Quebec Nordiques TV spot announcement

Sidney

Hi, I've been reading around many forums about people expecting the team return. Many believe that the iconic logo should stay as a primary, so I've decided to work on this and propose an other version of the this logo.

Watch the video of the logo reveal before (No music)  & check the rest under the video.

C&C are appreciated!  

JJJe6j0.png 

https://imgur.com/vDtPrUr

hNa1bgX.png

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DukeofChutney said:

This is probably one of the best Nordiques updates I've seen. It takes the classic and keeps the familiarity whilst providing a refresed look.

And the presentation is great too.

Now if only we can convince the league to return to the city...

Thanks I appreciate a lot because it's the kind of teams you're never sure about if you messed up the rebrand or not....  :D

For the presentation I've tried to push it further! 

Yeah that would be really cool 

hNa1bgX.png

5 hours ago, Sidney said:

Thanks I appreciate a lot because it's the kind of teams you're never sure about if you messed up the rebrand or not....  :D

Indeed. There a few teams that you can't really touch, or find it difficult to re-invision, as their look is iconic (Montreal or Boston in the NHL for example), and I'd say that the Nordiques are in that group or at the least near to that group.

The original logo is iconic, and it's very tricky to tackle something like that without it appearing as 'change-for-change-sake' or too much of a departure from the traditional.

That's what I like about this re-design. It does look like something Quebec would have chosen to replace the Wolf motif. Its believable that they would have chosen a look like this to refresh the team again, without just falling back to the old look.

5 hours ago, Sidney said:

For the presentation I've tried to push it further!

Would you mind if I ask - did you make that jersey template? I love the look of the 'mannaquin', makes the jerseys look 'lived in' - whereas some of the empty jerseys look just that; empty.

1 hour ago, jbird669 said:

This is really great! The presentation is spot on!

Thanks the worst part was the video it's not my cup of tea ^^

1 hour ago, DukeofChutney said:

Indeed. There a few teams that you can't really touch, or find it difficult to re-invision, as their look is iconic (Montreal or Boston in the NHL for example), and I'd say that the Nordiques are in that group or at the least near to that group.

The original logo is iconic, and it's very tricky to tackle something like that without it appearing as 'change-for-change-sake' or too much of a departure from the traditional.

That's what I like about this re-design. It does look like something Quebec would have chosen to replace the Wolf motif. Its believable that they would have chosen a look like this to refresh the team again, without just falling back to the old look.

Would you mind if I ask - did you make that jersey template? I love the look of the 'mannaquin', makes the jerseys look 'lived in' - whereas some of the empty jerseys look just that; empty.

No the template it's @NoE38_Conceptswho sent it to me both Illustrator and PSD. But I've rework the AI version to get layers to work faster & organize everything. I've added shadows, lightnings  and cleaned up a bit. look the Left side is the one I've received and the right one is with my modifications. 

seEqi5C.png

hNa1bgX.png

Great presentation, the uniforms and logo look well thought out. I especially like the fleur-de-lis use on the jerseys. It also definitely passes the visual test alongside the rest of the NHL logos. Love that double outline!

My only concern is the references and iconography of the original logo are being lost – the hockey stick and the igloo. I think you have to extend the royal blue shape serving as the hockey stick now to have a handle. Or connect it to the leg of the n to serve as the handle. The elongated and italicized n completely lose the igloo shape of the original (which to me also looks like a hockey rink?), and the counter that's supposed to be the door isn't really one – resulting in it just looking like an n.

Many people who would see this hypothetical rebrand would have no idea what the original logo looks like. I think if you're going to try to take inspiration from and reference it, the hidden imagery that made it so great in the first place still needs to read as such, not just abstractly referenced.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

1 hour ago, chestnutz said:

Great presentation, the uniforms and logo look well thought out. I especially like the fleur-de-lis use on the jerseys. It also definitely passes the visual test alongside the rest of the NHL logos. Love that double outline!

My only concern is the references and iconography of the original logo are being lost – the hockey stick and the igloo. I think you have to extend the royal blue shape serving as the hockey stick now to have a handle. Or connect it to the leg of the n to serve as the handle. The elongated and italicized n completely lose the igloo shape of the original (which to me also looks like a hockey rink?), and the counter that's supposed to be the door isn't really one – resulting in it just looking like an n.

Many people who would see this hypothetical rebrand would have no idea what the original logo looks like. I think if you're going to try to take inspiration from and reference it, the hidden imagery that made it so great in the first place still needs to read as such, not just abstractly referenced.

@chestnutzThanks, I get what you're saying, about the former logo. I've tried something different than what people are expecting, for the N & igloo maybe it's because my opening is to big or the global shape is too thin and you lose the igloo feeling. Here, I wanted something dynamic not just a logo standing and that's it. Here is a version with a smaller entrance, and better stick (or not). I'm also aware that a rebrand is never really satisfying 100% of the fans. So yeah some will like and some won't, I respect your opinion :) 

In this version it's wider, so you can see the igloo idea. I still feel like there is no need for the rest of the stick but that's only my opinion.

fd9Yejd.jpg

hNa1bgX.png

All I can say is wow.. that can be doable.. I wonder if there will be another jersey with the classic N logo as a heritage jersey? to be included in these jersey collections?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

10 hours ago, NorthStar74 said:

All I can say is wow.. that can be doable.. I wonder if there will be another jersey with the classic N logo as a heritage jersey? to be included in these jersey collections?

Thanks :) I wasn't sure about the heritage jersey as I've done the light blue with the new logo, maybe I can do it in white to get 2 blue & 2 white as I feel like it'd be better to wear the heritage at home games for special occasion?  

hNa1bgX.png

4 hours ago, sparky said:

Wow!...

Nicely done, Sidney!...Great concept and excellent presentation.

That 3rd jersey is beauty!!!!...Maybe should be their Away? 

Thank you Sparky I appreciate! I initially thought about changing the third and Away, but felt like because the Navy blue is predominant maybe make it the away, and for the fans since 1972 create a kind of nostalgia with the third being worn on some occasion. What you think? 

hNa1bgX.png

20 hours ago, NorthStar74 said:

10 hours ago, Sidney said:

Thanks :) I wasn't sure about the heritage jersey as I've done the light blue with the new logo, maybe I can do it in white to get 2 blue & 2 white as I feel like it'd be better to wear the heritage at home games for special occasion?  

cLMZVin.jpg

hNa1bgX.png

2 hours ago, Sidney said:

cLMZVin.jpg

That is excellent.... keeping everything as is .. I have to wonder about that black yoke line.. can it be changed to blend in with the jersey look? or is it only the templete jersey?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

10 hours ago, NorthStar74 said:

That is excellent.... keeping everything as is .. I have to wonder about that black yoke line.. can it be changed to blend in with the jersey look? or is it only the templete jersey?

^^It's the template I would love to get the 3D ones but can't find any decent and free. So untill I find one I'll have to stick with the template.

hNa1bgX.png

Archived