Revisiting the California Soccer League! (SERIES FINALE)

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/28/2021 at 3:45 PM, QCS said:

Why would you hate yourself? Those designs are fantastic! I adore both the home and clash kits, and using that Jazz style is brilliant. Amazing work as always!

ย 

It's just so...tacky, that's all!ย ๐Ÿ˜‚ย I'm glad you like it! :)

ย 

On 2/28/2021 at 4:29 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

The WB sponsor had me thinking, how would it look with them pulling an Atletico Madrid when Columbia sponsored their kit and advertise different movies made by them like Wonder Woman 1984.

ย 

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/10/16-different-sponsors-in-one-season-when-atletico-changed-sponsor-almost-every-match.html

ย 

You know what, that's actually a pretty cool idea! I mocked that up real quick just for you:

ย 

Spoiler

50999085131_c775e05f1e_o.png

ย 

In retrospect, I still prefer just the WB logo because of how easily I can tweak that logo to blend in more with the design. However, since many shirt sponsors IRL (especially for a tier-two team) don't recolor their logos to fit in with a team's look, this may be doable realistically!

ย 

On 2/28/2021 at 7:16 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

LIKE OMAGOD TOTALLY RAD BITCHIN!!! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I grew up in the valley and I love 80s culture!

ย 

Thanks! I'm glad this got the approval of a a Valley resident! :)

ย 

---

ย 

Gonna leave SoCal for the next few teams, so here's one from the Central Valley!

ย 

Valley Division

Clovis SC

Clovis, California

Founded:ย 1986

Affiliated with:ย Fresno SC

ย 

50998387193_2bd4d31f0c_o.png

ย 

Fresno's eastern neighbor prides itself around the Western cowboy lifestyle (which they call "The Clovis Way of Life"), as they host an annual rodeo, various cowboy-themed festivals, and prominently feature a cowboy on their city seal. I decided to represent the team with a C-shaped horseshoe with a Western-style font. I used the brown/cream from the Sacramento Republic FCย and took inspiration from theย Indianapolis Coltsย and this Racing Louisville FC concept by @mcrosby.

ย 

The tan home kit brings the horseshoe design of the crest into a center stripe, and has a sublimated khaki pattern. The brown clash kit features a subtle pinstripe pattern with one line representing the Western Pacific Railroad's path (which was influential in the city's growth) through Clovis. The kits are supplied by Adidas like its parent club, and the sponsor is the Fresno-based Pelco security camera company.

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIOย 

ย 

On 3/3/2021 at 8:21 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I posted the valley pic in a SFV sub on reddit, they liked it, asked if it was a real team!

ย 

Thanks for posting it to the SFV locals! I looked through the comments, and it does pretty well-received! :)

ย 

(I added a link to that post in case I ever wanna go back to it sometime)

ย 

9 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I will say this is one of my favorite concept series of all time

ย 

Thank you very much, and it's truly an honor! :)

ย 

---

ย 

It's been a minute since we last visited the Northwest Division, and up next is the easternmost Bay Area team!

ย 

Northwest Division

Delta Union

Antioch, CA

Founded:ย 2007

ย 

51004624553_e81117dd90_o.png

ย 

The three bays that make up the Bay Area (the San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun bays) eventually lead inland to the vast Sacramento-San Joaquin River delta. This team's identity is centered around the delta's natural environment and representsย the four suburban cities that line the west end of the delta, with Antioch being the largest city of the four. Sandhill cranes call the delta their wintertime home and are thus the main feature of the crest. An abstract illustration of the delta (more on that later) is found inside a diamond behind the crane.

ย 

The checkered home kit represents the modern landscape of the delta, where the estuary snakesย through marshes and farmland. The clash kit features the abstract delta pattern from the crest: this delta is a unique inverted delta that branches out into five rivers (the Calaveras, Cosumnes, Mokelumne, Sacramento, and San Joaquin rivers). The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is John Muir Health (although that's based out of Concord to the west).

