Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

5 hours ago, 29texan said:

JOBPVORYMBEGBINRKFNWMNDWM4.png

Yea, the curved lines and sharp points of the spider legs clash really badly with the straight and angular lines of the block C. Either they would need to make the spider legs more abstract to fit with the C, or make a C that fits within the shape of a spider. This amalgamation of the two wildly different styles doesn’t work.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

No thank you. I don't know how to make spiders un-terrifying to people terrified of them, but I think the team would need to go abstract rather than mostly literal.

FWIW, I'm terrified of birds, but that fear has never made me afraid of a sports team named after a bird.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

Yea, the curved lines and sharp points of the spider legs clash really badly with the straight and angular lines of the block C. Either they would need to make the spider legs more abstract to fit with the C, or make a C that fits within the shape of a spider. This amalgamation of the two wildly different styles doesn’t work.

I posted that more as my thoughts on what the team should go with as a name, not to critique the logo.

I understand what site this is and all, but still...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

47 minutes ago, 29texan said:

Aldo, I'm not getting this whole "Spiders sounds like a minor league" thing, either. 

Like... Explain that.

My biggest issue with Spiders is that to me it sounds generic/interchangeable. In that way I could see someone saying the name sounds Minor League.

Love it or Hate it the name Cleveland Indians is/was iconic.

Here's my take.  A human-spider would be the ultimate player, being able to wear 5 gloves (and spin webs to catch balls too.)

Couldn't figure out how to watermark it, so if you post this elsewhere, please give appropriate credit, and if you use it for merchandise, I get 50%.

dHnSMK4.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

58 minutes ago, 29texan said:

Aldo, I'm not getting this whole "Spiders sounds like a minor league" thing, either. 

Like... Explain that.

The best known Spiders teams other than the baseball team is a college in Virginia, and a hockey team that went under in the 1990's.  That's part of the reason it's viewed as minor league. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, 29texan said:

I posted that more as my thoughts on what the team should go with as a name, not to critique the logo.

I understand what site this is and all, but still...

Exactly. I HATE spiders (heebie jeebies) and I would be for the name Spiders. 

Too bad for that no name Disney. They might have been something if only they would have used something as a mascot other than a dirty mouse! 

13 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Here's my take.  A human-spider would be the ultimate player, being able to wear 5 gloves (and spin webs to catch balls too.)

Couldn't figure out how to watermark it, so if you post this elsewhere, please give appropriate credit, and if you use it for merchandise, I get 50%.

dHnSMK4.png

But tell me this...

How would it wear its pants? 

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The best known Spiders teams other than the baseball team is a college in Virginia, and a hockey team that went under in the 1990's.  That's part of the reason it's viewed as minor league. 

No one knows of that college and or cares. I bet .01% of the sports population knows of that school. 

So that would prevent a team from using a name? 

27 minutes ago, BBTV said:

dHnSMK4.png

This is the kind of Wyoming Marinerzz-level stuff I miss from this board.

RIP Lamicus. Good night, sweet prince.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

9 minutes ago, selgy said:

No one knows of that college and or cares. I bet .01% of the sports population knows of that school.

Richmond Spiders. First #15 seed to ever beat a #2 seed in the tournament. The team they beat? Syracuse. I think it was 1993, but I'm not sure. FTR, that was off the top of my head and I seriously doubt I'm in the top .01 percentile of sports knowledge.

BB52Big.jpg

On 12/14/2020 at 12:31 AM, SFGiants58 said:

That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to say for some time! The Indians name has known consecutive decades of failure, with only a few bright spots in between mediocrity and trashiness (‘95-‘01, 2007, and 2016-‘19). Changing the name might have been a good idea in 1994, especially to wash the stink of the past few decades out of their club.

This argument has come up a bunch of times in relation to the history of the team, or perhaps just repeatedly hit on by one or two users.   But saying that an identity's historicity is invalidated by losing a lot or having your triumphs be many decades in the past is just crazy.

Then why bring the Browns back to replace the Ravens?   Why did we celebrate the Hornets and Jets coming back?   Why did we celebrate the Brewers and Padres returning to color schemes and logos from earlier in an identity that has won less than or equal to the Indians of the last thirty years?  Why don't we switch the Mariners, Rangers, Rays, Tigers, Rockies, Sharks, Canucks, Bears, Cardinals, Lions, Chargers, Bills, Jets, Vikings, Bengals, Knicks, and Pacers to a new Brandiose identity given that the recent history of those teams has been nothing but either losing or disappointment on the penultimate step and is therefore worthless?

9 hours ago, NightmareinParis said:

Rockers shouldn't even be considered since the Rockies exist. Not to mention they were already a WNBA team.

The Rockies and their fans have taken every single nickname, marketing buzzword, and hashtag that could possibly be used by an identity with Rock in it's name.   It's a totally untenable situation in the same sport.

9 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

My biggest issue with Spiders is that to me it sounds generic/interchangeable. In that way I could see someone saying the name sounds Minor League.

Love it or Hate it the name Cleveland Indians is/was iconic.

The Cleveland Wildcats!

On 12/14/2020 at 1:45 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Cleveland Spiders Uniform Design

That script looks like it's trying to be the over-done old-timey baseball look the Red went with and everyone wants them to ditch.   They can easily go with the same script font they have now.   Here's a super dirty mockup just using letters from the current wordmarks.

C0gOze9.png

Yes..   I know...   The S is terrible.   It's literally the top curve of the C in Cleveland in the bottom curve of the I, but I was busy and already spent too long on it and it's just proof of concept for mostly the rest of the script.

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I know that Guardians has some local relevance, but it’s still a clunky name. And there isn’t an easy shorthand that’s any better. 

"Guards".

spacer.png

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Richmond Spiders. First #15 seed to ever beat a #2 seed in the tournament. The team they beat? Syracuse. I think it was 1993, but I'm not sure. FTR, that was off the top of my head and I seriously doubt I'm in the top .01 percentile of sports knowledge.

In this bubble of uniform geeks (like us) we might know. Especially when we are focused on the topic. But do we really think that many if any mainstream sports fans will know this? 

1 minute ago, selgy said:

In this bubble of uniform geeks (like us) we might know. Especially when we are focused on the topic. But do we really think that many if any mainstream sports fans will know this? 

Yes. Honestly, just accept you're wrong on this part.

You can think Spiders sounds minor league without slapping a perfectly fine college through the window.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived