North American Pro Soccer 2021

Brian in Boston

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty bad, but this has been a pretty well officiated game, all things considered. No Concacafing just yet.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 hours ago, DEAD! said:

How is this only a yellow card?

Concacaf. 

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

That's pretty bad, but this has been a pretty well officiated game, all things considered. No Concacafing just yet.

This was the best officiated game of the tournament. And the US was really damn plucky last night. Arriola missed two golden chances to kill the game in regulation and I was afraid they'd get overwhelmed in ET, but they came through. I'm not expecting them to win in Azteca anytime soon, but this squad is looking pretty deep coming into the qualifiers next month. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

According to Steven Goff of The Washington Post:

"Las Vegas is now the front-runner for the next round of MLS expansion, a source close to the league says. Another, though, says it's probably too early to say for sure whether LV becomes 30th club."

Of course they are.  It adds to their delusions of grandeur.  

I don't know...that game looked pretty great from their new stadium last night.

They won't get 65k for every MLS game, but in general, I'm far more in favor of stadiums being used than not.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

They won't get 65k for every MLS game, but in general, I'm far more in favor of stadiums being used than not.

Plus, it is an indoor stadium so it's not like players will have to worry about the summer heat.

I saw, I came, I left.

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

One of the advantages of an American FIFA World Cup is that the stadiums used during the World Cup would still be in use after the games are over.   We're not the only country with plans for stadiums post World Cup though.  

Most countries are like "so we just hosted the World Cup......so what are we going to do with these stadiums, especially ones not used by soccer teams?" 

The US on the other hand "so we just hosted the World Cup.  Okay NFL (and College football and MLS) you can have your stadiums back"

The new member association is expected to be Saint Pierre and Miquelon, a tiny overseas collectivity of France that is off the southern coast of Newfoundland. It is also the only holdout from France's colonial days in North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

To put more weight on SPM joining CONCACAF, there is this article from last year:

Steve Menary: Tiny Islands With Big Plans

France’s last remaining territory in North America, the tiny island chain of St Pierre and Miquelon, could be the 42nd member of CONCACAF.

The islands have a population of less than 6,000 and opportunities for the three clubs that have contested the local league since 1976 are limited.

Junior sides take a boat to compete in Canada’s Newfoundland Cup and a side from the islands did feature travel to Paris to compete with other French overseas territories in the Overseas Cup but that ended in 2012.

Three attempts to enter a club into the French Cup since 2003 were rebuffed but in 2018/19, the French federation relented.

Source: https://www.worldsoccer.com/features/tiny-islands-with-big-plans-409377

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

What’s the Leagues Cup again? Is that our Europa League (but closed shop)?

Yep. Just a renamed Superliga. 

On 8/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, GDAWG said:

One of the advantages of an American FIFA World Cup is that the stadiums used during the World Cup would still be in use after the games are over.   We're not the only country with plans for stadiums post World Cup though.  

Most countries are like "so we just hosted the World Cup......so what are we going to do with these stadiums, especially ones not used by soccer teams?" 

The US on the other hand "so we just hosted the World Cup.  Okay NFL (and College football and MLS) you can have your stadiums back"

Qatar is supposedly "giving away" their stadiums to other countries in Africa. So tearing down the stadiums to minimum seating and shipping off the rest of the structure to be rebuilt elsewhere. I don't know how that will work since they were also going to have remote control clouds to block out the sun. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/8690666.stm

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, Digby said:

What’s the Leagues Cup again? Is that our Europa League (but closed shop)?

The Pumas goalkeeper really did a psyche job on NYCFC last night. Sean Johnson blocked the Pumas first two attempts, but NYCFC couldn't capitalize at all. Rough set of PKs to watch.

Austin Bold, USL Championship, may be on the move at the end of the year. Losing fans to Austin FC was to be expected and it looks like they may be looking at the Ft. Worth area for a landing spot if they leave Austin. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Austin Bold, USL Championship, may be on the move at the end of the year. Losing fans to Austin FC was to be expected and it looks like they may be looking at the Ft. Worth area for a landing spot if they leave Austin. 

I have heard Fort Worth and Corpus Christi mentioned.

Signature intentionally left blank

I like the idea of the lower leagues really ramping up the local markets like that. There’s been talk of USL teams (I’m not sure which level) in Portland, Burlington, Manchester and Pawtucket in New England… fun to have a culture of local rivalries there that rolls up to ostensibly everyone also being a Revs fan. It’s a very different thing than small-city minor league baseball, but also a worthy replacement as MiLB withers away on the vine.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Really nice week for Seattle: Walloped Tigres 3-0 in the Leagues Cup, and then put a 5-spot on Portland away tonight.

EDIT: 6! Added one in the 94th.

Yikes Portland.

On 8/13/2021 at 5:33 AM, Digby said:

There’s been talk of USL teams (I’m not sure which level) in Portland, Burlington, Manchester and Pawtucket in New England… 

Portland is slated for  USL League One. The last I'd heard, Charlie Davies and a local venture capitalist were looking at building a soccer-specific stadium for a proposed USL League One club just off of I-93 in Londonderry, New Hampshire. As for Pawtucket, site remediation has begun in advance of stadium construction for the USL Championship side that will call the State of Rhode Island home.  I've heard whispers - though little-to-nothing of substance - about efforts to bring a USL team to Burlington. 

On 8/13/2021 at 7:33 AM, Digby said:

I like the idea of the lower leagues really ramping up the local markets like that. There’s been talk of USL teams (I’m not sure which level) in Portland, Burlington, Manchester and Pawtucket in New England… fun to have a culture of local rivalries there that rolls up to ostensibly everyone also being a Revs fan. It’s a very different thing than small-city minor league baseball, but also a worthy replacement as MiLB withers away on the vine.

Even cooler is the fact that some of these lower-league teams aren't acting like lower leagues. It's not easy to get community buy-in to a minor league sport, but franchises in the USL Championship and USL League One are generating really impressive and passionate fanbases. I'm particularly impressed by Forward Madison in League One and New Mexico United in the Championship.

Before long, we could get to a point where some lower-level clubs have so much big-league infrastructure that it will be difficult to tell the difference between them and MLS. Louisville plays in what appears to be an MLS-caliber stadium. New Mexico United has tenuous plans to do the same. 

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Even cooler is the fact that some of these lower-league teams aren't acting like lower leagues. It's not easy to get community buy-in to a minor league sport, but franchises in the USL Championship and USL League One are generating really impressive and passionate fanbases. I'm particularly impressed by Forward Madison in League One and New Mexico United in the Championship.

To me that’s the part that’s actively the most interesting and encouraging in comparison with MiLB, and the value proposition soccer offers to smaller cities that aren’t big NCAA towns.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Once again. Another opportunity wasted with a man up on a team. FC Cincinnati just cant do anything right. Another draw thanks to inept coaching and lack of using subs. At this point I think fans have had enough of Jaap Staam.

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived