Quebec Nordiques TV spot announcement

Sidney

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, dscrocket5 said:

Great work have you seen the new Colorado Avalanche Retro Mashup Jersey the Avalanche will be using next season?

Yeah Saw it! the jersey looks good! what you think ?

hNa1bgX.png

Pretty good ideas here, and I appreciate that you went the extra mile to present it bilingually and help me get my French back.

I really like the addition of a darker shade of blue and the Quebec City flag border. I worry that the logo becomes too clever for its own good: in adding the ramparts, you keep the lowercase 'n' but lose the igloo. The hockey stick is implied, but not quite. And I know I got a bucket of crap for bringing this up with the San Antonio Missions' logo with the Italic Alamo, but why/how would ramparts ever be skewed?

The Nordiques' logo is strange in that it's not a brilliant piece of work -- lots of people mistake it for an elephant -- but it seems impossible to improve upon. I think once you "solve" it, i.e., figure out that it's a hockey stick and an igloo making an n, there's nothing else you can do with it, and besides, there's too much of an emotional valence to it now to do anything with it. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 12/13/2020 at 10:36 PM, the admiral said:

Pretty good ideas here, and I appreciate that you went the extra mile to present it bilingually and help me get my French back.

I really like the addition of a darker shade of blue and the Quebec City flag border. I worry that the logo becomes too clever for its own good: in adding the ramparts, you keep the lowercase 'n' but lose the igloo. The hockey stick is implied, but not quite. And I know I got a bucket of crap for bringing this up with the San Antonio Missions' logo with the Italic Alamo, but why/how would ramparts ever be skewed?

The Nordiques' logo is strange in that it's not a brilliant piece of work -- lots of people mistake it for an elephant -- but it seems impossible to improve upon. I think once you "solve" it, i.e., figure out that it's a hockey stick and an igloo making an n, there's nothing else you can do with it, and besides, there's too much of an emotional valence to it now to do anything with it. 

@the admiral Yh doing both explanations French & English is a long work ^^

Have you take a look on the version I've tried on the 1st page? I've tried to make the entry door thinner to get the igloo effect. I think it's kind of visible but this is prob of the N leaning movement.

Indeed it looks like an elephant.

About the hockey stick I understand what you say.  

I'll get back to my drawing board and try to improve this... 

hNa1bgX.png

3 minutes ago, Sidney said:

Quick update  C&C are appreciated!

F1mDHz6.jpg

I loved the presentation. You put a lot of thought and effort into how to create a modern representation of the Nordiques and I believe you mostly succeeded in your initial product. As much as I value the uniqueness of your first logo, @the admiral brings up a good point that it becomes too clever for its own good. Your updated logo feels more spot on. However I wonder what this would look like with the bottom-skewed line removed and the stick moved over slightly to the right. Maybe it's me but your outline feels a little too thick for such a tight squeeze near the opening of the igloo. It's a minor thing, yes, and may be just a personal preference. But I think it could help make the overall logo breathe well.

I think you knocked this concept out of the park, though. Adding a darker shade of blue adds a nice balance to the original color scheme, too. 

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

i actually like the first version with the rampart.  It moves to more of a connection the Quebec while the other lines still give the igloo feel of the original.  However, the update looks good too and the league view is maybe one of the first times i've seen someone do that where their concept logo fits in nicely and didn't stick out.  

A suggestion for the igloo snow brick design, perhaps it would work better to be a shade of navy so it sort of blends in more as a finer detail.  I'm thinking of what the Golden Knights did with the filigree in their logo.  this could allow you to have a little more of it as well without getting in the way of the overall design.

The uniforms don't do as much for me.  I agree with sparky that the lighter blue would look better as the home jersey though.  It helps the logo stand out more.  I'd like to see something different for the home and aways with a less obvious reference to the originals, and then maybe save the throwback elements for the alternate.  A navy/white throwback would look slick.  

I'm probably going to sound like I'm sitting on the fence, but the original and the two revisions are both excellent.

Although I like the addition of the brick pattern, I think it might loose something in a smaller scale - so the the left revision logo is probably the way to go.

That being said, I think its worth keeping the brick idea for a secondary logo of some sort. Definatly something to explore there - same with the crenellation/ramparts.

Hi, sorry was busy these days...

On 12/18/2020 at 4:35 AM, the admiral said:

It still does not make sense for an igloo to be skewed. An igloo is solid and upright; it wouldn't be blowing away if it were any good at being an igloo.

I get you... Any other issues or that's the main one?

On 12/18/2020 at 4:12 PM, B-mer said:

i actually like the first version with the rampart.  It moves to more of a connection the Quebec while the other lines still give the igloo feel of the original.  However, the update looks good too and the league view is maybe one of the first times i've seen someone do that where their concept logo fits in nicely and didn't stick out.  

A suggestion for the igloo snow brick design, perhaps it would work better to be a shade of navy so it sort of blends in more as a finer detail.  I'm thinking of what the Golden Knights did with the filigree in their logo.  this could allow you to have a little more of it as well without getting in the way of the overall design.

The uniforms don't do as much for me.  I agree with sparky that the lighter blue would look better as the home jersey though.  It helps the logo stand out more.  I'd like to see something different for the home and aways with a less obvious reference to the originals, and then maybe save the throwback elements for the alternate.  A navy/white throwback would look slick.  

Thanks I appreciate! I 'm still working on my uniforms I'm not that happy with the design, I'm not used of Hockey uniforms so I'm watching other teams designs etc.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:18 AM, woody86 said:

Seattle be like: “hold my pumpkin spice Frappuccino” 

LOVE IT!! I've forgotten that they were coming.... My bad ^^

On 12/19/2020 at 12:57 PM, DukeofChutney said:

I'm probably going to sound like I'm sitting on the fence, but the original and the two revisions are both excellent.

Although I like the addition of the brick pattern, I think it might loose something in a smaller scale - so the the left revision logo is probably the way to go.

That being said, I think its worth keeping the brick idea for a secondary logo of some sort. Definatly something to explore there - same with the crenellation/ramparts.

I wasn't 100% sure about the bricks design, but feel like it can be used on the secondary as you said.

6 hours ago, Midwest_surfer said:

I like the new one with the bricks. I think it bridges the gap the best between new and old design

Thanks you!  I keep working on it to improve some areas, feel like I got the global idea here. Just need few changements and I think I got a solid concept. 

hNa1bgX.png

Ok here is the straight igloo... I don't personally like this much as I'm heading to a different direction. I've tried an other point of view for the C version in order to get something different I'm trying to fight the elephant morphology & get some dynamism.  What you guys think? 

cXAis89.jpg

hNa1bgX.png

Archived