kylonian

MLS Kits 2021

On the Miami color news -- not sure if that shade change, alone, fixes the issues there. It's still too pink to be paired with white; notice how the training gear and the Leicester kit use black as the secondary color and how much better that looks.

If they'd like to retain an all-white home kit, either use black as the trim color or make the pink more saturated, more like this year's Real Madrid kit. It's a stark difference, side-by-side:

ff_4108504-c6912a84acf72a40c700alt1_full.jpg&w=900ff_4072467-47717118ea95b30bd9e2alt1_full.jpg&w=900

That shade of pink could work on the shorts.  Needs to be that saturated.

4 hours ago, Digby said:

^ I assumed that halved RB Salzburg kit is taking its design cues from the lightning motif that Nike's been using everywhere? It does look odd with the logo covering up the jagged part, though. (Otherwise I kinda like a diagonal-ish halves design)

red bull cans maybe?

2 hours ago, RichardWitham said:

red bull cans maybe?

I made custom kits to look like those cans in FIFA the year they rebranded and I still haven’t forgiven myself.

Posted (edited)

Unless its a 2 person in the org secret, normally there's a whole group involved in the design process. Seattle surprisingly isn't getting a 3rd kit this year

Edited by TacoCat83
Added info

This year’s travel hoodie for NYCFC:

spacer.png

In the past NYCFC’s travel and training gear has been somewhat indicative of their new kit for that year, so it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if their new primaries end up having white adidas stripes and accents like their inaugural primaries:

spacer.png

4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

In the past NYCFC’s travel and training gear has been somewhat indicative of their new kit for that year, so it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if their new primaries end up having white adidas stripes and accents like their inaugural primaries:

spacer.png

Damn, shame. I really liked their home kit before the most recent one, the one that had navy stripes and accents. That was a really good look, and it separated them nicely from MC. When it's a subsidiary system, with a parent big club and others, I always like the idea of having each club have a more individual component to separate them from one another. So how all of RB's clubs have different elements to their home strips, even though the umbrella sort of visual identity is very similar, there's an element of uniqueness to all of them.

Still waiting for navy pinstripes on light blue, would be a perfect blend and unique to mls

18 hours ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

Is it possible that NYCFC is switching to this ligature mark as their jersey logo instead of the full roundel? The Timbers made a similar switch after their first three-or-so years in the league. I'd love to see them make that move. 

17 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Is it possible that NYCFC is switching to this ligature mark as their jersey logo instead of the full roundel? The Timbers made a similar switch after their first three-or-so years in the league. I'd love to see them make that move. 

I’d love to see it too, but I really don’t think it’ll happen. They’ve used the monogram on their travel hoodies and anthem jackets for a few years now, so it seems like it’s just their preference for those specific products. I really don’t think it’s indicative of a move towards that as their official primary logo.

18 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I like the idea of using it, if they use on a third shirt but not the primary kits. As it is on that blue hoodie, it would go missing in game action which is something they'd want to avoid. 

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I like the idea of using it, if they use on a third shirt but not the primary kits. As it is on that blue hoodie, it would go missing in game action which is something they'd want to avoid. 

I like that too, letting teams use alternate/minimal logos on thirds. Although it would also be nice even full-time to break out of MLS's roundel fixation. Still think that the proportions of the letters in NYCFC's monogram look all wrong to me, though.

I'd be very down for letting teams use alternate logos on thirds, a CLTFC kit with only the crown or the monogram would be excellent. Seeing that NYCFC mark on its own is really nice, I think it would be a good move for the league.

"Fire announce plans to unveil new logo for 2022 season"

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/1/8/22220022/chicago-fire-announce-plans-to-unveil-new-logo-for-2022-season-joe-mansueto-major-league-soccer

takeaways: claims of fan involvement in the process this time (hope so!), still insisting on a new identity for the future and not an "outright return" to the fire dept. cross look, shirts could revert to red but no promises. Matthew Wolff is the designer which is promising news, he's worked on most of the more successful American soccer brands of recent years.

Wonder if they'll bother replacing even one of the jerseys for the coming year.

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

"Fire announce plans to unveil new logo for 2022 season"

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/1/8/22220022/chicago-fire-announce-plans-to-unveil-new-logo-for-2022-season-joe-mansueto-major-league-soccer

takeaways: claims of fan involvement in the process this time (hope so!), still insisting on a new identity for the future and not an "outright return" to the fire dept. cross look, shirts could revert to red but no promises. Matthew Wolff is the designer which is promising news, he's worked on most of the more successful American soccer brands of recent years.

Wonder if they'll bother replacing even one of the jerseys for the coming year.

MLS Underpants gnomes:

Step 1: "Change logo, add shirt with current logo"

Step 2: 

Step 3: "Profit"!!!

53 minutes ago, Digby said:

I like that too, letting teams use alternate/minimal logos on thirds. Although it would also be nice even full-time to break out of MLS's roundel fixation. Still think that the proportions of the letters in NYCFC's monogram look all wrong to me, though.

I'm a broken record on this point, but I wouldn't limit it to third jerseys. I personally think the roundel logos should only be used as letterhead or official branding, while their core simplified elements are better as jersey crests. 

If Montreal, for example, ends up using that solo fleur de lis as its jersey crest, they will almost assuredly have a more complicated mark as their official logo. I like that approach. 

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm a broken record on this point, but I wouldn't limit it to third jerseys. I personally think the roundel logos should only be used as letterhead or official branding, while their core simplified elements are better as jersey crests. 

If Montreal, for example, ends up using that solo fleur de lis as its jersey crest, they will almost assuredly have a more complicated mark as their official logo. I like that approach. 

I don't think they will as it's similar to Darmstadt's primary logo. With teh issues with Inter Miami and Inter Milan, MLS will want to avoid that. 

03 November 2018, Hessen, Darmstadt: Soccer: 2nd Bundesliga, Darmstadt 98 -  1st FC Magdeburg, 12th matchday, in the Merck Stadium at the Böllenfalltor.  Darmstadts goal scorer Aytac Sulu (l) cheers with his

Darmstadt 20-21 Home & Away Kits Released - Footy Headlines

They use the fluer de lis on their jerseys but it's only part of the official logo.

SV Darmstadt 98 - Wikipedia

Official logo

Montréal new identity will be revealed on Thursday January 14th at 11 am EST

16 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't think they will as it's similar to Darmstadt's primary logo. With teh issues with Inter Miami and Inter Milan, MLS will want to avoid that. 

03 November 2018, Hessen, Darmstadt: Soccer: 2nd Bundesliga, Darmstadt 98 -  1st FC Magdeburg, 12th matchday, in the Merck Stadium at the Böllenfalltor.  Darmstadts goal scorer Aytac Sulu (l) cheers with his

Darmstadt 20-21 Home & Away Kits Released - Footy Headlines

They use the fluer de lis on their jerseys but it's only part of the official logo.

SV Darmstadt 98 - Wikipedia

Official logo

I don't think a Fleur de Lis, which is a historical symbol representing tons of different things, qualifies in the same way as a word like Inter.