North American Pro Soccer 2021

Brian in Boston

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/7/2021 at 5:47 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Gotham has been used since the time it was part of the English colonies. Washington Irving even referred to New York by this name.  

https://untappedcities.com/2020/01/31/why-is-new-york-city-called-gotham-a-nickname-with-a-millennium-of-history/#:~:text=The name Gotham actually means,home to approximately 1%2C600 people.

which is why “New York/New Jersey Gotham FC” is profoundly stupid.  

I get that the owner is the governor and fears blowback from insecure Jerseyites, but either embrace your home or go all the way and actually pretend you live somewhere else.  Don’t put both feet on one side of the river and try to keep a toe on the other. 

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

which is why “New York/New Jersey Gotham FC” is profoundly stupid.  

I get that the owner is the governor and fears blowback from insecure Jerseyites, but either embrace your home or go all the way and actually pretend you live somewhere else.  Don’t put both feet on one side of the river and try to keep a toe on the other. 

And by the end of the year NJ/NY will probably be cut off and it'll just be Gotham FC. Though the reason it's NJ/NY Gotham FC is because there's a youth team already using Gotham FC.

http://gothamboys.website.sportssignup.com/

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/soccer/fc-cincinnati/2021/04/09/sources-fc-cincinnati-trade-frankie-amaya-new-york-red-bulls/7119698002/

FC Cincinnati traded Frankie Amaya to the Red Bulls. He was their first ever MLS draft pick, but never really clicked playing on a couple bad teams and last season was weird as hell for everyone.  I never got the sense he felt comfortable here.

Also, Anthony Precourt is up to his old tricks. Good luck, Austin. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, Sport said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/soccer/fc-cincinnati/2021/04/09/sources-fc-cincinnati-trade-frankie-amaya-new-york-red-bulls/7119698002/

FC Cincinnati traded Frankie Amaya to the Red Bulls. He was their first ever MLS draft pick, but never really clicked playing on a couple bad teams and last season was weird as hell for everyone.  I never got the sense he felt comfortable here.

Also, Anthony Precourt is up to his old tricks. Good luck, Austin. 

Dr. Pete dropped a pretty good "trophy hunter" burn earlier this week as well. MLS needs to kick this idiot out instead of whitewashing the Austin situation like it was the Glorious Revolution, which was itself a gigantic whitewash but no one will admit that either. He did this in Columbus too and was surprised that people would rather be paid for what they do instead of counting on him broadcasting their name on the scoreboard. Glad to see he's keeping his word to be a good tenant in Austin.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

And by the end of the year NJ/NY will probably be cut off and it'll just be Gotham FC. Though the reason it's NJ/NY Gotham FC is because there's a youth team already using Gotham FC.

http://gothamboys.website.sportssignup.com/

If they couldn't buy the name before they started merchandising it, I don't know how buying it gets any easier.  Unless they think the NYC youth team will go under.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

If they couldn't buy the name before they started merchandising it, I don't know how buying it gets any easier.  Unless they think the NYC youth team will go under.

I'm saying announcers and the like will probably cut it off because of how awkward NJ/NY Gotham sounds. I'm sure they could have bought the name but didn't come to a number that appealed to the youth leagues. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It’s awkward but in practice it’ll work; they get the legal clearance and the monogram merch out of the NJ/NY, but the snappy “Gotham” colloquial name.

Fits right in with the NYC area’s long history of bizarrely clunky and overthought soccer team names.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Looks like Sacramento is still trying to make a go of it. I still get TeamWork Online emails and today I got one saying they’re taking applications for the role of Manager, Member Services.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

https://www.concacaf.com/gold-cup/article/las-vegas-awarded-2021-concacaf-gold-cup-final/

Las Vegas will host the 2021 Gold Cup final at Allegiant Stadium on August 1st. This means the US players on teams in Europe will most likely not be involved in the tournament, but will be available for September World Cup qualifying. The tournament starts on July 10th. 

Portland and Atlanta made the quarterfinals of the CCL. Portland ripped up Marathon 5-0 and Atlanta united struggled to be beat Alajulense 2-0. Three more games tonight, and two more tomorrow. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Charlotte FC has announced that they'll be broadcasting their inaugural season for free in both English and Spanish over Cox Media affiliates in the Carolinas. WSOC (ABC Charlotte), Telemundo Charlotte, and TV64 will all broadcast games.

Very excited for this, it should help people see the club and get excited, especially if they can't get tickets (please get rid of PSLs).

the user formerly known as cdclt

8 hours ago, QCS said:

Very excited for this, it should help people see the club and get excited, especially if they can't get tickets (please get rid of PSLs).

One thing I thought that was critical to the Sounders' early success was the ease of going to the games. You could get into the building for comparatively way less than other local major league sports, and there were even deals to be had from there. I.e., they had an "all-inclusive" family section, where you could get as much soda, fries, hot dogs and chicken fingers you wanted. (I sat there once. The teenage boys who sat in front of us had a hot dog eating party; I think they got to the low tens). 

On another note, MLS has 5 out 8 remaining teams in CCL. Nice!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

One thing I thought that was critical to the Sounders' early success was the ease of going to the games. You could get into the building for comparatively way less than other local major league sports, and there were even deals to be had from there. I.e., they had an "all-inclusive" family section, where you could get as much soda, fries, hot dogs and chicken fingers you wanted. (I sat there once. The teenage boys who sat in front of us had a hot dog eating party; I think they got to the low tens).

Completely agreed, which is why the PSLs scare me so much. They only serve to make access more restrictive and can really harm the soccer culture of the city. Even more disappointing is the most prominent supporters group, Mint City Collective, not speaking out forcefully against PSLs. I really do think we could've gotten rid of them, but as it stands the club is insistent on shooting itself in the foot.

Charlotte FC has announced the renovations to Bank of America Stadium:

https://charlottefootballclub.com/bank-of-america-stadium-renovations/

About $50 million will go into renovating the East Gate, adding a central tunnel, and building new, exclusive locker rooms for soccer.

The East Gate, the most popular entrance, will be changed to improve traffic flow, and a 210-single-screen LED display will be placed above:

CLTFC-Stadium-Renovations-East-Gate.jpg

The concourse is directly behind the supporters' section, leading to quick and easy access for supporters.

The central tunnel exit will be only a few feet away from the home locker room, providing an advantage to CLTFC any time the Crowns are at home. It will also bisect The Vault, a new luxury lounge for premium members.

Of note is that while the players are wearing all-black kits in the mockup (ew), we see fans wearing Process blue jerseys that are distinctly not Panthers jerseys. Perhaps the Crowns somehow get a blue clash kit?

CLTFC-Stadium-Renovations-The-Vault-Bar-View.jpg

12 hours ago, WJMorris3 said:

How about potentially all five MLS teams advancing to the quarterfinals of CONCACAF Champions League for the first time ever?

At least one will be guaranteed to make the semi-finals as well. 

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Of note is that while the players are wearing all-black kits in the mockup (ew), we see fans wearing Process blue jerseys that are distinctly not Panthers jerseys. Perhaps the Crowns somehow get a blue clash kit?

CLTFC-Stadium-Renovations-The-Vault-Bar-View.jpg

I kinda hope they don't go with a light blue uniform, only because we have so many of them right now in the league. I'd like to see them maybe use a sash or something other teams haven't been using. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived