Jump to content

MLS Kits 2021


kylonian

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

My primary complaint with Austin FC's change kit is the same as my gripe with the club's overall identity. Namely, that I believe their badge would look better if the FC were rendered in White. I find it jarring that 75% of the club's name is White on the badge, while the 25% represented by the FC is Green... pardon, Verde.     

94jdoeAm.png?1

 

You are... absolutely right.

 

The disparate parts of the name should have the same treatment, to pull it out of the tree.  It's the opposite problem NYCFC has, where its badge only needs a little less white to avoid tying together elements that shouldn't be linked.  

 

UtGo5My.png

 

Both excellent badges, each needing only a quick small-element color change to become sublime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

As for the template, this is what they had to say: “The 2021 secondary jersey will serve as a complement to the record-setting 2021-2022 primary jersey, while being consistent with MLS Clubs who feature a similar adidas EQT design across both the 2020 and 2021 seasons.” 

Record-setting? What's so special about black and green stripes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't know, man. I might be wrong, but those icons just smack of someone not from Austin choosing icons to represent everything he's heard about Austin. They're stereotypes for Hipster America. 


I mean... those stereotypes didn’t come from nowhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Historic Sixth Street Mural - Austin, TX - Gino Barasa Photo | 6th Street  Austin, Texas

Utilizing something from this would make more sense. 

 

Two of the icons in that mural ARE on the shirt! I don't know, I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest Austin culture identifies particularly strongly with some of these things; DC doesn't have that saturation of food truck lots, Boston has tacos but they suck, nobody outside New Orleans has a live-music strip, for better or worse, like Sixth Street. And it's not like the Twin Cities are the only home of loons or Miami is the only place with white egrets. Given all the ways that MLS looks and feels generic, this neck-tape thing doesn't even register, to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Digby said:

 

Two of the icons in that mural ARE on the shirt! I don't know, I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest Austin culture identifies particularly strongly with some of these things; DC doesn't have that saturation of food truck lots, Boston has tacos but they suck, nobody outside New Orleans has a live-music strip, for better or worse, like Sixth Street. And it's not like the Twin Cities are the only home of loons or Miami is the only place with white egrets. Given all the ways that MLS looks and feels generic, this neck-tape thing doesn't even register, to me.

 

I don't think the issue is that the icons don't represent Austin. It's just that they're not particularly clever. It seems like a pretty surface level representation of a region. It would be like giving NYC a slice of pizza, an apple and an outline of the Empire State Building. Just feels tacky.

 

For a city like Austin that embraces cultural quirks and innovation, this just feels corporate and sterile. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random icons aside, this is yet another boring away jersey. Do they just not care? Can anyone afford someone to design this? Alternative kits are a great opportunity to showcase some creativity and no one's taking advantage. It's boring white kit after boring white kit. Not even any colored shorts to have some contrast. This sucks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Digby said:


they gave us one that’s not off the teamwear rack 

 

Adding a couple of details to the collar doesn't make it any less plain-white teamwear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, insert name said:

Random icons aside, this is yet another boring away jersey. Do they just not care? Can anyone afford someone to design this? Alternative kits are a great opportunity to showcase some creativity and no one's taking advantage. It's boring white kit after boring white kit. Not even any colored shorts to have some contrast. This sucks. 


MLS at the very top isn’t taking advantage. So many white kits smells like league mandate to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, -kj said:

 

Adding a couple of details to the collar doesn't make it any less plain-white teamwear.


I am talking literal, straight off the web order form teamwear as we saw Chicago, Cincy and Minnesota trot out in the last few years, not teamwear-as-insult.

 

This is MLSWhite2020.psd, at least, which is a notch above, at least in the Adidas hierarchy.

 

I’m okay with Austin doing the standard white, as long as they roll with their green as they appear to be doing; it’s not exciting but it looks like it belongs to the team, at least, and presumably helps them to establish their brand in their market and their league.

 

 

11 minutes ago, BC985 said:


MLS at the very top isn’t taking advantage. So many white kits smells like league mandate to me.

 

I’ve read theories that it also saves Adidas money as if to suggest that even alternate kits don’t sell well enough to make going fully bespoke a worthwhile endeavor. I don’t think I have enough supply chain knowledge to confirm that but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adidas and MLS want jerseys to sell better, but have they considered that people might want colors other than black and white? Perhaps more creative jerseys would sell better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, QCS said:

Adidas and MLS want jerseys to sell better, but have they considered that people might want colors other than black and white? Perhaps more creative jerseys would sell better.

 

Perhaps, a more creative

oeuvre of uniforms might

nudge popularity to embrace the

zeitgeist of the

interesting MLS.

 

Maybe Adidas sees the writing on the wall for MLS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Digby said:

I’ve read theories that it also saves Adidas money as if to suggest that even alternate kits don’t sell well enough to make going fully bespoke a worthwhile endeavor. I don’t think I have enough supply chain knowledge to confirm that but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was thinking the same but the mid major adidas teams in Europe like sheffield and Leicster all get colorful kits while using stock options. I am pretty sure MLS is at their same level with adidas but I may be wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, QCS said:

Adidas and MLS want jerseys to sell better, but have they considered that people might want colors other than black and white? Perhaps more creative jerseys would sell better.

Seems to me that the MLS is going the opposite way than other American leagues in terms of uniform colors and designations. Some leagues are being more experimental with colors and designations, and even dabbling in some color v color, while the MLS is going to a more "traditional" distinction of color home/white road. It's somewhat ironic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BC985 said:

MLS at the very top isn’t taking advantage. So many white kits smells like league mandate to me.


I asked - MLS has never asked NYCFC to adopt a white jersey.  So no. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.