Revisiting the California Soccer League! (SERIES FINALE)

TheGiantsFan

On 1/11/2021 at 12:53 PM, sportsfan7 said:

Tequila Sunrise?

True! I'll consider trying out a Tequila Sunrise-style kit in the future, and thanks for the suggestion!

On 1/11/2021 at 2:16 PM, MDTrey4 said:

Is there significance to the orange V inside the shell? I'm vaguely seeing the V-O for Ventura-Oxnard but I don't think the O is prominent enough compared to the V.

Maybe making the arms of the V stop behind the white banner. Or even narrowing the V by one line on the shell. It might draw the eye to it more.

Overall, great concept (and series) still.

The orange "V" inside the shell is indeed for the "V-O" monogram for the two cities the team represents. I kinda like the subtlety of the "V-O" monogram on the crest, so I decided to draw more attention to the "O" part of it by adding a golden stroke around it, as seen below:

Spoiler

50823358333_8b2c391ceb_o.png

Thanks for the feedback!

---

Gold Country Division

Stockton United

Stockton, California

Founded: 1986

Championships: 1

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

23859725580_3110bb6a88_c.jpg

50829136783_dcca2d01e9_o.png

At last, we have made it to the 49th and final team of the California Soccer League! The Stockton area has several decently-sized cities surrounding it, so I decided to combine elements from both Stockton and those cities in this crest. Each of the five divisions of the crest has a symbol representing the five main cities of this part of San Joaquin County: the ship steering wheel at the upper-left corner represents Stockton, one of California's two inland ports (the other is Sacramento); the grapes at the upper-right represents Lodi, known for its Zinfandel wineries; the train at the lower-left represents Lathrop, a city founded by the railroad; the pig at lower-right is a reference to Manteca, a city that was named after the Spanish word for pig lard after an accidental misspelling of "Monteca"; lastly, the bottom triangle represents Tracy, which is located inside a triangle created by Interstates 5, 205, and 580. The slogan is "Rough and Ready", a reference to the Rough and Ready Island in the Port of Stockton. The colors are white, "Brick City Red", and "Mudville Brown" - references to nicknames of Stockton.

The kits I wanted to make as simple as possible, while making Stockton look like a team you wouldn't want to mess with. The home kit is a simple red jersey with brown shorts, while the clash kit features a brown sash with red borders. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is the A&W root beer and restaurant company, which had its starts in Lodi.

Here's a little story I created about the fierce regional rivalry between Stockton and Modesto to the south: Manteca is located roughly halfway between Stockton and Modesto on CA-99, and so it is a highly-contested territory between the two teams. Stockton represents Manteca directly on the crest, while Modesto is more modest about it. However, fans in the city easily sway between either team (Lathrop and Tracy are solidified in Stockton's fanbase), even making the divisional matchups between the two teams be known as the "Battle of Manteca".

Aside from the redrawing of the crest icons (which represent the five San Joaquin County cities represented by this team), Stockton's very simple identity remains unchanged and very non-Modesto (which remains Stockton's very bitter enemy to the southeast).

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're down to our final 10 teams!

---

Mojave Division

Sol de Yuma

Yuma, Arizona

Founded: 1986

Championships: 2

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

22686723858_815ea9b82b_c.jpg

50833864916_0608de2718_o.png

Yuma's team fulfilled two things that I wanted at least once in this series: a desert-themed team and a team that uses purple. Southern Arizona is notable for its abundance of Saguaro cacti, and so a Saguaro takes center stage in the desert landscape depicted on the crest. The combination of purple and the desert landscape is similar to the one in Arizona's license plates. A gradient sun is seen behind the cactus, appropriate because, according to Wikipedia, "Of any populated place in the contiguous United States, Yuma is the driest, the sunniest, and the least humid, has the lowest frequency of precipitation and has the highest number of days per year." As for the words on the crest, it says the team's name ("Sol de Yuma" is Spanish for "Yuma's Sun") and "Fútbol" underneath it.

The home jersey is a fairly simple purple jersey with white and yellow trim. The clash jersey, however, is more elaborate in that it takes the classic pinstripe pattern and incorporates a desert touch to it, transforming these pinstripes into Saguaros. The kits are supplied by Puma and the sponsor is the beer that gives you COVID-19 Mexican beer company Corona.

The Yuma crest is honestly one of my most favorite digitized crests in the league, as I was able to give an already-strong crest some more depth. I switched the home and clash kits since the yellow kit was a stronger home kit than the purple clash. As the only Arizona team left in the CSL after Kingman's relocation, the team added the Arizona state flag pattern to its clash kits.

The cactus representation on the home jersey is such a good idea. Have you tried what it would look like with the uneven arms that match the logo? Also, the rendering of the sun behind the cactus is perfect. Would not change a single thing about that crest. Great work.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:30 AM, MDTrey4 said:

The cactus representation on the home jersey is such a good idea. Have you tried what it would look like with the uneven arms that match the logo? Also, the rendering of the sun behind the cactus is perfect. Would not change a single thing about that crest. Great work.

I'm glad you like it! :)

I went ahead and implemented your suggestion (as seen below) about the cactus stripe, which actually improved the "slope" nature of the stripes. Thanks for the feedback as always!

Spoiler

50833864916_0608de2718_o.png

---

Redwood Division

AFC Humboldt

Eureka, California

Founded: 1980

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

22973412824_64aff2d6b9_c.jpg

50836497043_6b30d9c8a8_o.png

Originally, I was gonna go simply with a logging theme for this team, as the region's plentiful redwood forests provided (now with much regulation) for a booming lumber industry. But realizing that this part of Northern California was known for its hippie populations, so I decided that this would be a mix between logging and the counterculture. The crest basically is a roundel composed of brown lines, evoking the rings seen in a cross-section of a redwood tree, with a wave pattern (because the Pacific is just right there) in a tie-dye pattern. Instead of favoring any one city (the major cities in the area are Eureka and Arcata), the team through its name chooses to represent all of Humboldt County through its name choice.

The home jersey puts two shades of green into a spiral tie-dye pattern with navy blue trim. The clash kit is inspired by the tree ring motif (inspired by some recent Portland Timbers concept I saw here but forgot where it's at), as well as a more earthen color scheme. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is the Humboldt Creamery.

Making a tie-dye pattern on Illustrator was NOT easy at all, but I managed to achieve a look similar to tie-dye by the Spiral tool and breaking up a ton of lines. Otherwise, there are very minimal changes to our hippie/forest inspired team

Guest darkpiranha
10 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

I

Hide contents

22973412824_64aff2d6b9_c.jpg

50836497043_e15cb826ba_o.png

Love this one, but I don't think the spiral on the logo is quite there yet.   It looks right on the original.  And by looks right, I mean "feels" right.  Try thickening the spiral back up and making the curve of the spiral more visually accurate as opposed to mathematically accurate.  I think its' maybe that the last 'hump' of the spiral is right on top that it draws more attention to itself than if it was more to the side, so maybe let the last leg of the spiral continue a bit more before coming in for a landing. 

11 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Love this one, but I don't think the spiral on the logo is quite there yet.   It looks right on the original.  And by looks right, I mean "feels" right.  Try thickening the spiral back up and making the curve of the spiral more visually accurate as opposed to mathematically accurate.  I think its' maybe that the last 'hump' of the spiral is right on top that it draws more attention to itself than if it was more to the side, so maybe let the last leg of the spiral continue a bit more before coming in for a landing. 

You know, you're actually right about the spiral! I looked at it this morning with a rested mind and without a blue light filter, and the blue stripe definitely stood out a lot more than the rest of the tie-dye pattern. I went ahead and de-emphasized the blue and incorporated it more into a more "organic" spiral, as seen below:

Spoiler

50836497043_6b30d9c8a8_o.png

Thanks for the feedback! :)

---

To close out the South Coast Division, here's Santa Barbara!

---

South Coast Division

Riviera SC

Santa Barbara, California

Founded: 1981

Championships: 0

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

21005244350_ace8e93319_c.jpg

50840123886_2dac44ce1b_o.png

The Santa Barbara area is known as the "American Riviera", so I decided to name their soccer team after that nickname. The name of the city is displayed at the top of the crest. The rest of the crest derives from the really cool flag of Santa Barbara that I never knew existed. The three-window castle on the crest (and on the city flag) is a symbol for Saint Barbara. The red, white, and yellow come from the city flag, while the mauve and sand comes from the colors of Mission Santa Barbara (more on that in a bit).

The home kit is a predominantly-yellow jersey with red horizontal stripes. The clash kit is an homage to Mission Santa Barbara, with the mauve as a nod to the Mission's roofs and the sand, along with being a reference to the area's beaches, is an exterior color for the Mission. The kits are supplied by Puma and the sponsor is Citrix Online, a software company based in Santa Barbara.

After the 2015 season, Riviera modernized its crest into this cleaner design with fewer colors and a serif font. With the redesigned crest is a revamped golden home kit with white hoops instead of the thin red hoops from before. The mauve, Mission Santa Barbara-inspired design has a new design with thin pink stripes inspired by the Mission's entrance columns. The new sponsor is The Habit Burger Grill, a rapidly-expanding burger chain that started out in Santa Barbara (I personally think that their food is really good!)

To finish off the Redwood Division, here's our northernmost team that's also our only remaining Oregon team:

Redwood Division

Rogue Valley Union

Medford, Oregon

Founded: 1993

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

23636559550_4a000fa2b7_c.jpg

50845777213_a81ef4c30c_o.png

Southern Oregon's first only team in this league represents the tri-city area known as the Rogue Valley, an area whose major three cities are Grants Pass, Medford, and Ashland. Three is a major motif in this team's identity; the three animals featured in the main shield represent the four countries that were involved in this area, mostly because of the fur trade: the eagle at the top represents both Russia and the United States, the lion represents the British, and the fleur-de-lis represents the French. The addition of "Union" to the team's name (and also the shape of the shield itself) is a nod to the Oregon state seal and flag, which has the state's motto of "The Union". Two beavers (the Oregon state animal, and the heart of the historic fur trade) adorn either side of "Union". Two different fonts are in this crest: I wanted a more rugged font for "Rogue Valley", while "Union" is in a more traditional, serif font as a nod to the famous Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland.

The home kit is a simple green-on-white jersey with the "Y" pattern from the crest. The clash jersey is a black jersey with a green/white argyle pattern. The kits are supplied by Nike (they're based in Oregon), and the sponsor is Lithia Motors, a national car dealership company based out of Medford.

Rogue Valley remains relatively the same in the 2019 season, but I did make a few minor tweaks to the crest. I removed the beavers to de-clutter the crest a bit, and the lion now faces the opposite direction for a better bit. I also changed the sponsor to Dutch Bros. Coffee, a popular drive-thru coffee shop that's headquartered in Grants Pass.

It has been some time since I have been able to appreciate this, but I am stopping by to make sure I update my running list of jerseys!

Logos I really like that would find their way in my closet whether it be on a shirt or hat:

Modesto Athletics: Just love the shape of the "M". Also, really like the double orange. It is very unique and I am a bit disappointed it didn't make an appearance on the kits.

Atletico San Jose: It is my home squad, I have to support them. I like the simple logo, and I think using our flag's colors was smart. The font used for "ASJ" is eye catching.

Solvang fB: I just love the simple style shown here. Again, we see the trend of me being all in with the double color.

