Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

That would be the funniest thing they could do, just wait everyone out, but I don't the warring hordes can be waited out. They get stronger every day. They get everything they want. Actual indigenous people don't, though; they'll continue to live in what amount to third-world countries. 

Actual Indigenous people have been behind the change for years!  Not those who just claim to be "Native American", which was the sample group for the Washington Post poll.

For example:

Spiders appears to be the frontrunner on the sports nerd Twitter beat.  Blues, Rockers are also up there.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, O.C.D said:

What about an automotive/mechanic logo package and calling the team the Cleveland Engines? It sounds similar which would make the name change easier for fans but a combustion engine is completely different and unique as a mascot and team name. Reminiscent of the Pistons

I like where you are going but the woke crowd will probably claim that the club is making fun of the old name Indians.  Maybe the Cleveland motors?

4 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

The worst public relations franchise in baseball is back at it!

15 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Oh...oh dear lord.

I know this is giving them too much credit but maybe Dolan's playing the long game and will just drop passive-aggressive interviews/trot out a generic campaign just to carve out a new fanbase niche among people who whine about cancel culture on twitter. Lotta people are perpetually aggrieved at other people being perpetually aggrieved (this thread included).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

I know this is giving them too much credit but maybe Dolan's playing the long game and will just drop passive-aggressive interviews/trot out a generic campaign just to carve out a new fanbase niche among people who whine about cancel culture on twitter. Lotta people are perpetually aggrieved at other people being perpetually aggrieved (this thread included).

How long until we get the Cleveland Miffed Men? 😛

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

So, would it be a total OITGDNHL move if they let the Cleveland Barons trademark lapse and allowed the AL team to claim it with no compensation?

So then you'd have two former NHL identities in MLB, with the Colorado Rockies being the other.

When the Rays move to Montreal, they could become the Quebec (province) Nordiques and make it a trifecta.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Exactly. The polls that ask Indigenous People if they are offended by team names never bother to ask the second question - how important is it to you? My guess is that the name of the Cleveland baseball team isn't topping anyone's list of concerns on the rez. But hey, take the wins you can get, right?

I would have liked to see all the native-themed teams pay into some general fund that would go toward improving material conditions on reservations (along with the obvious bans on fans acting like idiots at games -- oddly enough, the Chiefs fans seem to be among the worst at this, even though the brand itself is pretty neutral). The money from the NFL teams alone would make a nice dent. Instead, it's a redistribution of wealth to design agencies and public relations firms.

Citizens was my suggestion for Montreal MLS (ou Citoyens). Didn't expect it to turn up here but I can roll with it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, beachperroAZ said:

I like where you are going but the woke crowd will probably claim that the club is making fun of the old name Indians.  Maybe the Cleveland motors?

I was thinking about different names today. Cleveland Engineers, Cleveland Conductors. Using train imagery for logos. Maybe something relating to warplanes. I just kind of like the idea of the new name being something mechanical in nature because it's different. 

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

I was thinking about different names today. Cleveland Engineers, Cleveland Conductors. Using train imagery for logos. Maybe something relating to warplanes. I just kind of like the idea of the new name being something mechanical in nature because it's different. 

I like that. I say go with the trains for the imagery.

My personal favorite is Guardians. Some one suggested Cleveland Buzzards. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

12 hours ago, O.C.D said:

I was thinking about different names today. Cleveland Engineers, Cleveland Conductors. Using train imagery for logos.

In Search of the Underground Railroad

Sharing its southern border with two slave states, Ohio was a key player in the operations of the Underground Railroad in the years leading up to the Civil War. Many different routes runaway slaves followed crisscrossed the state with several ultimately passing through Cleveland, or "Station Hope" as it was codenamed, a city that teemed with abolitionists and Underground Railroad conductors. Once in Cleveland runaways were sometimes guided eastward to Buffalo and onward to Canada or west towards Sandusky and into Canada by that route but steamers docking in the city's harbor often ferried the fugitives across Lake Erie to freedom.

Perhaps this could be incorporated in some way? Maybe as a hidden element in the primary or secondary logo? It's such an important part of the city's history.

On the other hand, perhaps it's too important to be part of a baseball team's permanent branding. Maybe it would be more appropriate for a Cleveland Cavaliers "Station Hope" City Edition uniform.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Archived