North American Pro Soccer 2021

Brian in Boston

19 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Ive always been under the impression that NYCFC was New York City for the locale and then Football Club as the team name despite being part of the City Football Group. Where as Orlando City SC is Orlando as the locale and City SC as the team name.

I think it mostly worked out as brilliant coincidental synergy. CFG is trying to own “x City FC” as a template, and their USA shop happened to be in the most famous “x City” in the country if not the world. I’m sure they would have been Miami City FC in an alternate universe but that wouldn’t have worked out as perfectly. (It’s the rest of the brand that makes them look like a farm team.)

The lack of a natural shortname or acronym remains kinda messy though.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Digby said:

I think it mostly worked out as brilliant coincidental synergy. CFG is trying to own “x City FC” as a template, and their USA shop happened to be in the most famous “x City” in the country if not the world. I’m sure they would have been Miami City FC in an alternate universe but that wouldn’t have worked out as perfectly. (It’s the rest of the brand that makes them look like a farm team.)

I think you’re right.  Obviously CFG wants their teams branded with “City”, but they happened into a market where that was already the case.  And we were the City before they were. 😛

The lack of a natural shortname or acronym remains kinda messy though.

Eh, “NYCFC” works fine in print.  It’s a bit messy to say, but “New York City” is familiar enough on the tongue. 

And there’s always my “Pigeons” if you want to be more casual. 😉

I like Pigeons! I do. But “The Pigeons are at home Sunday” I guess just doesn’t seem likely to stick like Yankees or Timbers would in that sentence, alas.

I mentioned this in the kit thread but it seems like MLS is really trying to devalue nicknames this year in official comms. Maybe it was to grease the slicks of the Crew nonsense that’s now public.

Gold Cup schedule is out. All 3 USA group games in KC, all 3 Mexico in Dallas area (one at Cowboys Stadium and two at Cotton Bowl?). A tour of Texas (or Florida) in July seems like great soccer weather doesn't it?

E1SVsrFWEAEo30y?format=jpg&name=large

17 hours ago, Digby said:

Gold Cup schedule is out. All 3 USA group games in KC, all 3 Mexico in Dallas area (one at Cowboys Stadium and two at Cotton Bowl?). A tour of Texas (or Florida) in July seems like great soccer weather doesn't it?

E1SVsrFWEAEo30y?format=jpg&name=large

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9fe96583-f0e1-4f0b-994b-3814bf13a299

That's probably the plan anyway since they'll be dealing with Euros and Copa America at the start. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Brutal finish in Cincinnati today. I was right there with the home team on that equalizer, just to see it spoiled a minute later. Yikes.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I got to go!

spacer.png

I had no plans to go to this game and no plans as of yet to go to another game. Was going to play it by ear and my wife and I would maybe try to get to the third or fourth game when things are more open. 45 minutes before the game a friend I met when we were both living in Seattle, who I didn't even know was in town, texted me and asked if I wanted to use his extra ticket. I said "hell yeah" and less than a half hour later I was standing in The Bailey. Guys, this stadium is gorgeous, the location is perfect, the Bailey is super loud, and I can't wait to see this place at full capacity. I think they've nailed almost everything. I think this place is going to become a destination for visiting fans. It's right in the Cincinnati experience, walkable from OTR's bars and restaurants, right off the streetcar line, and the atmosphere even with reduced capacity was electric. The whole time I was standing there I couldn't believe it was real or that I got to be there. 

Classic Cincinnati loss, though. They had all the momentum and tied it in the 83rd minute and I thought "they have a lot of time left to go win this thing", which was dumb on my part. Cincinnati kid Nick Hagglund comes in and ties it and the place is rocking and with everybody still patting each other on the back for the comeback, Miami strolls down the field and scores their third cheapie of the day. At least we got two goals and got to see the place cheer for something because it would've been ultra lame to leave without experiencing that. 

10/10 would go again. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Congratulations on getting to go the stadium opening! It looked incredible on TV and I hope one day the front office puts together a team worth watching.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So apparently the Houston Dynamo are going to be sold:

Houston Dynamo Sold To EJS Group Founder Ted Segal For $400 Million – Sportico.com

Real estate developer Ted Segal is near an agreement to purchase Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo FC for about $400 million, according to multiple people familiar with the transaction.

Segal, founder and president of EJS Group, is buying the team from majority owner Gabriel Brener, one of a small number of Latino owners in major U.S. sports. He will retain a minority stake in the clubs. Brener first invested in the Dynamo in 2008 and bought out AEG in 2015. Minority owners include former boxing champion Oscar De La Hoya and NBA star James Harden.

Segal’s deal includes the NWSL’s Houston Dash, and the team’s business relationship with BBVA Stadium, which is owned by the local stadium authority, said the people, who were granted anonymity because the purchase agreement isn’t signed.

It just occurred to me that I’ve never actually seen a soccer game at one of these North American-style SSS’s, only ever stadia converted from other Big Four sports, minor-league municipal or college stadiums, and the relative MLS anomaly in Portland.

An FC Cincinnati fan really wants to argue with me that Tyton is the best GK in the league. Dude, Im an FCC fan and he is not even close to being the best in the league.🤣

Signature intentionally left blank

Wow. FC Cincinnati not only got their first win of the season today against Club Foot but its their first come from behind win in MLS history.  Montreal remains just one of 3 (not counting Austin) MLS clubs to have never beat Cincinnati. FCC is 3-0-0 vs Montreal, 1-0-0 vs Houston, and including USL years 0-5-0 vs Nashville (one of the draws was in the USL postseason in which Cincinnati advanced on penalties).

Signature intentionally left blank

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Looks like MLS is ready to get in on the minor league ownership thing like MLB, the NBA and the NHL. 

https://theathletic.com/2626561/2021/06/01/mls-third-division-league/

MLS is starting up its own competing D3 league for 2022. 

No doubt this will not help USL's D3 league or the already half dead NISA. 

I've said this elsewhere, but all it's going to be is an academy league if they only involve MLS teams. Do they really need to make a big deal out of it? I know Columbus talked about having a USL side to take over Historic Crew Stadium after they move into New Crew Stadium next month.  I'd also like to see them add a NWSL team as well.  I think more MLS teams should invest in NWSL as well. I think that would improve the USWNT even more by adding more slots to evaluate players that need competitive games to make that next step in their progression. 

NISA keeps shooting themselves in the foot as it is but I think US Soccer should make sure that the MLS2 league sits equal footing with NISA, rather than possibly putting it above USL One or USL Two. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Charlotte FC outlined its goals for its first year:

Countdown1Kick-Timeline-0525-1200x675.jp

https://charlottefootballclub.com/charlotte-fc-town-hall-outlines-roadmap-to-first-kick-and-inaugural-season-goals/

Three main goals are: setting a record for most home attendance in a single game, averaging over 30,000 fans a game, and hosting a playoff game in its first year. Setting the bar sky high, but I'm hoping they can achieve those goals.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived