Revisiting the California Soccer League! (SERIES FINALE)

TheGiantsFan

On 3/20/2021 at 8:01 AM, QCS said:

Big fan of CNCF! Those black/blue checkers are exactly what I hope to see from Charlotte FC. The chevron pattern is also really nice, it's a shame the adidas stuff kinda gets in the way of the design.

I knew you'd like it! :) Hopefully Charlotte FC does indeed play upon the Carolinas' racing heritage, so we shall see!

---

Basin Division

Sporting 626

Arcadia, California

Founded: 2008

Affiliated with: Roses AFC

51002701340_df19c5dfbb_o.png

The San Gabriel Valley (known colloquially as "The SGV" or "The 626", referring to the valley's predominant area code) is home to a large and very prominent Asian-American population. Driving around the SGV, you'll see shopping centers and businesses catered to immigrants from various parts of Asia (a huge chunk being Chinese and Taiwanese immigrants). Sporting 626's logo takes a typical banner design and incorporates a Chinese dragon motif. The colors are taken directly from my San Gabriel Valley Snapchat Geofilter, with red being the primary color as it symbolizes good fortune in Chinese culture.

The red home kit is directly inspired by the colors and patterns seen during Chinese dragon dances. The clash kit is a bubble tea-inspired design, as boba shops (America's first boba shops were introduced in the SGV by Taiwanese immigrants) are an integral part of Asian-American youth culture. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is the 626 Night Market, a very popular Asian street food market in Arcadia.

---

In these days of hate crimes towards Asian-Americans, the Sporting 626 identity was designed to be respectful towards and appreciative of the Asian-American community in the area and in no way is intended to be offensive. As a Filipino myself, it shouldn't be difficult to be kind towards people of other ethnicities and backgrounds, and I encourage you all to learn more about Asian-American cultures and history, and to appreciate the variety of cultures and people with respect.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/26/2021 at 10:06 AM, MDTrey4 said:

Love the way you incorporated the dragon motif into the banner and the Home. Only change I'd make would be to flip the shorts from Home to Clash. An all-red jersey and a white-over-blue would look great.

You got it! Thanks for the feedback as always! :)

Spoiler

51002701340_df19c5dfbb_o.png

On 3/26/2021 at 3:54 PM, Silence of the Rams said:

If that's team 626. Where is Lilo. Lol, just kidding. The dragon one looks awesome

I'm glad you like it! 👌

---

Capital Division

Vintage Napa Valley

Napa, CA

Founded: 1987

51013005105_944ffe9208_o.png

Napa Valley is world-renowned for its premium wines, so I wanted to create an identity that aligned with that high-class culture. The "NV" monogram logo is in a serif font to match the classy aesthetic of wine labels, and the purple/green color is inspired by grapevines. The "Vintage" part of the team's name refers to the winemaking process known as vintage.

The home kit is a simple cream/purple kit with a cork pattern that references wine stoppers. The clash kit evokes a hilly vineyard scene in a way that is inspired by the clash kits of the real-life Napa Valley 1839 FC identity (which is one gorgeous look). The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is the Beringer Vineyards, the oldest continuously-operating winery in Napa Valley.

Oh. My. Gosh. 

I don’t even know what to say.

All of your previous concept series (Los Altos, the CSL, all of that) were some of my favorite things I’d seen on these boards ever. I was even sad I wasn’t around when you were making them. I haven’t been very active on this boards in almost 2 years, but several times I have came back to reread specifically your concepts, but also hoping that one day you would be back to make more. I have also gotten very into soccer in the past year or two, so I understand the design in kits better now. 

Today I came back to view your old concepts again, because I just enjoy them. And what do I see, but a new thread with updated concepts, and what a sight to see. I have just read through all of it and it’s all just fantastic. I really enjoyed the hand drawn versions, partly because I have only done hand drawn stuff before, and partly because I know the limitations in hand drawn stuff. But there’s also something about professional, computer designed and digitized work that is just so much cleaner and pleasing to the eye. 

I really enjoy the CSL 2 ones, I think with the smaller towns you can get a bit more wild with the designs. Temecula, Arrowhead, Delta Union, and most of all, East Los are my favorites- the color schemes there really work well. 

