NCAA Division 1 Football Concepts - Power Five Conferences

mahnkej

Now that I've finished my NFL series, I thought I'd take on something new: NCAA Division 1 football.  I'll be working my way through the Power 5 conferences, with some future members/current Group of Five schools thrown in the mix. Hoping to do 1-2 sets per week. In no particular order: 

ACC

Boston CollegeClemson  v2.0 | Duke | Florida State | Georgia Tech | LouisvilleMiami | North Carolina | North Carolina State | Pittsburgh | SyracuseVirginiaVirginia TechWake Forest |

Big Ten

Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Maryland  v2.0  | Michigan | Michigan State  v2.0 Minnesota | Nebraska | Northwestern  v2.0 Ohio State  v2.0 | Penn State  v2.0Purdue | Rutgers | Wisconsin  v2.0 |

Big 12

Baylor | Iowa State | Kansas | Kansas State | Oklahoma | Oklahoma State  v2.0 | TCU | Texas | Texas Tech | West Virginia |

* Future:   | BYUCincinnatiHouston | UCF |

Pac-12

Arizona | Arizona State | California | Colorado | Oregon | Oregon State | Stanford | UCLA | USC | Utah | Washington | Washington State |

SEC

Alabama | Arkansas | Auburn | Florida  v2.0 Georgia  v2.0  v2.5 | Kentucky  v2.0LSU | Ole Miss | Mississippi State | Missouri  v2.0South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas A&M | Vanderbilt |

Independents/Group of Five Schools

Air Force | Army  v1.5 | Navy | Notre Dame | UCF |

Comments/feedback welcome! 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alabama Crimson Tide

Starting things off with the quintessential college football uniform: The 'Bama Crimson Tide.

This is a look that has remained pretty much unchanged throughout their history, with no signs of that changing under the current regime. And when you win as much as they do, why would you? Don't fix what isn't broken; only change I made was putting a single stripe on the pants to better match the single stripe on the lids. No alternates here (most likely only set I'll be able to say this about), just a bright crimson home set and and a crispy white road set. 

mq8kexh.png

2omfNCE.png

Auburn War Eagles

I know, I know: War Eagle isn't actually their official mascot. It's the Tigers. But let's be real, nobody really thinks of Auburn as the "Tigers" (especially not when they have a freaking golden eagle doing pre-game flight demonstrations). In my ideal world, Auburn fully embraces the War Eagles as both their rally cry and official mascot (sorry, Aubie). 

As for the uniforms themselves, most of the changes I made were subtle, since Auburn already has a really good look. I carried over the Northwestern striping pattern from the helmet/sleeves to the pants. Alternate orange jersey, complete with the secondary Auburn eagle logo on the helmet, rounds out the set.

4xKiZxB.png

K48gFh2.png

gmKqXe3.png

Iowa Hawkeyes

First team up in the Big 10 is everyone's favorite Pittsburgh Steelers knockoffs, the Iowa Hawkeyes. Mainly just subtle changes to make Iowa a little more unique and not just a direct Steelers copy.

I used the proprietary Iowa Hawkeyes font the the numbers and player names, while also thinning up the pants stripe to better match the single gold stripe on the helmets. For the gold alternate uniform, I changed the shoulder striping to look more like actual hawk wings (as opposed to whatever these are supposed to be). 

91vR7NP.png

jLKkXWG.png

2nZiwmd.png

atpWmKe.png

Michigan State Spartans

I absolutely love Michigan State's look, so I built upon the solid base that's already there. Moved the TV numbers to the shoulders and added in a sublimated Spartan plume logo on the sleeves. Also dropped the chest wordmarks, and modified the striping on the helmet and pants to resemble a sword. Finally, I retired the hideous neon green jerseys and brought back the bronze helmets/matching uniforms for the alternate look.

49g9Oc0.png

pWq7TxH.png

DGqTz51.pngXR1pqga.png

Northwestern Wildcats

I love their current crop of jerseys (3 stripes across the chest is a pretty unique pattern that they can own as their own)... but everything else is a little boring. I livened things up by including the Northwestern striping pattern on the helmets/pants, and added an all-white alternate with an oversized Wildcat logo on the helmet. 

hLuPSkX.png

kksKwUq.png

kO6KI9E.png

mqNxnYp.png

Ohio State Buckeyes

Unsurprisingly, not much changes here. Ohio State's duds are consistently ranked as some of the best in the sport. The main change I made is to the home uniform, where I basically combined the 5-stripe sleeve pattern from the current uniforms with the colors from their throwback uniforms. For the alternates, I resurrected their white alternates from a few years back, and also brought in their 2015 National Championship Game jerseys as a throwback set.

DR5GMg8.png

rMnZSlS.png

jYVYlTz.png

vbZpxl1.png

Penn State Nittany Lions

Another classic, minimalist look that I only made minor tweaks to. I used the pants from the current throwback uniforms and used them for the primary home/away sets, as the single pants stripe matches the single helmet stripe.

For schools like PSU, alternates are where you can play around with different colors/designs. That's what I did here,  adding a steel grey set with a navy blue helmet featuring the Nittany Lion logo. I also retained their excellent "Generations of Greatness" throwback jerseys. 

wlKB0Ep.png

TExN3jU.png

MKD92fs.png

MdFUGbW.png

Wisconsin Badgers

Honestly one of Under Armour's better sets;  if anything, they look a little bit too much like Nebraska. Some subtle differences like the custom number font and arrows on the sleeves (Wisconsin's official state motto is "Forward") set them apart. For my set, chest wordmarks replace the motion W on the home and road jerseys, as I think it looks cleaner. I also added a dark grey alternate featuring Bucky to give them a different look. 

y5xpvGB.png

OEhPGey.png

fmmkzAB.png

UCF Knights

Not a Power 5 school, but the unofficial 2017 national champs have such a great look that wanted to try my hand at them.  Main change was using gold in place of anthracite, and adding an oversized Pegasus logo to the pants. I also added in an all-white fourth set that utilizes the secondary knight logo in place of the ubiquitous UCF logo.

pMVDwUS.png

r33q61b.png

ZkfWSd2.png

XWi6Y7R.png

On 12/7/2020 at 10:48 AM, benny15910 said:

What template did you use? and how did you get the logos on the jerseys?

I made my own template, but it's based heavily off of this style:

https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/h2dc609e1egw9h47rwefemqsb/Green_Bay_Packers/1997/Home_Uniform

I just modified it to fit the current Nike template and to show sleeve details. Here's a blank version:

As for getting logos on the jerseys, I just searched around in Google to find free use logos (preferably transparent images, as they're easier to work with). 

u0Wmmzj.png

Michigan Wolverines

Pretty minimal changes to one of the most iconic looks in the sport. Added a gold "M" to the collars on all jerseys. Gold alternates are paired with navy blue pants for the alternate look, while a Brady-era influenced road set is added as a throwback.

Note: Technically Michigan is supplied by Jordan now (along with the Florida Gators and a few others). However, I think having the Jumpman logo on a football uniform just looks goofy, so I changed the branding to use the Nike Swoosh instead (Nike owns Jordan anyway, so it's not like any of this really matters at all).

VYlfqmO.png

1anDyYk.png

a7gk63H.png

lcewbbD.png

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Not much to discuss here; Nebraska is an iconic look and I didn't want to mess with a good thing. Main change was keeping the striping consistent across all uniform elements. I also modified the alternate Blackshirts uniforms a bit.

n5lN0QR.png

soFD5Yq.png

2csoD3T.png

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Minnesota got Nike-fied a couple years back, and they rolled out some pretty cool new stuff. I took some of my favorite ideas from the new sets and changed up everything else. I ended up taking the compass off the backs of the helmets and moving them to the side of the pant legs. #1, It's a great-looking logo, and #2, It would make them the first team (that I know of) to put TV numbers on the pants, as opposed to the usual jersey/helmet locations.

I also dropped anthracite and black from the color palette, as Minnesota's primary colors are good enough to stand on their own.

aYjbCwK.png

EoLGTkd.png

CRvwIxz.png

RoVFEdm.png

7 hours ago, John1988 said:

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Minnesota got Nike-fied a couple years back, and they rolled out some pretty cool new stuff. However, I think they overdid it a little. I tried to simplify things a bit, while also keeping the look unique. I ended up taking the compass off the backs of the helmets and moving them to the side of the pant legs. #1) It's a great-looking logo, and #2) It would make them the first team (that I know of) to put TV numbers on the pants, as opposed to the usual jersey and helmet locations. I also dropped anthracite and black from the color pallette, as Minnesota's primary colors are good enough to stand on their own. 

uj4yqE0.png

Nice look. I think adding the thin helmet stripe to the pants would take it over the top.

1 hour ago, benny15910 said:

When this is all said and done, will you have done all the FBS teams?

My goal is just to do all the Power 5 schools for now. That's still 65 schools total so it's gonna be a long project.  

Indiana Hoosiers

For Indiana, I kept things simple and classic. Took the double stripe from the helmet and applied it to the shoulders and pant legs. Added some crimson pants to mirror the home look on the road. For the alternates, I used the torch & stars from the Indiana state flag on the helmets, and used the university's official shade of cream in place of white throughout.

P4ijLDr.png

dn88xHm.png

k5FxuPC.png

JKmQglc.png

• 3 weeks later...

Maryland Terrapins

Under Armour's answer to Nike's Oregon-  Maryland's had about a gagillion different uniform combinations over the years (and not all of them have been great). I looked to keep the unique stuff that works, while cleaning up the rest. Primary sets use my version of a tortoise shell helmet, while the black alternates get the colorful Maryland state flag helmet. Pants use a thin stripe down either side, which mirrors the the state flag pattern from the sleeves.

eTIjT4A.png

Xr375oy.png

DxIJyER.png

bcNOh7J.png

Archived