MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

52 minutes ago, element7ero said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MerrittPaulson/status/1346180448955731969?s=20

Need to sell 100k kits to allow a 3rd kit. We are among top sellers even as a small market. I think market size should be weighed into equation to allow clubs to do a third kit as we are punching way above our weight and its not apples to apples comparing ATL to PDX

I kind of hate stuff like this... Adidas and the teams make bank on these shirts. Probably like a 300-400% margin at least, plus they get money from the shirt sponsor. Anything they don’t sell STILL gets unloaded at a profit on the clearance rack. 

Never forget Merritt Paulson is the son of GW Bush’s treasury secretary. Not exactly an expert family on economics.

RBNY due for a new "Primary" kit. The twitter account hinting that the new kit will NOT be a inverse "light mode" white version the current black kit. But the social media manager also noted that we already have a "color" kit. Interesting....I am predicting a white kit with a lot of red trim. They seem to be teasing a reveal by posting pictures of flag. I am thinking possibly something with a red/white checkerboard pattern like the flags that are commonly seen in the South Ward. 

spacer.png

Also the Red Bulls trademarked this new logo last year. Maybe it will be used.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

RBNY due for a new "Primary" kit. The twitter account hinting that the new kit will NOT be a inverse "light mode" white version the current black kit. But the social media manager also noted that we already have a "color" kit. Interesting....I am predicting a white kit with a lot of red trim. They seem to be teasing a reveal by posting pictures of flag. I am thinking possibly something with a red/white checkerboard pattern like the flags that are commonly seen in the South Ward. 

spacer.png

Also the Red Bulls trademarked this new logo last year. Maybe it will be used.

spacer.png

FWIW, I think the RBNY’s primary kit should always be white and trimmed out in red. Go crazy on the clash kit. 

Apparently Inter Milan have won some legal manuevering over Inter Miami, and the latter has one more shot at appeal otherwise they won't get a US trademark. Only link I can find is the Sun unfortunately so there's your narrator warning: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13653468/beckhams-inter-miami-name-milan/

We're gonna end up with CF Miami and CF Montreal at the end of this, aren't we. Serves them both right!

I don't understand why the challenge is only happening now. Shouldn't Miami have run into this hurdle when they initially filed for trademarks?

Just now, QCS said:

I don't understand why the challenge is only happening now. Shouldn't Miami have run into this hurdle when they initially filed for trademarks?

They did, the decision is just now coming back. 

44 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They did, the decision is just now coming back. 

I'd say it was pretty stupid of them to go ahead with the brand before the trademark dispute was settled.

My understanding is that trademarks are almost always provisionally issued immediately, and then anyone with an objection can file before the trademark is final.

The process can take years.  Pretty stupid not to go ahead.  

7 minutes ago, QCS said:

I'd say it was pretty stupid of them to go ahead with the brand before the trademark dispute was settled.

If Inter Miami can make their name stand on its own they can fight off other challenges further down the line for Inter Milan and Internazionale of Brazil or any other combination of teams that use Inter or International in their names. Waiting on the final verdict would require them to come up with a generic placeholder name that we all would laugh at until the process gets completed. Who really wants that?

Regardless of whether or not these new products are a hint at Atlanta’s new third kit (I’m skeptical, personally), they do give us a good look at this season’s training and travel gear:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

17 hours ago, BC985 said:

FWIW, I think the RBNY’s primary kit should always be white and trimmed out in red. Go crazy on the clash kit. 

I agree. While I loved the red kit, I wasn't a huge fan of the monochrome red as a whole. Too many teams use that. The Red Bulls wore a strict white/red/white look for over a decade with great success and I would like to see them go back to that. New prediction - the kit will be quarter checkered red/white. Similar to this Salzburg kit but inverse the bottom half of the kit. I would love that as a full time look for New York.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

I agree. While I loved the red kit, I wasn't a huge fan of the monochrome red as a whole. Too many teams use that. The Red Bulls wore a strict white/red/white look for over a decade with great success and I would like to see them go back to that. New prediction - the kit will be quarter checkered red/white. Similar to this Salzburg kit but inverse the bottom half of the kit. I would love that as a full time look for New York.

spacer.png

I think this looks good, but not for RBNY. Make the sleeves navy blue and you’ve got a pretty good FC Dallas primary. 

7 hours ago, Digby said:

Apparently Inter Milan have won some legal manuevering over Inter Miami, and the latter has one more shot at appeal otherwise they won't get a US trademark. Only link I can find is the Sun unfortunately so there's your narrator warning: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13653468/beckhams-inter-miami-name-milan/

We're gonna end up with CF Miami and CF Montreal at the end of this, aren't we. Serves them both right!

6 hours ago, QCS said:

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

My understanding is that trademarks are almost always provisionally issued immediately, and then anyone with an objection can file before the trademark is final.

The process can take years.  Pretty stupid not to go ahead.  

Actually, the thing that is not completely clear from the article is that this is not Inter Milan opposing Inter Miami's trademark. It's actually Inter Miami and MLS opposing at the USPTO Inter Milan's 2014 application to register the word "Inter" in connection with soccer matches and apparel. Because Inter Miami was used later than Inter Milan, the MLS couldn't directly claim likelihood of confusion of comsumers with the Miami mark. Instead, it needed to rely on "legitimate interest" in other prior, non-MLS uses of "Inter" in connection with soccer. The USPTO tribunal ruled that because the MLS doesn't have a legitimate interest in non-MLS uses of "Inter," it couldn't claim a likelihood of confusion. Think of it as the MLS doesn't have standing to raise likelihood of confusion of consumers over the prospective "Inter" (Milan) mark and other "Inter" marks not owned by the MLS.

The MLS's final claim--i.e., that "Inter" in connection with soccer is descriptive and therefore not trademarkable--still remains at issue. This claim may struggle as well--"Inter" in its face doesn't seem to be descriptive of soccer services or apparel. Of course, if MLS fail in their opposition, the practical result will be that Inter Milan will have a registered trademark and would be able to prevent Miami from using Inter. So yeah, CF Miami is a distinct possibility.

For anyone interested, the actual proceeding docs are here: https://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=91247160&pty=OPP&eno=25

Is it just me, or is this year the rumor mill working slower than usual? I've only seen the ATL and LAFC "leaks," and obvs we know about Montreal rebranding but we haven't seen the crest yet. Feels like most years by now there are at least a few more concrete hints to go on from FootyHeadlines and kit twitter. 

Just me?

Looks like Adidas has updated Inter Miami’s shade of pink to a slightly more saturated shade this year. Here’s last season’s training top, which was “Clear Pink”:

spacer.png

And here’s the new training jacket for this season, which is “True Pink”:

spacer.png

It’s still a pale shade, but it’s saturated enough to actually look pink, something that wasn’t always the case with the shade used last season. For reference, “True Pink” is the shade used for the pink kit that Leicester City had last year:

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 1/5/2021 at 12:25 PM, njdevs7 said:

spacer.png

I like the idea of halves, but the angled lines here look lie a mistake.  Totally unmotivated.

^ I assumed that halved RB Salzburg kit is taking its design cues from the lightning motif that Nike's been using everywhere? It does look odd with the logo covering up the jagged part, though. (Otherwise I kinda like a diagonal-ish halves design)