Now that I've finished my NFL series, I thought I'd take on something new: NCAA Division 1 football. Vastly bigger (and way more fun) than the NFL. I'll be working my way through the Power 5 conferences, with some Group of Five/Independents thrown in the mix as I get to them. Hoping to do 2-3 per week. In no particular order: 

ACC

Boston College | Clemson | Duke | Florida State | Georgia Tech | Louisville | Miami | North Carolina | NC State | Pittsburgh | Syracuse | Virginia | Virginia Tech | Wake Forest

Big Ten

Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Maryland | Michigan | Michigan State | Minnesota | Nebraska | Northwestern | Ohio State | Penn State | Purdue | Rutgers | Wisconsin

Big 12

Baylor | Iowa State | Kansas | Kansas State | Oklahoma | Oklahoma State | TCU | Texas | Texas Tech | West Virginia

Pac-12

Arizona | Arizona State | California | Colorado | Oregon | Oregon State | Stanford | UCLA | USC | Utah | Washington | Washington State

SEC

Alabama | Arkansas | Auburn | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | LSU | Ole Miss | Mississippi State | Missouri | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas A&M | Vanderbilt

Group of Five/Independents

UCF | Notre Dame

Comments/feedback welcome! 

Alabama Crimson Tide

Starting things off with the quintessential college football uniform: The 'Bama Crimson Tide. This is a look that has remained pretty much unchanged throughout their history, with no signs of that changing under the current regime. And when you win as much as they do, why would you? Don't fix what isn't broken; only change I made to the primaries was putting a single stripe on the pants to better match the single stripe on the lids.

For the alternates (and let's be real, there's slim chance of an alternate look happening anytime soon) I swapped out the TV numbers on the helmet for the Alabama "A" and added a set of crimson pants to give them a head-to-toe crimson look. 

DewqUMp.png

Auburn War Eagles

I know, I know: War Eagle isn't actually their official mascot. It's the Tigers. But let's be real, nobody really thinks of Auburn as the "Tigers" (especially not when they have a freaking golden eagle doing pre-game flight demonstrations). In my ideal world, Auburn fully embraces the War Eagles as both their rally cry and official mascot (sorry, Aubie). 

As for the uniforms themselves, most of the changes I made were subtle, since Auburn already has really great duds. I carried over the Northwestern striping pattern from the helmet/sleeves to the pants, and added an orange alternate jersey. Also added an Eagle logo to the front helmet bumpers, and as the primary helmet logo for the alternates.

Loved how these ones turned out, they might be my favorite college set.

FXIaMNs.png

Iowa Hawkeyes

Beginning with the Big 10 - I'll start things off with everyone's favorite Pittsburgh Steelers knockoffs. Mainly just subtle changes to make Iowa a little more unique and not just a direct Steelers copy. Used the Hawkeyes font throughout for the numbers and player names. Also thinned up the pants stripe. For the all-gold alternate uniform, I changed the shoulder striping to look more like hawk wings (as opposed to whatever these are supposed to be). 

PTVlxLy.png

Michigan State Spartans

I absolutely love Michigan State's primary logo and font, so I built upon the solid base that's already there. Moved the TV numbers to the shoulders and added in a sublimated Spartan plume on the sleeves. Modified the striping on the helmet and pants to resemble a sword. And finally, I retired the hideous neon green jerseys brought back the bronze helmets/matching uniforms as a nod to the legendary Spartan warriors. Molon freaking Labe. 

L2ZyYLx.png

Northwestern Wildcats

I debated changing these, but in the end I decided that a school who literally has a uniform motif named after them should include... well, you know.... some Northwestern striping. I added the iconic three stripe pattern to the helmets and pants, and stuck with the 3 distinct colors sets to give them plenty of choices to mix & match. I also updated the helmets to include the version of their "N" with the wildcat head, as opposed to the plain N found on the pants. 

vEBYnzf.png

Ohio State Buckeyes

Unsurprisingly, not much changes here. Ohio State's duds are consistently ranked as some of the best in the sport. The main change I made is to the home uniform, where I basically combined the 5-stripe sleeve pattern from the current uniforms with the colors from their throwback uniforms. For the alternates, I resurrected the all-white look with dark grey helmet & red buckeye stickers from a couple years back. 

soXWbYV.png

Penn State Nittany Lions

Another classic, minimalist look that I only made minor tweaks to. All I did was take the pants from the current throwback uniforms and used it for the home and away sets, as the single stripe matches the single navy stripe from the helmet. 

For schools like PSU, alternates are where you can play around with different colors/designs. That's what I did here, opting to go with an all-grey look w/ a navy blue helmet featuring the Nittany Lion logo. 

LT5X3wW.png

Wisconsin Badgers

Honestly, one of Under Armour's better sets. If anything they look a little too much like Nebraska. Some subtle differences like the custom number font, and arrows on the sleeves (Wisconsin's official state motto is "Forward") set them apart. I added a dark grey alternate featuring Bucky on the chest to give them a different look.  Wordmarks replace the motion W on the primary sets, as I think it looks cleaner. 

T3XQ325.png

UCF Knights

Not a Power 5 school, but the unofficial 2017 national champs have such a great look that wanted to try my hand at them. They have such a great color scheme and look already that I only ended up changing a few things. Main change was using gold in place of anthracite. I also went a little crazy and added in 3 additional alternates in order to play around w/ the look.

cDb47Cl.png

THTnndr.png

On 12/7/2020 at 10:48 AM, benny15910 said:

What template did you use? and how did you get the logos on the jerseys?

I made my own template, but it's based heavily off of this style:

https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/h2dc609e1egw9h47rwefemqsb/Green_Bay_Packers/1997/Home_Uniform

I just modified it to fit the current Nike template and to show sleeve details. Here's a blank version:

As for getting logos on the jerseys, I just searched around in Google to find free use logos (preferably transparent images, as they're easier to work with). 

0gC32f4.png

Michigan Wolverines

Pretty minimal changes to one of the most iconic looks in the sport. Added a gold "M" on the collars and pants. Dropped the white pants from the road jerseys as I think the classic maize pants look better, and added gold trim to the road jersey numbering.  Also brought back the all maize uniforms to give them a 3rd look. 

Note: Technically Michigan is supplied by Jordan now (along with the Florida Gators and a few others). However, I think having the Jumpman logo on a football uniform just looks funny, so I changed the branding to have the Nike Swoosh instead. (Nike owns Jordan anyway, so it's not like this even matters).  

fn2GlzE.png

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Not much to mess with here, Nebraska is an iconic look and I didn't want to mess with a good thing. Main change was matching the single stripe on the helmet with the pants. I also modified the alternate Blackshirts uniforms slightly to more strategically use red trim for max effect. 

F5ufi97.png

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Minnesota got Nike-fied a couple years back, and they rolled out some pretty cool new stuff. I took some of my favorite ideas from the new sets and rolled with it. I ended up taking the compass off the backs of the helmets and moving them to the side of the pant legs. #1) It's a great-looking logo, and #2) It would make them the first team (that I know of) to put TV numbers on the pants, as opposed to the usual jersey/helmet locations. I also dropped anthracite and black from the color pallette, as Minnesota's primary colors are good enough to stand on their own. 

aEHS1SK.png

7 hours ago, John1988 said:

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Minnesota got Nike-fied a couple years back, and they rolled out some pretty cool new stuff. However, I think they overdid it a little. I tried to simplify things a bit, while also keeping the look unique. I ended up taking the compass off the backs of the helmets and moving them to the side of the pant legs. #1) It's a great-looking logo, and #2) It would make them the first team (that I know of) to put TV numbers on the pants, as opposed to the usual jersey and helmet locations. I also dropped anthracite and black from the color pallette, as Minnesota's primary colors are good enough to stand on their own. 

uj4yqE0.png

Nice look. I think adding the thin helmet stripe to the pants would take it over the top.

1 hour ago, benny15910 said:

When this is all said and done, will you have done all the FBS teams?

My goal is just to do all the Power 5 schools for now. That's still 65 schools total so it's gonna be a long project.  

Indiana Hoosiers

For Indiana, I kept things simple and classic. Took the double stripe from the helmet and applied it to the shoulders and pant legs. Added some crimson pants to allow them to mirror their home look on the road. For the alternates, I applied the torch & stars from the Indiana state flag to the helmets, and used the university's official shade of cream with crimson numbering.

1GQR65k.png

Maryland Terrapins

Under Armour's answer to Nike's Oregon-  Maryland's had about a gagillion different uniform combinations over the years (and not all of them have been great). I looked to keep the unique stuff that works, while cleaning up the rest. Brought back the white turtle shell helmet for the primary look. For the alternate look, I went with a blackout uniform featuring the Maryland state flag helmet. 

VB4AGVC.png