SC Golden Gate: This is my favorite team in the series, and when I say this I mean by a long shot. Shoot that International Orange straight into my veins, I can't get enough of it. The way that the lighter orange pops off the other is gorgeous, and I think the powder blue is a nice addition that can be used in many ways for clash kits in the future.

Olympic Los Angeles: Hate that I like an LA team so much, but the name is perfect and I think the logo is excellent.

Coronado International: Just a gorgeous crest. It is as simple as that.

Sol De Yuma: The colors are funky like the city they play in, and with a look so nice I think I could get behind the team playing out of my current state.

And here are the newer jerseys that would definitely drain my wallet:

Russian River SC Clash: It feels a bit off when considering the team's colors, but it is inspired. I really like the use of the two greens, they feel balanced.

Atletico San Jose Home/Clash: Although the home feels close to the LA Galaxy in real life, it is a classy look overall. I think the home fits the vibe that you hit with the crest, and the clash gives the cutting edge feel of the valley without going too far away from the team's tradition.

Deportivo El Centro Clash: Idk, something about this jersey is just funky in a good way. I usually hate when gold and white touch, but this is doing it for me.

Solvang fB Home: It is a classy kit, and I adore the cross look.

SC Golden Gate Home: Again, the way the orange pops is gorgeous. I'd probably grab anything this team put out with the two colors together.

Sporting San Francisco Clash: That orange is so vibrant/aggressive, and I love it. That striping gives a feeling of movement with speed, making me think you nailed what you were going for.

Olympic Los Angeles Clash: This is too good not to have in a collection. The colors pop and I really like the inspiration.

Sol De Yuma Home/Clash: Another duo that makes the cut. The Home is simple, but what you did with the pinstripes is fascinating. The cactus look of them is a bit genius and I have to applaud you there. As for the clash, it should be known Arizonians eat up anything with the flag on it, so that is why I am eating this jersey up.

I tried to raise the standards to cut down my list, but wow do these looks impress. That is all I got for now. Keep it up, you're doing a fantastic job!

I haven't commented on this thread yet, but I've been following since the beginning and am a huge fan of how these teams look

The thing that made me finally comment though is that clash kit for Rogue Valley. The black and green argyle is incredible, honestly one of my favorite soccer kits I've seen on the boards

On 1/17/2021 at 6:26 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

It has been some time since I have been able to appreciate this, but I am stopping by to make sure I update my running list of jerseys!

Logos I really like that would find their way in my closet whether it be on a shirt or hat:

Modesto Athletics: Just love the shape of the "M". Also, really like the double orange. It is very unique and I am a bit disappointed it didn't make an appearance on the kits.

Atletico San Jose: It is my home squad, I have to support them. I like the simple logo, and I think using our flag's colors was smart. The font used for "ASJ" is eye catching.

Solvang fB: I just love the simple style shown here. Again, we see the trend of me being all in with the double color.

SC Golden Gate: This is my favorite team in the series, and when I say this I mean by a long shot. Shoot that International Orange straight into my veins, I can't get enough of it. The way that the lighter orange pops off the other is gorgeous, and I think the powder blue is a nice addition that can be used in many ways for clash kits in the future.

Olympic Los Angeles: Hate that I like an LA team so much, but the name is perfect and I think the logo is excellent.

Coronado International: Just a gorgeous crest. It is as simple as that.

Sol De Yuma: The colors are funky like the city they play in, and with a look so nice I think I could get behind the team playing out of my current state.

And here are the newer jerseys that would definitely drain my wallet:

Russian River SC Clash: It feels a bit off when considering the team's colors, but it is inspired. I really like the use of the two greens, they feel balanced.

Atletico San Jose Home/Clash: Although the home feels close to the LA Galaxy in real life, it is a classy look overall. I think the home fits the vibe that you hit with the crest, and the clash gives the cutting edge feel of the valley without going too far away from the team's tradition.

Deportivo El Centro Clash: Idk, something about this jersey is just funky in a good way. I usually hate when gold and white touch, but this is doing it for me.

