North American Pro Soccer 2021

Brian in Boston

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun weekend in MLS so far. Chicharito is being what he was supposed to be when he was signed to LA Galaxy, and Colorado had a fun come from behind win over Minnesota.

The jewel is tomorrow's Seattle/Portland game. Super pumped for that game played in front of real people with both teams healthy.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

14 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Fun weekend in MLS so far. Chicharito is being what he was supposed to be when he was signed to LA Galaxy, and Colorado had a fun come from behind win over Minnesota.

The jewel is tomorrow's Seattle/Portland game. Super pumped for that game played in front of real people with both teams healthy.

That was not fun...

On 4/8/2021 at 10:28 PM, Gothamite said:

which is why “New York/New Jersey Gotham FC” is profoundly stupid.  

I get that the owner is the governor and fears blowback from insecure Jerseyites, but either embrace your home or go all the way and actually pretend you live somewhere else.  Don’t put both feet on one side of the river and try to keep a toe on the other. 

I was sitting here trying to imagine a literal visual of that, and, well, as you can imagine, it ain't turn out too well....

On 4/9/2021 at 4:31 PM, Gothamite said:

Oh, I'm sure they'll be known colloquially as "Gotham".  Which makes the "NJ" even dumber.

"New York/New Jersey New York FC" is a choice, I guess.  Just not a very good one.

So...New York people how y'all feeling about the whole NY/NJ MetroStars name these days? (Also, totally random, but didn't some league do an All-Star event some years ago with the location listed literally as New York/New Jersey? I swear I remember a patch or something...

On 4/15/2021 at 9:34 AM, QCS said:

Charlotte FC has announced the renovations to Bank of America Stadium:

https://charlottefootballclub.com/bank-of-america-stadium-renovations/

About $50 million will go into renovating the East Gate, adding a central tunnel, and building new, exclusive locker rooms for soccer.

The East Gate, the most popular entrance, will be changed to improve traffic flow, and a 210-single-screen LED display will be placed above:

CLTFC-Stadium-Renovations-East-Gate.jpg

The concourse is directly behind the supporters' section, leading to quick and easy access for supporters.

The central tunnel exit will be only a few feet away from the home locker room, providing an advantage to CLTFC any time the Crowns are at home. It will also bisect The Vault, a new luxury lounge for premium members.

I visited that Stadium before...and I cannot for the life of me understand why they chose to paint the exterior of that place black. I mean, Charlotte ain't exactly the coolest climate in the summertime...

On 4/15/2021 at 9:34 AM, QCS said:

Of note is that while the players are wearing all-black kits in the mockup (ew), we see fans wearing Process blue jerseys that are distinctly not Panthers jerseys. Perhaps the Crowns somehow get a blue clash kit?

CLTFC-Stadium-Renovations-The-Vault-Bar-View.jpg

I probably missed it somewhere, but is this what the team (or its fans) taken to calling themselves now?

On 4/15/2021 at 3:16 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

Am I colorblind or is that Nashville color purple?

I don't even think Nashville knows what color that is...but I can tell you that one can definitely host that color on www.dointoomuch.com...

On 4/21/2021 at 2:24 PM, Dilbert said:

FC Cincinnati and Total Quality Logistics (TQL) have signed a naming rights partnership for West End Stadium

Ezgm1rOWQAQYC9c?format=jpg&name=4096x409

So far reaction by many fans, including myself, has been very poor. TQL is a local company but is known for their hostile work environment, high turnover rate, and unreliable service. Last year when the company had to shut down during the pandemic, rather than move employees remotely, they fired 700, without notice, severance, and health insurance. They also didnt cancel a 1 year no compete clause. While yes this is a business deal, it was a bad move in my opinion. Many have said they will continue to call it West End Stadium regardless.

On 4/23/2021 at 9:48 AM, Sport said:

TQL wanted to partner with a team whose turnover is worse than their own. FOLKS!

The horror stories I've heard at TQL. I've known at least 10 people who worked there out of college and none of them were there longer than a year. One of my friends worked there for 11 days. It's hell on earth. Recruiters kept telling me "I have an exciting entry level job in sales" and I'd be like "if it's TQL I'd rather stuff burritos at Chipotle." They're advertising not to sell their services, but to recruit new suckers to work there because they've nearly exhausted the local market and recent college grads are getting wise. 

I could tell y'all some stories from this side of the biz (where I and a bunch of independent owner/operators sit), but um uh, I'm trying to keep my good rating around here so um uh...yyyyeeah

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

9 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I probably missed it somewhere, but is this what the team (or its fans) taken to calling themselves now?

It's what I've heard most often from fans (and also prefer myself). There's no definitive nickname yet.

the user formerly known as cdclt

15 hours ago, tBBP said:

So...New York people how y'all feeling about the whole NY/NJ MetroStars name these days? (Also, totally random, but didn't some league do an All-Star event some years ago with the location listed literally as New York/New Jersey? I swear I remember a patch or something...

Growing up with the NY/NJ MetroStars, the name was hot garbage back in the day. The club was named after MetroMedia. All the alternative names were awful too, e.g., Empire Soccer Club and MetroFlash (from Nike).

I remember the owners wanted to buy the Cosmos name, but that didn't happen. These days even Red Bull New York or New York Red Bulls (whichever) are a big convoluted mess.

New York City FC has the better name out of the two NY area clubs and it is no contest.

On 4/8/2021 at 10:28 PM, Gothamite said:

which is why “New York/New Jersey Gotham FC” is profoundly stupid.  

I get that the owner is the governor and fears blowback from insecure Jerseyites, but either embrace your home or go all the way and actually pretend you live somewhere else.  Don’t put both feet on one side of the river and try to keep a toe on the other. 

15 hours ago, tBBP said:

I think most New Yorkers think "NY/NJ" makes about as much sense as "NY/CT".  We accept that teams and leagues sometimes feel the need to cater to insecure Jerseyites, but that doesn't mean we have to take it seriously.

But my larger point was that "Gotham" is a nickname for New York City.  So the NWSL club's name is “New York/New Jersey New York FC”.  Which, yes, is profoundly stupid.

22 minutes ago, BryanSmalls said:

New York City FC has the better name out of the two NY area clubs and it is no contest.

Seeing that they are basically junior to big parents on the other side of the globe, I'd say they're equal. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

But my larger point was that "Gotham" is a nickname for New York City.  So the NWSL club's name is “New York/New Jersey New York FC”.  Which, yes, is profoundly stupid.

The Los Angeles Angels say hello

Signature intentionally left blank

5 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

The Los Angeles Angels say hello

That's just redundant, though.  It's not inherently contradictory or unbalanced.  This is like if Clark Hunt was actually allowed to call his relocated team the "Kansas City Texans".

Seems as though these Jerseyans want to claim a measure of ownership over the name "Gotham".  Didn't work with the Statue of Liberty, and it won't work here. ;) 

1 hour ago, BryanSmalls said:

Growing up with the NY/NJ MetroStars, the name was hot garbage back in the day. The club was named after MetroMedia. All the alternative names were awful too, e.g., Empire Soccer Club and MetroFlash (from Nike).

O dear Lord...I did not know that.  (Nor could I have being that I'd never been further north than Brewton AL back during those days. 😁)  I guess I thought it was a cool name from down by the Gulf; but that was an outsider's perspective.

But MetroFlash, though?  Yeah...how about NO. That would've been about as bad as the Dallas Burn or San Jose Clash (or Tampa Bay Mutiny, except at the time I thought that little bat logo thingamajig they had was the coolest thing ever, even had the jersey...back then I had no clue about soccer naming conventions, crests or any of that.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Ive always been under the impression that NYCFC was New York City for the locale and then Football Club as the team name despite being part of the City Football Group. Where as Orlando City SC is Orlando as the locale and City SC as the team name.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

When City Football Group sells the club, we will still be New York City.

When Red Bull GmbH sells the club, they'll be looking for a new name.

I would hope so! Far too late in the game to change the city name to New Amsterdam.

58 minutes ago, BryanSmalls said:

I would hope so! Far too late in the game to change the city name to New Amsterdam.

Considering there is already a New Amsterdam FC already playing in the beer league division 3 NISA, I dont think New Amsterdam will be elevated to MLS anytime soon.

4 hours ago, BryanSmalls said:

... if they did change it, someone might ask why they changed it? The team would respond, "why we changed it, I can't say. People just liked it better that way."

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived