North American Pro Soccer 2021

Brian in Boston

18 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Looks like Sacramento may be out again. This time the NWSL. Ron Burkle, who pulled out of the MLS expansion is now looking at moving his NWSL team rights from Sacramento to San Diego.

The people in charge of this whole thing have REALLY let this city down. I can say with a lot of confidence that once the veil gets pulled back on this and it’s shown just how little this organization really had to work with financially, this is going to be somewhat of a scandal. They misrepresented this entire thing, and once they realized it, it was just too late. Monumental :censored:up. Kings level bad. Not surprising considering things basically went to :censored: when Neagle and his Kings cohorts got involved. 

Hope Sacramento Republic makes it trough these difficult times and either joins MLS eventually or will remain on of the USL Championships top teams.

I'm biased, but would love San Diego to get an MLS team, but would also be ok with Pheonix getting it for example.

The Cincy stadium is gorgeous, hope they can have fans in a safe way soon. 

Also, SBI founder Ives Galarcep is in the ER hospital due to covid. Hope the soccer media legend pulls trough!

Louisville City of USL Championship will evaluate in the next 6-12 months on applying for MLS expansion, possibly for Sacramentos spot.

Their new home is capable of being expanded to MLS standards. They already have a heated rivalry with FC Cincinnati and would be a regional rival for Nashville, Chicago and Columbus. They were 4th in league attendance in 2019 with an average of 9,041 at their old home Slugger Field. Louisville would be on the smaller size of markets, comparable to Salt Lake City.

4 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Louisville City of USL Championship will evaluate in the next 6-12 months on applying for MLS expansion, possibly for Sacramentos spot.

Their new home is capable of being expanded to MLS standards. They already have a heated rivalry with FC Cincinnati and would be a regional rival for Nashville, Chicago and Columbus. They were 4th in league attendance in 2019 with an average of 9,041 at their old home Slugger Field. Louisville would be on the smaller size of markets, comparable to Salt Lake City.

That could be interesting, although they might need an uber rich guy to buy a piece of the team and pay the entry fee.  I don't know where they would get that in Louisville.  I am sure that there could be one who is as passionate about soccer and Louisville though.  The one positive is that having an MLS team in Louisville is that the MLS doesn't have to worry too much about the University of Louisville like the NBA might.  I think if MLS has a replacement for Sacramento, it's going to either be Phoenix or Las Vegas, with whoever out of those two loses out on Sacramento's spot getting either 31 or 32.  I think Louisville could get either 31 or 32 if they can get all their ducks in a row because I don't see MLS filling 30, 31 and 32 with all of those three teams in the Western United States.  

16 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I think Louisville could get either 31 or 32 if they can get all their ducks in a row because I don't see MLS filling 30, 31 and 32 with all of those three teams in the Western United States.  

Well, St. Louis is hardly “in the Western United States”.  

And don’t forget that this was the league that expanded to Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver in rapid fashion.  Other leagues might want to spread out expansion zones, but there’s no reason to believe MLS is afraid of doing so.  Quite the opposite, they’d love to build in some geographic rivalries.  

Looking only at geography, Phoenix and Las Vegas make a lot of sense. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Well, St. Louis is hardly “in the Western United States”.  

And don’t forget that this was the league that expanded to Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver in rapid fashion.  Other leagues might want to spread out expansion zones, but there’s no reason to believe MLS is afraid of doing so.  Quite the opposite, they’d love to build in some geographic rivalries.  

Looking only at geography, Phoenix and Las Vegas make a lot of sense. 

Louisville would give Columbus and Cincy another geographic rival.  

On 3/23/2021 at 5:44 PM, element7ero said:

Hope Sacramento Republic makes it trough these difficult times and either joins MLS eventually or will remain on of the USL Championships top teams.

I'm biased, but would love San Diego to get an MLS team, but would also be ok with Pheonix getting it for example.