Solvang fB Home: It is a classy kit, and I adore the cross look.

SC Golden Gate Home: Again, the way the orange pops is gorgeous. I'd probably grab anything this team put out with the two colors together.

Sporting San Francisco Clash: That orange is so vibrant/aggressive, and I love it. That striping gives a feeling of movement with speed, making me think you nailed what you were going for.

Olympic Los Angeles Clash: This is too good not to have in a collection. The colors pop and I really like the inspiration.

Sol De Yuma Home/Clash: Another duo that makes the cut. The Home is simple, but what you did with the pinstripes is fascinating. The cactus look of them is a bit genius and I have to applaud you there. As for the clash, it should be known Arizonians eat up anything with the flag on it, so that is why I am eating this jersey up.

I tried to raise the standards to cut down my list, but wow do these looks impress. That is all I got for now. Keep it up, you're doing a fantastic job!

Thanks for spending your fictional money on so many jerseys! 😂

A double-orange kit would've been a bit of a difficult clash with the iconic orange/brown split Modesto home kits, but maybe those will trickle in a few more seasons with the new logo!

It's really fun experimenting with different combinations of a team's colors with these kits, and I'm glad that a lot of them come off as really strong looks for the teams! Working on a digital platform now also allows me to be even more outlandish with these designs (one of the reasons why I really enjoy making soccer concepts even though I don't really follow the sport IRL), and the clash kits let me go even crazier with these. Thanks again for the awesome comments! :)

On 1/17/2021 at 9:22 PM, Section30 said:

I haven't commented on this thread yet, but I've been following since the beginning and am a huge fan of how these teams look

The thing that made me finally comment though is that clash kit for Rogue Valley. The black and green argyle is incredible, honestly one of my favorite soccer kits I've seen on the boards

Thanks for following along, and I'm glad that you really like that Rogue Valley clash! :)

---

To close off the Mojave Division, we have the final SoCal team in the league!

Mojave Division

Coachella Valley United

Palm Springs, California

Founded: 1988

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

20396173432_ebeb0ec2dc_c.jpg

50851607532_f6114f7f2c_o.png

As the name implies, Coachella Valley United represents all the cities along the valley, which includes, among other cities, Indio (home of the Coachella music festival) and resort cities such as Palm Springs and Indian Wells (which hosts tennis' BNP Paribas Open). The crest itself has many visual representations of the valley. First and foremost is a date palm/windmill hybrid, which represents both the valley's date fruit industry and the large wind farm seen entering the valley from the west along Interstate 10. Behind it is a sun on a turquoise sky, representing the area's hot desert climate. I myself have seen similarities between this and the crest of Leicester City in England (I actually thought that that place's pronunciation was "Ley-chester" rather than its actual pronunciation of "Lester").

The home kit is nicknamed the "palm tree" jersey, with two shades of yellow with light green trim. The clash kit uses gray streaks that represent wind as a nod to the San Gorgonio Pass, where the wind farm is located, being one of the windiest places in California. The kits are supplied by Puma and the sponsor is the Spotlight 29 Casino in Indio, one of many Native American casinos that dot the Coachella Valley along Interstate 10.

I vacationed in Palm Springs in January last year, and my old Coachella Valley United concept did not do it justice at all. I decided to modernize the team's look and distill the old clunky crest into fewer simple elements so that we represent windmills, sunshine (without looking like an Orange County clone), and Palm Springs' famous mid-century modern architecture. The crest is stylized like the breeze blocks that are seen in front of Palm Springs houses, and those are also sublimated onto the yellow hooped home kit. As requested by CaliforniaGlowin, the clash kit changes annually to coincide with that year's Coachella festival poster: considering that this is the 2019-20 season, we are basing this kit off of the 2019 Coachella poster. I have also changed the sponsorship to the Agua Caliente Casinos, which I noticed last year was the most dominant casino in the Coachella Valley.

Five more teams left!

That Coachella Valley crest is so simple and works so well. Using the Coachella posters as the clash is a great idea too. One way to bring in that mid-century architecture could be a new way to use the stripes on the home kit. Otherwise, a great concept. Sad to see this series nearing its end.

22 hours ago, MDTrey4 said:

That Coachella Valley crest is so simple and works so well. Using the Coachella posters as the clash is a great idea too. One way to bring in that mid-century architecture could be a new way to use the stripes on the home kit. Otherwise, a great concept. Sad to see this series nearing its end.

Glad you like Coachella Valley! In retrospect, you're actually right about redoing the hoops on the home kit, and I think I may have an idea for that! I'll look into that for a future revision 👌

Although the CSL is coming to a close, I've still got some more California stuff coming up, so stay tuned! :)

---

Central Division

Merced County Eleven

Los Banos, California

Founded: 2018

*Replaces Placerville 1849 in the Gold Country Division

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

21907065900_57621199f6_c.jpg

50854128608_60c6057779_o.png

Placerville's team struggled to stay afloat in the CSL in the mid 2010s, resulting in its contraction from the league in 2017. To fill in that gap, a new Central Valley team sprung up to represent Merced County, located between Modesto and Fresno.

According to Wikipedia, Merced County grows 90% of California's sweet potato crop, so this team has a pale red/cream color scheme inspired by sweet potatoes. The crest consists of a simple "MC" monogram with an 11 sublimated into it to represent the eleven players on the field at a time.

The home kit is a simple pale red kit with two cream-colored stripes, and the clash kit is an homage to the large Portuguese community across the Central Valley. The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is Foster Farms, whose headquarters and main chicken farm is in northern Merced County.

How dare you take the potential “Inter Los Banos” name away from that city. Imagine the merchandise sales from that one. The shirts would say “The Restroom International” or ever the team name sounding close enough to an individual demanding someone to enter the bathroom.....

Merced County is a beautiful looking team, and I’ll forgive you if you give me their home jersey for free. I’m adding up so much fake debt.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:16 AM, rorinator said:

I love the Coachella Valley kit! The incorporation of the recognizable windmills out here works great for a crest and the colors represent the desert well, this is awesome!

I'm glad a Palm Springs local approves of it! Enjoy your team~ :)

23 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

How dare you take the potential “Inter Los Banos” name away from that city. Imagine the merchandise sales from that one. The shirts would say “The Restroom International” or ever the team name sounding close enough to an individual demanding someone to enter the bathroom.....

Merced County is a beautiful looking team, and I’ll forgive you if you give me their home jersey for free. I’m adding up so much fake debt.

Glad you like it! Trust me, you just gave the rival Fresno fanbase some merchandising ideas 😂

20 hours ago, Arch2362 said:

This thread is awesome!! Literally my only complaint is that the surfboard on the Oceanside crest looks like a football

Thank you very much! 

You do have a valid point there about Oceanside, though. I think my original rationale for that crest five years ago was to combine surfboard imagery with Italian-style oval crests in a way that provides balance to the design

---

To close out the Gold County Division, here's the last of the six teams located outside of the California state line:

Gold Country Division

Battle Born SC

Carson City, Nevada

Founded: 1991

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

19836218596_027c9cedc6_c.jpg

50860002533_aa371c5910_o.png

While there are three Nevada teams in the CSL, Battle Born (Nevada is the "Battle Born State" due to its statehood during the Civil War) sticks out because its identity is inspired by that of the State of Nevada, as Carson City is its capital. The crest shape and the "banner" at the bottom are inspired by elements of the historic variants of the Nevada flag, with the bighorn sheep, the state animal, taken from 1984-2001 Nevada license plates. The colors are navy blue, seen on the flag, and fifty two shades of gray, representing the "Silver State", another one of Nevada's state nicknames.

The home kit is a fairly modern design, with an angled shape representing Nevada's border with California, light gray stripes going across horizontally, and the crest over where Carson City would be in a map of Nevada. The clash kit is a much simpler white jersey with a bighorn's horn across the center. The kits are supplied by Under Armour and the sponsor is the Nevada Commission on Tourism.

Battle Born has received quite a few tweaks in its digitized form for the 2019 season! The shade of blue has been lightened up to be an exact match of the blue on the Nevada flag, making it a challenge to distinguish this team from the light blue of Reno-Tahoe to the north. The home kit retains the predominantly-gray shirt with a blue angle representing Nevada's border with California, but now has a two-tone diamond pattern. The color gold (particularly the shade from the atrocious 1905-1915 Nevada state flag) has been added to further distinguish this team from Reno-Tahoe, and the previously-white bighorn clash kit is now a gold/blue kit. The new sponsor is the Mt. Rose Ski Resort, which if I remember correctly is one of the only family-owned ski resorts around Lake Tahoe.

Three more teams left! I think I may also do some edits to some teams' kits before Team No. 49, so stay tuned!

As I previously mentioned, I made some edits to a few teams! Most of them are relatively minor, but there are a few revised clash kits!

• Capital City SC: To distinguish itself from the Mt. Diablo Wanderers clash kit, I decided to change the gradient on the Sacramento clash into a more solid gradient with the red lines getting thicker as you go down the jersey. I also added a white collar to the home kit
Spoiler

50635667193_7a39288513_o.png

Spoiler

50746131337_dd1673cb97_o.png

• Sporting San Francisco: I realized that I forgot to change the color of the shorts on the orange clash kit, so I changed it from orange to black for a more balanced design
Spoiler

50763841691_8a123a6a2b_o.png

• Olympic Los Angeles: I added a white collar to the black clash kit
Spoiler

50778073927_d8bb50997e_o.png

As far as other edits are concerned, I thought about having a chevron-style striping pattern for Coachella Valley (to reference the unique roofs of Palm Springs houses), but that would've been too complicated regarding the breeze block motif that I wanted to keep

Santa Rosa is up next!

Bay Area Division

Ursa Sonoma

Santa Rosa, California

Founded: 1983

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

22141276854_0f02f1559c_c.jpg

50864264268_68616b9360_o.png

Sonoma (the city) is notable in California history because there held in 1846 the Bear Flag Revolt, which led to the short-lived California Republic. The rebels here were known as "Los Osos" ("the bears"), hence the "Ursa" (Latin for "bear") part of the team name. As for the other part of the name, it is interpreted as representing all of Sonoma County, as the team plays in more-populated Santa Rosa and not the City of Sonoma itself. Santa Rosa is represented on the crest through the architectural motifs of the city's Empire Building forming the top half of the roundel. As for the bottom half, there is a scroll with bears on either end, as well as grapes below it, as Sonoma County forms the western half of the California Wine Country (Napa County is the adjacent county to the east of Sonoma County). A "US" monogram is at the center of the crest. The colors are inspired by the first California state flag, as flown in the Bear Flag Revolt.

The home kit utilizes the curvature of the Empire Building on a red/tan jersey. The clash kit is a simpler brown jersey with tan trim. The kits are supplied by Nike and the sponsor is the Korbel winery.

Ursa Sonoma is one of my more favorite teams in this league, with much inspiration to the fictional California Athletic FC by raysox and partly to the real-life Sacramento Republic FC.

Ursa Sonoma has remained relatively the same for the most part, aside from a brighter shade of red and slightly-tweaked sides of the home kit. There is a completely new clash kit, however, and it's a Charlie Brown-inspired clash kit because Charles Schultz (the creator of Peanuts) hails from Santa Rosa

Up next, Santa Cruz!

On 1/21/2021 at 1:13 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

I'm glad a Palm Springs local approves of it! Enjoy your team~ :)

Glad you like it! Trust me, you just gave the rival Fresno fanbase some merchandising ideas 😂

Thank you very much! 

