NHL Prototype Series (Golden Knights Added Jan 15)

72freebie

I have to say, all the prototype series logos and uniforms are amazing and simply WOW! Some of the teams need to go that route but others are just fanastic! 

ONE thing, I noticed the LA Kings prototype logo.. didnt I see that in a pic posted of the Beverley Hills hillbilly series years ago where Jeb the character in that tv show was walking down the stairs in goalie equipment and his jersey had that logo on it I think? Please correct me if I am mistaken on that.. 

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up is the Rocky Mountain Extreme (commonly known as the Colorado Avalanche nowadays). This was a proposed identity for the Avalanche in 1995 which has gained some publicity in the past few years. This name and logo set screams 90's and I really love it. The team never showed off a color scheme so I kept the Avs colors as they are one of my favorite in the NHL. The home an away jerseys are similar to the Avs jerseys of the era but much more going on to fit the team name. The third jersey features a giant X that spans across the front of the jersey and onto the arms.

Link to the story on the Extreme logos.

V23RXFe.jpg

heby3Vd.jpg

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

On 12/24/2020 at 3:43 PM, 72freebie said:

Next up is the St. Louis Blues concept featuring a sort of mix between some proposed concepts for the 1995 season. This concept uses the very unique pink and blue idea shown below combined with the logo from the bottom left concept. I really like the idea of the double blue concept in the top right but pink was the definite winner for me. The design is similar to what the blues went with just with a few more stripes and of course, more pink. The third jersey is an idea based of the blues proposed 3rd jersey from 1996 that never saw the light of day. This concept uses a full pink base and brings down the trumpet idea from the original jersey but would still fit right into the 90s.

Proposed concepts

bbNgpP4.jpg

IjNM3mP.jpg

8ymkLAF.jpg

I abosolutely LOVE the logos and jersey designs! I admit I'm not feeling the pink. however. 

N3d5IIl.png

On 12/24/2020 at 3:43 PM, 72freebie said:

Next up is the St. Louis Blues concept featuring a sort of mix between some proposed concepts for the 1995 season. This concept uses the very unique pink and blue idea shown below combined with the logo from the bottom left concept. I really like the idea of the double blue concept in the top right but pink was the definite winner for me. The design is similar to what the blues went with just with a few more stripes and of course, more pink. The third jersey is an idea based of the blues proposed 3rd jersey from 1996 that never saw the light of day. This concept uses a full pink base and brings down the trumpet idea from the original jersey but would still fit right into the 90s.

Proposed concepts

bbNgpP4.jpg

IjNM3mP.jpg

8ymkLAF.jpg

I absolutely LOVE the logos and jersey designs! I admit I'm not feeling the pink. however. 

N3d5IIl.png

On 12/30/2020 at 7:40 PM, 72freebie said:

Next up is the Los Angeles Kings using a proposed logo from the 1967 expansion. The jersey below shows a prototype of what the team was considering wearing for their inaugural season. The logo isn't bad by any means and fits the time period. 

5nwYWLG.jpg

My concept uses a bit of a different striping pattern as well as keeps both the yellow and purple pants that the Kings wore through the 70s. 

nwNFogN.jpg

UREp7Pk.jpg

That secondary logo with the LA initials in the crown could've easily been a primary crest, at least at the beginning.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, NorthStar74 said:

I have to say, all the prototype series logos and uniforms are amazing and simply WOW! Some of the teams need to go that route but others are just fanastic! 

ONE thing, I noticed the LA Kings prototype logo.. didnt I see that in a pic posted of the Beverley Hills hillbilly series years ago where Jeb the character in that tv show was walking down the stairs in goalie equipment and his jersey had that logo on it I think? Please correct me if I am mistaken on that.. 

Likely the Los Angeles Monarchs of the PCHL.

Don't have time right now to dig much but here's one photo online

https://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/photos/id/18268/rec/1

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Next up is a whole proposed NHL franchise, the Toronto Legacy. The Legacy were a proposed team in the late 2000's that would serve as a rival to the Leafs. The idea never got too far but the team did make a logo and jersey to show off. The logo is very average to say the least and is pretty much the most basic approach you could take at branding a hockey team in Toronto. The jerseys I came up with utilize more grey as it would make them stand out a little more to all of the other red teams in the league. The third black jersey features the Toronto skyline from the primary logo on the hem.

Link to a story on the Toronto Legacy

2bPRHfs.jpg

fpr2OcJ.jpg

4 hours ago, greyraven8 said:

Likely the Los Angeles Monarchs of the PCHL.

Don't have time right now to dig much but here's one photo online

https://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/photos/id/18268/rec/1

Ah ya might be right.. I have to wonder if the PCHL Monarchs did give some hints as to the logos and etc for the NHL Kings later on? I bet that might be a subtle thing, like extending the lineage and the theme of the king crown used?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Next up is the Hartford Whalers. This concept uses a set of logos that were a few of many considered for when the Whalers cam into the NHL from the WHA. Many of the concepts shown in this article are earlier versions of what the Whalers would end up going with but the one I chose is something very different. This logo features two abstract whales that form a W. The concepts shown also show a blue and orange color scheme. The Whalers obviously didn't go with this but I though it would be fun to use for this concept. I'm thinking the Whalers maybe went with blue and green to differentiate themselves from the Islanders and Oilers. To deal with that I prioritized orange over blue in this concept with an orange primary jersey and helmet to give them a unique look to the NHL.

bLbdRey.jpg

EslttV6.jpg

The "Legacy" has to be the most ill-conceived name for a franchise that's a.) brand new, and b.) sharing a city with a franchise that already has a legacy. Plus it's just an awful name that doesn't lend itself to a good identity (hence the ultra-generic logo and color scheme). I'd ask what they were thinking, but this is the NHL. They weren't thinking.

That being said, their plan to make ticket prices significantly more affordable than the Leafs was a smart idea. Cheaper tickets were a big reason why the Clippers were able to build a fanbase in LA. On the other hand, I'm not sure how they expected to attract a fanbase by proudly announcing that they wanted to be the Leafs' "little brother," not a competitor.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Absolutely love that Whalers concept... Logos are so cool, especially that secondary, and those uniforms are sexy, I love the big bold arm stripes. Really love the orange, but I'd love to see it in the classic whalers colors, just for reference.

Next up is the Tampa Bay Lightning. This is a concept that I recently found in Icethetics wonderful video on NHL Prototypes. There are a few concepts coming up in this series inspired by this video. The sketches are seen at 5:34. These logos for the Lightning were just sketches but there are some really cool concepts in here for the rebrand in 2011. I picked the Zeus inspired logo for the primary as I really like the uniqueness of it and how it would stick out in the NHL. The secondary is the TB lightning logo shown in the sketches which also appears on the third jersey. The home and away jersey are pretty tame similar to most of Tampa's jerseys in their history. The lightning bolt is still on the pants and also appears on the shoulders. The third jersey goes a bit out of the comfort zone with some more jagged lightning striping.

jUWhLmM.jpg

KHl1RwB.jpg

On 12/17/2020 at 10:38 PM, 72freebie said:

Next up is the Florida Panthers. This concept uses a proposed logo from the 1993 expansion. This logo is very different from what the team ended up going with and tried to capitalize on the popularity of colors of the Florida Marlins at the time. I also modified the inaugural palm tree shoulder patch to fit with the primary logo better. The jerseys use a unique sunburst style effect on the sleeves with some angled striping. the third jersey is bright yellow to represent the sunshine state.

Link to the story on this proposed logo.

qFNydLR.jpg

fuzLkWO.jpg

This is pretty great!

On 1/9/2021 at 11:27 PM, 72freebie said:

Next up is the Hartford Whalers. This concept uses a set of logos that were a few of many considered for when the Whalers cam into the NHL from the WHA. Many of the concepts shown in this article are earlier versions of what the Whalers would end up going with but the one I chose is something very different. This logo features two abstract whales that form a W. The concepts shown also show a blue and orange color scheme. The Whalers obviously didn't go with this but I though it would be fun to use for this concept. I'm thinking the Whalers maybe went with blue and green to differentiate themselves from the Islanders and Oilers. To deal with that I prioritized orange over blue in this concept with an orange primary jersey and helmet to give them a unique look to the NHL.

bLbdRey.jpg

EslttV6.jpg

Oh wow... didnt think there would be a logo crest that combines 2 whales into the W shape but impressive!! I wonder how it looks in the old Whalers blue/green combo?

On 1/11/2021 at 7:47 PM, 72freebie said:

Next up is the Tampa Bay Lightning. This is a concept that I recently found in Icethetics wonderful video on NHL Prototypes. There are a few concepts coming up in this series inspired by this video. The sketches are seen at 5:34. These logos for the Lightning were just sketches but there are some really cool concepts in here for the rebrand in 2011. I picked the Zeus inspired logo for the primary as I really like the uniqueness of it and how it would stick out in the NHL. The secondary is the TB lightning logo shown in the sketches which also appears on the third jersey. The home and away jersey are pretty tame similar to most of Tampa's jerseys in their history. The lightning bolt is still on the pants and also appears on the shoulders. The third jersey goes a bit out of the comfort zone with some more jagged lightning striping.

jUWhLmM.jpg

KHl1RwB.jpg

These are really good! I loved that Icethetics video and I think Tampa Bay should have went with that look instead of their current design, which I find kinda boring.

Zzi6tDc.png

Next up is another concept for the New Jersey Devils. This is based on jersey I found online that I don't think is an actual prototype but was instead made up for the New Jersey Devils Fan Club called the Devils Den. I'm not sure if this was ever used for that but it was put on a jersey shown below and either way I thought the logo was really cool and that it could work for a 90s style Devils concept. This concept goes with a fire pattern along the hem and arms and focused more on black. The third jersey is a more basic and sharp design.

m3PbDYc.jpg

x88Urgl.jpg

yooI9Hv.jpg

Archived