kylonian

MLS Kits 2021

155577427_743444106373210_7205958592385317327_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=Jr15fEZnDyMAX_XrNFk&oh=41f796a6163af4b585877705fe5d18f8&oe=60666543 

I'm at a real loss for this Revolution kit. For all their branding woes through the years, they've had a pretty nice streak of good-to-great kits both home and away since 2014 or so. But this year, I'd take a boring color swap over whatever this thing is. If anything they look more like a tribute to ostensible rivals NYCFC. If you really want to pay tribute to your loyal supporters section, what does any of this have to do with it, beyond placing "FORT" on the socks? Why not go red-heavy again, since the red New England colonial flag as a team symbol totally grew out of the supporters' section? Really indicative of how this club has failed to build any sort of club culture in 26 years.

Looks like white names and numbers.  Not sure about that.

1080x360

Looks better in those photos than on the shop - the more saturated blue is better.

But no jock tag?

ff_4215693-d0568e3ea81bc389975aalt1_full

Still a beautiful, classy shirt. I'm a huge fan.

One thing that's stood out to me, and you can see it in the Revs photo, is that so few of the teams thought it important to run an iron over the shirts before their official photo shoots. The Chicago shirts and shorts were pretty wrinkled too.

White numbers would work with an outlined typeface — I know Daddy City has done it a few times through the years and it’s fine — but the current MLS printing with the slashes and such really needs to max out the contrast meter.

That Revolution kit sucks, it really does. That’s about all I can say. The NYCFC shirt is nice, but not nearly as nice as their last two efforts. And not sure about the white names/numbers. It kind of worked for Man City last year, and in the 2000’s, because the Premier League names/numbers have a thin black stroke, but the MLS names/numbers don’t have that. Still no info on what color the shorts are for the new NYCFC kit, and that’s really gonna make or break the kit. If they’re white, it’ll be a really solid kit. If they’re sky blue, the kit will be disappointing IMO.

6JFsX1nm.jpg?1 7zkCj4Hm.jpg

Pardon, but why couldn't the inspiration provided by "the iconic architecture and sharp angles of @CrewStadium" have been rendered in varying shades of yellow?  

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The new Crew kit has yellow shorts and, apparently, the same yellow socks as their last primary kit:

I suppose it’s nice that there’s more yellow by way of the shorts and socks, but that’s still not enough to save the shirt IMO. And frankly the yellow shorts and socks look pretty awkward with the white/grey shirt. 

Aren't these socks the same from last year? I'd rather they wear black shorts and socks instead of yellow, but I'll probably still buy the authentic jersey because it has the two stars and silver league patches. 

MLS teams are not in complete control of their jersey design. Under the league’s contract with Adidas, the popular sports apparel company has some say on what the kit will look like. 

It has been reported that Adidas will begin to exert more of its influence on the actual finished product beginning in 2022. 

So how does adidas having more say, help the teams? Also, why is FC Dallas using Advocare on both sleeves, aren't they supposed to go back to having only one sleeve sponsor? I know it's the same one, but it should only be on one sleeve. 

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Really indicative of how this club has failed to build any sort of club culture in 26 years.

Of the myriad ways in which the Krafts have mismanaged their stewardship of the New England Revolution, THIS is ultimately the most disheartening. All of the other bungling has combined to strangle the life - bit by bit, blow by blow - from a vibrant, engaged, committed, soccer-loving public in New England. The enthusiasm and passion of the folks who populate The Fort was something that could have - indeed, should have - been built upon over the club's 25 seasons to date. Sadly, all too often it seemed as though the Revolution's supporters groups were something the Krafts tolerated, rather than truly engaged and encouraged. Which would have been bad enough on its own. In concert with years of demanding little in the way of accountability from ineffectual members of team management, lackluster roster-building, piss-poor marketing, and half-hearted efforts to get a soccer-specific stadium built, the end result has been positively deadly. On the cusp of the Revolution's 26th Major League Soccer campaign, the "club culture" in New England could best be summed up as... meh

Evffv9vXUA0EgVl?format=jpg&name=medium

Chris Blain on twitter showed a yellow version would work pretty well

This also might be a stretch but idk if those are the exact socks they'll be using. They're the exact same as last seasons  

Word on the street is the Crew will be coming out with a yellow jersey in time for the new stadium.

16 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Word on the street is the Crew will be coming out with a yellow jersey in time for the new stadium.

I would love this to be true. Especially if you're making the Crew look like a reverse Colombia the next two years. 

Colombia Soccer Jerseys & Team Gear | SOCCER.COM

Also, adidas, WTF!?!?!?!?!?!? "Let's add gold, but only on the authentics, Step 2 - Profit!" Not really surprised, more like I'm disappointed.

Men's Columbus Crew SC adidas White 2021 Secondary Replica JerseyMen's Columbus Crew SC adidas White 2021 Secondary Authentic Jersey

Replica                                                                                        Authentic

37 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Of the myriad ways in which the Krafts have mismanaged their stewardship of the New England Revolution, THIS is ultimately the most disheartening. All of the other bungling has combined to strangle the life - bit by bit, blow by blow - from a vibrant, engaged, committed, soccer-loving public in New England. The enthusiasm and passion of the folks who populate The Fort was something that could have - indeed, should have - been built upon over the club's 25 seasons to date. Sadly, all too often it seemed as though the Revolution's supporters groups were something the Krafts tolerated, rather than truly engaged and encouraged. Which would have been bad enough on its own. In concert with years of demanding little in the way of accountability from ineffectual members of team management, lackluster roster-building, piss-poor marketing, and half-hearted efforts to get a soccer-specific stadium built, the end result has been positively deadly. On the cusp of the Revolution's 26th Major League Soccer campaign, the "club culture" in New England could best be summed up as... meh

Thank you.

In a league increasingly devoid of red (only Dallas has a primarily red kit, now that Chicago has abandoned the look for the current cycle, and Atlanta's is a much darker shade to begin with), the Revs had a chance to go with a colorful option, but instead gave us one of, if not the least inspired design they've ever worn (the 2004 Reebok last minute fill-in set, notwithstanding). Light blue trim introduced with no significance. Navy blue trim on the opposite side, but black for the sponsor, names and numbers. And a recycled template design on the body with zero ties to the team. Plus, they had the audacity to name it after their main supporters sections, even though the supporters were never once included in any conversations regarding this design.

Tvt6Z6Xl.jpg?1

Per the New England Revolution website:

"Inspired by the block work of American Revolution Era war forts in the New England area, the Revolution's Community Kit pays homage to The Fort - the club's dedicated supporters' sections at Gillette Stadium - and features a fort-inspired blocked white shirt with a monochromatic Revolution logo, white shorts, and sky blue socks.

"The Fort, home to the Midnight Riders and the Rebellion, has been the heartbeat of Revolution home games dating back to Major League Soccer's maiden campaign in 1996. From section 2 in Foxborough Stadium to sections 141, 142, and 143 in Gillette Stadium, Revolution supporters draw immense pride from their status as MLS originals amid the league's rapid expansion.

"Split branding on the sleeves and shorts, featuring a dark navy trim on one side and sky blue trim on the other, is unique to the Revolution, as is the blocked design on the shirt. The colors of the split represent the colors of the water and the sky that surround the war-era forts throughout New England. A staple of every Revolution kit, the flag of New England remains on the back neck location of the jersey, while a custom jock tag also pays tribute to the Fort's sections 141, 142, and 143."

7 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

The colors of the split represent the colors of the water and the sky that surround the war-era forts throughout New England.

"What colors are hyper-local to New England, that really represent our fans???"

"How about dark blue and light blue for sky and water"

"Great!! Nothing more New England than sky and water! Draw it up!"

We're all used to taking the marketing-speak trotted out for team logo and uniform unveilings to task. That said, this... 

"The colors of the split represent the colors of the water and the sky that surround the war-era forts throughout New England."

... goes beyond typical "marketing-speak" and straight to "5th Grade essay project filler sentence".

43 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Where'd you hear this?? Don't get my hopes up hahah

According to the Dispatch it sounds like the rumors are false.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/mls/columbus-crew/2021/03/02/columbus-crew-unveils-new-primary-uniform-2021-mls-season/6876297002/

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Looks like white names and numbers.  Not sure about that.

1080x360

Looks better in those photos than on the shop - the more saturated blue is better.

But no jock tag?

ff_4215693-d0568e3ea81bc389975aalt1_full

I can appreciate how NYCFC has really built this into a blue-and-white club and hasn't overplayed the orange. But I wouldn't mind if they played up orange a little bit more than they have here.

Still a nice and classy kit. But I see no harm in adding a little more orange in small touches. Like, maybe forego the white sleeve cuffs for striped cuffs of navy/orange/white or some similar combo. Or a jock tag with touches of orange, and adding an orange outline to the MLS badge.