You do have a valid point there about Oceanside, though. I think my original rationale for that crest five years ago was to combine surfboard imagery with Italian-style oval crests in a way that provides balance to the design

---

To close out the Gold County Division, here's the last of the six teams located outside of the California state line:

Gold Country Division

Battle Born SC

Carson City, Nevada

Founded: 1991

ORIGINAL POST:

Reveal hidden contents

19836218596_027c9cedc6_c.jpg

50860002533_aa371c5910_o.png

Battle Born has received quite a few tweaks in its digitized form for the 2019 season! The shade of blue has been lightened up to be an exact match of the blue on the Nevada flag, making it a challenge to distinguish this team from the light blue of Reno-Tahoe to the north. The home kit retains the predominantly-gray shirt with a blue angle representing Nevada's border with California, but now has a two-tone diamond pattern. The color gold (particularly the shade from the atrocious 1905-1915 Nevada state flag) has been added to further distinguish this team from Reno-Tahoe, and the previously-white bighorn clash kit is now a gold/blue kit. The new sponsor is the Mt. Rose Ski Resort, which if I remember correctly is one of the only family-owned ski resorts around Lake Tahoe.

Three more teams left! I think I may also do some edits to some teams' kits before Team No. 49, so stay tuned!

Funny that in a team that is “Nevada”, the vast majority of the home jersey is actually California. Not a knock, more an interesting irony befitting the two states’ relationship, perhaps? Or, maybe an homage to the CSL itself? ;) great work as always!!

19 hours ago, woody86 said:

Funny that in a team that is “Nevada”, the vast majority of the home jersey is actually California. Not a knock, more an interesting irony befitting the two states’ relationship, perhaps? Or, maybe an homage to the CSL itself? ;) great work as always!!

You know what, I've had this design for 5 and a half years now and I actually never realized that! I'm sure the Battle Born marketing team has some nonsensical brandspeak to justify that design decision (something about how the two states can coexist, but keeping Nevada at heart or something like that) 😂

Glad you like it, though! :)

---

To close out the Central Division, here's a team for a city so close to mine, yet feels like an entirely different country for me

Central Division

Surf City SC

Santa Cruz, California

Founded: 2004

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

19736292405_13995ea02c_c.jpg

50868273931_39d11b42eb_o.png

I just got back from a 3-day yearbook seminar at UC Santa Cruz, so I figured that it's only appropriate that my next team would be the Santa Cruz team. First of all, Santa Cruz, and not Huntington Beach in SoCal, will always be Surf City USA. In the soccer team's case, "SC" has triple meaning: Santa Cruz, Surf City, and Soccer Club. I decided to combine them into one wordmark (the "Santa Cruz" and "Surf City" are interchangeable). The orange represents the "warm California sun" (quoting from the commercials for the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk), the blue represents the ocean, and the black represents the "hip" vibe of this college town on the beach; the white breaks up the colors and the black. There is a wave pattern that circles the "SC" on the crest.

The home clash kit very simply incorporates all of the team's colors into a predominantly-black jersey with white shorts. The clash home kit is the "Surf City" kit, with black waves on a light blue jersey, so to represent the ocean. The kits are by Nike and the sponsor is the surfing merchandise company O'Neill, based in Santa Cruz.

I really dislike the Hobo/Hobeaux series of fonts because it's pretty overused and I personally think it's really tacky. However, the bold version of that font was actually very appropriate to use on this rather-unconventional crest for a city with a well-established counterculture. With that mini-rant out of the way, the Surf City kits of 2015 remain relatively intact, though the light blue "Surf City" kit now being the home kit and the black one as the clash. The new sponsor is the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and thus I added stripes to the clash kit that reference the towers of the Boardwalk's Sky Glider.

Last but not least, we have Oakland coming up to close out the CSL!

Archived