I’ll be active now to check on this series, keep it up! Excited to see what you have in store for the rest of the league!

On 3/29/2021 at 1:24 PM, MDTrey4 said:

Whenever I think "he can't possibly keep coming up with good designs for this", you knock it out of the park again. The cork pattern, the vineyard fields on the clash, the serif font is all

compete bon appetit GIF

Thank you very much! :)

It's always super fun researching for these teams so that I can get the identities juuuust right for their respective locations

2 hours ago, JG36 said:

Oh. My. Gosh. 

I don’t even know what to say.

All of your previous concept series (Los Altos, the CSL, all of that) were some of my favorite things I’d seen on these boards ever. I was even sad I wasn’t around when you were making them. I haven’t been very active on this boards in almost 2 years, but several times I have came back to reread specifically your concepts, but also hoping that one day you would be back to make more. I have also gotten very into soccer in the past year or two, so I understand the design in kits better now. 

Today I came back to view your old concepts again, because I just enjoy them. And what do I see, but a new thread with updated concepts, and what a sight to see. I have just read through all of it and it’s all just fantastic. I really enjoyed the hand drawn versions, partly because I have only done hand drawn stuff before, and partly because I know the limitations in hand drawn stuff. But there’s also something about professional, computer designed and digitized work that is just so much cleaner and pleasing to the eye. 

I really enjoy the CSL 2 ones, I think with the smaller towns you can get a bit more wild with the designs. Temecula, Arrowhead, Delta Union, and most of all, East Los are my favorites- the color schemes there really work well. 

I’ll be active now to check on this series, keep it up! Excited to see what you have in store for the rest of the league!

Thank you so much for the kind words!

Those hand-drawn concepts are 5+ years old, and I've learned so much as a designer (both analog and digital) since then. It's really nice to revisit my old teams with the new skills and designs I've learned, and it's nice to be making new teams for CSL2 once again.

I'm glad you're really enjoying the series so far, and I hope these designs continue to inspire you! :)

(I just noticed that you've done hand-drawn concept series using my old templates, and you've got some pretty solid designs!)

---

Southwest Division

SC Vandenberg

Lompoc, CA

Founded: 1996

Affiliated with: Solvang fB

51001891154_d976f39367_o.png

In 1996, Solvang fB celebrated its tenth anniversary by creating an affiliate team in the town of Lompoc, ~20 miles to the west of Solvang. The team is named after the Vandenberg AFB (which will be turned into a US Space Force Base this year!), which heavily fuels Lompoc's economy. The crest is styled after USAF rank insignia and features a "V" monogram that shoots up into the sky (inspired by this Adelaide United concept by @mcrosby) like the many rockets launched at Vandenberg. An LA Galaxy-style star further represents Vandenberg's role in American space launches, and I thought that a gray/light blue color scheme similar to Minnesota United FC could easily relate to space exploration.

The gray home kit features a "rocket launch" pattern against a starry backdrop. The clash kit references Lompoc's nickname as the "City of Arts and Flowers" with a patriotic flower field that uses the stars from the crest; the colors are taken directly from the 30th Space Wing based out of Vandenberg AFB. The kits are supplied by Nike and the sponsor is SpaceX, which uses Vandenberg as one of its launch facilities.

On 3/31/2021 at 11:51 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Cream and neon green? Oh yeah!

Love the space theme of the last one.

Thank you, and I'm glad you liked Napa's colors! I'm quite a sucker for underrated color schemes like that one 😂

There aren't too many space-y places in California (all I can think of are NASA-affiliated labs in Palo Alto and Pasadena, but those places already have teams), so I'm glad that I finally got to have a space-themed team in Lompoc!

---

Western Division

Mission Carmel SC

Carmel-By-The-Sea, California

Founded: 1987

Affiliated with: AC Monterey

51090191726_e3ffec2d9b_o.png

Monterey County's third team in the CSL ecosystem represents the scenic areas in and around Carmel! This team is named after the Mission San Carlos Borromeo, the second of the twenty-one Spanish missions in California (which have a rather controversial history these days); I borrowed this name from the several mission-themed teams from @rsaline's excellent CALPROSOL series. The crest features the unique façade window of the mission and is adapted directly from my 2016 Snapchat Geofilter for Carmel.

The cream/brown home kit features an arched stripe pattern that references the iconic Bixby Bridge on the Big Sur coast. The Monterey Peninsula is a world-renowned golf destination, so the clash kit features the lawn-mower patterns that you would see on a fairway. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Earthbound Farm, which had its start in Carmel Valley.

(Shoutout to @woody86 for all the design and name suggestions for Carmel!)

The plaid/grass pattern is really nice! I think the style of collar works really well with the colors used here, and I think it’s also fitting with the golf inspired kit to use it, very nice touch. 

On 4/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, JG36 said:

The plaid/grass pattern is really nice! I think the style of collar works really well with the colors used here, and I think it’s also fitting with the golf inspired kit to use it, very nice touch. 

Thank you very much! 

Carmel has quite an older, higher-class demographic that would really appreciate a classic collared look, and it's proper golf dress as well!

---

Northwest Division

Tri-Valley Athletic

Dublin, CA

Founded: 2000

51094015145_284035c126_o.png

Dublin is an eastern Bay Area suburb with an obvious Irish etymology, so it was a no-brainer that I give them an Irish-inspired look. A three-leaf clover (stylized like the Dublin city seal) represents the three valleys of the Tri-Valley area, in which Dublin is a part of; I was originally gonna put the team acronym inside the clover, but I'm sure the 4-H people wouldn't be too happy about that.

The hooped home kit is essentially the Celtic home kit with all-green sleeves. The black clash kits feature three Celtic knots arranged to represent the two freeways (Interstates 580 and 680) that go through Dublin and the Tri-Valley. The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and the sponsor is Ross Stores (headquartered in Dublin).

Southern Division

La Jolla SC

San Diego, California

Founded: 2007

51102300809_cc2262a250_o.png

La Jolla is a San Diego neighborhood known for its coastal scenery and marine wildlife (as the world-renowned Scripps Institution of Oceanography is found here), so the La Jolla team crest features two California sea lions*. The center of the crest features an "LJ" monogram, and the banner below it has two diamonds that reference La Jolla's "Jewel City" nickname. The teal is a marine-inspired color, and the shades of brown are taken from the area's rocky shores and sea lions.

*These are NOT to be confused with seals, who do not have prominent ear lobes and cannot stand up like the sea lions in the crest.

The home kit is an ocean gradient inspired by waves crashing onto the beach. The "Jewel City" clash kit uses the colors of UC San Diego (located in La Jolla), and the sublimated pattern turns UCSD's Geisel Library into a diamond. The kits are supplied by Puma, and the Birch Aquarium sponsorship adds onto the marine theme of the team.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:13 AM, PascalHugo said:

Beautiful logo for La Jolla! I really like it! Keep going my friend!

I'm glad you liked La Jolla, my friend! There's slightly more than half of the CSL2 teams left, so there are still a lot to go! :)

On 4/8/2021 at 11:24 AM, Brian in Boston said:

Brilliant. The crest alone is a work of art. The uniforms - I'm particularly taken by the home kit - are also outstanding.

Another job well done!

Thank you very much! I've been sitting on a wave pattern for some time now, and I finally found the perfect team for it!

On 4/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, JG36 said:

Lots of Newcastle vibes with the crest. And the wave gradient is stunning, really love teal uniforms 

I'm glad you liked the wave jersey! As for the crest, I always want to give my leagues a visual variety; English-style crests with animals can be quite a challenge for me, but it's a fun challenge!

---

Staying in the Southern Division, here is the next team just up the coast from La Jolla!

Southern Division

Laguna Sporting Club

Dana Point, California

Founded: 1995

51105741834_bdd5656320_o.png

Southern Orange County consists of many wealthy coastal communities, so I decided that their team would be a soccer extension of a Dana Point yacht club, complete with an identity fit for a high-class yacht club*. I ended up with a La Coruña-style crest that features a yacht club burgee; the burgee features four chevrons that represent the four coastal communities of southern OC (Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, and San Clemente).

Navy blue came up a lot when I Googled "yacht club uniforms", so the home kit is a very simple navy blue top with red and white trim. The white clash kit is more explorative, decorated with a chevron inspired by the crest burgee. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is the Pacific Life insurance company.

