Jump to content

MLS Kits 2021


kylonian

Recommended Posts

This is a really nice crest. A standard roundel, a little... safe, but well-designed, pleasing, unique in the universe of MLS, if not the world. Evocative of Bundesliga, as someone said, and that was what they were going for. Huge downgrade IMO.

 

spacer.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Part of the problem is that they did involve the supporters and then ignored them. It's the Principal Skinner meme in real life.

 

But they didn’t.  They brought in two individual supporters, made them sign an NDA, and showed them a couple final options.  They didn’t work with the SG, let them help shape the process from the beginning, and accept meaningful input on the design. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

crew-v2-marks-1

I understand there was no time to find better ways to do it, but the 96 just feels so shoehorned in. If they found a way for it to better fit within the flag shape and with the C, then this would look a lot better. At least they (somewhat) came to their senses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

crew-v2-marks-1

I understand there was no time to find better ways to do it, but the 96 just feels so shoehorned in. If they found a way for it to better fit within the flag shape and with the C, then this would look a lot better. At least they (somewhat) came to their senses.

 

I agree, though I give them some nominal points for nimbleness. That 96 in the corner at least serves a function, while the little useless nugget it replaced was only there to eat up space. 

 

Regardless, they still should've cut their losses and stuck with the roundel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, schlim said:

Maybe Kansas City can get rid of its horrible SC on its logo now too.

 

For the life of me, I've never understood why they didn't create a nice KC monogram for this shield that could also stand on its own.

 

300px-Sporting_Kansas_City_logo.svg.png

 

I love the graceful swoop of the letters.  They just chose the wrong two letters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

For the life of me, I've never understood why they didn't create a nice KC monogram for this shield that could also stand on its own.

 

300px-Sporting_Kansas_City_logo.svg.png

 

I love the graceful swoop of the letters.  They just chose the wrong two letters.

 

The NWSL side did it better, even if it just ends up being a placeholder.

 

spacer.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every time I’m forced to consider the Sporting Kansas City brand, I hate it more. I don’t even know why there’s an SC or what it stands for. And I don’t think it fits in with the rest of the crest at all. Then again, do you even want to fit in with Bank Gothic? IDK.

 

The NWSL placeholder looks as 2021 as it gets, but I kind of love it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

Every time I’m forced to consider the Sporting Kansas City brand, I hate it more. I don’t even know why there’s an SC or what it stands for. And I don’t think it fits in with the rest of the crest at all. Then again, do you even want to fit in with Bank Gothic? IDK.

and aren't they inaccurately using the name SPORTING as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

crew-v2-marks-1

I understand there was no time to find better ways to do it, but the 96 just feels so shoehorned in. If they found a way for it to better fit within the flag shape and with the C, then this would look a lot better. At least they (somewhat) came to their senses.

I'm hoping this is just a temporary quick fix until they can redo the crest later on. If they already started making the uniforms for next year they can seam rip the fan jerseys and put this over the area that had the new, now dead logo. I hope they incorporate the bridge design that I've seen on other concept badges floating around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

 

For the life of me, I've never understood why they didn't create a nice KC monogram for this shield that could also stand on its own.

 

300px-Sporting_Kansas_City_logo.svg.png

 

I love the graceful swoop of the letters.  They just chose the wrong two letters.


Or, if they were so set on adopting the Sporting Kansas City identity, why not combine SKC in a monogram? Queens Park Rangers make a 3-letter monogram work.

Sporting Kansas City's badge has a host of problems: the wrong letters comprising the monogram... the "copulating worms" font in which said monogram is rendered... the bulbous shield. It's a mess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Or, if they were so set on adopting the Sporting Kansas City identity, why not combine SKC in a monogram? Queens Park Rangers make a 3-letter monogram work.

SKC's own second team, Swope Park Rangers, were able to do just that:

SPR.png

Of course, they lazily rebranded to SKCII before the 2020 season...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, YELDARBfield said:

SKC's own second team, Swope Park Rangers, were able to do just that:

SPR.png

Of course, they lazily rebranded to SKCII before the 2020 season...

That's a shame they changed it. I like the name Swope Park Rangers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm hoping this is just a temporary quick fix until they can redo the crest later on.


If Ty Phillips of Nordecke leadership is to be believed, that hoped for "redo" could be a long time coming. Phillips appeared on the Massive Report podcast this week and, in response to one of the co-hosts mentioning supporters helping design a new badge "in two years, or so", had this to say:

"My understanding is the badge - they're business people, if we're not buying it for a long time, or whatever, they may be like, 'Okay how can we tweak it.' But, they're leaning real hard into it."

"I think you're going to see them ride with this for awhile."

"That's probably going to get changed in 10 years or so."


This is a guy who sat in a room and specifically discussed the recent Columbus Crew rebrand with co-investor/operators Dee Haslam, JW Johnson, and Dr. Pete Edwards, and his takeaway was that it would require a lengthy stretch - perhaps a decade - of Crew supporters refusing to purchase licensed merchandise bearing the new burgee-shaped badge in order for said investor/operators to even consider another makeover of the team's primary mark.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2021 at 2:06 PM, DPHF said:

 

Patrick Surtain the 11th 

 

Why it take me this long to notice Denver's letter Is look like 1s? What is it with Nike and 1s, man??

 

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

For the life of me, I've never understood why they didn't create a nice KC monogram for this shield that could also stand on its own.

 

300px-Sporting_Kansas_City_logo.svg.png

 

I love the graceful swoop of the letters.  They just chose the wrong two letters.

 

I'd just as soon rather they go back to being the Wizards...with the previous color scheme, bcuz Lord knows we already have WAY too many two-tone blue teams in North American pro sports, three in MLS alone (four if you count Cincinnati)...

 

9 hours ago, Digby said:

Every time I’m forced to consider the Sporting Kansas City brand, I hate it more. I don’t even know why there’s an SC or what it stands for. And I don’t think it fits in with the rest of the crest at all. Then again, do you even want to fit in with Bank Gothic? IDK.

 

The NWSL placeholder looks as 2021 as it gets, but I kind of love it.

 

Supposedly "Sporting Club", from what I read about this badge a couple years back, but still though...woof.

 

Yeah it's about time for a do-over there, Kansas City...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:


If Ty Phillips of Nordecke leadership is to be believed, that hoped for "redo" could be a long time coming. Phillips appeared on the Massive Report podcast this week and, in response to one of the co-hosts mentioning supporters helping design a new badge "in two years, or so", had this to say:

"My understanding is the badge - they're business people, if we're not buying it for a long time, or whatever, they may be like, 'Okay how can we tweak it.' But, they're leaning real hard into it."

"I think you're going to see them ride with this for awhile."

"That's probably going to get changed in 10 years or so."


This is a guy who sat in a room and specifically discussed the recent Columbus Crew rebrand with co-investor/operators Dee Haslam, JW Johnson, and Dr. Pete Edwards, and his takeaway was that it would require a lengthy stretch - perhaps a decade - of Crew supporters refusing to purchase licensed merchandise bearing the new burgee-shaped badge in order for said investor/operators to even consider another makeover of the team's primary mark.   

IT's at least a 2 year wait, maybe three. If even the updated badge doesn't sell they'll speed things up but that's still a minimum of two years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

So we're doing white and blue again?🙄😒

Expect this year’s Parley jerseys to be the stock Condivo 20 Primeblue colorways:

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

Here’s a closeup of the badge on Nashville’s version:

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Expect this year’s Parley jerseys to be the stock Condivo 20 Primeblue colorways:

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

Here’s a closeup of the badge on Nashville’s version:

spacer.png

So only NYCFC won't have a badge not in their colors? Yuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.