tribute to Native American culture, without the racist connotations.

cKTUqfE.png

idN4lzg.png

ghSr3zc.png

New York Jets 2.0

This look is very similar to what NY is using currently, with a few things tweaked. For starters, the black trim on the numbers and helmets is removed entirely. New York has always (at least since they've been the Jets) used green and white, and trying to shoehorn black in to the primary look just seems forced. I saved that for the alternate look, which is an all-black look that uses white numbering + green trim. Finally, the large "New York" word mark on the chest is replaced with more subtle "Jets" logo. The lame primary logo (which doesn't even include a jet motif of any sort) is replaced by the classic 80's-style logo.

Tt642e1.png

0DMA1B9.png

gwu1Jtl.png

GJKSas9.png

Jacksonville Jaguars 2.0

Building on my original Jags concept, but cleaning up and simplifying things a bit. Much closer to what they currently wear. I think these hit the sweet spot between being interesting and unique, without being overly generic like the current iteration.

Ge3cBk8.png

QZDEulP.png

uycUGTH.png

UoWWIeu.png

qLzub8d.png

Archived