North American Pro Soccer 2021

Brian in Boston

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

"Survive" isn't really the right word -- they dominated PKs. Not a single score by Nashville!

They completely dominated most of the extra time and had a few good scoring opportunities. They deserved that dominating PK win. 

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough loss for NE after tying late in extra time.

That's how many playoff games settled with PKs? Such a shame.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The crayon flag winning a star on its way out would have been a real nice touch on everything. Too bad. NYCFC seem less of a fluke than the West bracket (entire existence aside) but this feels like another entry in MLS Cup going full lotto.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Foxboro doesn't look so bad for soccer when there are actually people in there to watch the game!

honestly this has always been the case in Seattle and Atlanta… has been the case in Foxboro when they get good crowds (which is more often than they get credit for) and since their grounds crew has been A+ at getting rid of the footbal lines… even in Nashville apart from, unfortunately, their playoff game. I guess we (being the league) have high hopes on Charlotte on this front as well?

the real problem remains NYCFC and maybe they’ll get to host the Cup final in a hole in the ground that’s too narrow and doesn’t show any fans on television. Really good vibes even before you get to the human rights violations. What a year!

The Philadelphia Union are hosting the Eastern Conference Final.

Yes, I know it's not silverware.

Yes, I know we won some silverware last year.

But, funny thing happens when you finally win something. You want to keep winning trophies.

Maybe RSL can spring yet another upset and we could be talking a Cup Final in Chester.

LvZYtbZ.png

12 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Looks like this is Philly's cup to lose now. 

Not sure about that. Of the four teams remaining, Portland had the highest regular season points total. If they beat RSL on Saturday, the MLS Cup has to go through Providence Park. 

That would be one helluva a scene. 

I thought Portland were having an off year. Oops! I'm rooting for Philly though; could use some precedent of Supporters Shield + playoff flameout leading into an MLS Cup redemption arc the following year. Though really anyone but the pukeworthy NYCFC is fine.

10 hours ago, Digby said:

I guess we (being the league) have high hopes on Charlotte on this front as well?

Since they're switching to turf this should at least look better than that Nashville FC home game.

21 minutes ago, Digby said:

I thought Portland were having an off year. Oops! I'm rooting for Philly though; could use some precedent of Supporters Shield + playoff flameout leading into an MLS Cup redemption arc the following year. Though really anyone but the pukeworthy NYCFC is fine.

MLS Cup at Citi Field would be even weirder, because I'm pretty sure Yankee Stadium will not be available so that they can prep it for the Pinstripe Bowl. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Western Conference can only run through Portland or Seattle. Sorry!

Also, go Philly, I guess. Anyone but Timbers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

FC Cincinnati GM Chris Albright has mentioned that they hope to name their new head coach by Christmas. Sources are saying the top candidate for the job is still in the playoffs. Albright just came over from Philadelphia and apparently is looking at bringing in Unions top guy Jim Curtin or his assistant Pat Noonan.

Signature intentionally left blank

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Since they're switching to turf this should at least look better than that Nashville FC home game.

MLS Cup at Citi Field would be even weirder, because I'm pretty sure Yankee Stadium will not be available so that they can prep it for the Pinstripe Bowl. 

An MLS Cup Final at either baseball stadium would be a watershed moment for the League that has strongly encouraged its clubs to build soccer-specific stadiums.

Also, the League was better off having a neutral field location for the final instead of having the highest seed remaining hosting the championship match.

He did just re up for two years I believe. Cincy wants to buy him out, Philly is saying no. Not sure how Phillys owners are financially but Cincys has pretty deep pockets. I do remember Curtin saying he was very impressed with TQL Stadium when he and Philly visited back in October in former GM Albrights first game at FC Cincy

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm pretty sure Yankee Stadium will not be available so that they can prep it for the Pinstripe Bowl. 

Wouldnt it make it better at Yankee Stadium for soccer with the field set up in its football position? They'd actually be utilizing the whole field rather than just the outfield to avoid the pitchers mound.

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Wouldnt it make it better at Yankee Stadium for soccer with the field set up in its football position? They'd actually be utilizing the whole field rather than just the outfield to avoid the pitchers mound.

They would probably want them off the field altogether, especially if they need to put in temporary seating.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived