NHL Prototype Series (Golden Knights Added Jan 15)

72freebie

Hello Everyone. I've had some spare time as of late and really wanted to get back into the concept game. This is a series idea I've had for a while but I just haven't gotten to it until now. I've always been fascinated by prototype logos and uniforms that have leaked online after years of being lost. These are logos that were once proposed or were early drafts for teams that were either rebranding or expanding into the NHL. It's amazing how many of these logos you can find online and many of them are actually really cool! Basically this series will show these prototype logos some spotlight and I will be doing jersey concepts that showcase what the jerseys could have looked like if these teams ended up using these logos instead of going for something else. I will be trying my best to make these jerseys era appropriate for when the logos were supposed to be used.

Without further ado, Let's get to the first team.

Phoenix Coyotes.

Link to the story on this logo

This logo was proposed as a potential logo for there inaugural season and features a very cartoonish coyote that would have fit right into semi pro hockey at the time. This logo never got to see the ice and instead the famous Kachina identity was used instead. My concept is based on the original kachina jerseys bit uses a different pattern that is also used in the logo. The colors are black, purple, and brown. This concept uses much more purple than the original jerseys as well as a bit of brown. The third jersey is also based on the Coyotes desert jersey but goes a bit more 90s by displaying a giant logo on the front. 

UdxZctt.jpg

kBh1WtQ.jpg

Hope you guys are looking forward to this! I've got lots of different teams planned for this series.

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second up in the series is the Philadelphia Flyers. This set uses a proposed logo from 1995 which was meant to be on a third jersey in the NHL's third jersey program in 1996. This logo was mocked up on a couple of third jersey options that never ended up seeing the light of day. The logo is a far cry from the Flyers branding and includes multiple shade of teal. I decided to go full 90s with both the main set and especially the third jersey which brings back the classic Flyers logo in a very 90's way. This was a fun one, let me know what you think.

Link for the story on this proposed logo.

0Z4Ixg0.jpg

G2mn4QW.jpg

Next up is a set of jerseys using a proposed logo for the Vancouver Canucks in 1989. This is a very interesting logo and it uses a color scheme that definitely would half stood out in 1989. It's very similar to what the Sharks would use a few years later. This concept keeps the V's on the shoulders similar to their actual jerseys of the time while also keeping some fairly basic striping to keep within the era.

Link for the story on this proposed logo

OtnjTvf.jpg

ZlgSrxQ.jpg

Next team up is the Anaheim Ducks. This concept uses a few of the proposed logos from the 2006 rebrand. As you will see in the link below, there was multiple different looks that were proposed but these two logos were my personal favorite. The main jerseys are fairly similar to the actual Ducks jerseys from the rebrand but with some adjustments. The alternate jersey uses the shoulder logo on the front with a more basic design.

Link to to the story on these logos.

ernR7X2.jpg

0s8Fcyw.jpg

Next up is the Ottawa Senators using the proposed logo from 1989. This logo was used on some promo materials as well as a prototype jersey when Ottawa was still bidding for an NHL Team. This logo was thankfully dropped before the team hit the ice as it does a terrible job at being a professional hockey team's logo. The jerseys they showed off were also very generic. My concept keeps the logo but gives the jerseys a little more personality. Specifically the third jersey which has a dual chest stripe that the text in the logo fits perfectly in.

Link to the story on this proposed logo

WD0A8nU.jpg

jswtPJg.jpg

Next up is the Washington Capitals. This concept uses a prototype logo from 1995 that was ultimately beaten out by the blue and gold screaming eagle. This logo is very strange and I'm definitely glad it didn't see the light of day. That being said, this concept tries to follow the trends of the mid 90s by going a bit outside the box with an abundance of black and pointed stripes down the arms. The third jersey goes full 90's and full American with a giant eagle head emerging from the USA flag.

This logo can be found on the mothership along with another unused logo concept.

IOUXEnN.jpg

S6JWgy3.jpg

Next up is the Florida Panthers. This concept uses a proposed logo from the 1993 expansion. This logo is very different from what the team ended up going with and tried to capitalize on the popularity of colors of the Florida Marlins at the time. I also modified the inaugural palm tree shoulder patch to fit with the primary logo better. The jerseys use a unique sunburst style effect on the sleeves with some angled striping. the third jersey is bright yellow to represent the sunshine state.

Link to the story on this proposed logo.

qFNydLR.jpg

fuzLkWO.jpg

Archived