MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

19 hours ago, nlane33 said:

Nothing set in stone, but lots of chatter on twitter indicating that Columbus Crew will be dropping "Crew" from their name in a rumored rebrand. 

F*** these generic euro wannabe names.

https://twitter.com/davisjsn/status/1391113573569646593?s=19

They can do this, but only if they vacate their MLS Cup wins, since those were done as the “Crew”.

Sorry, but that’s just how it has to be.

Also we gotta be like 3 years away from Borussia Cleveland or something.

52 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Ultimately, he was the owner of the team. All of that is his prerogative, whether fans like it or not. 

His prerogative was to piss off the fans enough that they'd stop coming and he could move the team to Austin without revealing what was in his contract when he bought the team. Would we say the same thing if this was a NFL team or would we say he owes the fans a lot more than what he put in? I'll agree attendance was not near the top, except no one can really nail down how MLS rates attendance. It's said they had 3,000 less fans at some games when they had 10,000 at least. 

As for the crest, It's good as a secondary logo, but that shouldn't be the primary. It looks slightly better than logos used for EA Sports teams that don't have permission to use the actual badges. 

That's a really dumb logo and Columbus (Crew) SC should be embarrassed.

I'm sure it's a ploy to coincidence with their new stadium, but they already did made their big move by keeping the team in Columbus to begin with.

Hopefully it's just some military-adjacent logo they're coming up to shore up that market. The Crew is a good name that's worth keeping.

Yes, this rumored Columbus rebrand is very bad, but I wonder if this is a temperature check before making a Chicago Fire-like mistake. 

1 hour ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Why? Just why? Their current logo is among the best in the league. 

This would be the worst logo in the league. Even worse than NE.

Agreed on the logo, Crew is a great name and holds alot historically to the MLS. Removing Crew is an extremely short sighted decision.

45 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Maybe because it's the daytime, but there's way more visual contrast between green Seattle and green Portland than there was Colorado/Minnesota last night.

Also way more contrast than the last time the two teams wore green against each other. Still far from ideal, but the Timbers’ white shorts and dark green shirt backs definitely make it a little more tolerable:

spacer.png

This Columbus rebrand is a disaster waiting to happen. Did they not see the s**tstorm with Chicago? I hate how they're not even talking with any supporters on this idea but why would they. MLS clubs wanna be like Europe so badly except the part where fans have a say in things. 

4 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Why? Just why? Their current logo is among the best in the league. 

This would be the worst logo in the league. Even worse than NE.

I prefer they drop the SC, but the CREW has to stay.  I actually love some of original MLS names, LA Galaxy, Colorado Rapids, even New England Revolution (logo aside). 

After all these years, I feel there is a sense of identity and recognition in keeping the names the way they are.

I find the current crest very middle of the road and it could certainly use something to make it more unique, but this isn’t it. A triangle added to the crest when Black and gold is already similar to Pittsburgh is an oversight. Don’t love the name Crew but it’s historic for MLS, and the fans just had a very public campaign that kept the team in Columbus with a  hashtag of #SaveTheCrew, that’s all the connection between name and city you need. After all, Columbus is hardly a unique city name. 

This is just pure garbage for Columbus. The fans did so much to save the Crew only for the Haslams to screw them. Yes they are still planning on using Crew as a nickname but not in name or logo. Its just stupid. I still refer Club Foot Montreal as the Impact. MLS just hasnt had good rebrands or branding since Cincinnati came along.

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

His prerogative was to piss off the fans enough that they'd stop coming and he could move the team to Austin without revealing what was in his contract when he bought the team. Would we say the same thing if this was a NFL team or would we say he owes the fans a lot more than what he put in? I'll agree attendance was not near the top, except no one can really nail down how MLS rates attendance. It's said they had 3,000 less fans at some games when they had 10,000 at least. 

As for the crest, It's good as a secondary logo, but that shouldn't be the primary. It looks slightly better than logos used for EA Sports teams that don't have permission to use the actual badges. 

I don't hate the logo, but I would agree that it is better suited for an alternate/secondary designation. I love the Ohio flag shape, but just shoving a c in there makes it too simple to promote as a primary crest. I also hate how "Columbus" and "SC" are on opposite sides of the crest. It makes the logo feel unorganized, and the "SC" gets lost, since it is way too short to separate from "Columbus". As a whole it would be a downgrade from a logo that incorporates some great iconic elements, and gives off a slight Bayern Munich vibe (which is fitting for a midwest team).

As for the names:

Columbus Crew SC: A name that has, more or less, been used since the league's creation, a fan favorite, something that carries years of history and weight, somewhat unique and recognizable, sure the SC at the end is unnecessary, but almost every team in Europe, North America and around the world use it as a label nowadays.

Columbus SC: Boring, generic, unrecognizable, strips the identity and legacy of one of the oldest and most storied franchises in the MLS. As a marketing tool, it lacks any sort of recognition or identity.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. I feel for Crew (as I will always know them) fans, and how poorly their loyalty has been treated over the past few years. This would be a serious punch in the gut, and would probably permanently scar the opening of their new stadium.

21 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

I don't hate the logo, but I would agree that it is better suited for an alternate/secondary designation. I love the Ohio flag shape, but just shoving a c in there makes it too simple to promote as a primary crest. I also hate how "Columbus" and "SC" are on opposite sides of the crest. It makes the logo feel unorganized, and the "SC" gets lost, since it is way too short to separate from "Columbus". As a whole it would be a downgrade from a logo that incorporates some great iconic elements, and gives off a slight Bayern Munich vibe (which is fitting for a midwest team).

As for the names:

Columbus Crew SC: A name that has, more or less, been used since the league's creation, a fan favorite, something that carries years of history and weight, somewhat unique and recognizable, sure the SC at the end is unnecessary, but almost every team in Europe, North America and around the world use it as a label nowadays.

Columbus SC: Boring, generic, unrecognizable, strips the identity and legacy of one of the oldest and most storied franchises in the MLS. As a marketing tool, it lacks any sort of recognition or identity.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. I feel for Crew (as I will always know them) fans, and how poorly their loyalty has been treated over the past few years. This would be a serious punch in the gut, and would probably permanently scar the opening of their new stadium.

Columbus Crew SC Logo MLS Soccer SVG cut file for cricut files Clip Art Digital

maglie mls 2018 columbus crew

If they took the pennant logo and rotated it to the same position as this new logo, I don't think you'd get the same amount of disdain. The fact that Crew is not spelled out is the major point that's driving fans crazy, but SC is still on the logo. They're also copying the Cleveland baseball team by having Crew sold on non gameday items and such. That means MLS will probably send out something saying Columbus Crew is not allowed to be said on the air during games, which they actually did this year.  The most ironic thing about the Crew's jock tag is they have Charter Member #1 yet they're constantly looking at changes. 

They should “49ers helmet” this immediately. Here in Columbus, I haven’t seen/heard/tweet anyone who likes this. Terrible decision. 

Can't speak to how real all of this is obviously, but based off of look alone, I'm leaning toward it being real. If so, the crest is awkward and the name is lame and played out.

You could at least see a line of logic if the Crew were this unsuccessful, boring club that could afford to shake things up and reinvent themselves, but that feels like the opposite of what the Crew are right now. They have grassroots fan support that a lot of other cities would envy, they just won another MLS Cup, and they've solidified their future in Columbus through the nice new stadium. It's nuts to me that somebody wants to mess with all of that for arbitrary reasons, and I won't be surprised whatsoever if we see a volatile fan reaction to the point of a Browns/49ers new prototype helmet situation.

Sorry to harp on this so much, but the poor decision-making on MLS brands feels like it's gotten out of hand lately. Fingers crossed that the rumor is BS and this leak is just a fan concept or something. 

2 hours ago, sonny said:

They should “49ers helmet” this immediately. Here in Columbus, I haven’t seen/heard/tweet anyone who likes this. Terrible decision. 

Knowing MLS with Chicago, they will claim that Adidas and MLS have already spent money on this so let's let it go for the two year cycle and worry about it then. 

With that said, I have 0 faith that Chicago's will be fixed to where it will be liked by majority. 

How many of these changes being made are league decisions/suggestions and how many of them have been new owners wanting to make their now owned team their own identity. Do they owners have no ability to just tell the league NO!