*I felt so out of touch with this team's target demographic while I was researching this team, as I know nothing about fancy yacht clubs and what people would wear to these places 😭

I probably should have commented earlier, but Mammtoh Ski Assoc. is amazing! Merch and jerseys would definitely be something that would constantly be seen around the area, like Santa Cruz Skateboards apparel in...Santa Cruz.

Also, as an Orange Countian, Irvine is a very spot-on design, and Laguna really fits the general tone of our more affluent communities. If you need any design input for Santa Ana, it is a very Spanish and Hispanic-influenced area, and there are landmarks like John Wayne Airport and the Discovery Cube to work off of.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope that helps!

spacer.png

RxrX5RD.png

On 4/9/2021 at 7:50 PM, soflo_sports said:

I think you really nailed the yacht club look! The white strip especially reminds me of something I'd see a bus boy wearing at one of those places. The crest as well really echoes the nautical theme

I'm glad that I got the look just right, and I appreciate the feedback! :)

On 4/10/2021 at 2:33 PM, ItsSlothy said:

I probably should have commented earlier, but Mammtoh Ski Assoc. is amazing! Merch and jerseys would definitely be something that would constantly be seen around the area, like Santa Cruz Skateboards apparel in...Santa Cruz.

Also, as an Orange Countian, Irvine is a very spot-on design, and Laguna really fits the general tone of our more affluent communities. If you need any design input for Santa Ana, it is a very Spanish and Hispanic-influenced area, and there are landmarks like John Wayne Airport and the Discovery Cube to work off of.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope that helps!

I'm glad you like Mammoth, and I'm sure that definitely would be popular with the younger Mammoth Mountain crowd.

I'm glad that I was able to get the "feel" of the Orange County CSL2 teams just right, and I'll definitely keep your Santa Ana suggestions in mind (I've only been through Santa Ana a few times, and it was only passing through on the I-5). There will also be a Buena Park team as well, so stay tuned for those final two OC teams!

---

Before I go into the next team, I have moved a few teams within the league in order to accommodate some new team opportunities. Here are the changes below:

• San Francisco loses its second CSL2 team, and another Sacramento-area team (I'm planning on having it in Arden-Arcade or Rancho Cordova) will take its place
  • To accommodate the new Sac team, I moved Benicia Arsenal from the Capital Division to the Northwest Division (where the second SF CSL2 team would have been)
  • Placerville 1849 from the original CSL is officially killed off (for financial reasons), so it is replaced by a team in Grass Valley

---

Capital Division

SC Grass Valley

Grass Valley, CA

Founded: 1998

51112935356_f8e5d9ef29_o.png

Last year, I made a Snapchat Geofilter for a friend of mine who's from Grass Valley. It already seemed like a perfect soccer crest, so with very small modifications (adding "SC" where "1893" was) I did just that! Grass Valley is located in northern California's Gold Country, so this team plays into the area's mining history by featuring a pickaxe. The area was settled by many Cornish miners, who are represented with the flag of Cornwall on the bottom.

The home kit is a simple black/white kit that have stripes creating the pickaxe pattern from the crest. The clash kit is inspired by quartz rocks filled with gold, and the front of the kit makes that gold/quartz pattern using a map of the Grass Valley/Nevada City area. The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and the sponsor is the BriarPatch Food Co-Op.

Staying in the Sacramento area, here's the next team!

Capital Division

Folsom Town SC

Folsom, CA

Founded: 1989

51116160523_7f82381be9_o.png

The town of Folsom is home to a prison that was immortalized by "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash, and I figured that this team's identity would be based around that song. The crest features an "Ft" monogram that's stylized like the various arched bridges that cross the American River. The vertical lines on the crest both represent guitar strings and the flow of water from the Folsom Dam (more on both of those later).

The home kit is the "Folsom Prison Blues" kit inspired by this poster design I found on Dribbble; the six vertical stripes represent the strings of Johnny Cash's guitar as well as vertical prison bars. The granite clash kit (named after the neighboring community of Granite Bay) features a sublimated stripe pattern inspired by the spillways of the Folsom Dam. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Intel* (which maintains a huge presence in Folsom despite being headquartered in the Bay Area).

*I'm aware of Intel's recent rebrand, but we will be using the older logo due to this being set in the 2019 season

Archived