Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

11 hours ago, lgbaseball8 said:

Other than CC Sabathia, Kenny Lofton, Omar Vizquel, Corey Kluber, Jim Thome, Cliff Lee, Michael Brantley, Jose Ramirez, Shane Bieber, Trevor Bauer, and the countless other great players who played in Cleveland. The Indians were arguably the most consistently good team over the last 25 years. Implying that Grady Sizemore is the only good player other than Lindor since ‘96 is ridiculous.

As a fan of the team I just see them as the most consistently heartbreaking, mostly because of financial issues breaking up contenders that were on the cusp. Not something to celebrate.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Nevertheless, baseball is a sport rooted in, and dependent on, history. An original AL team should not try to be a 21st century expansion team. 

That's why I preferred the Spiders with a super old time look embracing the block font.  Maybe simple stick figure spider logo or even web embroidery.   But there's not much else to do with spider imagery without being cheesy.

5 hours ago, 29texan said:

Just sayin' . . . 

E7AZ1uCWEAQV2VY?format=jpg&name=large

I was firmly in the Spiders camp, with the hope that should they go with Guardians they would pick wine and orange to nod to the Browns and Cavs. Oh well.

There are too many RWB teams but:spacer.png

10 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

That logo looks like it should be on top of a gas station in a small town that you pass through while on your way to somewhere better. 

I guess in that sense, it’s really fitting! 

Yeah, that's what their players have been doing for 30 years!

2 minutes ago, Tavarez said:

I was firmly in the Spiders camp, with the hope that should they go with Guardians they would pick wine and orange to nod to the Browns and Cavs

One thing that WAS NOT going to happen was a color change.

Maybe Cleveland could've integrated BFBS or 'Guardian Grey', but the navy and red were 100% going nowhere

6uXNWAo.png

5 hours ago, Francis10 said:

Arrows is 100% the way to go for Indianapolis, yes. And it keeps a bit of a link to the original name without mascotizing a race.

ETA: And whatever they do, this beautiful logo must stay.

spacer.png

Does Pacers mascotize a horse or automobile race?

4 hours ago, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

Was hoping for Spiders-but i wanted the Seattle NHL team to go with Metropolitans and that didn't work out so I guess we don't get any revived team franchises RIP

Guardians is alright though to be fair. I like the name but it kinda makes me want to call them the Guardians of Cleveland

All team names should be revivals

Spiders was my favorite, but Guardians is good and especially with the direction being to keep as much continuity as possible the -dians ending made it the logical choice. 

I like the direction of the branding, but some choices are curious. The industrial feel of the Guardians script and the almost whimsical Americana of the flying G don’t exactly mesh with the modern hexagonal C of the cap logo. I actually wish the cap logo was the Cleveland wordmark  C, even though it’s very narrow the proportions of the wordmark C replicate the statues better and most of all they don’t have the weird hourglass of the cap C, which was pretty apparently kept as close to the current block C. I don’t think the upper serif on the wordmark were necessary in replicating the statues.

The baseball winged G is a total disaster, looks really dated and doesn’t at all convey a relation to the statues. I thought a baseball player as one of the statues would have been a slam dunk for a potential sleeve patch logo.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

10 hours ago, dont care said:

But you aren’t going to see it from the other side. It’s not a football helmet logo

Schrodinger’s backwards G.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, Cujo said:

To anyone complaining about the name 'Guardians', please take a step back and remind yourself 🗣 ANY NICKNAME IS BETTER THAN INDIANS

And raw chicken is a more appetizing dish than fecal matter, that still doesn't make it palatable. 

Putting it in all Caps with an emoji like a sassy twitter clapback definitely gives your point credence though.

I forgot that the Spiders were a NL team. I wonder if that's one of the reasons they didn't revive it. It's like how the Nationals didn't bring back the Senators name yet again, as that was an AL team. (Well, I'd assume that was one of the reasons).

Earlier, someone commented that "MLB Block is fine," and that teams using custom fonts shouldn't be a thing. Totally disagree here. Sure, MLB Block is fine. But with that logic, the only fonts that should exist in the world are Helvetica and Times New Roman, because they are just fine. Should the Yankees and Red Sox use MLB Block instead of their fonts? I think the new number font looks good and fits in with the wordmark.

16 hours ago, Sport said:

I feel like I've been weirdly praising this city too much on here lately, but I always say it's the easiest place I've ever lived. It punches well above its weight class for fun and activities, but has all the benefits of a smaller city.

I grew up in Dayton and aside from concerts, my friends and I all tried to avoid going to Cincy if we could. It was a racist and archconservative place, belonging more to Kentucky than Ohio (this was before Ohio politically turned into Alabama). They built a highway named after Reagan while he was still alive. If we had to go to the "big city" we went to Columbus, which is bland and generic but not as nakedly right-wing.

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

I forgot that the Spiders were a NL team. I wonder if that's one of the reasons they didn't revive it. It's like how the Nationals didn't bring back the Senators name yet again, as that was an AL team. (Well, I'd assume that was one of the reasons)

I thought it was something to do with the old phrase "first in war, first in peace, last in the American League"

Anubis.png

11 hours ago, Tavarez said:

I was firmly in the Spiders camp, with the hope that should they go with Guardians they would pick wine and orange to nod to the Browns and Cavs. Oh well.

There are too many RWB teams but:spacer.png

The Cavs and Browns is exactly what I was thinking. 

I too would have gone with Spiders... but I don't mind Guardians because I understand what it is and what it means to the city. Either one's fine, IMO.

Personally, I think the majority of the people who hate this are just mad that they can't use Indians anymore. As far as the logo goes, I firmly believe it's not going to be the primary, at the least.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

12 hours ago, chakfu said:

Two of the oldest, but both with name changes!

I'm pretty sure the only teams as old/older than Cleveland to not have changed their name at some point is the A's and Tigers. Maybe the White Stockings/Sox, if you want to count them

I still feel like Guardians was the best name among those mentioned as possibilities or proposed by fans. A better name is out there somewhere but hasn't been mentioned yet.

According to one article I read, the status of existing trademarks seems to have been a major factor. Guardians had few roadblocks in that regard.

Spiders was discussed but they seemed dissuaded by the "worst team in history" legacy and the trademark status for the name held by the University of Richmond.

They didn't hold a fan vote because they feared that the fans would select something with too many trademark issues. Evidently they did have some agreement with Marvel about the Guardians name.

The branding would look better with a different color scheme but I understand why they wanted some aesthetic continuity in terms of colors and wordmark.

My sharpest criticism is directed towards the ball logo, which is frankly rather terrible. It looks a bit rushed, as some have pointed out. It's important to remember that they decided all of this in about a year.

Archived