The Cincy stadium is gorgeous, hope they can have fans in a safe way soon. 

Also, SBI founder Ives Galarcep is in the ER hospital due to covid. Hope the soccer media legend pulls trough!

Honestly, MLS shouldn't welcome Sacramento back as an expansion club ever. I wouldn't be surprised if Sacramento folded after all that is said and done.

There's too much negativity with the whole debacle. There are other non-California markets that MLS can pursue.

16 minutes ago, BryanSmalls said:

Honestly, MLS shouldn't welcome Sacramento back as an expansion club ever. I wouldn't be surprised if Sacramento folded after all that is said and done.

There's too much negativity with the whole debacle. There are other non-California markets that MLS can pursue.

👆

1 hour ago, BryanSmalls said:

1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

👆

As much as I would love Sacramento in I think the damage is done and its time to move on. I know Las Vegas isnt a favorite of @FiddySicks nor is it for me but its in play along with Phoenix. I think San Diego, Louisville and Indy would also be in play. My pick would go to Phoenix, then add San Diego and Louisville to get to 32

3 hours ago, Dilbert said:

As much as I would love Sacramento in I think the damage is done and its time to move on. I know Las Vegas isnt a favorite of @FiddySicks nor is it for me but its in play along with Phoenix. I think San Diego, Louisville and Indy would also be in play. My pick would go to Phoenix, then add San Diego and Louisville to get to 32

For as much as I don’t like Las Vegas (For several reasons. Some dumb), even I can admit that it’s an objectively more promising market at this point than Sacramento. I don’t think the future is as promising for Vegas as a lot of the projections show, but I’ve also had a shift of opinion on the Sacramento area as well. The job market is really bad, real estate is skyrocketing (mainly from people fleeing the Bay Area), and the city doesn’t really have the infrastructure in place to break through a lot of the barriers that would help it to grow. Vegas by design doesn’t really have a lot of those issues. At least in the short term. 

14 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Didn't Bill Foley express interest in putting a Las Vegas MLS team playing at Allegiant Stadium at one point?

I believe there are two different groups looking at Las Vegas. One is Foley placing the team at Allegiant. The other is a group looking to redevelop the Cashman Field site.

Phoenix Rising have their own land to build a stadium. San Diego has looked at sharing the new Aztec Stadium or a site near it as well as a redevelopment of the Sports Arena. Indy Eleven are in the planning stages for Eleven Park, with a location for the park to be announced soon. Louisvilles Lynn Family Stadium was built with expansion in mind.

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Didn't Bill Foley express interest in putting a Las Vegas MLS team playing at Allegiant Stadium at one point?

Bill Foley's feigned interest was in obtaining a Las Vegas-based Major League Soccer team and operating it out of Allegiant Stadium. His true interest? That was in c***-blocking the MLS expansion plans of billionaire hedge fund manager Seth Klarman and real estate development firm The Renaissance Companies so as to protect his hockey franchise from having to share the Las Vegas market with an NFL team that gained official approval to relocate to "Sin City" 26 days after the Golden Knights formally began operations as an NHL club, an WNBA team that announced it was moving to town a week after the Golden Knights played their first home hockey game, AND - potentially - a Major League Soccer team.

17 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Bill Foley's feigned interest was in obtaining a Las Vegas-based Major League Soccer team and operating it out of Allegiant Stadium. His true interest? That was in c***-blocking the MLS expansion plans of billionaire hedge fund manager Seth Klarman and real estate development firm The Renaissance Companies so as to protect his hockey franchise from having to share the Las Vegas market with an NFL team that gained official approval to relocate to "Sin City" 26 days after the Golden Knights formally began operations as an NHL club, an WNBA team that announced it was moving to town a week after the Golden Knights played their first home hockey game, AND - potentially - a Major League Soccer team.

I am always a little leery of hedge fund managers and venture capitalists wanting to invest in major sports teams but the major sports leagues vet these guys anyways.  I know that David Tepper is a hedge fund guy and the NFL vetted him thoroughly.  

19 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

For as much as I don’t like Las Vegas (For several reasons. Some dumb), even I can admit that it’s an objectively more promising market at this point than Sacramento. I don’t think the future is as promising for Vegas as a lot of the projections show, but I’ve also had a shift of opinion on the Sacramento area as well. The job market is really bad, real estate is skyrocketing (mainly from people fleeing the Bay Area), and the city doesn’t really have the infrastructure in place to break through a lot of the barriers that would help it to grow. Vegas by design doesn’t really have a lot of those issues. At least in the short term. 

With the exception that I like Las Vegas, you're starting to sound like me.  One of the things I've been kvetching about for the now two decades I've lived here is that this city really needs to diversify the economy which the powers that be are either unwilling or unable to do.  It's just too reliant on the state government.  That's a main reason I always laugh when people suggest Sacramento as a possible landing spot for the A's if they ever moved.  If you thought 2008 was bad, the next one is going to be much worse.

While I'd like to see MLS here at the end of the day I think that ship sailed and sank.  There's no way the current Republic ownership will find another sucker...I mean bagman to foot the ever skyrocketing bill.  Isn't is also interesting that it seems anything and everything the Kings ownership touches turns to poo?  

1 hour ago, tp49 said:

With the exception that I like Las Vegas, you're starting to sound like me.  One of the things I've been kvetching about for the now two decades I've lived here is that this city really needs to diversify the economy which the powers that be are either unwilling or unable to do.  It's just too reliant on the state government.  That's a main reason I always laugh when people suggest Sacramento as a possible landing spot for the A's if they ever moved.  If you thought 2008 was bad, the next one is going to be much worse.

While I'd like to see MLS here at the end of the day I think that ship sailed and sank.  There's no way the current Republic ownership will find another sucker...I mean bagman to foot the ever skyrocketing bill.  Isn't is also interesting that it seems anything and everything the Kings ownership touches turns to poo?  

I saw Sacramento as such a promising market in the late 2000s, and it was my top choice to move to after college. A lot of that had to do with closeness to home (and not being Reno), but a lot of it had to do with looking like a surprisingly affordable city to live in post recession. It just seemed to have so much untapped potential. That’s all up and vanished though, and the sway back is brutal. It’s already spiraling out of control. I’m seeing garbage fixer uppers in terrible neighborhoods creep towards a half a million. That’s absolutely insane for a city with as little to offer as Sacramento. I also had NO IDEA just how :censored: the job market is here. My God. I’ve got a “good” job with the state and I’m still making poverty wages, and my growth potential looks downright grim. I’ve gotten my ass kicked for the last six years in basically everything I’ve attempted here. I’m definitely not sticking around. 

Also, on the Kings point, there was definitely a small part of me that kinda knew it was over as soon as they got involved. They’ve actually somehow made me miss the Maloofs. At least they were going to rid us of that trash team. This current group just found a way to fanangle the deal in such a way that the city is stuck with the huge bill for their BJ’s Brewhouse ass looking arena. 

What markets are left that actually stand a chance of giving MLS wider relevance? Phoenix, Vegas, maybe San Diego? Don’t see Louisville happening unless there’s something about that town I’m missing, not sure the league is dying to add another Real Salt Lake.

16 hours ago, Digby said:

What markets are left that actually stand a chance of giving MLS wider relevance? Phoenix, Vegas, maybe San Diego? Don’t see Louisville happening unless there’s something about that town I’m missing, not sure the league is dying to add another Real Salt Lake.

Looking at the list of largest urban areas in North America, Phoenix seems like the biggest one not served. Detroit-Windsor is huge population wise, but I wonder how much pull from Windsor a Detroit MLS team would get, with TFC being the Ontario team. Tampa and San Diego are big, but do they want to add more clubs in states where they already have multiple teams?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_urban_agglomerations_in_North_America