NHL Prototype Series (Golden Knights Added Jan 15)

72freebie

45 minutes ago, 72freebie said:

Next up is another concept for the New Jersey Devils. This is based on jersey I found online that I don't think is an actual prototype but was instead made up for the New Jersey Devils Fan Club called the Devils Den. I'm not sure if this was ever used for that but it was put on a jersey shown below and either way I thought the logo was really cool and that it could work for a 90s style Devils concept. This concept goes with a fire pattern along the hem and arms and focused more on black. The third jersey is a more basic and sharp design.

m3PbDYc.jpg

x88Urgl.jpg

yooI9Hv.jpg

Awesome. I haven't seen that logo since the Meadowlands days. Reminds me of this logo too with the side view.

spacer.png

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up is another Phoenix Coyotes Concept. This one uses a prototype logo from the team's 2003 rebrand. This logo was one of many prototypes for what would become the coyote head logo that is still used by the team today. This prototype logo is different then the final version but I really don't think it's a worse logo overall. The jersey design is similar to the striping from the rebrand but adding more sand and black to the color scheme to make everything pop a little more. I never liked how the Coyotes only used red and white for so long.

Link to the Icethetics prototype video. The logo can be seen at 4:52

MkxfZSq.jpg

2NbwRq3.jpg

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

Next up is a concept for the Dallas Stars using a set of prototype logos from their 2013 rebrand. This set is very different from what they ended up using and features a roundel primary with a blue, red, and gold color scheme. The primary jerseys feature a unique chest stripe and the 3rd jersey uses the Texas logo on the front with a Texas flag inspired design on the sleeves. 

Link to the Icethetics video which shows these logos and some other concepts at 5:56 in the video.

k94W3Ky.jpg

O7GJO9A.jpg

Next up is the Hampton Roads Rhinos. This was a proposed NHL expansion team in 1996 that was set to play in Norfolk, Virginia. The team never came to be and has lived in infamy ever since. The proposed logo from the team is obviously quite hideous and would have easily been the league's worst team logo if the team had used it on the ice. The cartoon rhino and wordmark look more suitable for a beer league squad then a professional franchise. My concept uses a sharp design with curved stripes that come down from the arms to the hem. The alternate jersey uses the wordmark on the front with striping that cuts the jersey colors in half.

Link to some info on this proposed team

Z0Y9gss.jpg

MdtCm9t.jpg

Next up is another concept for the Canucks. This time using a logo that was proposed for the 1997 rebrand. This logo uses an early version of the orca with a very interesting color scheme of blue, yellow and black. I'm a big fan of this logo and color scheme and I think I may actually like it better than what the team went with. For the jerseys the home and away use a V striping across the hem and arms with the unique blue color taking center stage. The third jersey is a bit of a throwback to the Flying V jerseys of the 80s with the new color scheme.

Link to the icethetics NHL Prototypes video. This Canucks logo is shown at 5:11 into the video.

zPVxPJu.jpg

mXD0lcZ.jpg

Wow, what a cool series and so many great concepts! bravissimo 👍

My favorites are St. Louis Blues, Anaheim Ducks and both Vancouver Canucks ones.

Especially love the Orca Canucks logo/colors and it including the V as well. Just the word mark style isn't my favorite choice.

Next up is another Washington Capitals concept. This time using a prototype Weagle logo from the 2007 rebrand. I think I like the version that they went with a little more than this prototype but this one still does the job well. The jerseys are similar to the Capitals Reebok Edge jerseys bit with the design going all the way up the arms and having more defined side panels. The third jersey is a bit of an update the Capitals original jerseys with the updated logo and stars on the front.

Link to the Icetheics NHL Prototype video. This logo appears at 7:25

gBnEcIl.jpg

Kwx47Dn.jpg

Next up is the Minnesota Wild. This concept uses logos that were prototypes in the team's inaugural season. Follow this link to see all of the really cool unused logos and jerseys that the Wild considered. Personally I'm a big fan of all of them. This concept uses a fairly simple striping pattern on the home and away but makes the stripes jagged and rough. The third jersey uses a tree pattern on the hem which is something I always wished the Wild would have done on a jersey.

3Kl9XXy.jpg

2rNX5oK.jpg

1 hour ago, 72freebie said:

Next up is the Minnesota Wild. This concept uses logos that were prototypes in the team's inaugural season. Follow this link to see all of the really cool unused logos and jerseys that the Wild considered. Personally I'm a big fan of all of them. This concept uses a fairly simple striping pattern on the home and away but makes the stripes jagged and rough. The third jersey uses a tree pattern on the hem which is something I always wished the Wild would have done on a jersey.

3Kl9XXy.jpg

2rNX5oK.jpg

I'm glad they went with their current colour scheme, because this looks depressingly garbage. The striping is cool to look at, especially with the third jersey. It's just that the colour choice that kills the whole set. If you remove black here and brighten up the rest a bit, this wouldn't be a bad jersey set.

• 3 weeks later...

Next up is a double dose of the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Penguins rebrand in 1992 to the robo penguin was a very long road as online there are tons of different logo and jersey concepts that can be found. There are so many unique concepts with some cartoonish penguins and some amazingly wild 90s jerseys. I decided to pick my 2 favorite logos of the bunch for my concepts.

Here is a twitter image with some great images of the prototypes

Here is an Icethetics link to an article on some of the prototypes

First up is a concept using a sleek penguin head logo. I decided to bring back powder blue as it's something I could have seen the Penguins doing in the 90s. The jersey design is a little unconventional with some curved striping that follows the logo.

bkJOCJ2.jpg 

yL9lKMg.jpg

The second concept goes a very different route that is much darker with an aggressive buff penguin logo and a vegas gold, black and grey color scheme.

jLgljJo.png

fFgMmtf.jpg

Next up is the Block Busters. This is a proposed team from the 1993 expansion where the owner of Blockbuster video wanted to buy an NHL team and name them after his business. This idea never panned out but there was a logo and jersey shown off. As far as I can tell, a city was never named as the host for this team so they are simply known as the Block Busters. The home and away jerseys are a fairly simple design with horizontal sleeve stripes that merge into a vertical stripe. The third jersey takes inspiration for the Blockbuster video logo with the wordmark and striping.

3E7phqd.jpg

jobAo9N.jpg

17 hours ago, 72freebie said:

Next up is the Block Busters. This is a proposed team from the 1993 expansion where the owner of Blockbuster video wanted to buy an NHL team and name them after his business. 

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

17 hours ago, 72freebie said:

Next up is the Block Busters. This is a proposed team from the 1993 expansion where the owner of Blockbuster video wanted to buy an NHL team and name them after his business. This idea never panned out but there was a logo and jersey shown off. As far as I can tell, a city was never named as the host for this team so they are simply known as the Block Busters. The home and away jerseys are a fairly simple design with horizontal sleeve stripes that merge into a vertical stripe. The third jersey takes inspiration for the Blockbuster video logo with the wordmark and striping.

3E7phqd.jpg

jobAo9N.jpg

It was Miami. Wayne Huizenga was granted the rights to the franchise that was going to become the Florida Panthers eventually. But, after seeing Disney name their team the Mighty Ducks after a movie, he wanted the Block Busters for obvious reasons.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived