Quebec Nordiques TV spot announcement

Sidney

I'd definately go with B out of those ones. Although the arc entrance is centered with the logo as a whole, maybe it just needs moving to the left slightly. (but that's probably just me, so take no notice!).

Regardless of my ramblings, B is looking pretty top notch there. Although I still prefer the italicised igloo from the previous update.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your original the best of them all.  I get what everyone was getting at with their suggestions, but in the end it ended up just being a re-colored version of their 80’s logo.  You’re going for an update/refresh/rebrand, and that needs to be more than just a re-color.  

The ramparts and more focus on the N and the more subtle stick/puck works for an update of a classic.  And as for an igloo not being italicized, it’s just a logo, not a photorealistic representation of what an igloo is.

11 hours ago, DukeofChutney said:

I'd definately go with B out of those ones. Although the arc entrance is centered with the logo as a whole, maybe it just needs moving to the left slightly. (but that's probably just me, so take no notice!).

Regardless of my ramblings, B is looking pretty top notch there. Although I still prefer the italicised igloo from the previous update.

Yh I feel pretty much the same, about that italic igloo/N it feels unique...

7 hours ago, mvk said:

I like your original the best of them all.  I get what everyone was getting at with their suggestions, but in the end it ended up just being a re-colored version of their 80’s logo.  You’re going for an update/refresh/rebrand, and that needs to be more than just a re-color.  

The ramparts and more focus on the N and the more subtle stick/puck works for an update of a classic.  And as for an igloo not being italicized, it’s just a logo, not a photorealistic representation of what an igloo is.

I've tried too much to pleased everyone and I've kind of lost my direction. As I said before, on every rebrand you got people that love it or hate it... I can't satisfied everybody, so if like 60% like the design I can live with that... ^^ 

It's a really tought try as the brand is iconic and feel like it's kind of difficult to change it a bit to be different but not too much neither.

hNa1bgX.png

Hmmm now there's a decision.

I'm still drawn to B - it feels like a refresh of the existing logo; something which the team could have likely have done if they had stayed in '95. C is still great and feels like the logo for the long awaited return of the team to the city. Its honouring the past whilst not just reverting to the old logo.

I agree with your comments about trying to please everyone. Its not easy, especially with an iconic brand as the Nordiques. If the league announced that as of tomorrow the team was coming back and will be using the original logo and colours, there'd probably be someone who'd complain that its 'stuck in the past' and 'nothing original'.

That's why I like this fresh take on the original - both B and C.

On 12/26/2020 at 11:18 AM, DukeofChutney said:

Hmmm now there's a decision.

I'm still drawn to B - it feels like a refresh of the existing logo; something which the team could have likely have done if they had stayed in '95. C is still great and feels like the logo for the long awaited return of the team to the city. Its honouring the past whilst not just reverting to the old logo.

I agree with your comments about trying to please everyone. Its not easy, especially with an iconic brand as the Nordiques. If the league announced that as of tomorrow the team was coming back and will be using the original logo and colours, there'd probably be someone who'd complain that its 'stuck in the past' and 'nothing original'.

That's why I like this fresh take on the original - both B and C.

I agree with you on everything, B & C are more the new Nordiques. A is the classic modernized with an other point of view. 

hNa1bgX.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think option B is good for main crest of home and road jersey.. option C might be shoulder logo? option A? ohh Im not sure about how that logo looks...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

On 1/3/2021 at 5:51 PM, NorthStar74 said:

I think option B is good for main crest of home and road jersey.. option C might be shoulder logo? option A? ohh Im not sure about how that logo looks...

Thanks! I agree with you, I'm still working on the main and the patch  that will possibly include that rempart idea. Not easy at all ^^

hNa1bgX.png

Hi guys here the main logo with a lil something more I've added the 3 lines to add that speed & movement to the logo. I've done my first alternative logo aswell with few ideas, First the particular shape is a combination of a shield (bottom) and a waving flag (top) , secondly inside you can the fortified idea and the sky during night, & to finish the fleur the lys symbol of the city plus the star to bring the nordic idea in the design. Yeah the shape is really "unique". Sooo what you guys think? C & C are appreciated!

i57uns0.jpg

hNa1bgX.png

The only thing I would say is that the first thing I saw was the state map of Ohio, not a flag/shield. I would suggest flipping the shape, and having it point up and you could also say it is a reference to the nordiques. The other thing is that I would extend those lines to the stick to emulate tape so that the lines don’t look like they’re coming from no where. Overall though, they both look good and would tie in nicely with the rest of the league should the nordiques ever come back.

Yeah I saw Ohio when I first saw that secondary logo. However the design itself is solid enough. Perhaps keep the style and the interior detail, but change the shape to a stylised outline of the Citadel?

I do like the revision on the original logo - does add more movement. Then again, I'm quite easy to please with this look - I still think its fantastic!

34 minutes ago, kb105 said:

The only thing I would say is that the first thing I saw was the state map of Ohio, not a flag/shield. I would suggest flipping the shape, and having it point up and you could also say it is a reference to the nordiques. The other thing is that I would extend those lines to the stick to emulate tape so that the lines don’t look like they’re coming from no where. Overall though, they both look good and would tie in nicely with the rest of the league should the nordiques ever come back.

Thanks trying my best to create something really different.Yh now that you mention it I see Ohio ^^.... I'll make few changements as you say and show how it's going.

13 minutes ago, DukeofChutney said:

Yeah I saw Ohio when I first saw that secondary logo. However the design itself is solid enough. Perhaps keep the style and the interior detail, but change the shape to a stylised outline of the Citadel?

I do like the revision on the original logo - does add more movement. Then again, I'm quite easy to please with this look - I still think its fantastic!

Thanks ^^ I'll try different combinations and see what works the best. ;)

hNa1bgX.png

2 hours ago, kb105 said:

Here is the version with longer lines. 

prdyhje.jpg

hNa1bgX.png

On 1/8/2021 at 7:08 PM, Sidney said:

Hi guys here the main logo with a lil something more I've added the 3 lines to add that speed & movement to the logo. I've done my first alternative logo aswell with few ideas, First the particular shape is a combination of a shield (bottom) and a waving flag (top) , secondly inside you can the fortified idea and the sky during night, & to finish the fleur the lys symbol of the city plus the star to bring the nordic idea in the design. Yeah the shape is really "unique". Sooo what you guys think? C & C are appreciated!

i57uns0.jpg

That 2nd logo... someone said it looks like the state of Ohio shaped.. I have to agree that is looking like that so how about putting that into the citadelle shape? is it doable? I do like what the shield looks...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

22 hours ago, NorthStar74 said:

That 2nd logo... someone said it looks like the state of Ohio shaped.. I have to agree that is looking like that so how about putting that into the citadelle shape? is it doable? I do like what the shield looks...

Thanks for the feedback it is doable, If I'm correct somebody has done it in a concept in this section...'m not totally sold by what I came with on sketches... Still working on it ^^

hNa1bgX.png

3 hours ago, DukeofChutney said:

I think the longer lines are better. And three lines matches the three feathers of the fleur-de-lys (yeah I'm stretching on that, but it sort of works!).

GENIUS ^^

hNa1bgX.png

Sidney, while I think you've done about as well as one can in updating the Quebec Nordiques' logo, it's my belief that you've taken on a thankless chore. Frankly, in my opinion, the logos that adorned the World Hockey Association's member-franchises were so tied to the design aesthetic of the early-to-mid 1970s that they're virtually impossible to "tweak" into a form that successfully appeals to modern sensibilities.

Further, I find some of the choices you've made in modernizing the Nordiques' "Igloo N" to be problematic.

First and foremost, I'm not a fan of adding "speed & movement" to a fixed structure such as a building. It didn't make sense when MiLB's San Antonio Missions did it to the Alamo in their logo package and it doesn't make sense here. It just looks like the structure is falling over. Generally speaking, unless your domicile is a mobile home or being trucked to a new location, you're ****ed if it's moving.

Second, while I understand that you opted to design your hockey stick in such a way as to tie into the rounded minimalist rendering of the igloo, the result is a piece of equipment that looks like the fusion of a typical ice hockey stick and a hurling camán.

Finally, the puck calls to mind the Fisher-Price logo of my youth.

c42JBXEt.jpg?1 Vyog6zst.jpg?1 NQBoRjwt.jpg Vyog6zst.jpg?1 NaPbQnVt.jpg?1 WuEkVpZt.jpg?1 vtqyY4lt.jpg?1      

Again, beautifully rendered, but I'm just not sure that the Nordiques' "Igloo N" is worth going to this much trouble to save.

I am intrigued by what you're building towards with that alternative mark. 

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

Sidney, while I think you've done about as well as one can in updating the Quebec Nordiques' logo, it's my belief that you've taken on a thankless chore. Frankly, in my opinion, the logos that adorned the World Hockey Association's member-franchises were so tied to the design aesthetic of the early-to-mid 1970s that they're virtually impossible to "tweak" into a form that successfully appeals to modern sensibilities.

Further, I find some of the choices you've made in modernizing the Nordiques' "Igloo N" to be problematic.

First and foremost, I'm not a fan of adding "speed & movement" to a fixed structure such as a building. It didn't make sense when MiLB's San Antonio Missions did it to the Alamo in their logo package and it doesn't make sense here. It just looks like the structure is falling over. Generally speaking, unless your domicile is a mobile home or being trucked to a new location, you're ****ed if it's moving.

Second, while I understand that you opted to design your hockey stick in such a way as to tie into the rounded minimalist rendering of the igloo, the result is a piece of equipment that looks like the fusion of a typical ice hockey stick and a hurling camán.

Finally, the puck calls to mind the Fisher-Price logo of my youth.

c42JBXEt.jpg?1 Vyog6zst.jpg?1 NQBoRjwt.jpg Vyog6zst.jpg?1 NaPbQnVt.jpg?1 WuEkVpZt.jpg?1 vtqyY4lt.jpg?1      

Again, beautifully rendered, but I'm just not sure that the Nordiques' "Igloo N" is worth going to this much trouble to save.

I am intrigued by what you're building towards with that alternative mark. 

Hi Brian,
Yeah it's a very difficult logo to "touch", as you said this brand is well established in the league and ppl mind. I have plenty versions possible still, I don't post every ideas because it's heading to an other direction.

Maybe I haven't explained myself properly, the igloo here is not moving. Only the elements that can as the stick and puck. In fact here it's more like these two elements are moving so fast that the igloo is deformed. just like a picture you know if something is going fast you've got the background blured.  Yh the blue puck looks a lot like the Skittles (the blue one)/ Fisher price logo, I can go back to my desk and see what I can improve. 

Someday I'll find "the idea" I'm not afraid to work on this whenever I got the chance ( don't worry I'm only working on this when I got free time) ;) 

And for the alternate same at some point I'll get '"the idea". 

Big companies are taking years to find the "perfect" logo, so I'll take my time and see how it goes...

hNa1bgX.png

Archived