Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

36 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, if you want to drive away arachnophobe fans, sure. 😛 That, and the "Spiders" name has been completely and intrinsically tied to that historically-miserable season; nobody talks about the Spiders in many other contexts besides "worst MLB team of all time".

I'm deathly afraid of snakes and not once have I ever freaked out over the Diamondbacks or any other team with a snake name and/or logo.

Also, who cares if they were the worst team in 1899, two centuries ago? The only reason they were was because the owners bought the then-St. Louis Browns (now Cardinals) and sent all their best players there, believing they would be more profitable. Seems to me, as a non-Clevelander, that people still like the name Spiders. And you basically proved yourself wrong with the last sentence. "Nobody talks about them as the worst team". Meaning nobody cares.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the name has to reference any player, it should be Larry Doby. The guy broke the AL color barrier only a few weeks after Robinson, went through much of the same awfulness Robinson did, and gets only a small fraction of the recognition. Honoring Doby in a more concrete way would send a good message (provided his estate gets compensation).

15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

If the name has to reference any player, it should be Larry Doby. The guy broke the AL color barrier only a few weeks after Robinson, went through much of the same awfulness Robinson did, and gets only a small fraction of the recognition. Honoring Doby in a more concrete way would send a good message (provided his estate gets compensation).

The Cleveland Larrys? The Cleveland Dobys? I like the idea a lot, but I don't see a good name.

Nitpick Warning: It was more than a few weeks. It was just short of three months.  Larry Doby broke the AL color line on July 5, 1947. Jackie Robinson debuted with the Dodgers on April 15, 1947.

BB52Big.jpg

What about the Cleveland Wings? Goodyear has strong ties there.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

3 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Spiders is fine by me, though the logo potential is better than the name sounds, if we're being honest.

True. I think Spiders risks being ridiculous, but could be rescued by some Seattle Kraken-like design sensibility.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

"Remember the historically inept baseball team from the 1800s? We're them now! In a related story, we're trading Francisco Lindor and cutting payroll to the bone. Have a nice day! [up-the-waterspout finger gesture]"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Spiders is fine by me, though the logo potential is better than the name sounds, if we're being honest.

That's the biggest problem I see. The logo options for other names should b better. With spiders you have two, maybe three logo options. 

San Francisco Spiders - Wikipedia

Spider with baseball bat and hat

Scene Announces Winners in #RedesigntheTribe Contest | Scene and Heard:  Scene's News Blog

Spider facing up or down with the C on his back because they need to have some type marking on it's back and a C with a spider web inside it. I think the other names work better in the case of logos is because you aren't stuck using an animal that has so many appendages that have to be accounted for, whether it's sitting still or moving. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://sports.yahoo.com/cleveland-indians-name-change-runs-034509624.html

And people are already sitting on the Spiders and Baseball Team trademarks. As cheap as Dolan's being this year, he's probably going to find something else. The people filing don't have full control yet so who knows?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Does anyone who isn't a sports nerd even know about the Spiders having that worst team ever record though? If they rebrand right and eventually create a winner nobody is gonna care how bad a team from over 100 years ago was. Besides this isn't really "that" Spiders team. This is the current Cleveland Indians under a new name. Becoming the Spiders doesn't mean the team is gonna suddenly go back to 1899 and be awful again.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Does anyone who isn't a sports nerd even know about the Spiders having that worst team ever record though? If they rebrand right and eventually create a winner nobody is gonna care how bad a team from over 100 years ago was. Besides this isn't really "that" Spiders team. This is the current Cleveland Indians under a new name. Becoming the Spiders doesn't mean the team is gonna suddenly go back to 1899 and be awful again.

Again, remember who owns the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolans ship out a bunch of people to lower budget; they're already shopping Lindor. It's a bad idea to rebrand to the same name as a historically awful team while your current owner is running the team on cheap.

The name the Cleveland Spiders both excites and scares me.  I think Cleveland has a beautiful chance here to go Spiders, stick with a black and red scheme (and eliminate a navy/red team on top of it) and go with a nice, minimalistic logo and keep a traditional feel, to a team who's been around for a very long time.  They also have a chance to go big, and bold, with a spider holding like, eight bats and feel like a AAA team if they wanted to with that name, too.  Thankfully, I'm not super worried about that, I just know it's possible.  So it still remains a small fear.  

Just do the low hanging fruit here.  One color, block spider.  Black and red.  Traditional look, make the red pop on the black.  It's easy, people will love it for the color scheme and the name alone.  It will sell.

Archived