New Pringles branding

LAWeaver

10 hours ago, VC// said:

After seeing the new logo, I can't even remember what the original looked like. 

Here's the previous design/packaging:

I definitely think they should've kept the outline. Also, he's bald now, so there's that.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I could be overthinking this, but the new Pringles logo turns what was clearly a white guy into something more racially ambiguous; like the Hamburger Helper.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

How is that racially ambiguous?  Not too many non-caucasians sporting flowing light-brown hair and full mustaches like that.

EDIT: I was looking at the old packaging when I saw the hair.  Even still, I don't see it as ambiguous.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

How is that racially ambiguous?  Not too many non-caucasians sporting flowing light-brown hair and full mustaches like that.

EDIT: I was looking at the old packaging when I saw the hair.  Even still, I don't see it as ambiguous.

I look at the new Pringles man and I see this:

hambyrger-helper-dude.png

Whereas the old Pringles man was clearly an old-timey Mumford & Son, the new guy is just a circle with a mustache. A circle and a mustache could be any race, and doesn't necessarily need to be a person at all.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

A circle and a mustache could be any race, and doesn't necessarily need to be a person at all.

That mustache can't be any race.  How many Black men do you know that relax their facial hair to make it flow like that?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Whereas the old Pringles man was clearly an old-timey Mumford & Son, the new guy is just a circle with a mustache. A circle and a mustache could be any race, and doesn't necessarily need to be a person at all.

Maybe if they added a sombrero.... 

I saw, I came, I left.

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

That mustache can't be any race.  How many Black men do you know that relax their facial hair to make it flow like that?

Perhaps. But I think you can allow that by making the mustache black and not brown, it's now more applicable to more people than it was before.

I think that was the point.

Just have a different chip man for each race, and then use stereotypes to associate the appropriate chip with the most common flavor that race purchases.  They could have an Asian chip man, Black chip man, Indian chip man, etc.  Not sure what the down side of this approach could be.

On 12/2/2020 at 3:30 PM, burgundy said:

I think it's too simplified. Without the brown mustache it kinda looks like he has a giant beak for a mouth. He looks like a snapping turtle.

Well, $#!T, can't unsee that now.

This redesign was unnecessary. Does it look smooth and clean? Yes. Does it look sterile, corporate, and like a half-assed attempt at minimalist modernization? Also yes.

The big advantage of this redesign, and I’m sure one of the driving factors, is that it opens up the package design options enormously.

The previous packaging was constrained by the brown of the Pringle man’s hair. All of their packaging colours had to compliment that brown in some way.

spacer.png

Their new packaging can be any colour of the rainbow.

spacer.png

Archived