MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

Someone clue a brotha in: weren't they the first of the charter clubs to adopt the Euro-naming convention?

DC United has always used a Euro-style name, but it makes sense for them. The first charter club to switch to Euro was Dallas back in 2005 when they dropped Burn for FC.

Yeah, DCU and Toronto beat them to the convention from the start, then, FC Dallas were the first 96 club to rebrand Euro-style. And Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA ushered in the particularly WTF takes on language to team names.

30 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yeah, DCU and Toronto beat them to the convention from the start, then, FC Dallas were the first 96 club to rebrand Euro-style. And Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA ushered in the particularly WTF takes on language to team names.

I personally would like to see some names that would make for interesting use instead of FC/United all the time. Like Charlotte should be Charlotte Athletic, I would've loved to see Austin FC be Locomotive Austin. I get they want it to be "Euro Centric" but there's more than just United or FC in Europe. 

41 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

I personally would like to see some names that would make for interesting use instead of FC/United all the time. Like Charlotte should be Charlotte Athletic Town, I would've loved to see Austin FC be Locomotive Austin. I get they want it to be "Euro Centric" but there's more than just United or FC in Europe. 

Charlotte Town FC is much better than Athletic - city used to be called Charlottetown, unique to MLS, lends itself to nice, city-specific imagery. I definitely agree with the overall sentiment.

7 hours ago, Digby said:

^ I think the parley thing basically functions as a better version of the Revs away kit, as far as off-white kits that randomly make light blue a team color go.

I don’t know, why can the recycle material not work in team colors??

It works for Miami.

university of miami adidas parley football uniforms parley for the oceans

16 hours ago, upperV03 said:

- Finally, San Jose and SKC are going blue vs. blue. Shouldn’t really be an issue, but still notable:

spacer.png

Last week, Sporting KC wore all navy against Vancouver, who wore white tops and navy shorts. The officials wore blue tops and navy shorts. It was a lot of blue.

This game might actually have better contrast due to the teams wearing different shorts and the officials in green.

12 hours ago, WBeltz said:

I personally would like to see some names that would make for interesting use instead of FC/United all the time. Like Charlotte should be Charlotte Athletic, I would've loved to see Austin FC be Locomotive Austin. I get they want it to be "Euro Centric" but there's more than just United or FC in Europe. 

It makes sense if there's a major train junction there but there isn't. Also, they might get some heat from El Paso Locomotive for copying them. They don't even have the most inventive name in their own city, that goes to Austin Bold. 

11 hours ago, QCS said:

Charlotte Town FC is much better than Athletic - city used to be called Charlottetown, unique to MLS, lends itself to nice, city-specific imagery. I definitely agree with the overall sentiment.

they teased this as a possibility and went with the boring. Pretty disappointing. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Honest question: why?

I guess what I should have said was, "The name United made sense for DC, so it wasn't as obvious that they were using a Euro-style name." Wasn't saying Euro-style makes sense for DC more so than other cities. Bad phrasing on my part.

16 hours ago, Digby said:

That's what I meant...my bad for not making that clear. But thanks for clearing that up!

And before I read this, I legit forgot Chivas USA used to even be a thing. Not sure what to think about that...

29 minutes ago, burgundy said:

I guess what I should have said was, "The name United made sense for DC, so it wasn't as obvious that they were using a Euro-style name." Wasn't saying Euro-style makes sense for DC more so than other cities. Bad phrasing on my part.

Well there are bonus points when the international-convention name also has some reason to resonate locally: DC as capital of the United States, Minnesota as unifying the Twin Cities, NYCFC with the city name and the corporate overlord.

It’s a small thing but in this era of every single branding thing being some local reference, those do work a little more nicely than say Atlanta or Orlando or (shudder) Real Salt Lake, which are mostly fine but feel a little more arbitrary just because it sounds like something a soccer team might be called.

23 minutes ago, tBBP said:

That's what I meant...my bad for not making that clear. But thanks for clearing that up!

And before I read this, I legit forgot Chivas USA used to even be a thing. Not sure what to think about that...

About once a month they cross my mind again, usually when I’m on a Wikipedia binge on some MLS old-timer who, turns out, played there. Weird era.

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Well there are bonus points when the international-convention name also has some reason to resonate locally: DC as capital of the United States, Minnesota as unifying the Twin Cities, NYCFC with the city name and the corporate overlord.

It’s a small thing but in this era of every single branding thing being some local reference, those do work a little more nicely than say Atlanta or Orlando or (shudder) Real Salt Lake, which are mostly fine but feel a little more arbitrary just because it sounds like something a soccer team might be called.

Eh, plenty of Uniteds are United only because somebody sometime thought it sounded appropriately soccer-y.   Was good enough for Manchester and West Ham, don’t know why we should hold any other club to a higher standard. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Eh, plenty of Uniteds are United only because somebody sometime thought it sounded appropriately soccer-y.   Was good enough for Manchester and West Ham, don’t know why we should hold any other club to a higher standard. 

Maybe not a different standard, but it’s at least a different rubric for the teams built now vs 100 years ago. I don’t necessarily mind the new Uniteds but doesn’t need to be the default anymore either, just as it’s a positive aspect of the newer North American schemes that we aren’t beholden to one of like four possible historic color schemes.

13 hours ago, Digby said:

Maybe not a different standard, but it’s at least a different rubric for the teams built now vs 100 years ago.

Honest question: Why?

Sports develop their own traditions.  That’s part of the charm.  

NFL and MLB teams have avoided singular nicknames since they were a thing, because singular nicknames don’t really fit their aesthetic.  Should we criticize every new team since the 80s?

On 5/21/2021 at 9:31 AM, WBeltz said:

Well, I finally someone who shares the same thoughts as mine. What a time to be alive.

On 5/21/2021 at 8:52 AM, Digby said:

The 'Real' part would work in a place like Miami, LA, or any Texan city, but Salt Lake isn't one would I think of worthy of that nickname. Chivas, however, is a different story.

13 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

DC United vs Philadelphia Union was visually pleasing colors matchup. 

It was the best looking matchup of the weekend, and will probably be the best look all year. Neither team was in monochrome, which made it look even better. 

It's funny thinking back to being a kid when the league started and not knowing anything about soccer naming conventions. I thought calling a team DC United was just the same as the Columbus Crew, Dallas Burn, Tampa Bay Mutiny, Orlando Magic, Colorado Avalanche, Miami Heat etc. I called them "the United" as in, "I'm going to the Crew game tonight. They are playing the United." It wasn't until years later that I realized what they were actually going for.