ย 

On a side note, I almost named this team "Delta United" until I realized that it sounded like someone pointing out what they would see at an airportย ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

---

ย 

I'll be taking a little break from concepts for the next week or so, but until then, enjoy the concepts and please be safe! :)

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIOย 

ย 

Spoiler

ย 

First off thanks for continuing on with this idea. These two are some of my favorite kits and for completely different reasons. I'm really digging up the ingenuity with Fremont Dynamo SC. Both Dynamo kits are very strong without being too busy. I think you did a great job with balancing these.ย 

The Irvine FC kits are just traditionally so appealing. I wish I could put my finger on it. I guess I just like how simple they are aesthetically?ย Each color just works very well with the other.

My criticism with these kits (and all the Nike kits quoted below) are the graded circle design that is on either end of the main sponsor. I assume that's just the template there but I think there's an improvement to be made on the clash Dynamo kit without them there.

I think both of these crests are lacking in areas. The Dynamo crest has a really nice shape the overall badge but I think the more I look at it the more confused I get. Is there another shape that's supposed to be there besides the "F" and the lightning bolt? That's all I see but at the same time it feels like there's more and maybe I just can't find it.ย 

I went to school in Irvine and lived there for a couple of years so if the crest is supposed to be as cookie cutter and inoffensive as possible on purpose for the joke then you hit that nail on the head.

ย 

Spoiler

ย 

I just want to give props here for using an oil tower in these kits and it not being weird to see. In my opinion they work very well.

ย 

Spoiler

ย 

Wow, great linework with the crest. These kits pop in all the right ways. I'm such a fan of the home kit.

ย 

Spoiler

ย 

This re-design really stands out when compared to your other work. This is just a very solid facelift with some of the basics in the badge and some of your unique flair with the clash kit. Well done!

ย 

Spoiler

ย 

ร“rale Vato!ย I have nothing but praise for you on this one. The decision to go with Club Atlรฉtico de East Los as the team name is fantastic. The crest was such a good idea and the execution is damn good. The text choice fits very well and I'm such a a big fan of the incorporation of the tail fin and Whittier Arch.ย 

These clash kits with the pinstriping look are so next level. I think it would be better without those Nike graded circles around the main sponsor but again I think my personal preference is never having those there.ย I just want to give you the biggest ups on these. You've got this Mexican-American's approval.ย Shout-out the Golden Boy as well!

ย 

Spoiler

ย 

I'm just here to thank you for helping me visualize an idea I've had with using the Jazz design with jerseys. Thank you!

I see that you are going to be working on a Santa Ana team. I just want to throw out Suavecito Pomade is a potential sponsor. They are a Santa Ana based company and have a presence in the community. They may not be big enough for your purposes but I just wanted to throw their names out there.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:21 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I posted the valley pic in a SFV sub on reddit, they liked it, asked if it was a real team!

ย 

Speaking of Reddit, are you familiar withย /r/SoccerDesign?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded |ย Behance portfolio

ย 

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

On 3/5/2021 at 1:15 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

Delta United would make an underrated nickname for an Atlanta team (Delta hub and busiest airport) or in Mississippi (there is a region in that state called the Delta)

ย 

Oh for sure! It sounds like a pretty unique name, too

ย 

On 3/5/2021 at 7:27 PM, LastSonOfSD said:
ย  Reveal hidden contents

ย 

First off thanks for continuing on with this idea. These two are some of my favorite kits and for completely different reasons. I'm really digging up the ingenuity with Fremont Dynamo SC. Both Dynamo kits are very strong without being too busy. I think you did a great job with balancing these.ย 

The Irvine FC kits are just traditionally so appealing. I wish I could put my finger on it. I guess I just like how simple they are aesthetically?ย Each color just works very well with the other.

My criticism with these kits (and all the Nike kits quoted below) are the graded circle design that is on either end of the main sponsor. I assume that's just the template there but I think there's an improvement to be made on the clash Dynamo kit without them there.

I think both of these crests are lacking in areas. The Dynamo crest has a really nice shape the overall badge but I think the more I look at it the more confused I get. Is there another shape that's supposed to be there besides the "F" and the lightning bolt? That's all I see but at the same time it feels like there's more and maybe I just can't find it.ย 

I went to school in Irvine and lived there for a couple of years so if the crest is supposed to be as cookie cutter and inoffensive as possible on purpose for the joke then you hit that nail on the head.

ย 

ย 

I just want to give props here for using an oil tower in these kits and it not being weird to see. In my opinion they work very well.

ย 

ย 

Wow, great linework with the crest. These kits pop in all the right ways. I'm such a fan of the home kit.

ย 

ย 

This re-design really stands out when compared to your other work. This is just a very solid facelift with some of the basics in the badge and some of your unique flair with the clash kit. Well done!

ย 

ย 

ร“rale Vato!ย I have nothing but praise for you on this one. The decision to go with Club Atlรฉtico de East Los as the team name is fantastic. The crest was such a good idea and the execution is damn good. The text choice fits very well and I'm such a a big fan of the incorporation of the tail fin and Whittier Arch.ย 

These clash kits with the pinstriping look are so next level. I think it would be better without those Nike graded circles around the main sponsor but again I think my personal preference is never having those there.ย I just want to give you the biggest ups on these. You've got this Mexican-American's approval.ย Shout-out the Golden Boy as well!

ย 

ย 

I'm just here to thank you for helping me visualize an idea I've had with using the Jazz design with jerseys. Thank you!

I see that you are going to be working on a Santa Ana team. I just want to throw out Suavecito Pomade is a potential sponsor. They are a Santa Ana based company and have a presence in the community. They may not be big enough for your purposes but I just wanted to throw their names out there.

ย 

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback! :)

ย 

The graded circle design is part of the template, unfortunately, so I don't think I'll be fixing those to keep the spirit of the Raysox templates. I'm sure that in real life, though, those graded circles would be super subtle and won't interfere with the jersey design all too much.

ย 

As far as the Dynamo crest is involved, there's nothing much else other than the F and the thunderbolt. There is also the white shape, but it has no real significance other than complementing the shape of the shield.ย I will admit that it was a pretty awkward logo to formulate, though.

ย 

I was really trying to nail the suburban, cookie-cutter look with the Irvine identity, and I'm glad that it's accurate from the standpoint of an Irvine student!ย ๐Ÿ˜‚ย I'm also glad that I got your approval for East Los: I know some people that are into lowriders and really wanted to make a team identity that would be authentic to that fascinating culture

ย 

(I'm a Pacquiao fan, and the fights from the late 2000s [including the De La Hoya ones] were so fun to watch!)

ย 

I'm glad that you liked Oildale and The Valley's clash kit! I wish I knew what teams the ones highlighted in red were about, as the quotes did not include any images :/

ย 

Thanks for the input about Santa Ana's sponsor, and I'll definitely consider it once I get to their team!

ย 

On 3/8/2021 at 10:23 AM, MDTrey4 said:

Taking a break?? Noooo. Kidding, we'll all be looking forward to seeing the continuation of CSL2

ย 

No need to worry anymore, as CSL2 is back!

ย 

On 3/8/2021 at 10:49 PM, -kj said:

ย 

Speaking of Reddit, are you familiar withย /r/SoccerDesign?

ย 

I actually haven't heard of that particular subreddit, but I do follow r/ConceptFootballย which looks to be more active!

ย 

---

ย 

I'm back for some more CSL2 concepts!

ย 

Valley Division

Delanteros CF

Delano, California

Founded:ย 2000

ย 

51044396217_3c57b3c257_o.png

ย 

Delano is a small town in Kern County that had a huge impact on organized labor: the United Farm Workers was born in Delano, and Cesar Chavez and Larry Itliong began theirย famous grape strikeย there in 1965. The UFW flagย gives the team its colors and Aztec eagle logo (with inspiration taken from Mexican logos such as Aeromรฉxico). "Delantero" in Spanish means "forward", which references the goals of the UFW and the grape strikes, and coincidentally fits well with the city's name.ย 

ย 

The idea behind this team's protestย identity was inspired by the Memphis Grizzlies' "I Am A Man" jersey, which honored Martin Luther King's push for civil rights.

ย 

The home kit is a Sao Paulo FC-style hooped kit with the three colors from the UFW flag. The clash kit features a pixel pattern that outlines the UFW Aztec eagle. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is the Wonderful Halos clementine company.

ย 

(It's also worth noting that all proceeds from Delanteros jersey sales go towards supporting local labor unions)

ย 

It was brought to my attention by @every.ones.a.loboย and @TrueYankee26ย that my Delano logo has a striking resemblance to the logos of the University of Dayton in Ohio. I had honestly never heard of this school nor seen this logo, so any resemblance is purely coincidental.

ย 

I have now revamped the Delano crest so that it no longer resembles the Dayton Flyers. The original crest can be seen here.

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIOย 

ย 

23 hours ago, woody86 said:

"Delantero" in Spanish means "forwardโ€

ย 

I believe โ€œdelanteroโ€ is also the Spanish word for the soccer forward position...!

ย 

I saw that definition, too! I guess the Delano team name is aย tripleย pun!ย ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

4 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:
10 hours ago, every.ones.a.lobo said:

I like the simplicity of the Delanteros FC logo, but I feel like it may be veering too close to the University of Dayton's primary logo.ย 

7083_dayton_flyers-primary-2015.png

ย 

My exact thought when I saw the logo

ย 

If I'm being completely honest with y'all, I had actually never heard of this school and their logo! Now that y'all point it out, it is indeed a very striking resemblance to the Delano logo. I had no intention of plagiarizing this logo I'd never seen before, and the resemblance is purely coincidentalย ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

ย 

If the resemblance is particularly bothersome, I'd be happy to redesign the Delano logo!

ย 

---

ย 

Western Division

SC Gilroy

Gilroy, California

Founded:ย 2010

ย 

51047255213_b4933dfa60_o.png

ย 

The city of Gilroy (just a short drive away from me in Salinas) is known for its garlic production, with the entire city smelling like garlic in the hot summer months. A garlic illustration is the main focal point of the crest, with the style and colors being heavily inspired by my Snapchat Geofilter design for Gilroy.ย 

ย 

The home kit is a simple striped jersey with the two-tone green from the crest, representing the agriculture still common in southern Santa Clara County. The clash kit is a design homage to the unique twists of theย Circus Trees*ย found in the Gilroy Gardens theme park. A black sash on the right sleeves memorializes the three killed duringย the tragic Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting of 2019 (this is set in the 2019 season, after all). The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and the sponsor is Gilroy Gardens.

ย 

*I haven't been to Gilroy Gardens in so long that I honestly forgot about the Circus Trees until I was making this team

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIOย 

ย 

7 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

If the resemblance is particularly bothersome, I'd be happy to redesign the Delano logo!

ย 

It's not bothersome at all (to me), but since I enjoy seeing all your designs during this project, I am interested in seeing a different treatment for the Delanteros FC identity.ย 

17 hours ago, every.ones.a.lobo said:

It's not bothersome at all (to me), but since I enjoy seeing all your designs during this project, I am interested in seeing a different treatment for the Delanteros FC identity.ย 

ย 

Will do! I don't know yet when I'll revisit Delano, but I will have a Version 2 of the Delanteros for you! :)

ย 

10 hours ago, MDTrey4 said:

The garlic plant logo looks amazing. Usually a shrunken shield shape like that looks awkward but the way the top of the plant sprouts out looks great.

ย 

Thank you very much! I experimented with various styles of shields (including one that is flat on the bottom and arches at the top) as it's nice to have some visual variety here~

ย 

---

ย 

One last stop in the northern half of California before heading back south!

ย 

Capital Division

Solano United

Fairfield, CA

Founded:ย 1998

51050332898_4b87506a6a_o.png

ย 

Fairfield and Vacaville* are two neighboring cities (separated onlyย by some hills) in central Solano County, the northwesternmost reaches of the Bay Area in my personal opinion. The quartered crest references the history of the two cities: Fairfield was founded by former clippership captain Robert H. Waterman, and two nut trees represent Vacaville's beloved Nut Tree Plaza. The diagonal lines represent the diagonal route of Interstate 80 through Solano County between the Bay Area and Sacramento, and the dark green/gold color scheme is taken from the area's hills. The shape of the shield is taken from the 60th Air Mobility Wing, which is based out of Fairfield's Travis Air Force Base.

ย 

*Unfortunately, Vacaville's name does NOT come from the Spanish word for cows, which is "vaca"

ย 

The Vacaville-inspired home kit is a diagonal sash design inspired by Vacaville's flagย and features a unique green-gold gradient. The Fairfield-inspired clash kit is aย veryย bright diagonal gradient design (inspired by Orlando City's 2021 home kit) that uses Jelly Belly's color scheme. The kits are supplied by New Balance, and the sponsor is Jelly Belly, whose headquarters and main factory is in Fairfield.

ย 

---

ย 

Also, I recently figured out how to add custom logos onto Google Maps, so my interactive map of CSL and CSL2 teams look extra cool now! Check it out through my portfolio site here!ย :)

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIOย 

ย 

Fantastic work, as always! I'm a big fan of Gilroy's color scheme in particular, everything works together so nicely. Solano United is nice as well, it's nothing special, but a good design nonetheless.

the user formerly known as cdclt

13 hours ago, QCS said:

Fantastic work, as always! I'm a big fan of Gilroy's color scheme in particular, everything works together so nicely. Solano United is nice as well, it's nothing special, but a good design nonetheless.

ย 

Thank you very much! :)

ย 

I feel like I don't see a lot of green/brown color combos in the sports logos world, and it never hurts to experiment with different color schemes! As for Solano, it was one of those filler teams that I just had to do something for, especially for a suburban California team.

ย 

Seeing that you're a huge fan of Charlotte sports, you might get a kick out of this next one!

ย 

---

ย 

I do realize that it takes me quite a while to make the San Diego-area teams, and that's mostly because my personal knowledge of the area is quite limited compared to the rest of the state's urban areas. I've only been to San Diego at most probably 5 times, so my only experiences there are with the mainstream, touristy areas.ย I have CSL2 teams planned forย Encinitas, Escondido, Poway, andย La Jolla/Miramar, so anyone with better knowledge of those places is more than welcome to send ideas and suggestions my way!ย 

ย 

With that said, here's our first CSL2 team from San Diego County!

ย 

Southern Division

Ciudad Nacional CF

National City, California

Founded:ย 1995

Affiliated with:ย Coronado International

ย 

51054043756_ed3c80a17c_o.png

ย 

National City is a rather small suburb located southeast of downtown San Diego, and it is best known for theย Mile of Cars. The Mile of Cars welcome signย was shaped perfectly for a Spanish-style crest, specifically in the style of Real Betis.ย The team's name is in Spanish, as National City has a majority-Hispanic population. A "CN" monogram makes up the top of the crest, and the checkered pattern and color scheme is also taken from the Mile of Cars sign.

ย 

The home kit features the checkered pattern from the crest, whereas the clash kit puts the checkered pattern into two chevrons (referencing the Naval Base San Diego located just outside National City). The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is the Filipino supermarket chain Seafood City, which had its first store in National City.

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIOย 

ย 

Big fan of CNCF! Those black/blue checkers are exactly what I hope to see from Charlotte FC. The chevron pattern is also really nice, it's a shame the adidas stuff kinda gets in the way of the design.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived