NHL Prototype Series (Golden Knights Added Jan 15)

72freebie

3 hours ago, heavybass said:

Yeah they would of been known as the Florida Blockbusters

Why don't you just call them the Busters? Like "bust a move"? The nickname would work in minor league level (at best), but I wouldn't object it if someone chooses a name like Buster?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Why don't you just call them the Busters? Like "bust a move"? The nickname would work in minor league level (at best), but I wouldn't object it if someone chooses a name like Buster?

Free advertising talks. Imagine where Netflix and Block Buster would be right now if this team existed.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 3/11/2021 at 8:45 PM, Blindsay said:

Free advertising talks. Imagine where Netflix and Block Buster would be right now if this team existed.

Maybe Blockbuster is where we stream movies now.

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

Next up is another LA Kings concept. This concept uses a prototype version of the "Burger King" Logo that was originally meant to serve as the primary logo in a Kings rebrand. The color scheme was originally meant to be gold, silver, and black but was changed to purple when the logo was brought back up to be used on the Kings 3rd jersey in 1996. The jerseys keep the sash design from the 3rd jersey but the rest is a little more basic and doesn't use gradients like the original. The 3rd jersey goes back to the vintage purple and yellow as a combination of eras.

Link to the Icethetics 90's prototypes video. Many versions of the Burger king logo can be seen at 5:39

znMjELS.jpg

zwQpDOX.jpg

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

On 1/25/2021 at 7:18 PM, 72freebie said:

Next up is the Hampton Roads Rhinos. This was a proposed NHL expansion team in 1996 that was set to play in Norfolk, Virginia. The team never came to be and has lived in infamy ever since. The proposed logo from the team is obviously quite hideous and would have easily been the league's worst team logo if the team had used it on the ice. The cartoon rhino and wordmark look more suitable for a beer league squad then a professional franchise. My concept uses a sharp design with curved stripes that come down from the arms to the hem. The alternate jersey uses the wordmark on the front with striping that cuts the jersey colors in half.

Link to some info on this proposed team

Z0Y9gss.jpg

MdtCm9t.jpg

This would have fit right in with the Roller Hockey league uniforms & logos I've seen.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

On 1/22/2021 at 12:05 AM, 72freebie said:

Next up is another Phoenix Coyotes Concept. This one uses a prototype logo from the team's 2003 rebrand. This logo was one of many prototypes for what would become the coyote head logo that is still used by the team today. This prototype logo is different then the final version but I really don't think it's a worse logo overall. The jersey design is similar to the striping from the rebrand but adding more sand and black to the color scheme to make everything pop a little more. I never liked how the Coyotes only used red and white for so long.

Link to the Icethetics prototype video. The logo can be seen at 4:52

MkxfZSq.jpg

2NbwRq3.jpg

Can I see what this would look like with the light jersey being sand instead of white?

• 3 weeks later...

Next up is yet another 90s concept for the Flyers. This concept comes from a set of logos that were just recently shown off in Icethetics NHL Prototypes video. These logos were part of the design process to try and bring teal into the Flyers color palette. The primary logo this time features a modified version of a wordmark logo that the team considered and also a liberty bell logo that went unused.

Link to the Icethetics Prototype Video. Logos can be seen from 8:02 to 8:15

Mdu2Ysy.jpg

1uf8jp3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 3:16 AM, Stampman said:

This would have fit right in with the Roller Hockey league uniforms & logos I've seen.

Speaking of roller hockey, the San Jose Rhinos did a much better job on a rhino logo with both the primary and shoulder patch:

spacer.png

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

10 hours ago, greyraven8 said:

Speaking of roller hockey, the San Jose Rhinos did a much better job on a rhino logo with both the primary and shoulder patch:

spacer.png

Hey RHL Modernized should be the next idea!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

• 7 months later...

Merry Christmas everyone. It's been a while but thank to Icethetics there is once again some more material for me to continue this series. The Icethetics YouTube channel uploaded a part three to their prototype series last month and it showed off a few more unused logo that I had never seen before and I instantly wanted to make up some concepts with them. 

For today's post because it's Christmas I have four concepts to present to you. All of them for the Atlanta Thrashers. At 8:02 in the video there are 4 very clear concept logos that the Thrashers were once considering. All of them very different from each other in color schemes and composition. 

First is my personal favorite logo which uses a lime green, purple, and black color scheme. I'm thinking this logo would have never made it into the NHL but it's fun to speculate. The jerseys have a sharp wing inspired design with the Third jersey going full out with a large bird from the logo on the front.

3fBpxR5.jpg

QfMPstl.jpg

Second is a super cool logo with a more serious bird logo in a black, blue, orange, and red color scheme. This is one that I could have seen possibly making the NHL and it would have made for a very unique look in the league. The jerseys use some angled striping that I think would have fit in the NHL just fine at the time.

DqpvWih.jpg

4YQgthT.jpg

The third concept is also one of my favorites with a stylized swoosh thrasher logo. The gold, red, and teal color scheme is also really cool. The curved  striping follows the logo and emphasizes the unique color of red.

3ogJ2Lv.jpg

8T1TaBD.jpg

The last concept uses probably my least favorite logo of the bunch as it's a little thought to tell exactly what's going on. That being said, I do really like the color scheme and I think it makes for some nice looking jerseys. The half red, half teal third jersey sticks out in the set and I think this could have been a really cool looking jersey on the ice in the early 2000s.

65yCm6B.jpg

uKsrKWf.jpg

That does it for this post but luckily I still have a few more concepts to show in the coming weeks so make sure to stay tuned. I'm super excited to be working on this series again and I hope you enjoy!

• 72freebie changed the title to NHL Prototype Series (Thrashers Concepts Added Dec 25)

I like all four of these concepts! The blue third jersey from the second set is my favourite, but the creativity of the top set is great.

This whole series is very good, I think the Panthers and Whalers are the best so far.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

Next Up is a concept for the New York Rangers which was a prototype logo from lady liberty jersey from the 90s. This logo featuring an NY inside of a shield with the lady liberty crown at the top is a very interesting logo and I think it would have made a great shoulder on the actual lady liberty jerseys. This concept uses some angled striping with the navy, red, and grey color scheme. The third jersey opts for a red base with a sharp diagonal wordmark which pays tribute to the main jerseys that the Rangers have worn for so long.

The logo is seen for a brief moment at 2:30 in Icethetics video.

gAmrL95.jpg

Bou8qPz.jpg

• 72freebie changed the title to NHL Prototype Series (Rangers Added Dec 27)

Next is a concept using an unused Columbus blue jackets logo.  This logo was likely meant to serve as a third jersey logo but I think it could have also worked fine as a primary. The concept uses fairly basic striping with some unique striping at the top front of the jersey near the shoulders. The stars that have always appeared on Blue Jackets jerseys are moved up to the shoulders. The third jersey uses the current third jersey's color scheme as in Icethetics prototype video, it looks like they were considering using this logo in both color schemes.

QvToAu2.jpg

T8b05mM.jpg

• 72freebie changed the title to NHL Prototype Series (Blue Jackets Added Dec 30)

Next up  is another concept for the Phoenix Coyotes. This time using an unused Kachina logo. This version of the logo has a couple of minor differences with the final product with the biggest being the addition of sunglasses the coyote's face. Looking at this version I would say the Coyotes maybe weren't going to go full kachina with this brand originally and might not have gone with the iconic striping from their original jerseys. I ended up going wit a full on Arizona desert look based on the 90s third jersey as I think it fits with the sunglasses and would have been a fun look in the league at the time. The color scheme is simplified removing red and purple and promoting brown and sand to main colors. The third jersey has a green base with the sun rays from the Arizona state flag sublimated into the background.

Link to this logo in the Icethetics prototype logo video

5UKqt4W.jpg

jDvWR8f.jpg

• 72freebie changed the title to NHL Prototype Series (Coyotes Added Jan 2)
  • 2 weeks later...

Next up is a concept using an unused Vegas Golden Knights logo and color scheme. This is much different from what the team went with but I'm personally a big fan. I kept the floral pattern from the current Vegas jerseys but added a little more red to blend in with the hills in the logo. The third jersey uses a neon sign version of the logo with some striping to match.

Logo is seen at 7:03 in the icethetics prototypes video

9LviORF.jpg

nN82CNX.jpg

• 72freebie changed the title to NHL Prototype Series (Golden Knights Added Jan 15)

I really love that red alt for Vegas, I definitely think I prefer that neon sign style more than the actual primary you used. I think that makes for a really cool and unique call out to Vegas without being so direct about it. Really love the striping pattern on that third too, I think incorporating that on to the home and away as well would be a nice touch. 

Archived